Republic: Do you guys even try/care about PvP?

Lium

You will never have a good pvp community unless player ownership is tied to the pvp system. Every game that has done so had/has a vibrant pvp community.

E-rivalry requires symbols of e-honor (cities, bases, space stations, houses, boats, spaceships, ect...). Until there is a major player and guild centric dynamic around pvp there will be nobody who really "cares about it". In the absence of tangible, expensive, and valued items that players can take from one-another, pvp is no more serious or "cared about" than an amateur softball league.

Knowing BW if they would bring something like that in the game you'd have to unlock a character perk for 10 mil. once you get that item. xD

I'd be happy if they'd create something like Wintergrasp at least for a start. The only thing I really miss about WoW is messing up stormwind with 3 guys.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will never have a good pvp community unless player ownership is tied to the pvp system. Every game that has done so had/has a vibrant pvp community.

E-rivalry requires symbols of e-honor (cities, bases, space stations, houses, boats, spaceships, ect...). Until there is a major player and guild centric dynamic around pvp there will be nobody who really "cares about it". In the absence of tangible, expensive, and valued items that players can take from one-another, pvp is no more serious or "cared about" than an amateur softball league.

I agree completely, been saying that for a long time. It's one of the things that makes this game seem so pointless. Being in a guild is just permanent group chat, there's nothing to do as a guild or faction.

Sadly though, I think Hawk is right. We probably won't get anything like that for years, and when we do, it'll be a purchasable unlock from the Cartel Store. I would be happy with some outposts that one faction or the other could capture on each world map, but we'll never see that either. Capital City raids will be missed sorely.

Actually we don't care. On the republic side we have a valor bonus of +1000 exploit when we have the most damage taken. So it is simply about getting our valor boosted.

This was inserted to counter the imperial exploit on Ilum back in January.

Also, when we see any of the imperial leet guilds we quake in terror and simply seem unable to face roll our key boards anymore. I mean I know that when I see Whipser (he mispells it btw) from Casual I am in awe of his gear that I simply have to stand there and watch in amazement while I inspect him real close like.

In fact I think I can corner the market by making a T-Shirt that says "I survived ToR stun wars".

So I will keep pvping against the elitist imperials and screaming "Medics in front cuz I want to die first"

So look for me running around terminals while I try to avoid the smashes and healing myself to get the most mvp votes.

/Trooper:

:D

Most of the good Pubs have either got bored and quit, rerolled Imp for one reason or another, or got sick of the terrible Pubs almost every wz and quit.

Yea it's a pretty sad state, most people I've talked to are either waiting for 1.6 and rateds to start kicking again. Maybe we'll see a resurgence then. I'm prob just gonna let my sub lapse for a month and play casually while I mainly play Planetside 2 and LoL.

You, sir, clearly played SWG as well. One of the many things that game did right was let you build your own cities and PvP bases. It is a whole new game when you enter an enemy player made city to take down their player made overt bases. Brings to life guild rivalries when you are knee deep in blowing up a base and get surrounded by an entire enemy guild looking to kill you and then return the favor.

This will never happen though for SWTOR and if it did, you guys were right to say it would be a $10 cartel market perk item that you could probably only be allowed to put at some remote corner of Tatooine that no one will find or think to look. Not even Sand People will know it exists.

Something I would REALLY like to see brought over is a change in space play so that it emulated SWG. Off the tracks, in an semi/open zone, and crafter based parts. Once again, never going to happen, but a man can dream, right?

I blame the state of republic on a couple things. One of which is gear. I like to Q up solo quite a bit, just to work on my rotation and spec or whatever. The thing that I notice is how flippin squishy our guys are. Recently, there have been a crap ton of guys getting into wz's with 14-15k health. In fact, there was a group I was in earlier in which the highest health (other than myself) was 16k.

