Whats better SWTOR or galaxies?

STL-Phantom

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SWG had some amazing features that TOR does not. Player run/built cities. Sandbox space flight. Sandbox planets in general. Atmospheric flight.

TOR does have things that SWG never did though. Good graphics, great story, better end game.

SWG had tools that allowed players to customize aspects of their game. You could make player cities, own a house, upgrade starships and simply roam around, even. You didn't even have to touch the ground-component.

SWTOR is better, IMO, but could benefit from some of the things SWG had that I listed above.

Apples =/= oranges.

SWG had a more sand-box environment, TOR has a more 'standard' MMO setup. It was the same problem with comparing it with other MMOs of it's time.

There aren't enough sandbox MMOs on the market with a true, serious sandbox nature to even give it a solid comparison of if it was a good sandbox-MMO or not (as AFAIK it's only real, serious competition in that regard was EVE Online; I'd love someone to point out others, because off the top of my head that's about it).

TOR is still in 'launch' phase, and we likely shouldn't make any hard judgments until ~3 months out. Then we can get a better idea of not only the mechanics involved, but how the development team handles fixing problems and responding to player feedback (on the short scale - on the long scale, 6 months and 12 months are better benchmarks for developer responsiveness).

Even if both were still out, though, that wouldn't preclude you from playing both or just the one of your choosing. Asking for other people's subjective opinions is nice, but only you can decide if something is 'better' for your specific user criteria. Some people supplying information may just be biased, after all.

Some things SWG had that are missing in SWtOR, but that's about it.

http://furiousfanboys.com/2011/08/5-things-from-swg-that-would-make-the-old-republic-better/

and below (with some repeats and the last should be omitted as something horrid):

http://furiousfanboys.com/2011/12/swg-memories/

I did love the resource and crafting on SWG much better - very deep, but Bioware was going more mainstream with theirs -- which I can understand.

The number of classes in the original SWG was pretty impressive too.

It just lacked a lot of actual "action" gameplay (i.e. quests were minimal, instances were meh, etc).

P.S. Still leveling in SWtOR -- really enjoying leveling (which speaks VOLUMES about it versus ALL other MMO's) -- so it's a bit early, but I can already say it is much better and seems to keep getting better. With that said, the above are some things I will miss but not to the detriment of the overall experience of SWtOR.

Edited by Darth_Syphilis

Galaxies had some of the coolest MMO features youll ever see that worked very well. I hope Bioware aspires to get at that level for the side features ONLY (traveling, player cities, open world). The gameplay was not that great (bad by todays standards) and I will not miss that.

Played galaxies for about 7 years. Loved every minute. Galaxies has more content overall than any other MMO I have ever played. People got whiney after a big patch and all quit because they couldn't adapt to the changes. Yes, the changes kinda sucked, but I kept playing and enjoyed it until the very last day. The player economy was great. The crafting system had more details than any game will ever accomplish, I strongly believe. The space combat was amazing. There were atleast 50 different ships and you could customize them entirely. You could go anywhere in space. You could go anywhere on any planet. No boundaries. Period. There were more classes, pvp was better and more enjoyable, etc. Way too many things to describe about galaxies if you have never played. Just an amazing game all around. Wish they never woulda shut it down and it woulda gotten a new population to keep it going. SWG 4 Life!!!

SWG was so amazingly bad. I was so excited for the release but was even more excited to stop playing after wasting a weekend playing the game. Tried it a few times after some updates, but was always fail. Player owned cities, the way they were implemented were horrible IMO, there was nothing as exciting as running randomly through the wilderness and happening upon a "player" city which involved nothing but empty houses where people just displayed their crap.

One thing I would love would be to actually have a customized ship. Something that graphically looks different than the 200k people that are playing the same class.

• The crafting system had more details than any game will ever accomplish, I strongly believe. The space combat was amazing.
  • There were atleast 50 different ships and you could customize them entirely.
  • You could go anywhere in space.
  • You could go anywhere on any planet. No boundaries. Period.
  • There were more classes

Yes, good points -- the crafting and resource harvesting -- it can NEVER be understated how great those were.

And said ships about -- weren't many player crafted?

Too early for me to conclude about PVP in SWtOR as I have yet to be in a World PVP area -- but that in and of itself is sort of a negative for me already -- the fact that I am level 25 and have not happened upon any player enemies....

The no boundaries thing was something cool, though to be more detailed, there were level boundaries in the sense that the creature population kept lower level players in certain areas -- unless they wanted to get torn to pieces by a Krayt if they wandered too far out of Mos Whatever ;)

SWG was so amazingly bad. ...Player owned cities, the way they were implemented were horrible IMO, there was nothing as exciting as running randomly through the wilderness and happening upon a "player" city which involved nothing but empty houses where people just displayed their crap.

I agree with this too -- MOST of the player cities ruined many planets' landscapes. The "zoning" should have been better controlled as to where you could build in mass numbers. They could have really made it part of the game -- e.g. guilds could battle in PVP for a specific plot of land and then build there and there could be a timer of once a month or something wherein they could be challenged and then would have to move or something if they lost....maybe

Not possible to compare the two fairly. Both were good games, just depended on what you wanted out of a MMO.

If you wanted to forge your own adventure and create a personal identity while interacting with people along the way, then SWG was better.

If you prefer to be handed a story and archetype for your character for the purpose of finishing standard content, then TOR is better.

