Is It just me? Are Scouts a bit OP?

mr_sim

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The star guard is my second ship, and I don't even bother with that cheap tricks known as gunships and pikes.

Your weapons have accuracy boosts in their upgrade tree no? IC has one first teir. And I was giving you a list of things to counter with. As for scouts outrunning you, well no frigging kidding they are paper ships did think they are supposed to be slow?

PTorps have what 20% crit chance? And they crit for like what? MY ENTIRE HULL. And all your posts can be solved by nerfing distortion field not scouts (I don't run distortion, I run quick charge for the engine bonus)

Concussion still does 30% to hull and completely wreck my shields leaving me vulnerable.

The second strike is a long range missile ship if your trying to close quarters dogfight with it your going to be wrecked, its like trying to melee on a commando.

Strike power comes from their heavy weapons, you don't have to track your targets you just blow them out of the sky. Scouts are a pure dogfighter, we have to track and follow targets, so if you die us you died because you got outplayed.

Clearly don't know a thing about a strike class. Ion's are the ONLY weapon with an accuracy buff and its only 6% that's not going to do squat against what we are talking about especially since its accuracy and range aren't great to begin with (hint same range as your "dog fighting types" and have to do the same thing a scout has to do in close range)

PT only get a 10% chance to crit, if some on manages to get a 4 second lock-on on you with these things you got out played. Same can be said for Concussive missles its do easy to break missile locks that if they get one off you got out maneuvered/ out played.

Strike's don't have to track their targets......? Seriously you don't know how to play a Strike the only 2 different lasers a strike gets that a scout doesn't are Heavy laser cannons and Ion Cannons everything else is exactly the same, the Second scout can get quads and all the other weapons are 4k meter close range weapons all requiring the same skill to fire and hell with LESS maneuverability and Speed in a strike so some one landing a Ion cannon shot on you is playing more skillfully then you landing a Rapid fire laser on them same range, less maneuverability, less speed and less rate of fire and more energy consumption. You have it the other way around, if you are dieing to a strike you got out-played.

Clearly don't know a thing about a strike class. Ion's are the ONLY weapon with an accuracy buff and its only 6% that's not going to do squat against what we are talking about especially since its accuracy and range aren't great to begin with (hint same range as your "dog fighting types" and have to do the same thing a scout has to do in close range)

PT only get a 10% chance to crit, if some on manages to get a 4 second lock-on on you with these things you got out played. Same can be said for Concussive missles its do easy to break missile locks that if they get one off you got out maneuvered/ out played.

Strike's don't have to track their targets......? Seriously you don't know how to play a Strike the only 2 different lasers a strike gets that a scout doesn't are Heavy laser cannons and Ion Cannons everything else is exactly the same, the Second scout can get quads and all the other weapons are 4k meter close range weapons all requiring the same skill to fire and hell with LESS maneuverability and Speed in a strike so some one landing a Ion cannon shot on you is playing more skillfully then you landing a Rapid fire laser on them same range, less maneuverability, less speed and less rate of fire and more energy consumption. You have it the other way around, if you are dieing to a strike you got out-played.

you obviously don't know jack-didly-squat about anything other than distortion field.

I take your one of those sods that does nothing but try to close quarters dogfight with me? You want to get a head to head with me, you will lose the maneuver game period, if you think a strike should be able to win the maneuver game against a paper scout your just being thick.

Also Stikes have 2x the armor and 2x the shields than a scout, that's your compensation. And your weapons hit harder period. You have your advantages I have mine, not stop trying to play your strike like a flashfire.

I have stated before the class that is the least threat to scouts are other scouts. A good strike is far more trouble to me than a scout, because I can keep a scout from getting enough contact time to burn me but a strike requires just seconds of contact time to kill me.

Strikes should look for opportunities to blindside burst a scout, you never going to win a protracted 1v1 dogfight at close quarters.

Edited by Zoom_VI

To the OP. Cry some more. And when you're done, go look over the abilities your striker has that every scout pilot is drooling about. You have harder hitting weapons, better shields, comparable turning if you spec for it.

