Taung as a future Cartel Species!

Terin

Let's face it; Mandalorians are awesome, and the Taung are the species that birthed the culture. I would love nothing more than to see them rise from the shadows, and be made playable as Bounty Hunters and Warriors, and maybe Troopers and Consulars (Knight doesn't feel quite right, by default).

Seeing as they've never had a truly canon appearance, I would personally suggest drawing some inspiration from another BioWare franchise, Mass Effect. Specifically, Garrus Vakaran and the Turian race. Now, I am *NOT* saying you need to rip them off whole-sale, but I think the overall look would serve as good inspiration. We don't need perfect lip-syncing or anything, just enough that we can tell if they're angry or happy.

Also, for their Racial Social Ability, I would personally like something like "War Cry", making him roar ferociously, but causing nearby people to quiver in fear. Just a thought.

Of course, I would personally still *LOVE* to see a full-on Mandalorian class, based on the Canderous Ordo style of Mandalorian (as opposed to the Fett-family Mandalorian). Give him kind of a "Roman Gladiator" sort of vibe, wielding either Assault Cannons or non-Lightsaber melee-weapons (ie. Vibroblades, Electro-staffs). Granted, an entire Class is probably a *TON* of work, but hey; I can dream, right?

Though while I would like to play as the actual Mandalorian species....they would be extinct by now.

Not necessarily true; we know at least one survived. Granted, they would still be on the verge of extinction either way, but... well, when you can play as a Sith Pureblood Knight or Smuggler, I think you've already jumped ship :p

Not necessarily true; we know at least one survived. Granted, they would still be on the verge of extinction either way, but... well, when you can play as a Sith Pureblood Knight or Smuggler, I think you've already jumped ship :p

Thats different, being theres plenty of purebloods and being a pureblood doesn't mean that you always gotta be darkside or that you have to be force sensitive. Theres plenty of non-force sensitive purebloods in the game, so it at least makes some sort of sense that they could be knights or smugglers.

Thats different, being theres plenty of purebloods and being a pureblood doesn't mean that you always gotta be darkside or that you have to be force sensitive. Theres plenty of non-force sensitive purebloods in the game, so it at least makes some sort of sense that they could be knights or smugglers.

True, it makes sense on a purely scientific level, but you have to admit; it's strange :p

In any case, the actual, permanent extinction of an entire species is kind of difficult to establish anyways. If the pure-blooded Sith species could survive, I should imagine a few lone Taung could survive in some capacity. Like the Sith Purebloods, they could be introduced on to the scene, yet still be available for other Classes through game-mechanics.

Just realize that the sith purebloods in the game are not pure blood, they interbred with humans long time ago, purebloods are just those who have some physical appearance of the ancient sith. But when you say the tuang, were they humans or a species that evolved into human mandalorians. For example, Correllians and Alderanians are human naturally, they just are on different planets. So wouldnt a mandalorian, seeing that is what they are, be human too?

Just realize that the sith purebloods in the game are not pure blood, they interbred with humans long time ago, purebloods are just those who have some physical appearance of the ancient sith. But when you say the tuang, were they humans or a species that evolved into human mandalorians. For example, Correllians and Alderanians are human naturally, they just are on different planets. So wouldnt a mandalorian, seeing that is what they are, be human too?

Mandalorians aren't a race, merely a culture. The Taung were the species that created the Mandalorian culture, which basically makes them the "Mandalorian species".

It's entirely possible they could do something similar to the Sith Purebloods, and that the Taung are kind of a hybrid. I just don't want them to have totally humanoid faces. Even if they aren't as expressive as existing races, I want something that really stands out.

I'm a total Mandohead and would love to be able to play a Taung, but canonically it's kind of hard to bring them back without an elaborate explanation of how they are still around. They pretty much drove themselves to extinction, and if not for the fact that they invited other species to join their culture the Mandalorians as a whole would have been gone from the galaxy long before the game.

And they have a canon appearance, seen here.

As for a Mandalorian class... I'd rather see new ACs pop up. Mandalorian warrior could be a new bounty hunter AC, complete with blaster rifles and cannons. Not that it's ever going to happen, but it's the only way I'd see it happening.

I'm a total Mandohead and would love to be able to play a Taung, but canonically it's kind of hard to bring them back without an elaborate explanation of how they are still around. They pretty much drove themselves to extinction, and if not for the fact that they invited other species to join their culture the Mandalorians as a whole would have been gone from the galaxy long before the game.

And they have a canon appearance, seen here.

As for a Mandalorian class... I'd rather see new ACs pop up. Mandalorian warrior could be a new bounty hunter AC, complete with blaster rifles and cannons. Not that it's ever going to happen, but it's the only way I'd see it happening.

As far as the Taung, like I said, I just don't see their situation being terribly different from the Sith Purebloods. Maybe there could be a small, newly-discovered Taung settlement on Ilum, and the Republic and Empire paved the way to try and accept them into their ranks, in order to make them playable. It's a stretch, but honestly, there are very few species that are honestly that exciting that the average joe would want to purchase them (and the Cathar seemed an even stranger choice).

