Lightning / Telekinetics Set Bonuses and Tactical Items

EricMusco

2. Thundering blast now insta-cast and knock target down for 3 seconds

This sounds really fun. I imagine against players, it would be a knockback, rather than a knockown. What if it had to be used within 10m to get the KB effect? I'm imagining force speeding to the target as I channel TB.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

Tac item suggestion for Lightning Sorcs.

Allow ALL abilities to be used on the move, including all castable abilities like force lightning, crushing darkness, healing, etc. Even able to use force bubble on the move.

That could off set the fact that they do less than optimal single target damage.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

@Eric, I still think just like lore, that Sages and Sorcs should be able to have 1 02 2 Saber skills, but at the cost of another Sage/Sorc skill or 2.

Maybe just change the animation for some reflection or absorb passives/utilities or DCD abilities to make it look like the lightsaber is reflecting the damage or mitigating it.

Link to Main Forum Post with Google Doc of Failure's Set Bonus and Tactical Item suggestions

LIGHTNING/TELEKINETICS

Tactical Suggestions:

• Chain Lightning/Telekinetic Wave spreads Affliction/Weaken Mind to all targets it hits so long as one of them has Affliction/Weaken Mind.
  • Thundering Blast/Turbulence is now a cleave, similar to Tyrans.
    • Functions similar to dual saber throw
      • 35m centered on a target, hitting everything between you and the target and past that target in a 35m line.

[*]Bioware Chain Lightning/Telekinetic Wave Ideas because they are actually really good

Set Bonus:

• 2 set - Reduces the cooldown of Polarity Shift/Mental Alacrity by 15 seconds.
  • 4 set - During Polarity Shift/Mental Alacrity, Force Storm/Forcequake can be placed instead of channeled and deals 100% more damage (ie double damage). Only one Force Storm/Forcequake may be active at a time. [Recklessness does not affect Force Storm.]
  • 6 set - Affliction/Weaken Mind critical hits cause your next Force Lightning/Telekinetic Throw to channel and tick twice as fast. This cannot occur more than once every 10 seconds.

Other ideas:

• Lightning Bolt now builds a stack of x, stacks up to 3 times. Increasing the Shock damage by 10% per stack.
    • Potentially better suited to a passive.

[*]Affliction or Weaken Mind damage has a 30% chance to increased alacrity by 5% for 15 seconds. Cannot occur more than once every 20 seconds.

Hey folks,

Following our Onslaught announcement at SW Celebration we want to start diving into feedback right away. I want to use this thread to talk about Tactical Item effects and Set Bonuses for Lightning and Telekinetics Disciplines. Our goal for set bonuses is to introduce new bonuses, and potentially with even new sizes so you can mix and match. Tactical Items are a new item type that is meant to be build defining and most likely to directly impact how an ability works. For inspiration here are two completely made up Chain Lightning Examples:

1. Chain Lightning now does all of its total damage to only one target, and no longer jumps.
  2. Chain Lightning now jumps even more and does additional damage to secondary targets.

That would allow you to take a standard ability and allow it to be modified to fit your playstyle. Please use this thread to brainstorm ideas and make as many recommendations as you would like! For context:

• Tactical Items: These should modify one of your Advanced Class/Discipline abilities to work differently. The goal is for you to use the ability in situations you previously wouldn’t (more often, against specific targets, etc)
  • Set Bonuses: These should be focused on the broader “kind of tools” your class uses, but not specific abilities. Some examples are sets that center around bleeds, force damage, lightning, shields, cover, and so on.

Set bonuses, tacticals, both, let us know what you would like to see. I may not respond frequently in this thread but know that I am going to be compiling everything and sending it over to the team.

-eric

I specifically Re-Subscribed to solely be able to message on these forums on this thread

( so imagine how many others Subscribers that'll return if you consider my idea )

Tactical Items = More Action-Combat Abilities ( i.e. abilities that does not require a target ( some already established abilities are " Cyclone Slash " , " Whirling Blow " , " Gun Sweep " Mortar Volley " , " Force Quake " and others

My only request - no more telegraphs ( can you remove them? )

An example

• " Force Jump " = Just like in the movies, some Jedi and Sith can Jump. An ability that'll look different from the environment. Think of Ataru Form ( ... the Original Ataru Form via acrobatics
  • Blade Twirling: Could be outside of Combat. Could also be an RP gig ( idk )

Aim for Jedi Academy's Style Combat.

Bring back the Jedi Forms

• Shi-Cho
  • Makashi
  • Ataru ( Acrobatics .. not a " speedy " form )
  • Soresu
  • Shi-en / Djem So
  • Niman
  • Juyo ( not the previous one )

cross-class tactical items:

- Permanently increased movement speed by x%.

- Permanently increased vehicle speed by x%.

