Mako starts letting me down - time to dump her?

Count_Haake

Greetings fellow Bounty Hunters,

leveling my Arsenal Merc (currently lvl 43, first char) I've had a good time with Mako by my side. So far, that is. In the last few levels she has started to act weird, not giving me that good warm feeling (heal) when I need it, instead fooling around with other guys (trying to electro-stun non-stunnable enemies for ages etc.). And even when I get her attention, it just doesn't feel like it used to be (amount of heal often is too small).

Should I dump her? Or is this just a temporary crisis?

(Are Gault and Torian good companions? I take it that Gault is a sniper and Torian a tank... still wondering why one of Torian's main stats seems to be accuracy, which is needed for ranged combat instead of melee)

Any good hints?

Greetings fellow Bounty Hunters,

leveling my Arsenal Merc (currently lvl 43, first char) I've had a good time with Mako by my side. So far, that is. In the last few levels she has started to act weird, not giving me that good warm feeling (heal) when I need it, instead fooling around with other guys (trying to electro-stun non-stunnable enemies for ages etc.). And even when I get her attention, it just doesn't feel like it used to be (amount of heal often is too small).

Should I dump her? Or is this just a temporary crisis?

(Are Gault and Torian good companions? I take it that Gault is a sniper and Torian a tank... still wondering why one of Torian's main stats seems to be accuracy, which is needed for ranged combat instead of melee).

Any good hints?

Have you kept Mako's gear up to date? I've levelled both a merc and powertech and pretty much used Mako through out, without any problems.

Gault is indeed a sniper, and Torian is melee dps, who uses aim as his main stat. If you are level 43, you have most likely done Hoth, and Blizz is the ranged tank, again who uses aim.

With dps Merc, since you have the capability to off heal, it doesn't really matter which companion you use. If you use dps like Gault or Torian, or tank like Blizz you would most likely have to off heal now and again. Or you use Mako and just dps and let her keep you alive.

Edited by Chemic_al

Double check to see if she is in Healing stance

Mako's tendency to electro-shock kinda drove me crazy to start with, but it can be helpful.

She will usually shock the first target you attack, so if you a mix of leets and regs, firing off a couple quick shots at the leet will cause her to cc him while you take down the regs.

IMO, Gault is more suited to a PT than a Merc and Torian does OK as a face tanker but doesn't really have the skill set to keep aggro or live very long against anything higher than a silver without heals

Edited by Stressfire

I turned off the electro-shock all together as it did not help that much and got much more heals out of her at that level, and yes, need to keep her geared as well.

Exactly what every one should do with all their healer comp's CC. All of the healer comp CC are 8 sec channeled, that is 8 secs when they are not healing. Not to mention they use it on first aggro when you more or less take a front load of burst damage. You can hotkey their CC and use it only when needed,

Well, like all healer companions, they get a form of CC, which i recommend you turn off completely, it gives more heals in return.

Also, keep in mind that the healer companion can get very good results in just plain green gear, while tanks and dps, tend to need blues to get the same results, which i think bioware need to sort out.

Mako is 100% the best choice for DPS.

Once you are geared in full 61s or better, depending on the situation you can use a DPS companion instead of her. If you are doing dailies with no threat of death, you shouldn't be using a healer.

Once you are at the point to use something other than a healer, here is the ranking:

1) HK

2) Torian. He is better than the others because he uses Aim and can use all your old gear, and has DPS abilities as opposed to tank abilities

I do my basic PvE stuff with Torian. I find that he does between 50-75% of my own damage output (both of us are well geared) so he really speeds things up. He can solo trash mobs almost as fast as I can. Another cool thing is that he uses AoE fire and sets up your Rail Shot without you having to waste Incendiary Missile on trash mobs.

-----Everyone else is Sub-Par-------------

3) Blizz. He is better than gault because he can use all your old gear. Its much easier to gear a companion who is the same class as you. (Try convincing a group that Gault needs that Agent drop....) But he is worse than Torian because he has tank abilities whereas Torian has DPS ones

4) Gault. He is technically better than blizz because Gault is DPS and Blizz is a tank. However, due to the nature of getting Cunning gear for Gault, Torian is better in every way

5) Skadge. He can use your old gear, but he's a tank spec. He's basically a mirror of Blizz, but is less cool

not giving me that good warm feeling (heal) when I need it, instead fooling around with other guys (trying to electro-stun non-stunnable enemies for ages etc.). And even when I get her attention, it just doesn't feel like it used to be (amount of heal often is too small).

Turn off her cc (use your own if you need to), also check her gear level as it sounds like you may have wrong stats on her or have her undergeared.. Ran with her up to Lvl50 with no issues (occasionally used Torian for extra dps). Mainly use HK now, but still use Mako once in a while.