The baseline scout is a snub fighter who specializes in recon and ambush, if you die to a blackbolt or a novadive its entirely your fault, especially in a striker. They're on your 6? Start weaving, power shields, be ready to hit engine maneuvers to evade our crappy missiles which you could absorb with you shield anyways. Got hit with a sab probe? What were you doing for the 5 seconds that I was locking that on to you? While you're at it, pick up a companions that can blow out 40% of a targets engine pool then power your own engines and bugger out, the scout won't catch you going 40% slower and with 40% less power. Want to give a scout pilot heart attacks? Start locking missiles on them and then just hold it there and watch them waste their defensive abilities. When they are out, re lock and blow them up with one missile. See them pop distortion? quit shoting, you're not gonna hit. It only lasts 3 seconds anyways. And evasion does nothing to counter missiles so if you really hate scouts get some cluster missiles, upgrade them, and take out scouts with 2 2 second locks. Here is another pro-tip, get in close before firing your missile if you actually intend to fire. It gives them less room to run and less time to pop an engine ability. Basically L2P.

Same deal against the more advanced scout except these have more DCD's and more punch. Thing is though, you can still evade them for quite a while. I suggest you look up some classic dogfighting maneuvers and practice pulling them without engine abilities. For example, learn to barrel roll. If you roll to the side while also making a slow circle in the middle of your screen with the cursor you will do a corkscrew which makes you very hard to hit from the front. Increase the radius of the corkscrew if attacked from the rear. If you have a wingman, have him shut off his engine, boost by him, then slow down yourself and power shields. If he's any good he'll blow that scout off your arse in a hurry. Another thing you can do is learn to hump obstacles, power your shields and get into some tight quarters, a good scout will keep pace but trying to line up a shot is a nightmare while flying around node C in lost shipyards for example.

GSF is arguably the most balanced content ever released in SWTOR. Level doesn't matter, gear doesn't matter, latency/team composition doesn't matter, there are almost no bugs and no "I win" skills. The only things that matter are 1) you skill as a pilot 2) Your coordination as a member of a team 3) Your spacial awareness 4) Your time invested into your ship(s) of choice. Anyone can get good at GSF by putting in some effort and using their head. So FFS sake quit crying for nerfs, this isn't warzones, this isn't based on clicked abilities and you can't nerf skill so learn to play and quit crying on the forums.

you obviously don't know jack-didly-squat about anything other than distortion field.

I take your one of those sods that does nothing but try to close quarters dogfight with me? You want to get a head to head with me, you will lose the maneuver game period, if you think a strike should be able to win the maneuver game against a paper scout your just being thick.

Also Stikes have 2x the armor and 2x the shields than a scout, that's your compensation. And your weapons hit harder period. You have your advantages I have mine, not stop trying to play your strike like a flashfire.

I have stated before the class that is the least threat to scouts are other scouts. A good strike is far more trouble to me than a scout, because I can keep a scout from getting enough contact time to burn me but a strike requires just seconds of contact time to kill me.

Strikes should look for opportunities to blindside burst a scout, you never going to win a protracted 1v1 dogfight at close quarters.

Clearly don't know a thing I use all ranged weapons I am talking about scouts that are unkillable if you are flying directly into their face starting at 9KM out or scouts that you can get on the tail of starting at 7km out and not being able to land a single shot thanks to insane evasion stats granted by CD's. I am not using those Short range weapons that you "fear" because that's what Ion Cannons are they are short weapons you are the one suggesting to fight in close and then when I tell you doing that will just get one killed you are assuming I am doing so and saying well DUH.... stupid your the one that suggested it and was complaining about it. My weapons don't hit harder, yours Do both classes have the same weapons but a scout actually has access to damage boosting abilities. With the damage boosting abilities it doesn't matter that I have 50% more shields or Armor because you do double damage. If you aren't using Distortion shields that is your own fault for not using the most OP shields in the game.

If I were not flying a strike the way it was meant to be flown I would not average 8-16 kills a match and I would not average 25-50k damage a match with 50% accuracy. You speak of things you know nothing about.

