A concept for the future of finding groups.

I believe that I've properly looked about and haven't seen anyone else address this issue in the fashion that I intend. I've seen and heard, some second handed, that people are not enjoying this. Going off on a tangent before I've spoken, but before I do say my piece, I do intend this to be very constructive and helpful to making this game better for everyone in the community. Anyways, The issue first than my concept to fix it.

Issue: Finding groups for either Flashpoints, Herioc missions, or similar things. They have the possibility for taking a length of time to form up. Utilizing my recent personal experience, I just spent two hours trying to find a group for the flashpoint Mandalorain Raiders on my lvl 26 Jedi Sentinel. Considering I am very patient to sit in chat for that time to ask around until I did get a group (A very good one mind, was fun then) It was draining to the fun not being able to do much else. I can imagine others would have similar issues.

The problem as I see it are these; Limited amount of people to see who wants to do what with others. This stems from the fact that Republic Fleet general chat only incorporates that zones people and no one else on the server. Also that people have to look at the chat at the right time for what they want when they could be doing something else. And maybe other issues that I haven't addressed but I shall now give you the idea that I have come up with in those 2 hours spent.

I did keep in mind what I heard that the developers wanted to not make this a dungeon finder and I would think this suffices as not that. I also understand that for game developers, making aspects of the game user friendly is a plus and that is also incorporated into this.

Idea: A server-wide listing of those that wish to do groups. This would solve the issue of both finding people and avoiding it taking excessive amounts of time to do so. This listing would be something you could look through and then whisper individuals if they wish to go with you or if maybe just straight invite them.

This can be done so people can be properly listed as for there spec, so those that are speced heals are healers or it could be something they choose. Same applies to DPS and Tanks. Maybe even list DPS as being melee and Ranged. Also, this could be something for the heriocs on a planet. multiple flashpoints, or whatever else can't be done along. Maybe even player based lists for something specific to a planet can be made and listed to be seen.

For the in-game interface concept that this could stem from is that it is a Holonet board of those that are seeking work to assist others with similar difficulties. Although I have yet to reason out how it would work with such range for the boards but I am sure that some method of logic can be used to work that in justifiably. I will think on it personally and add my thoughts.

That should be most of my thought. I may have missed some points or think of some later, thus I will post again with an addendum. If my points are vague or misunderstood, please ask questions. Point out aspects that could be better. If this has already been posted earlier on and cited as being a faulty idea then I apologize for wasting your time. If this has been used to ill-effect elsewhere, point it out and maybe ideas can be brought up to fix the flaws.

The point that I am trying to get at is not to have my idea implemented. It is that we create a better system for the players to enjoy the game more so than it is now. I know some players don't think there ideas mount up to much or they aren't often heard but if you do nothing then that will be so. We can offer ideas and help improve a game that we enjoy. That is my intent and I hope that it got across properly.

Log on

Press the O key

Click the Who tab

Click the Looking For Group button and check the box to indicate that you are as well looking for a group

The system you described is basically the one that's already implemented. It needs refined, I'll admit (seeing people run by you with purple icons after seeing literally no names on the LFG list isn't efficient) but it's already there. This is one of those things that's gonna take a bit of time. Until then, all you can do is mark yourself as LFG or say so in general chat, which is currently where other people looking to group up are watching.

I will gladly admit that I did not know a portion of what you said. That portion being that you can get all, and only those marked such, by typing LFG in the search field. For that info, I thank you. I did know of the rest of that though about marking yourself LFG and setting the comment.

I see that as flawed still because alot of people don't use that system. If everyone used and it worked as intended, then I probably wouldn't be on here and this would be great. I can only guess as to why that is the case in being that note everyone realizes that you can mark yourself LFG (maybe just yet and eventually people will learn) or maybe it is something else entirely.

The point that I was trying to get out is to separate it from the who section since not everyone thinks of using that feature, for whatever reasons those may be, thus creating a system they can easily click into and find what they want.

I understand that things will change as the game progress and I had no illusions in my mind that by posting this that I would see a change anytime soon. But by voicing my opinion as I am, I was intending to cultivate the idea into something that could be something letter or at the least start the process in some manner. If nothing is said, than nothing will be done. Simple as that.

A six hour search for a Taral V party as a healer last night as a Healer sort of makes this game need a LFG tool.

Heard.

I think everyone would benefit from a LFG system. Like a dungeon searcher from a game, which I will not mention the name of.

One way to make the LFG system in place better would be to make people LFG globally marked some how. When I tag myself as LFG for a FP, I still have to sit in the fleet and spam general. It makes the system not very useful. If I could continue questing while marked, and people on the fleet could see that I'm marked even though I'm on Hoth, that would be really useful. I'm not sure how to implement something like that, but I think that would resolve the LFG issues.

FFXI, A TEN YEAR OLD PS2 GAME, has a far better LFG system due to the following:

1) A far more powerful search system that not only lets you search areas but also level ranges, classes and if they are flagged or not. The command "/sea all WHM inv 20-25" would show you every single White Mage in the world who is flagged and is between Lv20 and 25.

A MMO made in 2011 can't even do this...

2) Search comments. They were huge in FFXI and let you have a ton of information in them. In Star Wars they cut off after 12 characters. "Healer LFG Tar-" is usually all you get to see from my search comment.

3) Auto-Invite. It was basically a forerunner of "Public Groups" seen in Warhammer Online and then Rift. You could set your party to automatically invite anyone else in the zone that is flagged. In SW you have to sit around shouting for Heroics. I've never actually done one of the 4-man heroics because of this.

FFXI, A TEN YEAR OLD PS2 GAME, has a far better LFG system due to the following:

1) A far more powerful search system that not only lets you search areas but also level ranges, classes and if they are flagged or not. The command "/sea all WHM inv 20-25" would show you every single White Mage in the world who is flagged and is between Lv20 and 25.

If you write 20-25 in to the who search it will show all lvl20-25 and then you can see who has the LFG tag on.

Also if you write LFG into the search box it will show every player with LFG tag on.

Edited by Zailou