13-12-16 Hybrid

ZeppFreeloader

I am a couple thousand xp from hitting fifty, and was looking at what build to go with. I have played with all three of the trees and am not too impressed by the top tier abilities. As such I was looking at a hybrid that would maximize the utility of static barrier, give decent healing and decent DPS. This is is what I came up with, but being new to the game (only played for 2 months) I am willing to take your opinions more seriously than mine.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201GhboMZf0RMbZfrcMo0z.2

At end game you don't really hybrid between 2 styles as such, you either DPS OR heal, doing both results in less than mediocre performances from both. Your dps wouldn't be that great as you haven't picked up Sith Efficacy meaning your Force Lightning will drain a ton of your force. Resurgence isn't all that great a heal either, it's decent for on the move and proccing innervate (imo) but speccing into it purely just for some small heals isn't worth the points.

I wouldn't put the point into subversion either due to having the 1 point in wrath to have no cooldown on force lightning, you'll find you won't be using lightning strike much if at all.

if I were you I'd completely get rid of the healing tree and stick to Lightning/Madness hybrid.

I myself prefer full Madness (for pvp) as I enjoy spreading damage across multiple targets.

The build looks good on paper, but suffers from one glaring weakness when you use it : force. You will run out of juice very, very fast once you start healing.

For a more viable off-healing spec, you need to use a 7/18/16 build, with 2 points in Lightning Effusions (50% force reduction when you crit). I use this build for soloing and for PuG HM FP as a dps : you're trade off some DPS for cheaper heals, and a very effective AOE 'trash mob' combo with Force Storm -> (proc) Lightning Storm Chain Lightning -> Death Fields.

NotRonin,

Force will make this problematic if I try to be a straight healer with this build, I understand this. However, this is a dual-role build designed to switch from healer to dps and back again smoothly. I am worried that I would be losing the quick cooldown static barrier with a 46% reduction in force cost and the most efficient fph for an ally in the game, Resurgence, for a small increase in AoE damage and a buff that would require attacking to get the force reduction on healing.

Can you post your build, and explain further how this would benefit me?

A hybrid dps/heal build makes you sub-par in both roles and unless you are hitting 50 with full dread guard will make you a liability in HM FP's and Ops. In a gear-appropriate grouping you won't have enough dps to beat enrage timers and as the healer you'll be gimping your ability to heal.

If you really want to dual-role, buy Field Respec from the Character Perk tab in your legacy (costs 200k & requires legacy level 5) so you can respec between full heals or full dps as needed. For gearing I'd go with the healer set bonus (dps is one is pants imho), trying to heal without the 2pc set bonus is not fun.