Edit: NVM when all of you actually run into a good scout let me know enjoy knowing scouts will forever have top leader boards top kills and least deaths when played to their fullest if you get killed by a strike in a scout you got out played period and the records will always show just that.

Edited by tunewalker

punctuation has little to do with the validity or strength of an argument.

Actually punctuation has a lot to do with the validity and strength of an argument because without punctuation it is often impossible to understand the point a person is trying to make. If people can't understand your argument then it has no strength and very little validity.

To address the op, scout ships die to other classes all the time you just need to work out how to counter them. Yes they are fast, yes they are hard to hit so find ways to work round that. If you take on a scout alone in a larger ship you will have a hard time hitting him so take him on with a wingman or lead him into the turrets of a satelite you control for extra dps. Another method is to get him playing a circling game, which makes him almost still, and have a gunship shoot him. Scouts can usually be one shotted by gunships.

If you use some thought and teamwork no ship class is overpowered.

(Apart from bombers apparently but I didn't try the PTS so I don't know.)

Scouts don't top the leaderboard. Skill tops the leaderboard. And by the way, if you are having trouble with the striker, you have 4 options.

1) Optimize it to hunt scouts (turning radius, quick charge shields, cluster missles, turning or engine debuff comp)

2) Quit trying to hunt scouts and do whatever it was you built your ship to do instead

3) Try a different class

4) Cry on the forums while accomplishing nothing other than whining to the devs to ruin the only balanced piece of content they have ever produced because you refuse to adapt. (can't blame you, works great for smashers in pvp but thats another story)

Scouts don't top the leaderboard. Skill tops the leaderboard. And by the way, if you are having trouble with the striker, you have 4 options.

1) Optimize it to hunt scouts (turning radius, quick charge shields, cluster missles, turning or engine debuff comp)

2) Quit trying to hunt scouts and do whatever it was you built your ship to do instead

3) Try a different class

4) Cry on the forums while accomplishing nothing other than whining to the devs to ruin the only balanced piece of content they have ever produced because you refuse to adapt. (can't blame you, works great for smashers in pvp but thats another story)

tell that to this http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=703085 really the only thing I find OP is Blaster Overcharge and Distortion Fields. Its giving them there near invulnerability and the far to strong of burst for far to long everything else about a scout (its speed its maneuverability everything) is perfectly fine but those 2 abilities are pushing them far ahead of everything else.

Distortion field: It lasts 3 seconds and doesn't prevent cluster missles from hitting. Problem solved

Blaster overcharge: Power shield, directional shields, superior maneuvers, quick charge shields, engine abilities. Dodge. Problem solved.

Also the leaderboards are not a good measure of scout merit. Ok so there are about 12 exceptional pilots flying scouts who currently dominate the kill records. So what? Did you control for premades and voice coordination? Did you control for whether or not they were fighting scrubs who were still trying to figure out how the power management works? I got 16 kills in my scout a few days back because the entire rep team was newbies still learning to avoid asteroids. That doesn't say anything.

Distortion field: It lasts 3 seconds and doesn't prevent cluster missles from hitting. Problem solved

Blaster overcharge: Power shield, directional shields, superior maneuvers, quick charge shields, engine abilities. Dodge. Problem solved.

Also the leaderboards are not a good measure of scout merit. Ok so there are about 12 exceptional pilots flying scouts who currently dominate the kill records. So what? Did you control for premades and voice coordination? Did you control for whether or not they were fighting scrubs who were still trying to figure out how the power management works? I got 16 kills in my scout a few days back because the entire rep team was newbies still learning to avoid asteroids. That doesn't say anything.

Fully upgraded Distortion field prevents missile locks.

Blaster overcharge when fully upgraded can drop those very shields and the ships armor in around 2-3 seconds they last around 10 seconds.

The scouts I see on my server Average 60-80k damage a game and 14-17 kills better then most gunships, while yes there are a few noobs on the opposite side their seem to be just as many on their side, some of them run premades but 1 I know runs solo, yes some of it is skill but a lot of it is the 2 abilities I mentioned. Look at the upgrades they matter.

