General feel of Empire vs. Republic stories [probably spoilery]

dom_delouise

I have a question for you fine Imperials.

I've been playing the Republic side so far, just about to level my first character to 50 as a Jedi Shadow. Super fun, and I'm excited to roll and Imperial next. Faction haters can hate, but I want to see the game.

How is the general tone of the Imperial story? My take on the Republic side is "ZOMG! We're totally incompetent in every single way and we can't wipe our own noses without you Jedi!" It was actually kind of lame, because it makes me feel I'm the only person in the Republic who can accomplish anything?

What is the tone of the Imperial story then? If you look at it from my side, it's "we win! we win again! we WIN!" Which ultimately seems kind of boring...

Anyway. Anyone want to share?

Imperial forces always seem to be outnumbered and the Sith are always interfering with their own agenda's no two that seem to have the same agenda. If the Imperials saw the Republic stories and saw how pathetic their opponents really were they wouldn't be so worried about the war. and on the flip side, if the Republic saw the Imperial story and saw how significantly they outgunned the Empire they would crush them straight away. As disorganized and self serving as the Sith seem to be, with just a little coordination and team work the Jedi should prevail.

Imperials do win... Alot :) (At least from my perspective from the planetary stories)

I have personally: Suppresed the rebellion on Balmora (With the help of the imperial fleet), Permanently ruined the restoration efforts of Taris, Helped house Thul move to the top on Alderaan, Shamed the repbulic in the eyes of the Voss (They won't even accept republic's gifts :D), Turned the most deadly prisoners on the republic troops on belsavis, Exposed the Republic as racists(Specists?) by experimenting on alien races on Belsavis, Not much happened on Nar Shaada, or Tatooine though.

Having only a Sith warrior, it struck me moving from planet to planet that if the Empire just stopped being so damn lazy the direct/indirect wars on the planets would've been won long ago.

Half my Siths lines involved her asking why the Imperials hadn't actually made good on their supposed gains only to be met with a half baked explanation ranging from lack of men to "one man can do what 12 can't...heh."

From a game-play perspective it's understandable, but as a story...well I'd rather have an incompetent Republic that tries rather than a lazy Empire that doesn't.

Sum up the Imperial tone seems to be one of remarkable ability countered by remarkable laziness. It's an Empire run by disinterested five year olds.

It's the same as the Republic, just add slavery, genocide, and racism to the mix, as well as masking all of the ineptness with intense nationalism. Let me take Balmorra for example...

There's a science officer who's wife had an affair with a Republic spy, who happened to get his hands on top secret plans. So instead of using the resources at his disposal, he asks you to kill the spy and his wife for him.

Balmorran resistance taking control of turrets? Let's drop a few bombs on them, oh wait, let's send a single Sith/Agent/Bounty Hunter to go get them back. Except that even when on our side, these turrets do not fire...

Republic Balmorra spoilers below...

So we broke the Resistance? Not really, by the time the Republic leaves Bugtown, most of the Imperial questing zones are taken by the Resistance... And Sobrik is now a questing zone.

At best, the Empire wins a few moral victories, at places like Taris, maybe acquiring some minor resources like Nem'ro's stuff on Hutta. But in the end, they lose the most important areas, like the weapons of Balmorra, and failing to get control of Corellia. Let's not forget that whole debacle on Tatooine where they managed to lose pretty much an entire archaeology crew, while the Republic side loses none.

Edited by Guildrum

If you mean send items between your Jedi and your Sith, I don't think you can.

You can send (most) items through the Hutt Trade Network....although it is a pain in the rear to do and you always run the small risk of someone else buying it. I know the devs are looking at possibly making it easier in the future.

As of patch 1.2, you can mail items to your alts, regardless of faction. No more Hutt GTN shady-trading needed!

Very interesting, WoW never even did that.

You could only send BoA gear cross faction

Edited by CJ_SAX_MAN

The Imperial side tends to stress the freedom of the individual and his or her ability to seek as much power as they want, and go in the direction they want. It's actually kinda strange to me that "The Republic" is a set of monarchies and noble titles ruling over a proletariat and "The Empire" is all about freedom and self-determination... But I digress.

From what I see so far, you either begin as a slave and earn your way up in society, or you are a valued Imperial citizen tasked with cloak and dagger powerplays.