Discussion Topic: Game Update 5.4 and the Next Roadmap

KeithKanneg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll take up a number of the points you raised with the team, including the 242 for Master Mode on Umbara.

Keith---

Master Mode – Only level 70 characters can access this mode. If queueing for the Flashpoint through Group Finder, your character must have an average item rating of 242 or higher (as shown on your character sheet).

So I'm guessing that the feedback that was given was ignored for some reasoning? It would be nice to know what that reasoning is.

I'd like to know why exactly is BioWare gating a MM flashpoint for players who are not in a guild etc and simply prefer to use groupfinder, but now can't due to the grindfest gearing system you guys went with in 5.0? Not every solo player is incapable of playing their class properly, so I'm guessing some kind of dps check is going to be the response here..... and yet as players we've already shown that even dps checks in flashpoints like Bloodhunt can be overcome by players who know how to play their class.

I agree the "we want your feedback" is now falling on deaf ears now as I strongly feel it's just sales pitch lingo to keep subs. They don't care about feedback nor do they want our feedback. Especially with Class changes - they have metrics they will use and no level of input or feedback is going to change that.

I think that they have a different idea about class balancing than we do and that there are other factors in play that aren't actually fair and really class balancing. I think they use class balances to dissuade players from using a specific class they see to much of.

They've tried so many things to make the sage/sorc less interesting to play for people without making them completely unviable. But I think particularly sorcs are popular not because of statistics but because they are sorcs and shoot lightning and stuff.

I do believe they look at feedback but I don't think it's a leading thing. Currently in business we see a trend that CX (Customer Experience) is seen more and more as the determining factor for companies to be successful and at the same time CX values have gone down over the last four years or so. There's going to be a point that this is going to tilt the balance and I fear that Bioware is going to have a hard time holding themselves together unless they manage to turn their company culture around.

They've made some great games especially in the past, but what they suck balls at is creating a good customer experience around these games. BW's been lucky because their flavour of RPGs is a fairly unique one. They day another company stands up and makes games like ME and DA but with a better CX attached to it, BW will be blown out of the industry. They've just had a luxury position, because there really isn't any direct competition for them. So it is with SWTOR as well. There is no other SW MMO on the market. If there had been we either wouldn't be here anymore or we'd be talking about how SWTOR is such a great game.

But we're still here and scratching our heads wondering what's going on with the game instead.

So I'm guessing that the feedback that was given was ignored for some reasoning? It would be nice to know what that reasoning is.

I'd like to know why exactly is BioWare gating a MM flashpoint for players who are not in a guild etc and simply prefer to use groupfinder, but now can't due to the grindfest gearing system you guys went with in 5.0? Not every solo player is incapable of playing their class properly, so I'm guessing some kind of dps check is going to be the response here..... and yet as players we've already shown that even dps checks in flashpoints like Bloodhunt can be overcome by players who know how to play their class.

It's just the new FP. It remains to be seen if the old ones will be treated the same.

The reasoning for them ignoring our feedback is simple - they don't give a damn what we think.

The know they have a significant number of players trapped. There is no other Star Wars MMORPG out there. They know a lot of Star Wars fans will put up with almost any old rubbish as long as it has a Star Wars badge - they know this because apparently KotFE/ET were "a success".

FE/ET had a) the worst story in the game so far, b) the worst combat pacing in the game so far, c) the most waste of space content in the game so far, and d) the least amount of "choices that matter" in the game so far.

And they were a success - let that sink in - they were a Success!

From that they have, correctly, concluded that: "any old rubbish", any amount of ignoring player feedback, any amount of doubling-down on past mistakes, will be acceptable - because of the Star Wars badge.

And to prove my point they released Manaan and the first round of class balance with the last patch - and they were "any old rubbish".

All The Best

The reasoning for them ignoring our feedback is simple - they don't give a damn what we think.

All The Best

well the feedback for umbara flashpoint was mostly saying make it a hard challenge like lost island was, if they make a 242 gear and make it rewarding , so we have to see if they do that and listen to the feedback. the feedback saying do not make 242 was mostly towards the older flashpoints not newer ones, I like the idea of making it 242 it they make it hard. wont comment on manaan and kotet actully I actually like them (except class balance ).

That's what I believe as well ... and, to think about it, it is sad ...

They could fix almost every problem within a month with double the number of team members, I believe.

I doubt that, considering the amount of bugs pervading the game at this stage in it's life cycle.

I doubt that, considering the amount of bugs pervading the game at this stage in it's life cycle.

I agree, it would take more than a month because each change they've made that has broken something unrelated that was fine before and they would need to be investigated and isolate the bugs so any change didn't break something else.

I believe the bugs are because the old code is still being modified and the current coders still don't fully understand the nuances of it. When you customise a code, the person who originally does it can leave an ever so slight "accent" like some regions have in many countries. The thicker that "accent", the more trouble it can cause later on. If Bioware had just used a released version of Hero Engine and not an Alpha version they Frankensteined, then we probably wouldn't have most of the issues in the game and they could get support from the Hero Engine guys if needed.

But, I do think that new content should be put on hold for a few months so they can focus on fixing bugs because every change moving forward will only make them worse.