- Permanently increased jump height and range

- Strongly reduced character size, reduced damage values, reduced defense values, greatly increased movement speed

Madness:

- Affliction also applies Creeping Terror

- The Area of Effect radius of Death Field is increased by x%. Targets hit by Death Field receive 20 charges of Deathmark.

- The Area of Effect radius of Death Field is reduced by x%. The damage is increased by x%.

- Recklessness becomes Dread Mastering. Besides applying a damage over time effect Creeping Terror and Affliction are also dealing x damage on impact (the overall dot-damage as an additional instant damage).

Lightning:

- Crushing Darkness can be applied while moving. The Casttime is reduced by x%.

- Chain Lightning hits up to x additional targets and the Area of Effect radius is increased by x%. Damage is reduced by x%.

- Chain Lightning becomes Concentrated Lightning. Concentrated Lightning hits one target for x to x internal damage.

- Force Lightning can be used while moving.

- Force Storm hits x additional targets for x to x damage up to 6 times. The time to channel Force Storm is increased by 100%.

Edited by Citruzz

• 2 weeks later...

Lightning is a ranged burst spec that took a nerf to its burst to increase the sustained damage... I hope this can be changed since Thundering Blast is rather weak when compared to Ambush and Heatseeker Missiles on MM Sniper and Arsenal Merc respectively. I've managed a 41k Ambush in PVP and can get a lot of 30k crits on MM. While I haven't broken 40k on a Heatseeker Missile, I still average about 30k give or take 3k. Thundering blast on the other hand... yeah. I understand that it's weaker because auto crit with Affliction, and it has a chance - 25%/50% - to have Forked Lightning proc, and can be increased again with Recklessness. Even so, I still find it rather underwhelming since a 25% chance is lackluster to say the least. Then, there's Madness which got a massive buff to its burst, and sustained, by increasing the damage of Force Leech by 30% when a target is affected by Affliction. Madness burst is roughly the same as Lightning burst, albeit, slightly longer between windows. Lightning needs more burst and I believe most would be fine if it came at slight cost to sustained since sustained is supposed to be why you would pick Madness. And the easiest ways, I believe at least, to increase the burst would be to increase the passive critical damage boost provided by Reverberating Force or to allow an extra ability to benefit from that passive. then there's the fact that this spec is called Lightning and it doesn't utilize Force Lightning...

Tactical Items:

Increases DR by 10% wile not in a WZ or Arena. (Personally think lightning doesn't need the bulk since it has the mobility, but apparently there are those who do think more bulk is needed)

Lightning Bolt is now instant while in a WZ or Arena. (Probably broken)

Increases the Critical damage of all abilities by X%. (doesn't need to be much, perhaps 5-10%)

Increases the chance of Forked Lightning procs by 75%. In addition, any proc chance over 100% is converted to extra damage. (I think this would be really popular as the RNG element to Forked Lightning is not well-liked by myself and probably many others. Personally, i don't think a 25% damage boost would be too powerful since your Polarity Shift is on a fairly long cooldown)

Force Storm behaves how it was during 3.0 (awesome damage, the 6 second channel, and draining force cost). (I think Sorc should have awesome AoE damage potential on par with Snipers since Suppressive Fire is pretty crazy currently at the cost of massive amounts of energy. Make Force Storm similar again please)

Set Bonus:

2pc: Dealing damage with Affliction increases all damage dealt by 5% for 15 seconds. Can only occur once every 30 seconds. In addition, Recklessness now provides an additional stack on use.

4pc: Crushing darkness now applies all of its DoT damage immediately with the initial hit while under the effects of Force Flash. (More burst and may require a damage adjustment)

6pc: Hitting a target with Thundering Blast increases the damage of your next Force Lightning by X% (I'm not sure what would be good, but let's go with 75%) and reduces the channel time by 50%. (Brings Force Lightning back into the spec and keeps it from destroying your mobility by reducing the channel time. This should probably be the new passive for the spec, but move the passive so that it follows the level you gain Thundering Blast (it would be the level 28 skkill tree passive currently since thats the first passive you get once you are given Thundering Blast). So many people seem to use Force Lightning despite it being a DPS loss currently)

6pc: Dealing critical damage reduces the cooldown of Polarity Shift by 1.5 seconds. In adittion, Recklessness Stacks have a 33% chance of not being consumed when dealing critical damage. (in case the aforementioned 6pc is made into the new passive)

Edited by SpleneticGamer

As a DCD, Sorcerers project a force wall that absorbs dmg incoming from the specific direction. Has the same cooldown as force barrier and same effects. Also when projecting the force wall, enemies cannot walk or run through that wall allowing sorcerers to make an escape or buy them time while they plot their next move. Simliar to Fortnites wall build ability.

Suggestions:

1. Shock reduces CD of crushing darkness. This would allow people to use crushing darkness followed by shock and have less downtime before being able to use crushing darkness again.

2. Static barrier falling off increases dmg reduction by 15% for 6 seconds.

• 1 month later...

