Was Vitiate a fraud then? Confused about a line from the FP (spoilers obviously)

Ravyynn

So Zildrog (the machine, whatever exactly it is) said it hasn't had this much hunger since it devoured Nathema. As we've been told this whole time, Vitiate devoured Nathema with a dark side ritual himself and sacrificed 9,000 Sith Lords or whatever the number was to make himself immortal. Is this saying that that was all grandstanding and he really used this Zildrog superweapon to devour Nathema? It doesn't seem to make sense as Vitiate shouldn't have even known about Zildrog/Zakuul etc. at the point when he did that ritual on Nathema. Was it just conflicting/bad writing?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's no conflict. Vitiate used Zildrog to destroy Nathema, then fed on the death. Nathema "devoured" the living, Vitiate "devoured" the dead, and the death was simply the catalyst. Just like how he was going to "devour" Belsavis during the Knight story, for example, but the trigger for that was a bomb.

But then how do we explain Ziost?

Now this is just conjecture based on my own interpretations, but based on the JK story the ritual to consume the life in the galaxy required 2 things. A certain amount of deaths over a certain time and a huge amount of death in a short time, probably creating a disturbance in the force which Vitiate can use to feed or something.

On Ziost his spirit controls beings and then uses to kill other beings then posses more, it's a cycle until I think it reaches a point where he's able to consume the planet.

It's no conflict. Vitiate used Zildrog to destroy Nathema, then fed on the death. Nathema "devoured" the living, Vitiate "devoured" the dead, and the death was simply the catalyst. Just like how he was going to "devour" Belsavis during the Knight story, for example, but the trigger for that was a bomb.

You know, this might actually be a good explanation for it. Hopefully someone will clear it up because from the Revan novel and every other source it always seemed to involve a force related ritual, no Zildrog at all, but I suppose it's possible that information could be retconned as Nyriss could've been wrong or not fully aware of what had happened.

You know, this might actually be a good explanation for it. Hopefully someone will clear it up because from the Revan novel and every other source it always seemed to involve a force related ritual, no Zildrog at all, but I suppose it's possible that information could be retconned as Nyriss could've been wrong or not fully aware of what had happened.

Force ritual and the use of Zildrog aren't necessarily excluding one another. Even if Vitiate used a particular mean to end people's lives, I think he would still need to perform a ritual in order to catch the spirits of the deads. In the end, no matter said murdering means, that's not what will be remembered. People who are Force Sensitive can feel the death of a whole world through the Force... if someone siphon the energy of the population of an entire planet, someone is bound to feel it. The latter is much more troubling than the former, since there are a lot of way to effectively kill entire populations in the matter of seconds, while there isn't that much appearence of one being eating said population.

Force ritual and the use of Zildrog aren't necessarily excluding one another. Even if Vitiate used a particular mean to end people's lives, I think he would still need to perform a ritual in order to catch the spirits of the deads. In the end, no matter said murdering means, that's not what will be remembered. People who are Force Sensitive can feel the death of a whole world through the Force... if someone siphon the energy of the population of an entire planet, someone is bound to feel it. The latter is much more troubling than the former, since there are a lot of way to effectively kill entire populations in the matter of seconds, while there isn't that much appearence of one being eating said population.

I suppose, from what we know he dominated the minds of the Sith Lords, at least I used to think it was more of a Ziost than a Zildrog scenarion.

Edited by FlameYOL

• Dev Post

Spoiler tags for the Dev Tracker:

Now this is just conjecture based on my own interpretations, but based on the JK story the ritual to consume the life in the galaxy required 2 things. A certain amount of deaths over a certain time and a huge amount of death in a short time, probably creating a disturbance in the force which Vitiate can use to feed or something.

On Ziost his spirit controls beings and then uses to kill other beings then posses more, it's a cycle until I think it reaches a point where he's able to consume the planet.

Y'all have it pretty much sorted here :)

Soo... what/who is Zildrog and where/when did it/he/she/they come from?