Edited by Icykill_

I agree, it would take more than a month because each change they've made that has broken something unrelated that was fine before and they would need to be investigated and isolate the bugs so any change didn't break something else.

I believe the bugs are because the old code is still being modified and the current coders still don't fully understand the nuances of it. When you customise a code, the person who originally does it can leave an ever so slight "accent" like some regions have in many countries. The thicker that "accent", the more trouble it can cause later on. If Bioware had just used a released version of Hero Engine and not an Alpha version they Frankensteined, then we probably wouldn't have most of the issues in the game and they could get support from the Hero Engine guys if needed.

But, I do think that new content should be put on hold for a few months so they can focus on fixing bugs because every change moving forward will only make them worse.

Seems like most games are having this exact issue lately.

actually a friend of mine who use to play SWG said star wars galaxy MMO did this from what I heard there was a Hugh backlash because they barely any content while doing it. They never did it again

99 bugs in the code today

99 bugs in the code

Git pull the file

Fix and compile

127 bugs in the co... crap.

Well, that's probably closer to the truth than many realise. The problem really occurs when they're also up against a deadline, the QA report any issues (assuming a robust QA system is in place), the QA manager feeds that info back to the team, which is then completely over-ridden by whomever is in charge due to the deadline.

I mean we've seen these issues with potentially game breaking bugs for a long time, even when issues get reported on the PTS, no solid fix is in place when something goes live. Which leads me to believe that they simply do not have the development team in place to actually fix the issues in a timely manner.

I dread to think of what mess the code for this game is in currently, it's not like they can just create a jit branch and tinker away without having an effect on everything else. Unless I'm completely mistaken.

I dread to think of what mess the code for this game is in currently

It reminds me of any little kid, that when you ask him if he cleaned his room, put things in order and everything else, this kid nod and smiles at you, saying "Yes, everything is good". But just by the look of it you know he's lying, and that there is still some problem within this room.

The devs of this game are this kid, trying to say that everything is fine, they got everything under control and all is well in a good world. And us, we are the adults that watch over them with this suspicious look, as they're trying to hide the mess behind them.

Problem is that whatever we say, these guys won't assume they messed up something and that they have not enough people to fix the big mass of issues that keeps piling up after every update...

For me the problem isn't that they don't resolve it. It is more that they don't wanna admit that there is something wrong in order to begin to fix it. :rolleyes:

• Dev Post

Hey all,

I've been heads down on whole variety of things the last few weeks, so I haven't been as active on the forums nor have I been able to keep up with PMs. I've also been drafting the next Roadmap update and making changes based on feedback I've been given and read here in the thread. It'll be few weeks before the Roadmap is ready to release, as we're making final refinements to the content and delivery schedules.

Sorry about having to delay Game Update 5.4, but as Musco pointed out, it was too impactful to release. For those who earn the ability to open the Umbara Stronghold, I'm sure you'll find the 5,000 credit price versus the normal 2M credits a nice change.

Lastly, we've had a few queuing hiccups on our East Coast servers over the past couple weeks, but we're making some adjustments in tomorrow's maintenance that should resolve those going forward.

-Keith--

Hey all,

[...]

Sorry about having to delay Game Update 5.4, but as Musco pointed out, it was too impactful to release. For those who earn the ability to open the Umbara Stronghold, I'm sure you'll find the 5,000 credit price versus the normal 2M credits a nice change.

-Keith--

Woah, I wasn't expecting that tbh :o

Is it just for the stronghold unlock price or does it apply to every room there is ? Assuming there is a room to unlock of course :)

Hey all,

I've been heads down on whole variety of things the last few weeks, so I haven't been as active on the forums nor have I been able to keep up with PMs. I've also been drafting the next Roadmap update and making changes based on feedback I've been given and read here in the thread. It'll be few weeks before the Roadmap is ready to release, as we're making final refinements to the content and delivery schedules.

Lastly, we've had a few queuing hiccups on our East Coast servers over the past couple weeks, but we're making some adjustments in tomorrow's maintenance that should resolve those going forward.

-Keith--

Thanks, Keith! I do hope the changes to the roadmap pertain to reducing grind from gearing, as that has been a common concern.

The lower cost to unlock the stronghold is a very nice gesture, thank you!

Edited by Jerba

Hey all,

-Keith--

Swtor is loosing players because devs ignored the necessity of buffing UC rewards for running unranked warzones. I think you should respond to their feedback - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=929225

Hey all,

-Keith--

It's hilarious that you say you're making changes based on feedback given when you (Bioware) create this thread:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9378690

Completely ignore it and then push the changes out anyway.

Edited by Screaming_Ziva

It's hilarious that you say you're making changes based on feedback given when you (Bioware) create this thread:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9378690

Completely ignore it and then push the changes out anyway.

Indeed. People said that it takes ages to gear up via running unranked pvp, asking bioware to buff rewards for unranked, add more quests for unranked or reduce the price of gear parts yet bioware ignores all the feedback, and makes no real adjustments basing on feedback. I don't see any difference between Irving and Kanneg, both are ignorant to feedback...

Edited by omaan