8am BST should mean 8am BST, not before!

inertSpark

Ok so the alert says that the servers will be offline at 8am BST (or whatever is relevant for your particular timezone). What I do not appreciate, is the server going offline at 7.45am BST. That's a full quarter of an hour before the announced time!

I was in the middle of a quest when I got booted out. I will probably now log in having been killed, and will now have to clear the whole area again to get the quest done. My playtime this morning was based on the 8am downtime, and had that been adhered to, I'd have been able to complete the quest, hand it in, and then log out in a safe area.

I know this doesn't mean much to many of you, however when something is declared as being scheduled, it's kind of the decent thing to do to adhere to that schedule.

Edited by inertSpark

BioFail doesn't care. they give us a time it will go down and they bring it down whenever they feel like...be that 10 mins...20 mins..30 mins early? they don't care the drones will keep paying.

what has me more pissed is their incompetent updating on when it'll come back up..they KNOW approaching the scheduled time to come back up that they won't be done (esp when they extend it 2 more hours) yet they don't let US know until several minutes AFTER the time they were SUPPOSED to be up has passed.

they. don't. give. two. *****.

Ok so the alert says that the servers will be offline at 8am BST (or whatever is relevant for your particular timezone). What I do not appreciate, is the server going offline at 7.45am BST. That's a full quarter of an hour before the announced time!

I was in the middle of a quest when I got booted out. I will probably now log in having been killed, and will now have to clear the whole area again to get the quest done. My playtime this morning was based on the 8am downtime, and had that been adhered to, I'd have been able to complete the quest, hand it in, and then log out in a safe area.

I know this doesn't mean much to many of you, however when something is declared as being scheduled, it's kind of the decent thing to do to adhere to that schedule.

i know right!!! this is something worth quitting over!

i know right!!! this is something worth quitting over!

If it appears to be proof of how they'll handle all of their customer interactions then yes, that is potential quitting material.

I believe he may be. Put it this way, say you went to a football match that had a kick-off time of 3pm, amd it kicked off 15 minutes before you got there, wouldn't you be annoyed?

The wrong analogy. Now, if the came kicked off 15 minutes before you got there, but then after a few hours you could go back and restart the match at any time you wanted, would it be as bad?

+4 hours last week. -15minutes this week. Proportionality; apply it.

Now for the guts of the argument:

Firstly; more times than not, BioWare servers come back online BEFORE the prescribed maintenance period ends. They normally say it will take four hours, but servers are usually back after 3, why are you not complaining about this? "Hey, I set myself a real life task for four hours to coincide with maintenance, but you brought the servers back early and now I lost game time! Refund now! Cancel subscription now!"

Secondly; servers always give warning messages for when they are going down. Meaning: this person, like everyone else logged on would have been given a 15 minute warning. Thus, giving him ample time to find his safe place and log out appropriately.

Thirdly; when he logs back in, he won't be attacked by respawns. This is a known fact. A player who logs in amongst mobs does not generate aggro and can move away safely. I have done this many, many times.

Fourthly; **** happens. Seriously, this one might confuse you, but just like in real life unpredictable things happen in virtual space too. Maybe BioWare have a good reason for bringing the servers down fifteen minutes early. Maybe they thought by bringing them down fifteen minutes early they could have them back even earlier.

To conclude: There are 10,080 minutes per week. Of which, we lose (on average) 240 minutes due to maintenance. He lost 15 minutes. Meaning out of a possible 9840 minutes available per week, he lost 0.15% playtime because of this 15 minute early down time. 0.15%.

Proportionality; apply it and with reason please.

Edited by Averran
Deleted quote

I love the trolls on here giving the OP a hard time.......you realize he's a paying customer, right?

He has the right to complain about whatever he wants. He didn't say he was quitting over this, he didn't say it completely ruined his gaming experience, and he didn't insult any of you, like you did to him. He merely voiced his displeasure.

I agree with him, if I show p for my dinner reservation exactly on time, only to find my table given away 15 min earlier, I'd complain too.

Wow... this person comes on here with a valid gripe and you guys all attack him as if he's frothing at the mouth and screaming bloody murder. After, you say that they have a high stress level? Wow.

If the servers went down 15 minutes early and I was in the middle of a dungeon area, I would be miffed, too. Is it life shattering? No. Is it poor timing with negative consequences that should be pointed out to the company in the only way known? Absolutely! Any of us would have been a little peeved if this happened to us.

All of you people complaining about the trolls have become what you despise most.

Wow... this person comes on here with a valid gripe and you guys all attack him as if he's frothing at the mouth and screaming bloody murder. After, you say that they have a high stress level? Wow.