Do I get it right like this:

1. ZILDROG is the oldest "weapon" of all the stuff we got presented so far in the game. Zildrog consists of this big head that looks like an hommage to Tron and I was waiting for it to ask some kids to draw maccaroni pictures for it, if you know what I mean. And then, the Gravestone is also part of Zilly (the sanctuary thingy).

2. IOKATH / ETERNAL FLEET / GODS OF THE MACHINES is the second oldest and they are, in whatever way, ZILDROG'S enemy (that's why Zilly loves to destroy the fleet). Not sure if Zilly just wants to devour everything or if there is a particular backstory between those two entities.

3. VITIATE/VALKORION found out about Zilly and somehow captured it or made it his own or whatever, and he used it to make his ritual on Nathema. How did he know about it? How did he find it? How did he know what to with it? How did he come up with all of his plans in the first place? Later, he somehow found the Eternal Fleet and made the connection to the old Gods. I'm not sure what his plan for them was though.

4. Then the OUTLANDER comes as fourth in the timeline and he/she destroys 3., then 2., then 1. ;)

I find that all quite interesting. I would really like to know now

* What exactly is Zildrog?

* Who/what build it?

* Why is Zildrog?

* Since when is it?

I did wonder about this until the knight said, "Zildrog give me your power!". Couldn't the Emperor have done the same thing - used Zildrog to consume Nathema and then asked it to give him its power, making him immortal? Not sure if that would work but it could be an answer...

Sorry for the off-topic, but does anyone else see the resemblance between Zildrog and Mentor ( nihilistic computer from Directive 7) ? Both are machines. Both can be used to kill "organics" . Both have an over-inflated ego. I really think there's a connection between them.

I did wonder about this until the knight said, "Zildrog give me your power!". Couldn't the Emperor have done the same thing - used Zildrog to consume Nathema and then asked it to give him its power, making him immortal? Not sure if that would work but it could be an answer...

If you've read the codex entry on Zildrog in one of the stories about him it talks of him imbuing worthy warrior who've been tested with the "Fire of the Dragon", I think it was a nod to that piece of Zakuulan lore. It's likely The Emperor used a force ritual to consume the force on Nathema after Zildrog consumed the life as opposed to Zildrog imbuing Lord Vitiate's body with power.

Sorry for the off-topic, but does anyone else see the resemblance between Zildrog and Mentor ( nihilistic computer from Directive 7) ? Both are machines. Both can be used to kill "organics" . Both have an over-inflated ego. I really think there's a connection between them.

A friend of mine had the same idea but regarding SCORPIO and Mentor, considering how SCORPIO frees the GEMINI droids from the Throne's control. I honestly don't think they connect at all, Mentor is likely just the old AI gone rogue trope but it does makes me wonder why out of all the flashpoints that one is one of the few marked as story.

A friend of mine had the same idea but regarding SCORPIO and Mentor, considering how SCORPIO frees the GEMINI droids from the Throne's control. I honestly don't think they connect at all, Mentor is likely just the old AI gone rogue trope but it does makes me wonder why out of all the flashpoints that one is one of the few marked as story.

Mentor is Zildrog's grumpy grandfather! :D:D ( sorry again for the off-topic)

I think at one point they might have had big plans for Mentor, since, yeah, he fit the Iokath motif pretty well, and since Directive 7 just sort of randomly has a story mode. They never followed through on it, though, whether due to time issues, or due to it just all being a big coincidence that they never intended to follow through on.

Story-wise, Mentor was the first, but we don't know exactly when Zildrog was created so you might be right.

Well we know he's at least a thousand years old if he was involved in the destruction of Nathema. Also we know that the legends of Zildrog on Zakuul are ancient, they predate even the Old Ways.

Well we know he's at least a thousand years old if he was involved in the destruction of Nathema. Also we know that the legends of Zildrog on Zakuul are ancient, they predate even the Old Ways.

One thing i don't understand, regarding the legends about Zildrog: why the snake iconography? Zildrog is an IA, we can see a..head. But no reptiles at all.