SWG had some amazing features that TOR does not. Player run/built cities. Sandbox space flight. Sandbox planets in general. Atmospheric flight.

TOR does have things that SWG never did though. Good graphics, great story, better end game.

SWG never had atmospheric flight and for it's time, the graphics were amazing.

I agree with the other sentiments.

can't really compare them sorry, swtor is a themepark as in you get on the ride and that's it you're strapped in and cant do much when it comes to changing parts of the ride to your liking, swg how ever is a sandbox where you get to for the most part build your own roller coaster and rides.

for me personally i would have to say swtor for playing solo, swg any day of the week for being a mmo, i am very biased though since i typically hate everything about a themepark style mmo and find sandbox to be the most enjoyable part of the mmo industry, i will without a doubt a few months down the road be unsubed from swtor and probably playing SWG(emu), eve and darkfall like usual.

Played galaxies for about 7 years. Loved every minute. Galaxies has more content overall than any other MMO I have ever played. People got whiney after a big patch and all quit because they couldn't adapt to the changes. Yes, the changes kinda sucked, but I kept playing and enjoyed it until the very last day. The player economy was great. The crafting system had more details than any game will ever accomplish, I strongly believe. The space combat was amazing. There were atleast 50 different ships and you could customize them entirely. You could go anywhere in space. You could go anywhere on any planet. No boundaries. Period. There were more classes, pvp was better and more enjoyable, etc. Way too many things to describe about galaxies if you have never played. Just an amazing game all around. Wish they never woulda shut it down and it woulda gotten a new population to keep it going. SWG 4 Life!!!

Pre cu when you entered the game for the first time you were a babe in the woods with a melon and a cdef pistol. The Galaxy was yours. You could make your charater your own with a mix and match of skills. Your actions had meaning. With every combat action you gained or lost faction pts with about 30+ factions. LvL up as a noob on Jabba's thieves, later in the game you couldn't do his missions unless you fixed your standing with him. Not to mention every time you went some where controlled by his faction you would get attacked if your standing was minus enough. If you played for the whole 8 years there would still be planets that you missed things on.

One big thing SWG had going for it was the Time Line. Its was a real treat to see places and faces from the movies.

They are two different style games. Nobody can answere that question for you. Only you would be able to answere it for yourself. Its a shame that you will never be able to.

Edited by Malefik

Pre cu when you entered the game for the first time you were a babe in the woods with a melon and a cdef pistol.

One big thing SWG had going for it was the Time Line. Its was a real treat to see places and faces from the movies.

They are two different style games. Nobody can answere that question for you. Only you would be able to answere it for yourself. Its a shame that you will never be able to.

Oh God -- lol -- I forgot about the "starter melon" -- thanks for the reminder :)

RE: Timeline -- I don't agree with this. I am a huge fan of the original movies, but I prefer the SWtOR timeline as it allows for more possible variance. I also thought it was kind of cheesy to see the "cameos" of characters from the originals as they were just so familiar that it kind ofhad a reverse affect of immersion for me and just seemed like "marketing"... But I may be a minority in that opinion. I just like the expanded universe stuff a lot and don't really need to hang out with Chewie ;)

Pre cu when you entered the game for the first time you were a babe in the woods with a melon and a cdef pistol. The Galaxy was yours. You could make your charater your own with a mix and match of skills. Your actions had meaning. With every combat action you gained or lost faction pts with about 30+ factions. LvL up as a noob on Jabba's thieves, later in the game you couldn't do his missions unless you fixed your standing with him. Not to mention every time you went some where controlled by his faction you would get attacked if your standing was minus enough. If you played for the whole 8 years there would still be planets that you missed things on.

Well said. Gotta love driving in the middle of the desert running into a rock and it blowing up your bike then you have to walk thousands of meters and get ganked by a random krayt dragon. Alot of people are dogging the pvp in SWG. It was amazing! Certainly better than wow and swtor. I, for one, enjoyed NGE pvp the most(partially because I was best in NGE :p). Restuss was always very fun. Despite the huge lag that was unavoidable in large scale pvp battles, they were highly enjoyable. I am still recovering from the death of SWG. 7 years of good times with good friends will always remain though.

Well said. Gotta love driving in the middle of the desert running into a rock and it blowing up your bike then you have to walk thousands of meters and get ganked by a random krayt dragon. Alot of people are dogging the pvp in SWG. It was amazing! Certainly better than wow and swtor. I, for one, enjoyed NGE pvp the most(partially because I was best in NGE :p). Restuss was always very fun. Despite the huge lag that was unavoidable in large scale pvp battles, they were highly enjoyable. I am still recovering from the death of SWG. 7 years of good times with good friends will always remain though.

then why in gods name are you not playing it right now?? This makes no sense to me SWG EMU it's just how you remember it.

It's like people are saying "Man I realy love Chocolate ice cream from Dairy Queen but Dairy Queen isn't around any more" meanwhile there is a Dariy Queen right down the street giving out free chocolate ice cream.

http://site.swgemu.com/forums/index.php

there it is free to play go enjoy

Because the EMU has more bugs and broken features than Vanguard did at launch?

no it has the same bugs that SWG had at launch and guess what they NEED people to help fix it. So if you really loved it so much then why not help and be part of that community that you all love so much.

Edited by jarjarloves