Good evening folks of the Swtor community.

TL-DR I know and apologies for the post became much longer then I first wanted. Thx to everyone who read it all!

Part 1/2

Been away from the game about 1 year, ish and when I go to these forums and notice a BW post about my long played and beloved Lightning sorc I wanted to give my honest PoV. Btw this thread is for L-ing/Tele specs. I see some typing about Madness when they put out one specificly for that as well.

Before I dive deeper on my thoughts, I want to firstly share my thread from 04 29 2018: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=948394 (Possible Ling/Tele buff)

Most people in my thread back then agreed with me.

Another good info of what they have said over a year ago! So about time they do something about this issue.

(Live stream with Vulkk).

"@ 3:06 they finally acknowledged the dps issue with tk/litghnintg sage/sorc. Fingers crossed. Might even dust off my account and play my beloved caster once more. Who knows, 6.0 expanion might be a hit as well. Just hope they don't buff em too much or we will have another 150 forum posts about "nerf sage/sorc! they have been OP once and for a good while already" and such.

But glad they might seen the reality where mercs instant casting 30K crits, snipers 30k crits (uninteruptible) while sorcs need to cast their 18k-24k crits which is easy to interrupt and then there's the cooldown timer difference on these hard hitters (with passives/procs)"

========================================================================================

Part 2/2

Someone said: "Something that makes CL always have zero-cast time" this has some potential. Not needing to cast your TB/FS or such for instant CL but just zero timer with the same damage I'm not sure it will be enough as a "buff".

Quick thoughts about BW's own post:

1. Chain Lightning now does all of its total damage to only one target, and no longer jumps.

--> It's called Chained Lightning for a reason.

2. Chain Lightning now jumps even more and does additional damage to secondary targets.

--> Always something, keep the AoE in the ability and a little bit more burst vs more targets.

People talk about Force lightning in this Lightning thread, you should not even used it in your rotation, for Madness yes, it's even mandatory for your Demo dot. But sure I'm open to any proper buffs we might get.

I see people talking about being squishy, even with all those DR that sorcs has (with talents)

If we get some Real burst to back it up being that squishy then that's something atleast!

As a spellcaster in most MMOs has usually been a glass cannon. So I'm fine with that but most of us know who has been playing sorcs a long while is that we are glass but got no cannon Because we've been nerfed time and time again. Did hear as I just recently got back that Madness got a little buff, 30% extra dmg on "Force Leech".

But this is about Ling sorcs. Honestly I don't know which talents, abilities or new set price bonus with this new tactical thing would be best but one thing is sure, we need dps buff not def buff as a primary goal

I mean you could give me merc survival but as a cloth armor sorc I wanna have some burst, especially since that is what the spec is all about.

Madness with its recent buff feels more bursty from when I compared the two for a couple of days as I returned to the game. Key abilities from Ling spec that should hurt more would be TB or CL. Because I don't want to see out Lighting Bolt or any dot do more dmg then those two abilities, especially since this is a burst spec.

I know I know, BW must be careful with these things because they might mess things up with the PvE and don't get me wrong here, again as said earlier on this post that I don't want Ling to become super strong or we will have another 200 threds about nerfing us. Just like what happened with the old Madness sorcs but imho we have waited years for this spec to accually be atleast a Glass Cannon, and not just Glass part.

Remember this was MY opinion, ment no offence or step on folks toes.

Thank you for reading my essay!

• 1 month later...

Some good suggestions here but I feel a certain flair for actual customization is missing. Too much binary thinking of 'defense' vs 'dps'. I would hope these tactical items are more about changing game play flair than min maxing numbers in ops. I'd rather have tweaks that are 'cool' for general combat than dps or even permanent rotation changes.

Some examples.

1. Dominant Force Lightning

Force Lightning channels for twice as long, does 250% more damage, cooldown is doubled

flair: damage increased by 25% for ever other skill on cooldown

flair: channels until target is dead

or

Force Lightning damage increases by 25% and channel duration increases by 15% after casting lightning bolt / chain lighting. stacks 3 times.

?WHY? - well how fun would it be to actually throw FL in here and there as a single target finish off that last mob, this is the goal whether the numbers I made up are on point or not. FL becomes a flair finisher or even a rotational replacement for ST.

-

2. Afflicting Bolt

Lightning bolt now adds/refreshes affliction

?WHY? I hate casting affliction

Just two examples

Not sure what you guys are talking about in regards to being squishy.

I'd like a Tac item that increases my critical damage (aka Surge) by X%. Ling/TK hits like a wet noodle.

Exactly. ^

For far too long this iconic class has been left in a neutered state of no burst and ineffectiveness. In fact, the only thing ling IS good at is running and staying alive. Oh and off-healing! Love that off-healing.

I’d be happy if they removed the survivability and replaced it with high burst and decent hard hitting output.

Edited by Lhancelot