If the servers went down 15 minutes early and I was in the middle of a dungeon area, I would be miffed, too. Is it life shattering? No. Is it poor timing with negative consequences that should be pointed out to the company in the only way known? Absolutely! Any of us would have been a little peeved if this happened to us.

All of you people complaining about the trolls have become what you despise most.

When this is brought to the forums, (15 minutes early! Wha!!) What do you think will happen? Really?

"Ohhh it's ok pudding! (hug hug) It will be ok! Rock a bye baby.....(squeeze,hug,belly rub)"

Not a whole 15 minutes?? THE HORROR !!!! OMG TEH HORRORS !!!!

I would send a letter to your congressman or appropriate representative asap and demand the .002 cents you lost on that ... DAMN YOU BIOWARE !!!!

Imagine if folks held their governments as accountable as they do game developers. The world might see a positive change. I wish that folks would put this kind of passion toward things that mean something.

I saw the same kind of thread in my first mmo a couple of years ago. I'll see the same kind of thread in my 30th mmo a couple of years from now. Welcome to mmos.

Solution: let Skynet run the gaming companies. It will be deadly efficient.

• Dev Post

Part of our procedure is to make sure we broadcast messages on each server to inform players 15 minutes in advance when the servers are coming down for maintenance. We do this just to ensure everyone gets a warning, and it isn't often that we do bring the servers down any earlier than stated in our maintenance blogs and launcher messages. We definitely don't want to interrupt anyone's play any more than we have to! If you didn't get a warning on your server, I'd definitely like to know so that we can make sure nothing went wrong!

Just as a reminder to everyone: We ask that you please respect others on the forums. We want you to post your opinion and let us know what you think, but there's no need to bash anyone because they have a different opinion. Please try to be civil when responding to each other, even if you disagree.

Edited by AllisonBerryman

Clearly not.

And it appears the community is doing its best to ruin it further... Nice.

Ohhh good grief. Wars rage across the globe, children starving to death everyday, but we are ruining this guys MMO experience......

All in the matter of context....

"Are we there yet?" as a stand alone statement could be translated as a valid question, and that anyone who responds negatively viewed as attacking the questioner as if they were frothing at the mouth and screaming bloody murder.

However, "Are we there yet?" at the end of the same question being repeated 100 times from the back seat by a child asking it within a span of an hour paints a much different picture.

Part of our procedure is to make sure we broadcast messages on each server to inform players 15 minutes in advance when the servers are coming down for maintenance. We do this just to ensure everyone gets a warning, and it isn't often that we do bring the servers down any earlier than stated in our maintenance blogs and launcher messages. We definitely don't want to interrupt anyone's play any more than we have to! If you didn't get a warning on your server, I'd definitely like to know so that we can make sure nothing went wrong!

This is as good a time / place as any to mention the following:

While I can't speak to actual server interuptage, I can say that the login server(s) get taken down much earlier than the maintenance start times.

Example: I am playing on Server A, and about 1/4 to 1/2 hour before maintenance time, I try switching over to Server B, the server select screen displays all servers are down.

I suspect that this is to prevent an increase in server load prior to maintenance... But if people trying to log in a half an hour prior to maintenance can't, they are going to feel cheated.

Something to consider.

First, I would like to state that I like Swtor a lot. I enjoy the PvP and the Sith Warrior class storyline. (Sith inquisitor on the other hand...sucked!)

Second, I tried to sneak and login to do some last minute PvP and I wasn't able to login 30mins before server downtime. Which was annoying, but I wouldn't call it a life changing event.

Third, I would like to know why the forums have to go down along with the servers. It will help us trolls to keep stress levels down, if you keep the forums up during maintenance.

Fourth, Why does the Asia Pacific and European servers have to share the same maintenance window as US server, it does seems unfair to them.

Fifth, why does it take 4 hours for maintenance, why not 5 or even 8hours? Why can't you do rolling restarts of servers. Start with the servers with high population and see how low population server start to thrive soon :)

Edited by Tamilveeran

I believe he may be. Put it this way, say you went to a football match that had a kick-off time of 3pm, amd it kicked off 15 minutes before you got there, wouldn't you be annoyed?

Don't know how many games you've been to, but if you show up 15 mins before kickoff, you're going to miss it anyway. Will take you longer than that to get through security and get to your seat.

Since you're complaining about BST, I assume by football you mean soccer. Not sure if the lines are the same for soccer matches.

^This. My lord you people seem to like to jump all over everyone and everything... This is why I am terrified of making threads here.

Imagine if folks held their governments as accountable as they do game developers. The world might see a positive change. I wish that folks would put this kind of passion toward things that mean something.
This is one of the best things I've seen posted on these forums.