Shadow PvP Video

HyperThomas

Thankyou! :D I'll be sure to check out those videos.

The single saber appearance is a bug that occurs with the new Cartel Market Saber.

Also, on the topic currently in discussion in this thread... Shadow Tanks need to be nerfed, (take it from 2 shadows), along with a few other class/spec combinations that are a little on the powerful side.

IMO: Commando DPS needs some mobility buffs, Scrapper needs a slight damage buff to keep it at the level of Infiltration.

I agree after strictly only playing tank spec variations (only run it for rateds now) I have been running deception or madness for some time now and I can admit that the tank spec could use a nerf damage wise. I am just worried that in doing so assassin could be a spec not wanted for rateds. Maybe lower the damage to dark charge but give us some armor back or something.

I agree after strictly only playing tank spec variations (only run it for rateds now) I have been running deception or madness for some time now and I can admit that the tank spec could use a nerf damage wise. I am just worried that in doing so assassin could be a spec not wanted for rateds. Maybe lower the damage to dark charge but give us some armor back or something.

True, it's not totally overpowered, rather balanced in the wrong way.

Just need a balance for the tank spec to be more tanky and less heavy hitting.

Great vid. I'm lvling a Shadow atm. I enjoy playing the class. My big reason for playing is to see which is "better" (opinion here)... concealment or deception/infiltration.

As of right now on my oper I seem to have the edge on equaly geared deception/infiltration. He is only 1/2 geared WH w/no min/max. My full EWH deception guildie and I have some very fun fights. He takes off a piece of gear or two to lvl our stats :) Most of the time the duels are won/lost in three ways

1. When he chains crits on the 4k+ damage attacks it's hard for me to keep up if defensive cooldowns aren't going my way

2. Long fights that could go either way but someone has to win.

3. Easy win, if I time (and get lucky) on my CCs/Dots. I'm able to 8sec mezz and heal 1/2-3/4 of my health. Or have time to mezz, 1 heal, explosive probe, orbital strike then backstab to break mezz :) It's quite the burst

Have you run into any min/max opers? I've love to watch a vid of those fights.

is it jsut me or are you keyboard turning and backpadeling through the whole video?

ok im getting confused here..

Im not trying to be hater, and i do appreciate everyone that makes movies because in the end that's an awesome contribution for the community, but the author must be open to criticism also :)

I never played shadow/assa at 50 so i cnat say i know all the dos and donts.But i cant see all this "skill" people are referring too.

Again, i dotn ahve a good opinion about the majority of the swtor pvp comunity..lets say, they are the kind that shouts "SKILL OMG" at high crit movies...(i have seen it in Smash crit videos..)

But, apart form the constant backpadeling and what appears to be keyboard turning+some clicking( and lets say these allready take some points out of you)..What exactly "skilled" did he do"?like..did he performed any out of the ordinary skill moves...demonstrated good positioning..outplayed people? or did he just damaged(and given his gear..outdamage people)

again, not tryint to be a hater, obviously an above average player(there are pretty bad players out there)..im just trying to be a bit more critic because in the end you are helping the community and i just want it to be more..hmm..competitive(lets not have it like WOW where average players achieve godmode status due to fanboys and completely overrated movies, like swifty for example)

ok im getting confused here..

Im not trying to be hater, and i do appreciate everyone that makes movies because in the end that's an awesome contribution for the community, but the author must be open to criticism also :)

I never played shadow/assa at 50 so i cnat say i know all the dos and donts.But i cant see all this "skill" people are referring too.

Again, i dotn ahve a good opinion about the majority of the swtor pvp comunity..lets say, they are the kind that shouts "SKILL OMG" at high crit movies...(i have seen it in Smash crit videos..)

But, apart form the constant backpadeling and what appears to be keyboard turning+some clicking( and lets say these allready take some points out of you)..What exactly "skilled" did he do"?like..did he performed any out of the ordinary skill moves...demonstrated good positioning..outplayed people? or did he just damaged(and given his gear..outdamage people)

again, not tryint to be a hater, obviously an above average player(there are pretty bad players out there)..im just trying to be a bit more critic because in the end you are helping the community and i just want it to be more..hmm..competitive(lets not have it like WOW where average players achieve godmode status due to fanboys and completely overrated movies, like swifty for example)

with classes that have "attack from behind" mechanics it's very easy to use a jump/keyboard turn (while strafing) to get these attacks off. I personally think it's easier than trying to mouse turn while strafing a moving target that is also strafing.

Also I button click-a-plenty outside of my most used abilities because I can't keep the binds straight on all my toons. I am an above average pvper and "beat" plenty people that buy extra gear to play the game. No character is that difficult to play in this game that extra out of game gear purchases are necessary. No one would argue that the toons are tough to play :)

But! To each their own.

Also as an attack from behind class it can make sense to back peddle from time to time for the best placement and not turn your back vs other sins/shadows/opers (like he was fighting plenty of when their dmg maul/shadow strike proc was up). Or, because someone you are attacking is trying to back peddle, just trying to stay one back peddled step ahead :)

with classes that have "attack from behind" mechanics it's very easy to use a jump/keyboard turn (while strafing) to get these attacks off. I personally think it's easier than trying to mouse turn while strafing a moving target that is also strafing.