As for Mandalorians as a Class... probably far-fetched, but I'd be more surprised to see more AC's. The main reason is simple; I think a lot of Bounty Hunters would be upset if they had to trudge through the same story again, just to get the Mandalorian that they really wanted in the first place. It would be expensive to make an all-new campaign, but I think the pay-off, both for players and for the dev profits, would make the investment more worthwhile, whereas by adding new AC's, you run the risk of alienating existing players.

As for Mandalorians as a Class... probably far-fetched, but I'd be more surprised to see more AC's. The main reason is simple; I think a lot of Bounty Hunters would be upset if they had to trudge through the same story again, just to get the Mandalorian that they really wanted in the first place. It would be expensive to make an all-new campaign, but I think the pay-off, both for players and for the dev profits, would make the investment more worthwhile, whereas by adding new AC's, you run the risk of alienating existing players.

Or offer an AC respec if added. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of a Mandalorian class complete with a storyline. Maybe even a class available for both factions; we know there are Mandalorians who oppose Mandalore, after all.

I would imagine they are in a slightly more dire situation than the Sith Purebloods, but the Galaxy is a big place and there are bound to be some left. However if they are implemented they need to actually look like this:

http://http://images-mediawiki-sites.thefullwiki.org/11/3/3/1/79833192332836384.jpg

All they would need is basically a new head model, and new hands...other than that they are human like. the heads are basically just clawed human hands so...thats easy.

Considering the Mandalorian Wars, which dealt a major blow to the number of Taung alive, was ~300 years before this game begun. It is safe to say that the Taung are either all extinct or have mixed species to the point that there aren't any natural Taung still living.

I think, more than likely, all base classes are going to get a new AC since EAWare doesn't need to spend long hours coming up with new cutscenes and paying voice actors. The trees are easily retrofit as are potential abilities. To this end, I think Mandalorian would be a wonderful AC for the bounty hunter, but as a species choice, it's highly unlikely. Especially if it would allow the use of blaster rifles like everyone has been petitioning for. Sorry, but i'm not sold in the idea of bounty hunters using specifically melee weapons or assault cannons. They just aren't weapons of utility as I would expect a proper bounty hunter to lean towards. Edited by althene

I think, more than likely, all base classes are going to get a new AC since EAWare doesn't need to spend long hours coming up with new cutscenes and paying voice actors. The trees are easily retrofit as are potential abilities. To this end, I think Mandalorian would be a wonderful AC for the bounty hunter, but as a species choice, it's highly unlikely. Especially if it would allow the use of blaster rifles like everyone has been petitioning for. Sorry, but i'm not sold in the idea of bounty hunters using specifically melee weapons or assault cannons. They just aren't weapons of utility as I would expect a proper bounty hunter to lean towards.

I kind of wouldn't like for Mandalorian to be an AC of the Bounty Hunter because

they can become an Mandalorian through the Bounty Hunter Class Story

If anything, I'd much rather Mandalorian became its own Class, with its own Storyline and its own set of Companions.

I'd love to see more playable species like the Taung available in the game. There's already a thread up where you can discuss, list and vote which you'd like to see playable:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=231833

As for the Taung, like the Sith Purebloods we can assume there aren't that many left. We would've said the Sith Purebloods would be impossible to make available back during early stages of SWTOR's development but here we see them as playable. We know at least a few Taung have survived but no specific amount. SWTOR can be their chance of survival before being completely extinct.

Edited by Vitas

Or offer an AC respec if added. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of a Mandalorian class complete with a storyline. Maybe even a class available for both factions; we know there are Mandalorians who oppose Mandalore, after all.

I actually had done a big, long, massive post a while back on that very idea. Long story short, I could totally see a Clan Ordo breaking away and opposing the current Mandalore, challenging his claim, and aligning themselves with the Republic. The Republic, in turn, would pretty much have to let them join, as Canderous Ordo obviously had strong ties to Revan.

But obviously, that's something that could be a very long ways off. Even beyond creative the Class itself, with whatever mechanics it might use, there's all of that Voice-Acting, and the bar for that has been set pretty high. For the immediate future, I think introducing the Taung as a playable species would be a sizable task, but it would definitely be awesome. Plus, it would mark the introduction of a *truly* alien species, even if the body itself remains fairly humanoid.

I kind of wouldn't like for Mandalorian to be an AC of the Bounty Hunter because

they can become an Mandalorian through the Bounty Hunter Class Story

If anything, I'd much rather Mandalorian became its own Class, with its own Storyline and its own set of Companions.

I don't disagree with you at all since I've played through the BH storyline twice now (and at least one more is on the horizon since I started over on PvE servers). But seeing anything at all is more likely the less work there is in making it happen. And by work, I actually mean "money thrown at it". To do a completely new story, with all the voice acting and cutscenes would be a monumental task for the new EAWare. They just downsized and are looking at ways to prop up a title that has a ton of potential, but currently lies floundering. Throwing that much money at the game at this stage would be a bad idea from every angle.

