Transfering mods between alts

Jedi_riches

Whilst not exactly a new player question, this is probably the best place for my question.

I have my main character at 43 who has cybertech and use him to craft armour and mods for my lower alts. I always have a material shortage in keeping them all up to date and require using the GTN for certain materials. Is is cheeper in the long run to use Legacy gear (I hit level 10 yesterday) to transfer my mods between may alts keeping them about the same level i.e transfer willpower items from kira one outleveled to my slightly lower consular (DPS spec) or to craft new items each time and grab the materials I need off GTN. I am currently leveling a smugglar, consular, guardian and another trooper (Vanguard).

In the long run, using legacy armor will be cheaper, or at least easier, then crafting the mods everytime you start a new char.

As you said yourself, getting the needed mats tends to be hard, you either have to farm them from the crew skills (costs money+time, especially for blue or purple mods) or buy them from the GTN (cost money). If you use legacy armors to send them to your alts, this obviously costs you the mats one time, and then only some money to get the mods out of the armors.

In my opinion/experience, the amount of money you have to spend to pull the mods out of the armor is lower than the costs of the mats on the GTN/from missions. But you have to check for yourself, how much that amount is exactly and how much you spend on the GTN usually.

Lately, I only use the armorings from planetary commendations for my alts.

I buy a set of (good looking ^^) orange armor pretty early (between L10&20) and from there on I only buy the blue armorings for planetary commendations. I do the class and planetary questline on each planet and some of the side quests too. Additionally, I play lots of FPs.

So round about at the end of each planet (or sometimes each second one) I have gathered up to 100 planetary comms, and then I go buy a new set of armorings from the vendor.

That keeps my char up to date pretty well.

Legacy armor is awesome. I got 4 pieces of Campaign gear and attached it to Legacy armor. Saved so much time that I would spend getting classic comms.

May I ask a newb question? What is legacy armor and campaign gear? Where and how do you get them? What levels are these for?

I've picked up a few oranges on the GTN to supplement the ones I've picked up through regular leveling and work in mods for that, but haven't done much for any alts yet. Anything I can do to make gearing them easier would be wonderful, as well as gearing my 35ish main. So I'd love to know more about this gear.

May I ask a newb question? What is legacy armor and campaign gear? Where and how do you get them? What levels are these for?

Legacy gear is gear that you can buy from the Legacy Vendors on your faction's capital planet (there are also some Legacy weapons that can be purchased from some event vendors, but that is another discussion :)).

There is a set of gear that you can purchase once you reach Legacy level 10 and another set you can purchase once you reach Legacy level 20 and it is class specific (NOTE: Legacy gear is expensive!).

Legacy gear items are "empty shells".

Legacy gear is bound to your legacy, which means that you can purchase the gear on one character and transfer it to another character in the same legacy (NOTE: all your characters in your currently active account that are on the same server will belong to the same legacy).

You can place armoring/mods/enhancements that are bound to a particular character in the gear and then transfer that gear to another character.

If that character is of the class specified on the gear, the class can equip the gear. If the character is not of the class specified on the gear they can remove the armorings/mods/enhancements and place them in their current gear (they will automatically become bound to the new character on removal).

Hope that helps...

The one you can get from bounty hunter event is pretty nice too and probably a bit cheaper to buy unless they made the legacy level based set cheaper. Also the event set is nice because it's not class-based so any character can equip the armor without having to rip the mods off. And you don't need certain legacy level for it.

How to get it? About once every month there is a bounty hunting event up. You participate by doing bounties that you can get from the Cartel Bazaar area in the fleet. You can do one bounty per day per character but if you got alts at Coruscant/Dromund Kaas level (I think... I don't have any toons that low level anymore) you can use those as well. Doing the bounties every day for the week the event is up should get you to newcomer and that's the reputation level required for the first legacy bound set. Someone with better knowledge of the event can correct me here, I didn't really bother with it.