Merc is TERRIBLE

Shredit

The merc is always dead meat in a WZ. The moment any opposing player sees my arsenal merc I get jumped and watch, hopelessly, as I get cut down. I can get off a shot or two with those long cast times, but I know that I'm headed for the respawn point.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all know what the problem is, developers that dont play commando/mercenary so they are clueless.

They must be playing sniper/assassin classes. I mean just imaging the outcry from mele players if a merc

could hit someone for 8-14 k damage in 4 seconds like a mele class can do with ravage/smash.

They would be crying on the forums merc is OP whiine. Just like we now try to complain about the huge imbalance.

I wish on a live stream the best PvP player on the PvP team from bioware would dual a skilled mele player.

Dev playing commando or merc dps ^^ imagine how fun it would be to see the dev lose dual after dual until

leaving after making up some excuse why he hadd to leave...

Btw commando/mercenary should have rocket boost skill in combat that would push them back 30 meters

on a 30 second cooldown.Just as scoundrel/operative should have the same but as a closer in pvp.

Absolutely ridiculous. Over 550 replies and still no response from Bioware.

I take the silence as either they don't think there is anything wrong with the class which is absolutely preposterous or they don't know how to fix the class which given their terrible design choices and history I can see happening. Either way it makes for a poor game and frustrating experience, congratulations Bioware you actually pushed me into a different MMO, despite hating the hype, I hate this game more now. I'm done, last month of my Subscription. Months after months of poor customer communication and even worse design/balance choices make for a terrible game and experience.

Healing on my mercenary is really fun. There are good armor buffs that when you have a partner you're really hard to kill.

DPS I can see why someone would say you just have to stay unseen; you can get pretty ridiculous numbers if you can free cast. The problem is that anyone who looks your way can probably take you down. Compare Merc dps to Sniper and it's kind of obscene how much easier it is to stay alive as a sniper, while putting out more burst damage too.

No, a merc can not get ridiculous number. Not even if he was invisible the whole time. Merc can get DECENT numbers if they are invisible or left alone. Marauders, Juggs, and PTs can get ridicules numbers.

No, a merc can not get ridiculous number. Not even if he was invisible the whole time. Merc can get DECENT numbers if they are invisible or left alone. Marauders, Juggs, and PTs can get ridicules numbers.

this... +all of those classes have far better survivability tools then merc/commando, what a joke.

Bioware should add a new class skill to commando/merc: called "ALL IS LOST!" ---> Switchs your commando/merc to vanguard, problem fixed.

Edited by xxIncubixx

Comparing other 'viable' ranged DPS:

Sorc: Heavy DoTs, Control on channeled ranged attack (Force Lightning), Self heal, Force Speed, Fixed and improved pushback

Sniper: Able to be immune to interrupts and leaps most if not all the time, with Entrench giving immunity to every sort of CC. Can dodge AoE DMG by rolling into cover, can protect himself and the team from DMG outside his bubble, and a pushback that is similar to the Merc.

Merc:

Doesn't have reliable enough, nor heavy enough DoTs to kite like the sorc.

No reliable control on ranged channel (Pyro Merc has a proc chance on Unload for 30% snare 2 seconds). Again affecting kiting chances.

No self heal like the sorc, again effecting kiting possibilities.

No maneuverability like the sorc, again, making kiting and escaping impossible.

And much like the Sniper, most attacks, at least heavy hitting attacks (excluding railshot, or Pyro TD), must be casted stationary. A sniper just needs to take cover first, which takes no time at all (does not affect GCD).

If we take the road that is the most simple at the moment, which is to buff Mercs, there's some things the Devs need to consider:

1) Fix the merc push like you did the sorcs

2) Need more ability to counter melee leap and interrupt, like the sniper does. Redesigning Power Surge might help.

3) Merc Pyro needs increase on CGC chance, since it cannot apply it reliably like the PT. (either proc chance icrease, or the ability to reliably apply it like the PT)

I play a pyro merc and I have to say that pvp is frustrating. I'd have a much more enjoyable time if the class was either A. tougher to kill or B. had utility to avoid/get away from damage.

I am more in favor of option B simply because the merc class is supposed to be lots of damage at the sacrifice of defense. Having more gadgets to use like a jetpack speed boost or jump back would be great. Having a group of mid range (10m) abilities to stun, knockdown and root an enemy would be great as well. Rocket punch with knockback, Shoulder slam with a knockdown and not requiring target to be incapacitated, and a carbonite leg spray that causes a 4 second root limited to 1 second upon damage. Right now most other classes have a very easy time hunting and killing a mercenary. Mercenaries are supposed to be the hunters. I've seldom had the experience of another player going into backpedal/avoid mode once I engage them; it has always been them rushing in to kill me.

