Star Wars: The Old Republic – State of the Game #2

EricMusco

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is very encouraging. Its good to see that BioWare thinks the game is going well as a lot of negativity on the forums has led me to believe otherwise. I look forward to Update 1.7, looks like there finally going to fix Illum (even though I don't know what went wrong with it in the first place, its taboo on general chat :D). And I'm really looking forward to Makeb. And SGRs, can't say I'm interested in this but its nice to see BioWare responding to something that a lot of the community has been asking for, I honestly thought it was never going to happen.

Onwards and upwards BioWare!

Funny thing is SGR is just enough to put the final nail in this games coffin. We have been fine without it, now I expect bad press and another reason for players to quit the game.

Why add something so controversial when you should be trying to get more players in the game?

Just another example of management prioritizing the wrong game elements when they should be looking into adding things into the game that make current players happy and wanting to keep subscribing.

Why would the game get bad press over SGR? Makes no sense to me; apparently you are unaware that SGR is available in other EA titles, most notably their Sims series?

Edited by Insidion

So far with this guy's 'state of the game' it's turning into all talk. Talk is cheap, bugs are still crawling ALL over me in game. Performance is still an issue. C'mon man stop patting your own back and actually start fixing!

I agree 100%.

I'd say get people OFF THE FLEET! Expand each planet's size to include a heroic zone dedicated for 50s.

Do something about performance man. How about dialing down the view distance. I don't need to see the very ends of a planet.

Leave my viewing distance alone. I'm getting 100fps right now. Sure you can tune down the default setting, but don't lower it across the board.

Make crafting worth something again! Right now with planet comms leveling up there is NOOO point in crafting. Hitting 50 and getting drops also overwrite crafting professions.

I agree.

Want world pvp? Simple just get Reps and Imps closer to each other while they level, do dailies or quest. We'll take care of the rest.

I agree with this as well.

Group space combat OFF RAILS! Have objectives and we as a team complete it.

Ughh... While I do agree with this, I see little hope for their space game. It is a complete failure and I would rather they didn't touch it for now. Fix the rest of the game first and then give us decent space content similar to JTL at a later date after everything else is fixed.

Put in pvp brackets. Get rid of the 10 - 49 bracket. Don't do server pvp queues. Merge all servers into one queue.

I say no to this. Leave the 10-49 alone and spend some time on the 50 bracket only. That is what should be perfected.

Let us guide our own ships to the planet instead of point and click. Expand on our ships. Let us have MUCH more to do in there.

See what I said above in regards to space content.

Write more scripts for NPCs. Let them do SOMETHING! Move around at the very least.

I would like to see us be able to respec or change the advanced class of our NPC companions. That way we could have our favorite companion fill the roll that we want them to.

I threw generalities in there. I could be VERY specific if asked to but these I don't think are reasonable. Looking at what other MMOs have done with their game this isn't asking for much.

I would like to see an option for the group finder that would let us queue for lower level flashpoints, but would downgrade our effective level to match the content. Sort of like how it works now with pvp. Then give us commendations for doing so. This would provide more people to group with at lower levels.

Edited by EcrirTwyLar

Okay. Let's see. sgr and hood toggle both promised. Sure. Hood toggle was even given a specified eta (next big patch after 1.2).

Now sgr demanders get what they want for only 10 quid (and it's gonna involve so much other stuff!). It's gonna be available to each of their characters. All of us who wanted hood-down robes have to pay 15 quid per character for armor sets which are not even legacy bound. Which takes more work? Animating and voicing homosexual npc or making a hood down variation of existing sets?

I feel discriminated against.

1)So far with this guy's 'state of the game' it's turning into all talk. Talk is cheap, bugs are still crawling ALL over me in game. Performance is still an issue. C'mon man stop patting your own back and actually start fixing!

2)I'd say get people OFF THE FLEET! Expand each planet's size to include a heroic zone dedicated for 50s.

3)Do something about performance man. How about dialing down the view distance. I don't need to see the very ends of a planet.

