Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

**pops in, utterly exhausted before going back to bed**

Watch the real life stuff guys, like religious and political topics. I don't want to see anyone get into trouble for that.

I've got to try to sleep before I keel over.

**poofs for a bit**

Edited by natashina

What new questions have come up on this topic?

I'm just wondering...I've gotten the impression that it's the same ones asked over and over again.

It's a little hard to move on to additional points when they still refuse to answer the basics.

I just wrote a short blogpost about this issue ( http://www.in-character.de/one-year-in/ ). It isn't very good, not very long, and whoa, my English is rusty, but it is heartfelt. Unfortunately I do not have a lot of readers, soooooo.... we need a lot more blogposts! :D

EDIT: I just shot off a short message to MMOmeltingPOT ( http://www.mmomeltingpot.com/ ), and informed them about the SWTOR podcast, the LezGetReal blogpost, and my own post. If they do a little post with these links there might be a spike of incomming traffic.

Woot! Great job, Artanisia.

Imagine my shock when I read this Medscape headline:

Obama's Fiscal-Cliff Plan Said to Repeal SGR

:rolleyes:

[ it refers to Medicare's "sustainable growth rate" formula ! ] :)

Whoa there! I didn't even know the President was now getting involved in this. :D

And as much as I adore Johnny Yong Bosch... the BH's Torian romance was just uneventful and dull. If they decide to do a same-sex romance arc with him, I sincerely hope they write something that's more interesting than the straight romance arc.
Some of the OGR could use some brushing up. I've only played the femConsular so far, but as sweet as Iresso is, the romance itself was a little dull.

"Marry me!"

"No, I can't, you know... I'm a Jedi.... the code!" *blushing*

"Please?"

"Argh.... okay, then...* *kiss* :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What bugs me the most about this... is the supposition that EA/BioWare somehow fears this content. That they are holding off on announcing it or discussing it out of fear.

Fear of... what? Bad press? They've already been through all that. Back at launch, the SWTOR devs were all like, yeah, SGR's are gonna be in this game, deal with it. And the conservative media groups, family groups, lobbyists, etc. blasted them for it. They've already been hit for it. Worst case scenario... is what, exactly? A year after launch, they announce SGR, and the conservatives go, 'okay, well, you already said you were gonna, and we already complained about it, which clearly didn't stop you, so there's not a whole hell of a lot else we can do'.

I mean, what exactly is EA/BW supposedly so afraid of? It's certainly not going to hurt sales or anything. At launch, everybody knew about BW's plans for SGR's. (And if you didn't know, what rock did you live under? Did you not read anything about the game, like, at all? Seriously?) Guess what? They bought the game anyway. SWTOR had amazing box sales for an MMO launch, comparatively speaking of course. People, in general, seem to care a lot less that SGR's are planned, than they care that said SGR's aren't in yet. Comparatively, I see a lot less complaints about "gays in space" than I see requests for them. Which indicates to me that the population asking is higher.

Maybe the population campaigning against SGR's is censored. Maybe we're just a really vocal minority. I'm not dismissing the possibility, however, I do hold the firm opinion that bigotry deserves to be censored. You don't have the right to campaign against equality, I'm sorry.

And speaking more specifically on that to DarthRamette, I still don't understand why you don't want SGR's, I really don't. You've seen all of the arguments for it, you're obviously intellectual enough to understand them, and yet you continue to refuse them. Your counter arguments have generally been well-phrased, but... At this point, you just come across as a petulant child stamping her foot because you didn't get what you wanted. "NO I DON'T WANT THEM, I DON'T CARE WHAT THE REASON IS." My question is... why? We're not asking you to present your argument because it's a requirement, we just... don't understand. Most people generally want clarification when presented with something they don't understand.

My appeal to you, DarthRamette, is simple. IT DOESN'T AFFECT YOU. Much like in real life, it really doesn't. People are out there, right now, being gay in the privacy of their own homes. You don't have to see it. In SWTOR, people would be off being gay in their starships. You don't have to see it. It doesn't affect you. This won't be forced on you. It's yet another game feature like PvP or space battles, that you can choose to participate in, or choose to avoid, as per your preference. It's completely up to you. People are still going to be gay, SGR's or no. There's some guy emoting kisses to Corso somewhere, I guarantee it. But... guess what? It doesn't affect you. OGR's don't affect you. There's no indication of which companion a player is romancing. So why, why, do you continue to rail against a feature that you personally don't like, when it won't affect you and you'll never have to see it? I honestly don't understand why you would be willing to deny equality to an entire group of people just because you personally don't like it.

I mean, what exactly is EA/BW supposedly so afraid of? It's certainly not going to hurt sales or anything. At launch, everybody knew about BW's plans for SGR's. (And if you didn't know, what rock did you live under? Did you not read anything about the game, like, at all? Seriously?) Guess what? They bought the game anyway.

I think some still hold out hope that it won't be included after all and to this day it hasn't been so I guess you can't blame them.

