New Ability Bar Cooldown effect

Sammojo

Look at your keybinds on your hotbar, the number lights up if it is usable, if it isn't, it is dull...

I found this out instantly.

Now I am finding out why so many people stand in fire, you are all glued to your hot bars.

Saying people are glued to looking at the hot bar and standing in fire, while saying "just look at the number to tell" is pretty damn funny to me. We go from, at release mind you, having an entire icon to tell whats up at a quick glance. To looking at a number that's like 20 times smaller then said box for the ability, all the while having a light show going......baffling.....

This makes it even harder to tell what the hell is going on in a hectic encounter.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still no acknowledgement from the devs. God bless BW.

You remind me of students who will e-mail me at 9 pm and then again at 11:45 pm complaining that they haven't got an answer.

It is 10:45 am in Austin. On top of whatever else they had planned for this morning, they need to:

(1) Scan the forums

(2) Summarize opinion

(3) Discuss

(4) Formulate a response

Of course, if I were them, I might want to do something more rewarding than (1) to start my day, due to the rabid anger and lack of tolerance exhibited by so many community members.

They will respond in due time. Be patient. If you really feel like you can't play, go off and do something else for a while. It might calm you down too.

I feel the new system is a great improvement. Hope it's not too hard on the framerate or anything though.

I hadn't complained about not being able to clearly see my abilities come off of cooldown because in the future, the addon-controlled performance will be entirely different (OmniCC-like). But making the stock UI be improved at this was a good idea.

Not sure. But I am confused how you made it this far considering the ridiculous amount of flashes present in the game outside of the CD mechanic.

i dont have epilepsy or light sensitivity yet this flashing makes me dizzy. so maybe this patch broke me as well as their game?

Saying people are glued to looking at the hot bar and standing in fire, while saying "just look at the number to tell" is pretty damn funny to me. We go from, at release mind you, having an entire icon to tell whats up at a quick glance. To looking at a number that's like 20 times smaller then said box for the ability, all the while having a light show going......baffling.....

This makes it even harder to tell what the hell is going on in a hectic encounter.

How bad is your eyesight? The numbers are massive in the current UI.

I can;t wait till i can edit this UI to make it smaller, it's far too big.

This is what I was going to say. The solution, as has been mentioned earlier, is to get 3rd party mods activated.

I kinda suspect that, as a general rule, the people who like it are not involved in end-game raiding and those who hate it are -- because the idea of planning moves three or four GCDs ahead of time is a raiding phenomenon.

I disagree. I don't raid and do think of moves in advance and how I will approach and fight each mob or groups of mobs.

In any case, I will not be playing until this evening so have no reaction yet. If things are a problem, perhaps we will get a fix of the fix of the fix.

PS - Appreciate the attention to ability bars, but will ability delay issues ever really be fixed?

OK now that I've cooled down some, and played more, I gotta say, man you guys need to fix this TONIGHT.

One of my guildies made the comment, "they're not very good at this MMO thing are they?" Hate to say true story but it sure seems that way.

First of all, we don't have a skill queue which took some getting used too but whatever. A skill queue - where you can hit 2 or 3 skills while they are on cooldown and stack them up, so that they go off as soon as they come off CD. I strongly suggest you log into Turbine's Lord of the Rings Online to see how it's done the right way.

Now, to be effective in combat we have to to hit skills as soon as they come off CD which we are all now used to and are doing. But during combat you have to anticipate which skill you will hit next, and to do so you need to see which skills are 'lit up' or available (meaning off their proprietary CD and triggered by whatever of several different requirements make them available) and wait for the GCD to expire, and then hit them quickly.

With this latest patch 'fix', the cooldown animation brightness, the thickness of the white line, and the dark following shadow all combine to visually obscure which skills are going to come available when the GCD expires.

It totally screws up the tempo and smoothness of combat - yes you have fixed some combat mechanics but now you have cut off the player from the game interface and made it difficult to interact with the combat system.

Keep the technical changes, which were needed, and go back to the previous very lightly shaded light blue cooldown animation, please.

And I would suggest that you boys back off the throttle a couple notches on patch releases, you have the appearance of chasing your tail and rushing content out the door that has not been thoroughly tested by the player community. Johnny Dev trying out a new feature at 2:00 AM after an 80-hour week with bleeding eyes is not player-based playtesting.

I love this game, don't make me hate you.

Another reason for some customization options.

After playing with this change I find my combat and tempo more smooth and easier as well as more fun because I'm spending less time looking at my bars. It was so different that it felt weird not having to glance at them as much yet doing just fine with somehow 'knowing' what was next. I expect it's because of how the brightness of the the gcd in my periphrial is working with my muscle memory or something of that nature.

And I'm not suggesting that people aren't having problems or shouldn't be. Only that some sort of customization options are needed so players can match what works for them.

