Changing font size in game

KarrisThanor

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

me? yes, legally, I have stargaurds disease, a form of juvenile macular degeneration. It's not correctable with glasses and I've had it all my life. I'm sure that by the time I die they'll have a cure but for now I have to use what tools I can find. My visual accusatory 20/300 in both eyes so what I see at 20 feet you see at 300. And to make things even more fun, I have reverse tunnel vision as an added bonus but it's the kind of thing you get used to after having it your entire life. So ya, I kind of need stupid large fonts in games. In wow I got them through an addon called "fontain" that lets you make them pretty much so large that it would break the game for normal people. In forum posts pre launch there were roomers that Bio Ware was going to allow addons so i didn't worry about font so much but now that we've gotten all the way to patch 1.2 I am really getting nervous. The built in Windows magnifier makes teh game playable but I really dont' like having to continually zoom in to read things. please Bio Ware, stupid large fonts (24+)!!!!

The Easy Solution is to make a 2nd copy of the Codex -text available using the online Help. I mean the in-game, Knowledge Base, accessed using the '?" button on the top-center, icon bar.

That text remains legible, for older eyes, CRT monitors, and Laptop monitors.

It may be that the Codex information currently is simply a Graphic File, of a fixed relative size.

The text may not be able to flow to new margins, when the font is increased.

It would also mean that the displayed text would need to be in a Text Window.

Simple text in HTML files flows, resizes, and wordwraps very well. I never thought much about the formats, until I tried converting TXT, HTML, and PDF into e-Books. For instance, if the Codex information were in a multi-column PDF file, then there are extra steps needed to remove the core-text, before you can publish it to an e-book.

Come on don't tell me you can't see this. The font size is at the maximum and the global scale is at max. You got to be blind not to see this even on a TV.

How in the blazes is your font so big? I only wish mine were that large, then I wouldn't have to lean across my desk to read the ingame text.

• 3 weeks later...
It's more readable since 1.2 but I bet some will have issues still.

indeed i do, as a new player on a laptop screen the text is still to small

the ability to resize the windows helps some, but in places like the inventory window, it does nothing.

Please give us the ability to resize fonts on EVERY window.

thanks in advance

Agreed, I was hoping that 1.2 would fix this for me. Tool tip text for items and abilities is annoyingly difficult to read. Even maxing the overall font size using the new UI customization is not enough. Bioware really needs to get it together.

• 7 months later...

somewhat solved, set the resolution as high as you can go -

pros -

mouse dose as in windows and can be hidden slightly under the screen.

text size increases to readable. (a lot more than you expect, my screen is a 32 inch)

buttons are bigger.

cons (sort of)

cinematic will play in full screen rather than cinema screen. (lean back and you should be fine.

---

hope this helps.

• 2 months later...
You need to read more.

They HAVE announced that UI changes are coming.

Also what a bunch of children... GIVE ME WHAT I WANT NOW OR IM LEAVING! YOU AREN'T MY REAL DAD!

If when WoW launched players were this spoiled, the game would have failed in 3 weeks...

yet again no way to do this still ???

seriously , do i have to play 800*600 ?? beats the purpose doesn't it ?

I also play from my hdtv. i scaled the ui at max. Cause everything was too small. But now the map is too big too see. And i can't make the font bigger. Well reading this topic, there are a lot of gamers playing on their tv. So please BW make some changes.

• 3 months later...

Hello Everyone,

In 2.3 you can increase the chat font size to a maximum size of 30.

I also have troubles with reading the chat window and so i wrote a mail about it to Torwars. They contacted Bioware about it. The UI dev team checked it out and made a change to the maximum font size in the chat window. In patch 2.3 the maximum font size will be increased from 18 points to 30 points. This will be a big improvement for the readability of the chat window.

Big thanks to the Bioware dev team and the crew of Torwars.

• Dev Post

In 2.3 you can increase the chat font size to a maximum size of 30.

I wanted to be sure I post a follow up to Jessia above to let you know that we anticipated this change happening for 2.3. Unfortunately, we've had to move it back to Game Update 2.3.1. If anything else changes, we'll be sure to let you know.

While we don't generally make changes in this manner, we are pleased to be able to provide additional functionality to assist those who are having a negative experience due to being unable to read the Chat Window text at the current maximum size.

:ph_cheers:

I wanted to be sure I post a follow up to Jessia above to let you know that we anticipated this change happening for 2.3. Unfortunately, we've had to move it back to Game Update 2.3.1. If anything else changes, we'll be sure to let you know.

While we don't generally make changes in this manner, we are pleased to be able to provide additional functionality to assist those who are having a negative experience due to being unable to read the Chat Window text at the current maximum size.

When are the ambergreen color crystals coming out? I want to show my respect to this heroine.

I'm being serious here. No sardonic BS.

Please add me to this list as well, playing on a HDTV really sucks when I only have choices between Squint or move my couch 3 feet forward.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!

I play on a 60 inch HD Samsung TV and reading conversation text is not enjoyable but whats even worse is when your looking at stats on an item. The Text is so small that it's crazy. I literately have to get up off the couch and sit on my coffee table to use the GTN. Why cant we get a bigger Cursor size for our mouse as well. Sometimes in the heat of battle (mostly in operations) I will lose track of the cursor and have a hard time finding it due to all the wild stuff that going on on my screen.

DAMN MY FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS :p:D:p:D:p

while you are at it please change the text size on char/target/focus/target of target bars so blind people like me can actually read the hps and % on our targets. Gets old when I have to ask in mumble what % the boss is at. I have my char, tar, and focus plates so large they take up a large portion of my screen and I still have trouble reading the hps/%

That's great! Thank you. How about giving us color blind mode and chat bubbles to improve our experience even further?

I never even knew this was in the pipeline and I have asked for such things a few times as my friend can't see very well and obviously doesn't understand what the hell the non-basic speaking NPC's and companions are talking about. So he will be pleased good job!

Cheers,

BadOrb.

• 5 weeks later...
I just returned to the game after 6 months and it is completely unplayable withe the item tooltip sizes.

Here is a screenshot with a maxed out UI - please tell me if you can even read the text on the item:

http://i.imgur.com/oGs2j3X.jpg <- Click and tell me if you think this is acceptable

Where is the fix? This thread is over 12 months old!

I have to totally agree with you. I have tried maximizing the UI Scale using the interface editor, but it does not increase the tool tip text size when I scroll over items. I really hope the developers fix this, because it seems to be an issue in the game. I would prefer not to lean over the desk or strain my eyes. I think the image you gave was a good example. I run my game on 1920x1080, and the tool tip text is just as bothersome.