Now, this leaves the arguement of "I'd rather see it done right that see a halfassed attempt at hooking people", but let's face it, without many people are replaying the same AC for the story. They've already seen it. They just want to do things differently while retaining their comfort level with the class.

As a whole, I'd love nothing more than to see them crack open the coffers and go broke feeding us story arc after story arc. But realistically, I want to see more options. 8 stories with 16 classes seems like a lot, but when you boil it down, its really only 8 stories with 8 classes, since they mirror each other in all but name and possible weapon choice. Add in an additional AC for each class that ISN'T mirrored, and I think things could get very interesting. It might be more of a headache on the ballance side of things, but stirring things up might just be what the game needs right now.

I don't disagree with you at all since I've played through the BH storyline twice now (and at least one more is on the horizon since I started over on PvE servers). But seeing anything at all is more likely the less work there is in making it happen. And by work, I actually mean "money thrown at it". To do a completely new story, with all the voice acting and cutscenes would be a monumental task for the new EAWare. They just downsized and are looking at ways to prop up a title that has a ton of potential, but currently lies floundering. Throwing that much money at the game at this stage would be a bad idea from every angle.

Now, this leaves the arguement of "I'd rather see it done right that see a halfassed attempt at hooking people", but let's face it, without many people are replaying the same AC for the story. They've already seen it. They just want to do things differently while retaining their comfort level with the class.

As a whole, I'd love nothing more than to see them crack open the coffers and go broke feeding us story arc after story arc. But realistically, I want to see more options. 8 stories with 16 classes seems like a lot, but when you boil it down, its really only 8 stories with 8 classes, since they mirror each other in all but name and possible weapon choice. Add in an additional AC for each class that ISN'T mirrored, and I think things could get very interesting. It might be more of a headache on the ballance side of things, but stirring things up might just be what the game needs right now.

The problem is, they *have* to be mirrored, otherwise it dramatically impacts the PvP scenario. As well, giving an AC to one Class means they have to with the other 3 archetypes, as well. On that level, a new Class only involves two AC's.

I do get what you mean, in that it's cheaper because it doesn't involve new Story or Dialogue, which is definitely a valid point. I think at that point, it simply becomes a question of "Which do they stand to gain more"?

I can't speak for anybody else, but I personally don't find the thought of new AC's for existing Classes to be particularly exciting, and certainly not enough that I would want to purchase one. In fact, they'd be hard-pressed to get me to play one up even if it was free, unless it was some kind of "Prestige/New Game+" kind of deal, where you re-leveled an existing character as some kind of "Ultimate AC".

Which, in all honesty, maybe isn't the worse idea. If Jedi Knights could break free of the shacked of Guardian or Sentinel as a "Jedi Master", becoming more well-rounded duelists capable of wielding any lightsaber-type, or if a Bounty Hunter could finally pick up a Blaster Rifle (or even Assault Cannon) as a Mandalorian, I would totally replay the game. It would get older plays using older content again, while giving new players a larger pool of similarly-leveled players to interact with.

Either way, whether we're talking new Classes, or simply new AC's, that's a long ways off! The possible addition of the Taung, however, it something I could maybe see happening in just a few months, if BioWare/EA decided they were interested. My worry is that, if the Cathar sell poorly, then they'll just scrap the idea entirely. The problem being that, personally, I just don't see the appeal of the Cathar. Maybe it's just because I don't know much about Star Wars Lore, but my only exposure to the Cathar was through Aric, who I absolutely despise.

[snip]

Either way, whether we're talking new Classes, or simply new AC's, that's a long ways off! The possible addition of the Taung, however, it something I could maybe see happening in just a few months, if BioWare/EA decided they were interested. My worry is that, if the Cathar sell poorly, then they'll just scrap the idea entirely. The problem being that, personally, I just don't see the appeal of the Cathar. Maybe it's just because I don't know much about Star Wars Lore, but my only exposure to the Cathar was through Aric, who I absolutely despise.

Realistically speaking, new classes can be rolled out just about every month IF they use existing story arcs and IF they use the same animations. Both of those require extensive time to develop and implement. I'm not saying the end results would be pretty, just that it's as easy as cut and paste. I do agree it'll be a bit down the road, and I'm happy for that. They have a lot more things to be working on right now.

As far as Cathar in the game go, Aric isn't the only one you will have encountered. There's the Cathar that blackmails you with the medicine she stole on Ord Mantell right off the bat. There's also a Cathar pirate you cross paths with later. Bounty hunters run into a Cathar hunter on one of their quests and, surprise, they want to kill you too. They mostly appear to be the "Gypsy" type for SWTOR. And who doesn't like cat-gypsy-things, right?

There are a lot of Cathar in the game, just most want to kill you or are fairly 2 dimensional. Not only that, they're hard to spot due to the fact most just look like bald humans. We'll have to see what character creation options are available when they drop, but I'm going to bet they're gonna skimp on options.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...