Guild Capital Ship

Ravendax

How many people can you fit on the personal ships?

Also, wouldn't it be cool if some bigger guilds 'claimed' some spots in the galaxy? Like a certain room on Drummond Kaas? (That place has so many rooms!)

I know that doesn't really help, but neither does another thread on this topic.

I imagine they could pop it out with all the usual guild functions of the "guild mansion" concept but I can see Bioware delaying it until more of the space expansion is set in stone. It would be pointless to add such ships only to not have them have any connection to future space expansion.

• 11 months later...

Wanted to toss in ideas of what should be expected and what would be very much awesome and loved. First as a function would be a place that your entire guild can meet and we know there are guilds with huge numbers, so the ships we'd get would need to fit "all" kinds of numbers as well as those huge into RP. It would be nice to assign members to rooms and even have his/her name near their bed to show "this is where you'd sleep". Hopefully with this new Galactic Starfighter play they could work in a "TOR's version of Jump to Lightspeed" as well as working in guild capital ship battles. That would be a loooooooonnnnnnnggggg way after them just putting in the housing part of the Ships I'd assume. Customizing the interior and exterior would be essential, having a really BIG cargo hold since you have your own "Big" ship.

Hope many would support those ideas and the Dev's take notice.

• 1 month later...

The funny thing is that I have played MMOs that had guild bases... and they didn't break the game! the "common areas" (fleet) were still busy as hell because the guild base did not have vital/extensively used items like PvP or Ops/raid terminals. You could customize your base, have meeting in your base, RP and PvP in your base, and those games were fun.

Why are there so many players that think this is crazy? Explain why?

The funny thing is that I have played MMOs that had guild bases... and they didn't break the game! the "common areas" (fleet) were still busy as hell because the guild base did not have vital/extensively used items like PvP or Ops/raid terminals. You could customize your base, have meeting in your base, RP and PvP in your base, and those games were fun.

Why are there so many players that think this is crazy? Explain why?

I can understand why people would be concerned, but I am actually concerned about the opposite. In DDO I was apart of half a dozen guilds that had guild airships and each and every single one was not used except to quickly buff. The airships ended up being a waste of time and in my eyes added nothing of value to the game except a cheap gimmick. Will that happen in this game too? You bet your bottom it will. The guild ships will come, people will flock to them and find they miss the life that exists in the fleet then those ships will be left barren.

Now is what I said reason to not do it? HELL NO! I still want guild ships even if I think they won't add much long term value. They are a fun feature to have and can be immense for roleplay guilds as well as an immersive tool for all players.They should be expensive and offer many guild benefits.

I can understand why people would be concerned, but I am actually concerned about the opposite. In DDO I was apart of half a dozen guilds that had guild airships and each and every single one was not used except to quickly buff. The airships ended up being a waste of time and in my eyes added nothing of value to the game except a cheap gimmick. Will that happen in this game too? You bet your bottom it will. The guild ships will come, people will flock to them and find they miss the life that exists in the fleet then those ships will be left barren.

Now is what I said reason to not do it? HELL NO! I still want guild ships even if I think they won't add much long term value. They are a fun feature to have and can be immense for roleplay guilds as well as an immersive tool for all players.They should be expensive and offer many guild benefits.

Now THAT is a well thought out explanation of one's opinion. Thank you.

Hey DEV,

Back in beta was not suppose to be "in near future" Guild housing ? I remember reading about something like Guild Capital Ship.

Hey buddy, this may come as something as a surprise to you but:

Some of the same developers have been telling us this was coming for years. It's not their fault to dream of a good idea, it's the fault of the parent company for laying them off before their pet project could be realized.

I have a similar experience of Anarchy Online and its player cities. In the Alien Invasion expansion they introduced the ability for guilds to purchase plots of land around the world and build a city there. Besides theoretically serving as a meeting place, they also were the location for mini raids where aliens attacked the city and players got to repel them and infiltrate their ship. With a cloaking device in the city you could call in the aliens on demand, and they wouldn't attack at other times.

What actually happened is that every guild rushed to buy a city for themselves and equipped it with a cloaking device. The guild members then continued to hang out in the big NPC cities where everyone else was, and only went to their own city to have an alien raid. The world was filled with ghost towns, each with copies of the exact same buildings in slightly different arrangements.

Guild housing may seem like a nice idea, but I've yet to see or hear of an implementation that results in them having any social significance.

I'm not against the idea, and if implemented, I may even purchase one for my own guild to see what it's like. I'm just saying that it's probably not the savior some people seem to imply.

Edited by DataBeaver

What are your expectations for a guild capital ship? I see this brought up all the time but it always sounds like a smaller empty fleet to me.

If they do it anything like STO fleet (Guild) starbases then it would be a case of go out and get comms, parts etc come back and add them to a project. When you've added enough stuff you can upgrade to the next teir. Repeat for next tier... They do unlock new in game items as you level it up.