Also, there might be back-lash if someone's toon's girlfriend is now "suddenly bisexual" and likes women and OMG that character is ruined now. The cynic in me thinks that if the go the route of adding SGRAs with existing romance options that it will be with the least popular OGRA ones.

**pops in, utterly exhausted before going back to bed**

Watch the real life stuff guys, like religious and political topics. I don't want to see anyone get into trouble for that.

I've got to try to sleep before I keel over.

**poofs for a bit**

Regarding the moderation post we had the other day, such post has been updated

Hello everyone; we've been having to remove a large number of posts from this thread for being off-topic. We ask that you please keep discussions to SGRA as it directly relates to SWTOR - asking for clarification, discussing potential implementations, and similar discussion. Discussion about other games in this thread or anything relating to real-world social or political issues is not appropriate (anywhere on the forums). We'd also like to remind you that discussion of moderation is not permitted on the forums. Thank you for your understanding.

update: To make this message more clear - comparisons to other games are just fine, but if the discussion becomes derailed and is more about another game than just a helpful comparison, that's what we consider off-topic. Discussion of real-world social and political issues is not permitted anywhere on the forums.

anyway as i was trollin swtor.com i was lookin at the companions page and noticed something. when giving companions gifts some gifts tend to differ on effectiveness depending on the gender givin to them ie. courting gifts and while some companions are indifferent to same sex ppl givin them gifts others tended to not mind (as in actually like or love them regardless) like Doc (which him bein bi not very surprising) point is is made me wonder if they had planned on truly implementing gender check romances and just locked them at launch. havent actually tried courting all companions in game so dont kno how true it is or if im just grasping at straws but i found it interesting.

I noticed something interesting last night, as I was looking at the 'Legacy' options that my characters had. I had wondered, but never actually bothered to check to see, and sure enough, no gender check! So I have the option to have my female Sith and female Jedi be married if I so desire (still toying with the idea, but I really want my female Sith Sorcerer with Ashara, and my female Jedi Warrior with Kira, not with each other, although its certainly an appealing backup plan). There is literally same-sex marriage in the game, RIGHT NOW. It seems like getting rid of the gender check for the romances that are already in the game, in addition to being quite simple and something that should be done ASAP, would also be less controversial than what's already in the game. Just an interesting observation. Edited by SirGladiator

As a straight male, I fully support SGRA in all games, not just SWTOR.

I'm never surprised at how many straight people support this. It just baffles me how many bigots think they're in the vast majority, which, according to them, gives them the right to deny us SGR..... Well, apparently because they say so. :rolleyes:

The scene with Han and Chewie: "You can't avoid this subject forever!"

I feel like we're Han, and EA/Bioware is Chewie.

Lol, indeed. :cool:

anyway as i was trollin swtor.com i was lookin at the companions page and noticed something. when giving companions gifts some gifts tend to differ on effectiveness depending on the gender givin to them ie. courting gifts and while some companions are indifferent to same sex ppl givin them gifts others tended to not mind (as in actually like or love them regardless) like Doc (which him bein bi not very surprising) point is is made me wonder if they had planned on truly implementing gender check romances and just locked them at launch. havent actually tried courting all companions in game so dont kno ho
w true it is or if im just grasping at straws but i found it interesting.
I have heard of this. I might want to try that out.

I noticed something interesting last night, as I was looking at the 'Legacy' options that my characters had. I had wondered, but never actually bothered to check to see, and sure enough, no gender check! So I have the option to have my female Sith and female Jedi be married if I so desire (still toying with the idea, but I really want my female Sith Sorcerer with Ashara, and my female Jedi Warrior with Kira, not with each other, although its certainly an appealing backup plan). There is literally same-sex marriage in the game, RIGHT NOW. It seems like getting rid of the gender check for the romances that are already in the game, in addition to being quite simple and something that should be done ASAP, would also be less controversial than what's already in the game. Just an interesting observation.
I think someone here in this thread mentioned having done the same with two of her toons. Nice feature, especially once we get to the romances we'd like to have. :D Edited by Lent_San

I haven't been on this thread in a while, and just wanted to say that I'm glad you guys are continuing to fight the good fight. Maybe some day the devs will actually commit to doing what they said they were going to do and add sgr. I'm not gay but that doesn't mean that everyone should live their lives the way I live mine. Especially when it comes to sexual orientation, since it's not even a choice. Good luck in your endeavors guys and gals! Happy yule/christmas/kwanza/hannukah/whatever else i forgot.

To everyone who would quit the game over this:

Would you quit your job if someone worked there who was in a same gendered relationship? Would you move out of your neighborhood if someone moved in who was in a same gendered relationship? Would you cut all ties to your whole family because one family member was in a same gendered relationship? Would you quit a game because other players could choose to be in a same gendered relationship?

To everyone who would quit the game over this:

Would you quit your job if someone worked there who was in a same gendered relationship? Would you move out of your neighborhood if someone moved in who was in a same gendered relationship? Would you cut all ties to your whole family because one family member was in a same gendered relationship? Would you quit a game because other players could choose to be in a same gendered relationship?