I am against buffing our damage because that would only invite a rollback later on. Make us tougher and more slippery. If we are able to stay alive we will prove we can match the top damagers.

stop posting. please

Why then no merc/commando be healer instead??Very good pvp healers. If you're concerned your merc or commando is going to be a deadweight in pvp, respec to bodyguard/combat medic, your team will love you more. ALSO, pyro/assault spec is quite viable in pvp, of course you're most probably not going to top damage (which most uneducated pvp'ers believe pvp is all about ) but as a merc/commando, you're a turret, if you can't shoot things 1v1 then stop shooting them and become a full time healer-peeler. Which in turn will make your team love you long time.

How'd you learn to deal with melee? I've resorted to /stuck anytime I see one of my fanboys chasing me down. I'd rather die knowing I killed myself rather than let anymore op melee have their fun with our clearly weak class.

How do you deal with the 97 stuns/movement slowing moves they constantly spam?

Like I said before, I do struggle against equally skilled players and above because when comparing a Mercenary to a Melee class, the melee class will win.

I think for me as a player I have played this class so much that I have basically learned the In's/Out's of it and timing is the key. I can recognize poor players in a match and adrenals are key that most don't use plus your interrupt is a good tool for channeled abilities. They can buy you time to send off a quick heal or two and finish who ever off.

I am not proclaiming to be the best because ever match I play is something new I learn or improve on. I think what is nice about players that stick to one class can sometime pull off amazing things because of practice.

Things that I have learned that I believe is important to matches.

1) Adrenals

2) LOS (Line of Sight)

3) Interrupt/Stuns

4) Understand what stats you need for your spec to get full DPS output

5) Key to all things is learn timing and try to anticipate what the other class is going to do next and to be honest most players are predictable, especially melee.

Edited by Asturias

Either I just went over your head or you didn't read very carefully. You cannot compare PVE susstained to PVP because you switch targets too much which ruins heat management. There. That simple enough for ya?

I read it your post and understood it. Learn to manage your ammo better. It hasn't been difficult since 1.3, at least in gunnery spec. Besides I'm spotted and singled out long before I begin to have ammo issues. Reserve Powercell, Recharge Cells, and Cell Charger with a the odd Hammer Shot if you're having issues works wonders. Also consider using the PVE set bonuses if you're going to be using gunnery/arsenal.

Please buff this class (i have a 29 merc i stopped leveling because it was ridiculously underpowered).

Agreed. I made a thread in the general forums. Bump it up, perhaps BW will finally take notice and do something. This thread is filled with good ideas for the class.

Thread link: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5337694#post5337694

stop posting. please

Lol cute tactic. Ask everyone who doesn't agree with you to stop posting. Let me think about that...

...NO THANKS GUY!!!

Ever seen a merc do 1 million damage in a regular length WZ? Guss what. They still wouldn't even if they could free-cast the entire time. Merc DPS needs an upgrade ESPECIALLY burst.

Lol cute tactic. Ask everyone who doesn't agree with you to stop posting. Let me think about that...

...NO THANKS GUY!!!

Ever seen a merc do 1 million damage in a regular length WZ? Guss what. They still wouldn't even if they could free-cast the entire time. Merc DPS needs an upgrade ESPECIALLY burst.

I'm sure pretty much everyone would be hard pressed to put up a million damage in even a full length void star. The recent thread where a Rage Mara did it? Even he admitted that it was a mystical aligning of the stars. You basically need an incredibly well geared and well played DPS with a massive spammable AoE that is nevertheless being constantly healed through by the other team, while you yourself have a set of good healers on YOUR team to keep you up.

Fact is I've never seen ANYONE do a million damage in any warzone EVER. Peak I've seen is a around 600k. I did in the high 500s on a full length void star on my commando once, and I saw a mara get close to 600k on a Novarre where south went a long time without being capped.

Fact is that as different as they are any sort of major DPS upgrade in PVP would probably unbalance things on the PVE side without a major rework. At least for gunnery/arsenal. Assault/Pyro might be a different story, if you just upgrade the burst, but I'd much rather see a talent to make Charged Burst proc plasma cell 100% of the time and a talent way up in the tree making it instant. See how those two changes (or just one of them, preferably the second) affect things before they go making big changes.

