Nightmare Testing on PTS: Change in Method or in Live Release?

There were issues with the launch of DP NiM, but one of the biggest complaints was that top tier progression is being hurt as well by the fact that the entire Operation moves from PTS to live servers sans changes. Is the better option to continue as they are on PTS with the full set of fights available and have mechanics changed here and there for the live version, or to do as in some other games and limit how much is seen on the test servers?

Just wanting opinions on this. I honestly doubt it will change anything, and despite working on NiM content, I don't know that our guild will ever have the desire to put in PTS time before live anyway. Trying to see how others feel on this in general in regards to the challenge of top tier Ops relative to achievements, as well as in relation to where other MMOs sit.

Do what they did with NiM TFB, make the PTS fight easy. People can test out the mechanics and sort out the bugs/exploits. Then when it come live, buff the damage, HP etc.

You get to test the content this way without really affecting progression on live.

Edited by Iwipe

Do what they did with NiM TFB, make the PTS fight easy. People can test out the mechanics and sort out the bugs/exploits. Then when it come live, buff the damage, HP etc.

You get to test the content this way without really affecting progression on live.

I don't really see this as a good example because when NIM TFB came out, many of the "top tier" raiders were complaining about how DG was "mathematically impossible" and thus resulted in two nerfs of the fight. These days, with people unable to skip content in NIM by dropping down to HM, this would create a bottleneck that people would probably quit the game over. SWTOR has never been a great game for end-game raiding and it never will be. Surprised people haven't figured that out by now.

Edited by Bunions

This. Top raiders complained because since they couldn't do it, the raid was impossible. Then after a week it was nerfed slightly and the top raiders still complained, but finally a group was able to do it.

This. Top raiders complained because since they couldn't do it, the raid was impossible. Then after a week it was nerfed slightly and the top raiders still complained, but finally a group was able to do it.

6 Guilds killed the launch version of it. All did hit enrage however but in 2/6 if they executed even better they wouldn't had enraged.

...many of the "top tier" raiders were complaining about how DG was "mathematically impossible" and thus resulted in two nerfs of the fight.

Not that many really. I think it deserved one nerf and the second one was a bit unnecessary

If it indeed it was so many complaining it paints a picture of the top tier community rather than the difficulty. There are no bosses people have to work 100 hours to finish. I think it speaks volumes of the competitive community if few weeks on a boss is considered unbeatable obstacle as far as time consumed is a measurement. :o

Lastly, I think it's obvious that PTS testing is necessary for bug fixing but the top tier guilds are spending quite a bit of time there. Personally, with minimal changes to the operation, I don't even consider the race to start when it hits live nowadays. In fact, maximum kudos and gratz to people who get the first, but I think the whole community feels the current PTS system is .. sort of ruining some of the fun. And constructive ideas, or returning back to how it was before (Dulfy's post), are worth the community to require.

Edited by Ruskaeth

I don't really remember that many people complaining about it being that hard. The minority more than the majority. "Two nerfs" were actually one fix and one nerf, if I remember correctly.

But, PTS is a necessary evil. It does need to be tested but it does need to be vastly different upon coming to live. But in that, NiM should be releasing with HM instead of after. So guilds haven't worked on and seen bosses for months.

Edited by maebeebuzz

What they did with TFB was fine. They just need to do it better. Rather than arbitrarily increasing the health and damage values with no logical basis (which is what I'm sure they did), they should do some data-mining to determine what level of DPS the PTS raiders are doing, then tune it so the live version would require people to match the best PTS teams in order to clear.