It's an unfortunate reality that such decisions are rarely affected by reason. Now, we're bringing this discussion off-topic as the subject is not about the real-life politics of the situation (Or I would have cited the inalieable United Nations Universal Human Rights earlier) nor is it a discussion for wether or not SGRs should be in this game.

The official stance is that SGRs will be in this game. No ifs, no buts. If people quit the game because of it, that's their decision to make and I'm happy to see them go.

The concern that's remained for 400-odd pages is why the hell can't BW just clarify HOW SGR's will be implemented? It'd be really great if we could know wether or not it's "safe" to level characters to level 50 and finish their class stories if we still want them to romance a particular companion.

I'm still waiting for Makeb to level my Consular because Nadia is so cuuute :(

So, I'm thinking about writing an article about this. The written word is my chosen art form, and though I normally write fiction, I think I'm qualified to write an editorial.

My problem is that, if I do write such an article, I'd be putting a lot of effort into it. It would be written with the idea of accessibility to someone who has never heard of the game. Putting in so much effort would only be worth it if I can reach some people, get some readers. That's the snag.

I don't really have my own platform. In order to publish an article like I'm talking about, I'd have to start my own blog just to do it, and even then it would really only reach the people in this thread when I link it. So I'm hoping someone has an idea for me.

If you have a place that would publish such an article, or know of one, please PM me. I'm not seeking a commitment, I know my work would have to be reviewed before any promises of it being published are made. I'm also not seeking compensation, I'll write the article just because I want to write it.

I'll likely begin work on the article just because I like to write, and see to getting it out there when I'm done. For now, though, if you have a place that would be interested in running such an article, or know of one, I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

Gonna step in real quick and restate something I recall seeing quite a ways back--DarthRamette, I apologize if this isn't something you want reposted, please feel free to report this post for deletion if you'd like it taken down (it'll probably be faster then sending me a pm, I don't check here very often and I almost never check my messages).

Guys, Ramette has said before that they don't like OGR romances, either, and would have preferred this game have no romances at all. I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume that if this situation were reversed--that SGRs were available and people were rallying to get OGRs included--their opinion would be exactly the same. If that's true, then no, there is no discrimination there...just someone who didn't want romance in-game to begin with upset that Bioware would put in even more. And again, romances are far from their only beef with the game, which I think we can agree is perfectly understandable. Heck, even some of the people who want SGRs in have this as their own straw to break the camel's back, just in reverse--its lack of inclusion being why they'd leave.

So please, I know it looked at first to be discrimination, but it isn't. Not from Ramette, at least.

Let's get back on topic before this gets much uglier.

I wasn't able to get ahold directly Jeff and Deidre from TORWars today. I had to crash out for several hours. I will be sending them a letter in the next couple of days if I can't get ahold of them via Mumble.

I'll also be posting the link to the swtorstrategies.com article as well, once it comes up.

What a read! Just be careful everyone; there is a lot of stuff here that could cause infractions.

Take care.

Edited by natashina

I am a straigh male and even though i do not plan any S/S romances when they come i fully support this. The exclution of any group is wrong, as long as they do no harm to anyone.

To those who do not want it, if you say that openly but want to keep your reasons to yourself, do your "cause" a favor, do not say anything at all. You only make yourself look like an ingnorant. Please note: I do not make any assumptions regarding your intelligence.

However, you have to understand that your stance is NOT helping us, AT ALL. In fact, it is likely achieving the opposite effect. Your continued stubborn opposition of SGR's in the public view has more than likely damaged our cause more than you realize. Because you are providing a voice that is effectively telling EA that if SGR's happen, there is a population that will leave, and they will lose money. Companies don't like losing money. The fact that you've given a voice to a population of people that would staunchly deny equality, and would be so offended by equality, that they would stop paying for a product, has likely contributed to the delay of this content, and the assumed fear of this content that EA supposedly has. If they do fear it, it's because of people like you. I'm not saying that you're a bad person, I'm saying that your stance on this is hurting ALL OF US. Maybe if that's what you were shooting for, I guess... congratulations.

[/b][/u]

I would like to add my comment to this, I know a lot more people who will start playing again when this comes than people who will quit.

I'm just going to repeat this from earlier:

If no one likes it, thinks we're wasting our time/EA's time, or just are flat out anti-SGR, go on ahead and write to news sites why you think it's a waste. Make sure you provide 9 months of community research to back up your point. Stuff that is easily checked by an fact checker, with trust worthy links.

Be pro-active like we did. Oh and yes, that FAQ has got several months of research behind it.

Also, make sure you take the time to write a well thought out letter too. And send it off to several websites. Also, make sure the other people that don't want this content do their part.

I'll bet you won't. I bet you wouldn't even think of such a thing. Most people would just sit in the forums, complain and not try to do something.

Edited by natashina