4)Make crafting worth something again! Right now with planet comms leveling up there is NOOO point in crafting. Hitting 50 and getting drops also overwrite crafting professions.

5)Want world pvp? Simple just get Reps and Imps closer to each other while they level, do dailies or quest. We'll take care of the rest.

6)Group space combat OFF RAILS! Have objectives and we as a team complete it.

7)Put in pvp brackets. Get rid of the 10 - 49 bracket. Don't do server pvp queues. Merge all servers into one queue.

8)Let us guide our own ships to the planet instead of point and click. Expand on our ships. Let us have MUCH more to do in there.

9) Write more scripts for NPCs. Let them do SOMETHING! Move around at the very least.

I threw generalities in there. I could be VERY specific if asked to but these I don't think are reasonable. Looking at what other MMOs have done with their game this isn't asking for much.

You wrote alot but some of it isnt bad currently.And some your just flat out wrong about.

I numbered your comments so my replies can be matched rather then re quoting each seperately.But some i agree with strongly.

1) He stated that they are working on bugs ... and since launch there has been patches all the time addressing bugs of any serious nature .... as a programmer myself i know its not always easy to find out why your code isnt working properly especially when its someone elses poor code effecting yours without you knowing it.

2)The problem with getting people off fleet (which by the way happens you just dont see it) is they still have to WANT to leave. How many still do there BH and Section X dailies? i know i do them on 5 toons every week for BH coms as well as HM FPs and Ops .... there is alot to do if you have alts ..which is something they have stated from before launch they want you to have multiple characters.

3) trust me you dont see to the end of the planet and draw distance is adjustable. but what they do have to fix is all the crash to desktop stuff. especially during raids.

4) Crafting in ALL professions isnt the issue.... its SOME of them that are left out .. artifice right now is awesome same with cybertech. They just have to find a way to make synthweaving armstech and armormech worth crafting again. I have all crafting professions cept armstech and i can tell you there is nothing wrong with any of the crafting professions that can craft dread guard items atm.

5) I think the big problem is only a small amount of people really want World PVP .. i rolled on a PVE server for a reason ... if i want to pvp i will go in a warzone ... that being said ... if the pvp flag system wasnt so busted i would say go all SWG on them and let people flag pvp on and off with a smaller time between them.so you can decide your sick of getting powned and want to go back to doing dailies or what have you without harassment. 5 mins is dumb. Also give people a reason to have fights and not trade kills ... that is the problem with illum .. no reason because when there was a reason people cheated it for easy gear.

GEAR .... biggest problem with PVP esepecially on PVE servers .... you want to get gear so you can pvp but people get all bent when you have nothing but dread guard gear when your trying to earn it. If you could buy expertise kits with BH coms so that you could start it or if you choose the cash instead of recruit gear that the recruit gear box should still be purchaseable for that same price .... i would gladly pvp more if i could pay the 350k and get a set of gear that would be better for pvp now. at the time 350k each for 5 characters ment i got good PVE armor instead ....

6) I agree for group space they need to go with a battlefront style gameplay .... but i dont see group space combat for a long time .. not until capital ships and possibly battlefront 2 / cox style guild vs guild pvp.

fingers crossed myself.

7)I agree with cross server queues for PVP and HM FPs and GF ops runs. Queues are a pain no one likes them and they fustrate people especially dps who wait hours just to watch the queue line for 2 mins as someone fell asleep waiting for queue. Cross server will remedy that to some degree at least.

8) Expand ships agree ... open space flight exploration DISAGREE COMPLETELY its what killed SWG for many people ... we want to get to quests faster not give people a reason NOT go get there or to take there sweet time while others are waiting on them. Raid travel IN RAID is already too long ... now you want people to FLY THEMSELVES to the planets .. might as well just kill the game now if that is the case. Space exploration does not need to exist in this game because its a GROUND BASED MMO. Space is a mini game the way it should be ... asking to imporve that mini game by adding multiplayer and warzone like space is cool ... free exploration will just take more people out of queues and make queue times longer not cause they are doing something but because they are aimlessly wandering around space.