Also I button click-a-plenty outside of my most used abilities because I can't keep the binds straight on all my toons. I am an above average pvper and "beat" plenty people that buy extra gear to play the game. No character is that difficult to play in this game that extra out of game gear purchases are necessary. No one would argue that the toons are tough to play :)

But! To each their own.

Also as an attack from behind class it can make sense to back peddle from time to time for the best placement and not turn your back vs other sins/shadows/opers (like he was fighting plenty of when their dmg maul/shadow strike proc was up). Or, because someone you are attacking is trying to back peddle, just trying to stay one back peddled step ahead :)

ok

But im sorry i dont agree, and im pretty sure from a competitive p[oint of view everyone would tell you the same..keyboard turning wont EVER be better then mouse turning..since mouse turning can be instant..so if you are strafing aroudn someone...you can "cut" ur circle way betetr...u can turn aorudn instantly, and therefore you can pull off way more atacks that require targets back, any "rogue" type class player that plays at higher levels wil tell you that.

Also, its so easy...but REALLY easy, to negate out backs to someone that is keyboard turning..since i can instantly turn away..and straf with my front ALLWAYS to him.Basicaly, without slows or stuns you wont ever pull off a backstab on me if you keyboard turn, it jsut wont happen.

Sugestion, next toon you lvl(since you seem t be quite the ALTaholic :D) do it all the way with mouse turning, it will get you sued and you wont ever be able to go back to keyboard turning, and then you will see the advantages :)

But! To each their own.

Agree here, just because he runs backwards and clicks some ablities he "loses points" lol, because clearly I'm elite since I have 57 keybinds...that makes me a pro pvper, and anyone with a different playstyle sucks since someone on WOW told me this a long time ago and so that makes it gospel. /sarcasm

Different people have different playstyles, In this game, I've seen terrible keybinders and great clickers. I think the best way to go at it is a hybrid technique in this game, though having a mouse with many buttons, I personally don't play that way myself. Anyway, how good someone is doesn't depend on their playstyle but how skilled they are at that certain playstyle. Just because you can't do it, doesn't mean someone else can't be successful with that different playstyle.

For example, just because I have a mouse with many buttons, I don't think everyone who plays differently is less skllled, or that it's the only way to be a good player. The guy in the video is very good at playing shadow, no doubt, and it's not being a "fanboy" to say that he's definitely one of the better players of his class.

Edited by Solarenergy

ok

But im sorry i dont agree, and im pretty sure from a competitive p[oint of view everyone would tell you the same..keyboard turning wont EVER be better then mouse turning..since mouse turning can be instant..so if you are strafing aroudn someone...you can "cut" ur circle way betetr...u can turn aorudn instantly, and therefore you can pull off way more atacks that require targets back, any "rogue" type class player that plays at higher levels wil tell you that.

Also, its so easy...but REALLY easy, to negate out backs to someone that is keyboard turning..since i can instantly turn away..and straf with my front ALLWAYS to him.Basicaly, without slows or stuns you wont ever pull off a backstab on me if you keyboard turn, it jsut wont happen.

Sugestion, next toon you lvl(since you seem t be quite the ALTaholic :D) do it all the way with mouse turning, it will get you sued and you wont ever be able to go back to keyboard turning, and then you will see the advantages :)

Guarantee you aren't even good.

ok

I wasn't making an argument to be disagreed with :D:p I was just giving you an explanation on how these classes function since you don't play them.

I do plenty of mouse turning (90%+), sure I may get a fraction of a second from time to time using 100% mouse turning. But I have never had an issue with how I play. There are times where the jump/turn is faster for me when I'm on a stabber class, especially after I use force speed or the oper speed boost and I'm moving crazy fast. The jump lets me move on a completely straight path, turn around in air, attack and keep moving the same direction when land. It seems to work well vs melee because I'm back out of their range quickly. I do find it funny when classes like Pyros constantly jump turn when they strafe tho. They think they are being slick, but in reality they are turning their back.

Anyway. We hijacked this thread. Which makes us bad.

Agree here, just because he runs backwards and clicks some ablities he "loses points" lol, because clearly I'm elite since I have 57 keybinds...that makes me a pro pvper, and anyone with a different playstyle sucks since someone on WOW told me this a long time ago and so that makes it gospel. /sarcasm

Different people have different playstyles, In this game, I've seen terrible keybinders and great clickers. I think the best way to go at it unless you're a warrior/knight is a hybrid technique in this game, though having a mouse with many buttons, I personally don't play that way myself. Anyway, how good someone is doesn't depend on their playstyle but how skilled they are at that certain playstyle. Just because you can't do it, doesn't mean someone else can't be successful with that different playstyle.