Also leader boards matter in the sense that if it was just all skill then we would see an occasion strike class get a lucky game where it dominates and gets high damage but this NEVER happens because they simply don't have the Offensive, defensive Cds to dish out the kind of punishment like the scout does with the kind of impunity the scout can do it with.

Edited by tunewalker

I smell large quatitiies of L2P. On a strike one hit from ion completely destroys a Scout's shields and two blaster hits to the scout's nonexistent hull are fatal. The only thing that keeps a scout alive is its pilot's skill. Peroid. If the scouts are not being shot down its because they are being attacked by lesser players.

You could also roll a gunship and just laugh while you one-shot the scouts from 15km away

UNLESS in a scout you are able to sneak up on the gunship and tag them hard while they're busy sniping someone else.

Just sayin'.

As a scout pilot, it isn't so much about the kills for me when it comes to gunships, but disrupting their sniping. Make 'em relocate and they aren't sniping.

But I fly scout almost exclusively, and I don't think they're OPed at all...I die all the time. I still prefer the scout's speed though. I just think it's more fun to play.

Good pilots are overpowered because they outmaneuver me. They need to be nerfed.

Story of this thread.

I am just going to upgrade the flashfire and Lawls at everyone who said they were fine, the first time I took one out I got 50k damage and 15 kills the ease of getting those kills is incredible. The fact that nobody sees it is what makes it even more hilarious when its recorded all over the leaderboards. Ignorance is bliss no wonder so many of you guys are happy with them.

I am just going to upgrade the flashfire and Lawls at everyone who said they were fine, the first time I took one out I got 50k damage and 15 kills the ease of getting those kills is incredible. The fact that nobody sees it is what makes it even more hilarious when its recorded all over the leaderboards. Ignorance is bliss no wonder so many of you guys are happy with them.

I just playing my strike for the first time and I got 100 kills and 1 mil damage.

Anecdotes are fun.

Even if your story is true, then all it does is back up my argument of you where trying to play your strike like a flashfire and losing because that's not what strikes are for.

I just playing my strike for the first time and I got 100 kills and 1 mil damage.

Anecdotes are fun.

Even if your story is true, then all it does is back up my argument of you where trying to play your strike like a flashfire and losing because that's not what strikes are for.

It is true, and like I said you don't know a thing about how I play each kind of ship don't assume try to get 80k on a strike go ahead when some one any posts 80k on a strike I will concede but its never going to happen so enjoy the frutility of it :D.

Like I tell people who make outrageous class-based complaints about ground PvP, If you consider a class OP, play it yourself. You'll know its strengths and weaknesses and you'll realize that grass isn't as green as you think it is. Oh, and you'll realize how to dismantle it, too.

It is true, and like I said you don't know a thing about how I play each kind of ship don't assume try to get 80k on a strike go ahead when some one any posts 80k on a strike I will concede but its never going to happen so enjoy the frutility of it :D.

I know how 90% of people can't tell the difference between a fighter and what rates similar to a fighter-bomber, and as such play Strikes like a flashfire and of course get raped by people playing flashfires like a flashfire.

As for 15 kills, lol I get 13 or so kills just guarding B in kuat by sitting still and just turreting people as they try to kill the turrets. ofc a strike would be better at that type of head-tohead but I haven't upgraded my strike to where I would like it.

Also all your arguments are based on the assumption that every single flashfire uses blaster overcharge and distortion field. I use neither and know others that do the same.

Edited by Zoom_VI

I know how 90% of people can't tell the difference between a fighter and what rates similar to a fighter-bomber, and as such play Strikes like a flashfire and of course get raped by people playing flashfires like a flashfire.

As for 15 kills, lol I get 13 or so kills just guarding B in kuat by sitting still and just turreting people as they try to kill the turrets. ofc a strike would be better at that type of head-tohead but I haven't upgraded my strike to where I would like it.

Also all your arguments are based on the assumption that every single flashfire uses blaster overcharge and distortion field. I use neither and know others that do the same.

Your fault for not using the most OP abilities in the game so if you aren't getting more then 10 kills every game with more then 40K damage you only have yourself to blame not your ship class. Your ship class has access to them not using them in their current Op state is under preforming.