I am a star wars junkie; I want to play all day. I can't now. The bar flashing hurts. I did my dailys on belsavis and by the time I was done I had a minor headache and felt dizzy. If this is not removed I have no choice but to cancel my sub. Who wants to play a game that makes you feel ill.

On top of all that I can't tell what button to push until the animation is over; this means as a DPS I am loosing a fair amount of DPS or I have to just use a few skills i know will work. Oh wait, I can't do that well either since i run out of force and end up spamming buttons that don't work. This is just game-breaking.

I've just seen it in action and have to say - awful. All it shows me, flashing all around my view (bars at the edge of the screen flash, of course, too) the global cooldown, over and over again. Exactly the one thing I do not need to be shown - especially not in such an annoying in-the-face way. I want to see cooldowns, long and short, at a glance.

Even worse than before. Why can't it just reverse to what it was at launch? The mere fact that after the first and now second change there is so much discussion about it shows that the animation wrong - if it were right, we could just acknowledge it and go on. In beta and upon release I never spent a thought of it, it just worked, did its job and not get in the way. Ever since they started fiddling with it it was always wrong in one way or another - now even more than before.

I am a star wars junkie; I want to play all day. I can't now. The bar flashing hurts. I did my dailys on belsavis and by the time I was done I had a minor headache and felt dizzy. If this is not removed I have no choice but to cancel my sub. Who wants to play a game that makes you feel ill.

On top of all that I can't tell what button to push until the animation is over; this means as a DPS I am loosing a fair amount of DPS or I have to just use a few skills i know will work. Oh wait, I can't do that well either since i run out of force and end up spamming buttons that don't work. This is just game-breaking.

Why don't you know which ability to use until after the animation is over?

got on today and was excited to see the improvement.

alas i am finding it is now harder to plan out what skills to use, instead of a quick glance at my main attacks i now i have to check my remaining focus and my current buffs/procs before choosing my skill.

something trivial now requires alot more attention and quick math, i have to check 3 things instead of one. and on top of that, the flash thing that happens at the end of each gdc is exacerbating things

I'm not a big fan of the GCD cooldown flare. It's ok for my sith sorcerer, but for my sniper, it makes it harder to see which ability to use next. Sorcs can hardcast all of their abilities (but generally do not want to). Snipers cannot; their procs are conditional. Keep the flare if you want, but for the love of god, light up the procced abilities a little more than they are currently. It's hard for us colorblind people to see.

got on today and was excited to see the improvement.

alas i am finding it is now harder to plan out what skills to use, instead of a quick glance at my main attacks i now i have to check my remaining focus and my current buffs/procs before choosing my skill.

something trivial now requires alot more attention and quick math, i have to check 3 things instead of one. and on top of that, the flash thing that happens at the end of each gdc is exacerbating things

Or you can just look at your keybind and check if it is lit up or not.

Simple.

I'm not saying you're not having a problem but that I do think that it's not necessarily across the board with everyone.

I read a lot of this thread before going to play my Jugg and was expecting the worst. Yep at first it was bright and felt strange but I didn't notice a huge difference in terms of not being able to play it. After giving it a good hour of play plus one flashpoint tanking I found that I was having to actually look at my bar way less as this change seemed to make the reactions from occur from my periphial vision. I'm actually enjoying playing more now then I did yesterday as I'm spending less time looking or glancing at my bar to manage it. Muscle memory is working great. Maybe it has to do with how my bar is set up.

If anything I think that BW should offer options because after playing with this change I personally wouldn't want to go back to how it was before.

I'm guessing you're right in a pve environment things probably don't feel that different. You can sleepwalk through most of it using 2-4 skills, but in pvp where you use a lot more of your more situational abilities things get much more complicated.

As for the guy who always knows exactly how much rage he has and exactly when all his abilities come off CD all I can say is "bull@#$%". If that's the case then you're not using more than half of your abilities (again, probably a pve'er.)

If this is making people unwell, it WILL get removed or become optional, and quickly. Seen similar things in other MMOs get changed very quickly. At the end of the day the Devs do want people to play their game. Hopefully.

As for me, I don't like it, but it seems a lot more annoying on my Scoundrel than my Sage for some reason.

People who are posting here asking those who don't like the bar "what's your problem" are not addressing the issue and are just immature chest-puffers. Please stay off this thread. If you like the bar say so; if you don't say so. But grow up and get off the other players.

^ this, way less stressful looking at the icon rather than a small number, try doing that while pvping.

Or you can just look at your keybind and check if it is lit up or not.

Simple.

Except you CANNOT TELL if its up or not while the GCD is going.

Since we now have to wait until the GCD is finished to check if its up or not, we have to wait that much longer.

The entire POINT is that we know if an ability is available BEFORE the gcd finishes, so we can press it just as the gcd finishes.

Something you fail to understand.

I concur with you on this. I think with the way it is now you have to wait longer to see what moves you can use, at times missing the chance to even cast some or just spam your rotation and hope the moves went off. I can hardly play the game with how it is now.