Another thing I blame it on is weak premades. This is something that even I am guilty of. I like to group up with my guild (who more often than not are undergeared) and we also have a poor makeup. We have so many bleepity bleep DPS sages it's ridiculous. We're good players, but having us all in the same group does not make for a winning formula. Not to mention, some of our members have had to reroll to a healer because we just flat out don't have any at level 50 (I've had to reroll to a sentinel, because Sage DPS is just not very viable in rated situations). I know a BUNCH of Imperial guilds that can form a great premade at the drop of a hat... Can't say the same for the Republic guilds. Maybe Hostile Takeover, Hoth Ski Patrol, and Firestorm can, but it seems that most other guilds that run premades just struggle with formulating a geared team with the correct composition...

Anyways, thanks for reading :)

-Teknus

Well... I don't know about everybody else... but for the past five days (Just got back to playing) I've logged on and been winning regular matches pretty much all the time. Of course, that's when I'm playing with at least one other member of my guild Pax, usually more. There's a loss every now and then, but nowhere near the level you guys seem to be saying.

I blame the state of republic on a couple things. One of which is gear. I like to Q up solo quite a bit, just to work on my rotation and spec or whatever. The thing that I notice is how flippin squishy our guys are. Recently, there have been a crap ton of guys getting into wz's with 14-15k health. In fact, there was a group I was in earlier in which the highest health (other than myself) was 16k.

Another thing I blame it on is weak premades. This is something that even I am guilty of. I like to group up with my guild (who more often than not are undergeared) and we also have a poor makeup. We have so many bleepity bleep DPS sages it's ridiculous. We're good players, but having us all in the same group does not make for a winning formula. Not to mention, some of our members have had to reroll to a healer because we just flat out don't have any at level 50 (I've had to reroll to a sentinel, because Sage DPS is just not very viable in rated situations). I know a BUNCH of Imperial guilds that can form a great premade at the drop of a hat... Can't say the same for the Republic guilds. Maybe Hostile Takeover, Hoth Ski Patrol, and Firestorm can, but it seems that most other guilds that run premades just struggle with formulating a geared team with the correct composition...

Anyways, thanks for reading :)

-Teknus

Everybody is much less squishy when taunts are rotated. Unfortunately, the influx of lolsmashers are largely the same group of lolpowertech's from yesteryear. They still don't taunt.

Everybody is much less squishy when taunts are rotated. Unfortunately, the influx of lolsmashers are largely the same group of lolpowertech's from yesteryear. They still don't taunt.

I wish I had more taunts. My one just isn't enough.

Well... I don't know about everybody else... but for the past five days (Just got back to playing) I've logged on and been winning regular matches pretty much all the time. Of course, that's when I'm playing with at least one other member of my guild Pax, usually more. There's a loss every now and then, but nowhere near the level you guys seem to be saying.

And let's not forget that some of us are old farts that are lucky to have time for our dailies most days ; ) I think the trend for most decent players is PUGs yield a 50/50ish win ratio, and premades yield a very high one, no matter which side you're on. Lately my PUGs have been pretty good, it's probably higher than 50/50, so I'm not complaining either.

Would still like to see some meaningful reason to be one faction versus the other in PVP right now, because I think a lot of us who have been running warzones since launch are semi-sick of the same four maps, and end up playing around with alts to pass the time after our dailies are done. I know I'm enjoying my evil impling right now if I do get a little time to play at night. I wish my Jedi could've resolved every cutscene with /kill.

Edited by AstralProjection

By level 30 you have 2 taunts. Every class that can tank has 2 taunts regardless of spec.

Do not teach them how to taunt, real healers take it in their face and like it. I personally wear colorful armor and throw sparkling powder to make sure no deeps will miss me.

I hear people crying about this in general chat all the time and I seriously don't understand it. I win WAY more games than I lose. In the past month, it has taken me no more than 11 games to finish my weekly, and I have about the same success throughout the week. Granted, every game I play in there is at least one healer (me), and I like to think that I'm competent enough to help my team succeed- but I know I'm not carrying the entire team in every game, so it makes me wonder how people are doing so bad.