Your fault for not using the most OP abilities in the game so if you aren't getting more then 10 kills every game with more then 40K damage you only have yourself to blame not your ship class. Your ship class has access to them not using them in their current Op state is under preforming.

Nope, I don't use blaster overcharge and distortion because they don't fit my fighting style. I prefer the engine boost from quick charge and have booster recharge as I am usually running between objectives. I do use retro but then again star guards have retro aswell.

10 kills? Now your pulling numbers out of thin air. I said 13 kills while doing nothing but sitting still guarding a node. your acedote about getting 15 kills on a flashfire is pathetic. And I almost always have most kills+assists, except for every once in awhile when a gunship will out do me.

Star guards are fine, most people I fight just don't know how to effective use the double primary. And if you think Pikes are underpowered, excuse me while I laugh at you.

Nope, I don't use blaster overcharge and distortion because they don't fit my fighting style. I prefer the engine boost from quick charge and have booster recharge as I am usually running between objectives. I do use retro but then again star guards have retro aswell.

10 kills? Now your pulling numbers out of thin air. I said 13 kills while doing nothing but sitting still guarding a node. your acedote about getting 15 kills on a flashfire is pathetic. And I almost always have most kills+assists, except for every once in awhile when a gunship will out do me.

Star guards are fine, most people I fight just don't know how to effective use the double primary. And if you think Pikes are underpowered, excuse me while I laugh at you.

Let me know when a Star guard or a Pike get lucky and get 80k, they aren't underpowered Scouts using Distortion Field and Blaster overcharge are overpowered. The 10 kills thing was pretty much saying on a bad day half drunk you can get that with those abilities on a Flashfire.

Almost always top kiils + assists....oh the ship is fine everyone just sucks and I AM LEETS, never for even 3 seconds thinking maybe its the ship.

Edited by tunewalker

I find scouts easier to take out in my gunship than strikers.

I find it easier to farm requisition in my scout.

I can do more damage overall in my gunship, but only if the rest of team is competent. I usually start in a scout and then if the team seems solid, I'll switch to gunship.

With a scout I can fly all over the map, taking on targets of opportunity and easily disengaging if things get too hot. Likewise, if a node suddenly starts losing turrets, I can get there faster.

1 on 1 vs a striker, I'll usually die in my scout ship... but I don't have to do a 1 on 1 if I don't want to. I think that's the 'OPness' of the scout - not that they're better damage dealers or better in a fight, but that they get to choose which fight they're in.

These are true words right here. Scouts may feel OP when played by a skilled pilot, but ANY ship will feel that way if you're squaring off with a more skilled pilot than you.

Scouts are not designed for sustained fights. Wittle them down with all you got, and watch as they try to flee from your missiles/blasters (In a striker of course. Gunships just sit back and snipe :p). Scouts will pester you, but they will run (Especially if they aren't as skilled as you are). If you're going against a veteran Pilot though, it really doesn't matter what your flying, cause the person is just better then you. Simple as that.

Why else would everyone complain about ALL the ships being OP? Because someone better then them flies it, kills them, and now they think its OP. I don't think one Ship style has not been called OP yet.

I think I want to agree with the OP. I primarily play scouts and I usually am able to maneuver around strike fighters and gunships to give me the upperhand pretty easily. Tbh, my average life in a scout is over half a match, so it isn't a question of longevity either. Only on occasion do I find myself being chased down and killed by a strike fighter.

And whenever I play as a strike fighter, I just feel at a disadvantage as opposed to what I'm used to with my scout.

Gunships, are just boring and I don't enjoy playing them at all.

Edited by Soul_of_Flames

Scouts are not designed for sustained fights. Wittle them down with all you got, and watch as they try to flee from your missiles/blasters (In a striker of course. Gunships just sit back and snipe :p). Scouts will pester you, but they will run (Especially if they aren't as skilled as you are). If you're going against a veteran Pilot though, it really doesn't matter what your flying, cause the person is just better then you. Simple as that.

^^this