For example, just because I have a mouse with many buttons, I don't think everyone who plays differently is less skllled, or that it's the only way to be a good player. The guy in the video is very good at playing shadow, no doubt, and it's not being a "fanboy" to say that he's definitely one of the better players of his class.

about the mouse vs keyboard turning-all the professional players that play games compared to the swtor mechanics(mostly mmos etc) DONT keyboard turn..ever..none of them, it would be too much of a coincidence for ti to not be the most optimal way to play.Im not saying you can perform as a keyboard turner, im just saying, at higehr rated levlees, you wont succeed since, given the same skill, any mouse turner will have a huge advantage on a keyboard turner.Its not a matter of judging styles its a matter of optimizing gameplay.Its a fact that mouse turning is better, has been for years, in several different game styles(fps...mmos..) (obviously im not talking about strafe...i mean 100% left and right keyboard turning)

About his movie-Like i said, "the most skilled shadow" why?i honestly cant see an exceptional skill, he doesn't outplay anyone, or perform any move that showcases higher then average skill..awareness..etc.or am i missing something?I still consider him a better then average player, but the movie itself doesn't show anything remarkable of skill imo...which doesn't mean he ISN'T skilled, i sjut dont get how the swtor community judges this clips..

I wasn't making an argument to be disagreed with :D:p I was just giving you an explanation on how these classes function since you don't play them.

I do plenty of mouse turning (90%+), sure I may get a fraction of a second from time to time using 100% mouse turning. But I have never had an issue with how I play. There are times where the jump/turn is faster for me when I'm on a stabber class, especially after I use force speed or the oper speed boost and I'm moving crazy fast. The jump lets me move on a completely straight path, turn around in air, attack and keep moving the same direction when land. It seems to work well vs melee because I'm back out of their range quickly. I do find it funny when classes like Pyros constantly jump turn when they strafe tho. They think they are being slick, but in reality they are turning their back.

Anyway. We hijacked this thread. Which makes us bad.

I've seen powertechs/vanguards do the jump and circle strafe thing even to snipers/gunslingers, lol. And the gunslingers would just sit there in cover probably lol'ing doing charged burst and aimed shot till the powertech died.

It's always funny to see those hopping powertechs/vanguards. Guess it makes them feel more "skillful" playing their three-button class.

is it jsut me or are you keyboard turning and backpadeling through the whole video?

Keyboard turning

Backpedaling

Clicking

All declared as terribad or noobish techniques by self proclaimed "experts" in the field.

You play the way that feels natural or right, these "pro gamers" aren't pro because they don't do these things, it's because they have learnt to play their way.

As for Swifty, first of all WoW is a totally different game... but most importantly he is basically just trying to sell gaming products for companies, and telling his viewers that they must own this product to be pro, or if you don't have this you are gonna die. Total ******** IMO, when it comes to MMO gaming practice with YOUR game style is the only way to get pro.

Keyboard turning

Backpedaling

Clicking

All declared as terribad or noobish techniques by self proclaimed "experts" in the field.

You play the way that feels natural or right, these "pro gamers" aren't pro because they don't do these things, it's because they have learnt to play their way.

As for Swifty, first of all WoW is a totally different game... but most importantly he is basically just trying to sell gaming products for companies, and telling his viewers that they must own this product to be pro, or if you don't have this you are gonna die. Total ******** IMO, when it comes to MMO gaming practice with YOUR game style is the only way to get pro.

Well SWTOR is more forgiving, but WoW if you have a gaming anything you will have an advantage over a player who does not. Does that mean you'll always lose if you don't get this stuff, no. But, it's a big help when fighting people.

But compared to SWTOR and WoW, SWTOR is a lot more forgiving when it comes to back-pedaling, keyboard turning and clicking. I don't recommend any of them while playing but I still back-pedal just due to the fact I like to see what's going on in front of me and if I turn around then I lose vision of the objectives.

Well SWTOR is more forgiving, but WoW if you have a gaming anything you will have an advantage over a player who does not. Does that mean you'll always lose if you don't get this stuff, no. But, it's a big help when fighting people.

But compared to SWTOR and WoW, SWTOR is a lot more forgiving when it comes to back-pedaling, keyboard turning and clicking. I don't recommend any of them while playing but I still back-pedal just due to the fact I like to see what's going on in front of me and if I turn around then I lose vision of the objectives.

Indeed

Combat is slow in SWTOR, and I feel Kinetic Shadow is one of the 'slowest playing' damage classes.

I would never get away with clicking in Galaxies.

Honestly, I think the game is so forgiving I do not even notice the difference.

Keyboard turning

Backpedaling

Clicking

i dont disagree, im just saying its not the optimal way to do it, a top keyboard tuurner wont evr turn as fast as a mouse turner due to game limitations(speed on turning), you can actualy turn instantly with the mouse..jsut point the camera in that direction and click right button and puff! instant turn,keyboard wont ever be that fast...so if 2 peopel of the same class/gear/skill meet..and one keyboard turns and the other one uses the mouse..the mouse one will have a bigger advantage no matter what

you should try to get used to it, use an alt and lvl that way :) i assure you you get used to it REALLY fast