Edited by ArchangelLBC

I'm sure pretty much everyone would be hard pressed to put up a million damage in even a full length void star. The recent thread where a Rage Mara did it? Even he admitted that it was a mystical aligning of the stars. You basically need an incredibly well geared and well played DPS with a massive spammable AoE that is nevertheless being constantly healed through by the other team, while you yourself have a set of good healers on YOUR team to keep you up.

Fact is I've never seen ANYONE do a million damage in any warzone EVER. Peak I've seen is a around 600k. I did in the high 500s on a full length void star on my commando once, and I saw a mara get close to 600k on a Novarre where south went a long time without being capped.

Fact is that as different as they are any sort of major DPS upgrade in PVP would probably unbalance things on the PVE side without a major rework. At least for gunnery/arsenal. Assault/Pyro might be a different story, if you just upgrade the burst, but I'd much rather see a talent to make Charged Burst proc plasma cell 100% of the time and a talent way up in the tree making it instant. See how those two changes (or just one of them, preferably the second) affect things before they go making big changes.

Your Facts are not Facts. That are your personal observations. The actual facts are that several different classes have put out over a million damage even prior to the 1.4 Rage buff. Mercs are middle of the line in DPS.

The Fact is that our burst could be tweaked without affecting PVE. A buff to HSM wouldn't affect PVE much since that's only 15% of total damage. Yet something like auto-crit and a 10% boost would be awesome in PVP.

You are right though. a buff to unload or tracer would cause PVE imbalance.

Your Facts are not Facts. That are your personal observations. The actual facts are that several different classes have put out over a million damage even prior to the 1.4 Rage buff. Mercs are middle of the line in DPS.

The Fact is that our burst could be tweaked without affecting PVE. A buff to HSM wouldn't affect PVE much since that's only 15% of total damage. Yet something like auto-crit and a 10% boost would be awesome in PVP.

Work with me through the math here. Take an ability that does 15% of your damage. Now buff that ability ??? Now the ability does a higher % of our damage.

Also if you want to get all whiny over the semantics of a figure of speech (which btw it is a FACT that I have never seen someone in any warzone that I was in get within shouting distance of a million damage) doesn't a valid argument make.

Now personally I'd LOVE a 10% boost to DR and have it autocrit, or even have the PVP set bonus give the crit rating increase to both HiB AND DR, but I'm loathe to ask for such a damage boost for two reasons.

1) Without significant changes in our ability to get damage out under fire, the damage boost isn't going to be significant. You'd still have to get 3 Grav Rounds on the target, under fire, to open the way for the burst. That's the problem. The burst (which isn't as bad as you seem to make out sometimes, though not as great as others) is all backloaded, and the setup has to be put on one target and is easily countered by anyone with an interrupt. It's the ease with which that setup is shutdown that makes us such a nonthreat in PVP when someone with an interrupt and a working brain is on us. Making the finisher more potent just gives a larger incentive to keep us locked down.

2) The utility changes are the ones that are really needed. If we get them I think we'll be completely viable in PVP, until we get them I think we'll always be playing second fiddle. Boosting our damage will almost certainly delay us getting the utility buffs we need. Once we have them your opinion might bear out, but we're just not gonna know, and in the meantime I think trying to focus on our damage distracts from the real issue, which is getting the hits out at all.

the circumstances necessary to achieve 1mil+ damage have nothing to do with the class. you need an opposing team stacked with healers and a full 15m warzone. chances of getting absurdly high damage numbers goes through the roof in those circumstances.

in a competitive bf, you will likely see top players putting up 300-500k total damage. this can be done as a merc, ive done it many times on both winning and losing teams.

for the last time, merc damage does NOT need a buff. we need mobility/utility buffs, because we have laughably little compared to every other class.

you continue to whine that merc doesnt have an AOE that does 7k like smash specd jugs/maras, which is the result of poor developer actions and over-balancing. you continue to whine for your turn on the nerf-go-round that is the number one problem with pvp in this game. just stop, because with our luck the one person the devs decide to listen to will be you, and that is the last thing we need.

I know this has been suggested before ....

Allowing Mercs/Commandos to cast certain abilities on the move (like grav round/charged bolts) would have next to no impact on PVE, but would it make them overpowered in PVP? I'd find that hard to be believe.

Or maybe making charged bolts an instant and lowering the damage but having it apply plasma cell 100% of the time would work out well...