9) meh .... story will come with new levels ... cant see them re scripting current stuff just cause. Its counter productive would rather developers and writers spend there time on new content. Personally

That's because 14000HP people playing against 24000Hp people in full EWH gear is not something alot of people want to do. Unless you are sadomasochistic. Most of my Guild being among the people not interested in that. We are all fed up with 50+ PVP. It's not enjoyable AT ALL. Period. The PVP is broken and utterly unfair. I gave up on 50+ PVP.

pre 50 PVP is a blast however.

THIS.

PvP is horribly broken at 50, and not much better sub-50.

My ideas:

1) Implement cross-server PvP. We're tired of fighting the same team over and over and over.

2) Seperate sub-50 pvp into 2 brackets - 10-25, and 25-50.

3) Add a 30 minute cooldown before queuing again for anyone who leaves a match in progress.

4) Fix class balance. Fix class balance. Fix class balance.

5) Did I mention fixing class balance?

This is very encouraging. Its good to see that BioWare thinks the game is going well as a lot of negativity on the forums has led me to believe otherwise. I look forward to Update 1.7, looks like there finally going to fix Illum (even though I don't know what went wrong with it in the first place, its taboo on general chat :D). And I'm really looking forward to Makeb. And SGRs, can't say I'm interested in this but its nice to see BioWare responding to something that a lot of the community has been asking for, I honestly thought it was never going to happen.

Onwards and upwards BioWare!

Negativity is what forums are for ..... never read game forums for positive reinforcement. People go on forums to complain ... and in the rare occasion to read new update info or look for hints and tips. Only the smallest % of players actively post on forums and only the smallest % of them say something meaning full. The rest are only there to troll them for there opinions. This is why MMOs never succeed for long because developers have yet to learn that the majority of the player base ignore forums .. that the people posting on forums don't speak for all of us .. and that if you change things based on forum complainers ALONE your going to alienate the majority of players who actually spend more time PLAYING then Complaining.

Thank you, Jeff, for giving us the update on SGRs that we've been waiting and asking for !

And thank you, Bioware, for stating so definitively that SGRs are a part of SWTOR !

And thank you for putting SGR options in Makeb, a significant gesture to show that the SotG wasn't just words !

Thank you !

1) He stated that they are working on bugs ... and since launch there has been patches all the time addressing bugs of any serious nature .... as a programmer myself i know its not always easy to find out why your code isnt working properly especially when its someone elses poor code effecting yours without you knowing it.

Don't make excuses for them. There are bugs in the game that have existed since beta. Not only are these not getting fixed, they are creating new bugs all the time. There seems to be more bugs now than there was at the end of beta.

Edited by EcrirTwyLar

Bioware I have a solution to make us OWPVPers happy and everyone else happy who do not want to be forced to pvp.

How about you add in a few open world pvp area's like outlaws den. Make them drop Merc comms within this zone. And also add a few daily pvp quest and weeklies. to kill x amount of players within.

The merc comm conversion should be 5 merc comms to 1 normal comms to prevent exploiting

Bam...open world pvp solved

Personally, I am very happy to see that we will finally be able to copy to PTS. I'm happy to help test, but didn't want to start a new toon. Now, maybe, I can copy an end-game and a mid-level toon and be able to do meaningful testing.
Yes ! ! !

How about you add in a few open world pvp area's like outlaws den. Make them drop Merc comms within this zone. And also add a few daily pvp quest and weeklies. to kill x amount of players within.

Bam...open world pvp solved

That would only work under some very narrow conditions, most of all equal numbers. As I've written before, at least some servers have issues with that, having e.g. Imperials outnumber Reps about 2:1. That would require instancing, admission control, or other "unnatural" restrictions on those zones, giving the whole thing a rather stale aftertaste.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see working open world PvP in this game, it's just that I don't see it happening with the current overall balance. In hindsight, the games that got it right (so pretty much only DAoC for end-game PvP) probably just got lucky. It's tricky, and the entire game needs to be designed to that end to make it work.