By now, I think most of us can agree that a good game can go downhill from just ONE person's mistake- which would lead me to believe that the people crying about losing every game should take a moment to look in the mirror and realize that THEY are the common denominator in EVERY game they play.

That said, I also think that the people who start demoralizing their team before the gates even open should really STHU. It really bothers me when you hear someone say, "Oh, this will be loss number 20 today" before they even see the team they're playing. It's called the 'self-fulfilling prophecy' and I've seen a game that started with a similar comment and immediately had 4 people go straight to grass and sit there the entire game, because hell- they might as well get their 3 defender medals while they can, right?

I get focused in every game I play and never whine about it. Sometimes I may ask for a little help with peels if I'm unable to kite my focus, but you'll never hear me cry about taking 300k damage per game- so stop crying about how often YOU lose and get better at an easy game.

Edited by SneekyPanda
typo

I think the title and OP is right...I mean look the supposedly top 2 pvp guilds rep side were busy on hoth the other night making a movie of an in game wedding. I think that right there shows that they really do not care about pvp they would rather get drunk and give in to the demands of one girl and do a wedding than pvp.

LOL@you for thinking you can judge how people spend their time playing a game. Someone's just upset that they aren't friends with anyone who likes to have fun breaking the mold of a routine once in a while. You must have been that one kid who was never invited to parties growing up. I feel bad for you.

Edited by SneekyPanda

I hear people crying about this in general chat all the time and I seriously don't understand it. I win WAY more games than I lose. In the past month, it has taken me no more than 11 games to finish my weekly, and I have about the same success throughout the week. Granted, every game I play in there is at least one healer (me), and I like to think that I'm competent enough to help my team succeed- but I know I'm not carrying the entire team in every game, so it makes me wonder how people are doing so bad.

By now, I think most of us can agree that a good game can go downhill from just ONE person's mistake- which would lead me to believe that the people crying about losing every game should take a moment to look in the mirror and realize that THEY are the common denominator in EVERY game they play.

That said, I also think that the people who start demoralizing their team before the gates even open should really STHU. It really bothers me when you hear someone say, "Oh, this will be loss number 20 today" before they even see the team they're playing. It's called the 'self-fulfilling prophecy' and I've seen a game that started with a similar comment and immediately had 4 people go straight to grass and sit there the entire game, because hell- they might as well get their 3 defender medals while they can, right?

I get focused in every game I play and never whine about it. Sometimes I may ask for a little help with peels if I'm unable to kite my focus, but you'll never hear me cry about taking 300k damage per game- so stop crying about how often YOU lose and get better at an easy game.

You also have the luxury of frequently queing with a guild that has an overwhelming number of the good PvPers on the Republic side.

I would agree that there is a degree to which its true that those who lose most of their warzones need to look at themselves. However, there is also an enormous difference between a good competitive warzone turning to the other team because of one mistake and an entire warzone being an unmitigated disaster. There are those good games which you either win or lose, that's for sure, and that's great. The problem is that on the Republic side, there are just far too many cases where the entire warzone is a complete joke. 6-0s, 3 caps, 4 minute voidstar losses, etc.

One trend I am starting to realize lately, as someone who plays some on Empire as well, is that the Republic do tend to have just far more "heroes" who think they're going to make the awesome play and so end up losing the game. People need to stop going for the three cap when its a competitive fight to even hold two points, spending entire Huttball matches in the endzone "stealthed, waiting for a pass!" when the team can't advance the ball past mid with 7 people, and deciding to start matches off by going for the off point. If I had to list the number one thing that starts games in the wrong direction for this faction, its people going for east on Civil War or Novarre Coast.

You also have the luxury of frequently queing with a guild that has an overwhelming number of the good PvPers on the Republic side.

Oh, I was referring to my solo queueing, which I thought was the general flavor of this thread.