During the Rakghoul event, Tatooine saw some surprisingly fun random PvP, but I doubt that'd have survived in the long run, or if there'd been actual gains from it.

Wookies are humanoids, not animals.

Ask any Trandoshan.

Edited by Laurreth

• Dev Post

As a reminder, discussion of political and social issues is NOT permitted on the forums. Additionally, wishing harm on others based on their sexuality, race, gender, or any such basis is considered extremely inappropriate and will result in suspensions.

Edited by AllisonBerryman

Sigh, so paid transfers are not going to come out until later this year? If it is delayed that is more than a year. I can't think of one good reason why it would take that long. The code is there. It should be already implemented. I understand that they wanted to wait for F2P to settle down. That is done. Please do not delay this any longer. Not only are you losing money from the transfers, but you are potentially losing subs.

If we really have to wait until "later this year", please tell us why.

Since they're doing story related updates, I would really appreciate a comment on the state of a class story line expansion. I mean, how do you promote alting so much with individual class story lines and legacy and then leave those same people out in the cold come expansion time?

I realize they want to make it more about the bigger conflict now, but how awesome would it have been if Mekeb would have had multiple antagonists all trying to accomplish the same end goal, but you get to face off with a different one depending on your class? Heck, half a dozen class quest lines involving said antagonist would have probably sufficed. Even better, they could have done a two-parter. 1st part is the individual antagonist and the second part is a "main" antagonist that is shared by all. That way, the new FPs and Ops could be centered around everyone trying to take down a common foe. But the first part would have made the content worth replaying on each and every class.

I'm just worried that that part of the game is done. Which is honestly the best part (for me). If we could at least get a "More class stories are in production" line, I'd be happy for now.

Sigh, so paid transfers are not going to come out until later this year? If it is delayed that is more than a year. I can't think of one good reason why it would take that long. The code is there. It should be already implemented. I understand that they wanted to wait for F2P to settle down. That is done. Please do not delay this any longer. Not only are you losing money from the transfers, but you are potentially losing subs.

If we really have to wait until "later this year", please tell us why.

Because they felt other things had a higher priority.

Since they're doing story related updates, I would really appreciate a comment on the state of a class story line expansion. I mean, how do you promote alting so much with individual class story lines and legacy and then leave those same people out in the cold come expansion time?

I realize they want to make it more about the bigger conflict now, but how awesome would it have been if Mekeb would have had multiple antagonists all trying to accomplish the same end goal, but you get to face off with a different one depending on your class? Heck, half a dozen class quest lines involving said antagonist would have probably sufficed. Even better, they could have done a two-parter. 1st part is the individual antagonist and the second part is a "main" antagonist that is shared by all. That way, the new FPs and Ops could be centered around everyone trying to take down a common foe. But the first part would have made the content worth replaying on each and every class.

I'm just worried that that part of the game is done. Which is honestly the best part (for me). If we could at least get a "More class stories are in production" line, I'd be happy for now.

Nope. They feel other things are more important to the game that is supposed to be a MMO. May be Bioware is admitting that this game is truly a single player game with an online option.

Because they felt other things had a higher priority.

The problem is, their priorities don't seem to mesh with what players are constantly asking for. I mean, they have their artists work on improving shadows and lighting, something that I never really heard many requests for, and yet those same artists can't seem to fix a lot of the graphical bugs currently plaguing the game.

The problem is, their priorities don't seem to mesh with what players are constantly asking for. I mean, they have their artists work on improving shadows and lighting, something that I never really heard many requests for, and yet those same artists can't seem to fix a lot of the graphical bugs currently plaguing the game.

Is that really the artists or the programmers? Graphical bugs are generally an issue with coding and not an art issue. In fact, just about all bugs originate in the coding as that is what the world is built on.

Is that really the artists or the programmers? Graphical bugs are generally an issue with coding and not an art issue. In fact, just about all bugs originate in the coding as that is what the world is built on.

So, the Revan mask clipping isn't an artist thing?