I would agree that there is a degree to which its true that those who lose most of their warzones need to look at themselves. However, there is also an enormous difference between a good competitive warzone turning to the other team because of one mistake and an entire warzone being an unmitigated disaster.

Obviously, but there's not much you can do (or blame) when you run into a solid team with 4 fotm juggs smashing all over the place, 3+ interrupts and the ability to leap to ANY player in the game. There's an imbalance in the game that (I hope) is being addressed soon that you just have to hold on and ride out. I believe that there are more imps playing the overpowered classes, you just have to hope you face less than what is impossibly handled.

The problem is that on the Republic side, there are just far too many cases where the entire warzone is a complete joke. 6-0s, 3 caps, 4 minute voidstar losses, etc.

I rarely see games like these. Voidstar more often because of teams getting a lucky plant on the weakside door (or a few times lately, a stealth plant) and then competent enough to stop attacks and just slow through tunnels- which is the main reason I hate VS more than any other map. I'm on the winning end of 6-0 Huttballs more often than not- but again, being a sage (with a steady gameplan) is a huge plus on that map. I can't remember the last time I was 3 cap'd in Civil War and it's a split with Novare which is the easier map to 3 cap.

One trend I am starting to realize lately, as someone who plays some on Empire as well, is that the Republic do tend to have just far more "heroes" who think they're going to make the awesome play and so end up losing the game. People need to stop going for the three cap when its a competitive fight to even hold two points, spending entire Huttball matches in the endzone "stealthed, waiting for a pass!" when the team can't advance the ball past mid with 7 people, and deciding to start matches off by going for the off point. If I had to list the number one thing that starts games in the wrong direction for this faction, its people going for east on Civil War or Novarre Coast.

While I will agree with your points on Huttball and Novare blunders, sending a strong dps or two to snow isn't a bad idea. It will inevitably send some of their forces to compensate (sometimes overcommit) or we end up taking it. Either way, spreading their forces from 7 to whatever they leave or taking the sides is beneficial, and mid is an easy node to stall with all the LoS breaks even with a 1v4+. But again, it comes down to competence and knowing limits which I will agree people are not that great at judging- but knowing this lack of others' self-awareness should install a sense of compensation and being able to react before help is requested.

I know that if east door in VS is a mess and that we throw 6 people to help clear it out, I'm gettin' my force speed off to get over to west door while they still have 3 people at east (situational, ofc)- because I'm smart enough to do the math: 8-3=5, and that there's only one other place those missing 5 can be. I don't think many people take this into consideration and then blame the 2 people that get wiped out that they didn't call for help. As long as everyone can count, there really shouldn't be *much* need for a call on that map.

Edited by SneekyPanda

So, you're basically saying the solution to ****** Republic PUGs is to roll a healer + get WH+ = profit. No offense, I'm sure you're a good healer and I don't doubt you win as much as you say, but not every class has as much of an impact on the results of the match as a healer.

The solution isn't "whoever complains needs to play better," it's "Rep as a whole needs to play better." I could rattle off anecdotes all day of 1-2 players being the difference between winning and losing a WZ, but we've all heard them enough times.

I used to be in a very competitive PvP guild, but they don't play this stupid game anymore, they've gone in search of real PvP elsewhere...and for the record, I don't blame them. But, that leaves me solo-queuing here. I've tried attempting to teach people the strategies of the map, but most of the time they take advice as insult and aren't willing to work with you to improve.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not whining. I understand the consequences for solo-queuing as should everyone else who does it. It's just saddening to see the struggling side almost entirely unwilling to improve.

Why would players work to build up their faction? It's easier to ***** about it and demand someone else do something about it. Gamers these days are too used to having all their problems solved by other people.

At some point or another, the people that complain about the state of the community need to grab a hold of some cojones and do something about it. It's actually rather easy. Follow these two steps: A) Increase your skill, and the skill of those around you, B) Get organized.

Putting up numbers in a warzone is largely mechanics. i.e. something that can be taught. Start there