High resolution textures: can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

So, this is what the game looks like all the time:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/59/screenshot2012010419385.jpg/

And this is when you click on your holo terminal, just for 0,5 secs:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/851/screenshot2012010419390.jpg/

So yeah, somehow high-res textures are already in-game, but no way to use them outside cutscenes.

Hate to break the news to you but thats not high res textures. Thats just lighting, the textures are the same but the lighting allows it to go more in detail. This was already broken down in another thread.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate to break the news to you but thats not high res textures. Thats just lighting, the textures are the same but the lighting allows it to go more in detail. This was already broken down in another thread.

The detail in the armor design is clearly higher res that is not just lighting. Lighting system isn't going to make the armor look more detailed...the textures look much nicer.

For many people this game barely runs smoothly with the textures in the game now. You really think BW wants to risk more QQ by putting hi-res textures into the game and then having people figure out it drops them to 12 FPS? I'm not saying no one will be able to run them but putting them in the game now will just exacerbate the perception that this game is poorly coded. I'd say leave them out until they fix whatever flaws are making the lower-res version run like crap on so many systems.

I hit 12 fps with the crappy textures. I hit past a one hundred with the crappy textures. Its random and its lousy coding. This tells me that the game coding sucks. Also using QQ is lame wow terminology. Wich tells me your from wow wich tells me your opinion dosen't matter in the least.

Wrong, I recorded a video of it.

The difference is mind boggling.

I hit 12 fps with the crappy textures. I hit past a one hundred with the crappy textures. Its random and its lousy coding. This tells me that the game coding sucks. Also using QQ is lame wow terminology. Wich tells me your from wow wich tells me your opinion dosen't matter in the least.

Yup! It's time they hire in some real progamers, and/or buy a engine that works. I've never liked games built on the hero engine and TOR proves it again. At this point the game would be better off running on some 3d engine from the late 1990s... like the one used for tribes 2! LOL I mean heck at least it worked really well and tribes 2 had great GFX for its time. Eh well I have a bad feeling that bioware will never get this issue fix. They can't even talk to their community and that will only be the doom of them!

Man I thought I was seeing things when I saw that without knowing High-Res textures weren't included.

I hope they fix it for the sake of those of us that built powerful boxes for this game.

I'm not mad at the graphics as they are, but sometimes they can look very lackluster.

K, reinstalled and no difference. Don't bother.

Now that I saw how it's supposed to look (from the holo-terminal) I'm gonna take a break from the game because I am really missing out here. I am hoping Tuesday's big patch fixes it...

I don't think they mean an install from the CD's (like what you did).

I'm thinking about re-installing it via Origin, where it downloads the whole game again.

If you think QQ originated in WoW, you really shouldn't be talking about anything on the internet, ever. I've been using "QQ" since Quake 3, maybe before that, I dunno.

I also say "lol" sometimes. And "pwn." Those didn't originate in WoW either, just FYI. Nor did the acronyn FYI.

Edited by Mannic

I have to agree, I've been over those images zoomed and it's just a change in lighting.

I don't think they mean an install from the CD's (like what you did).

I'm thinking about re-installing it via Origin, where it downloads the whole game again.

Isn't re-installing via DVD the same thing? You're reinstalling the entire game again.

PS: how can you guys not see the difference between the blurry no detailed texture and the cleaner higher res texture.

Anyway no use in arguing over that. We can all agree we just want the damn textures fixed.

Edited by Improv-

BioWare trolled us with the textures in this game and they have yet to own up to the fact they are missing features from a shipped product that have representations in the game.

They've owned up to it... they've already acknowledged it's a bug and a fix is coming. This has been an issue since beta and they've been working on it for a while.

If you think this is just lighting then all of you blind people have no say in anything.

Before - http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8974/screenshot2012010710454.jpg

After - http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/553/hirez.png

Seriously...that is NOT a lighting change. A lighting change isn't going to magically give you cleaner textures. There is actual detail in the clothing. It's not just drawn on.

They've owned up to it... they've already acknowledged it's a bug and a fix is coming. This has been an issue since beta and they've been working on it for a while.

Yeah they owned up to and fix it alright... They renamed medium to high and drop high altogether. Time is running out or them to show prof that is being worked on or have it fix. 13 or so days till I hit the unsub button is all I'm saying, and no I'm not giving my stuff away because I'm hoping that in a year these issues are fix.

Yeah they owned up to and fix it alright... They renamed medium to high and drop high altogether. Time is running out or them to show prof that is being worked on or have it fix. 13 or so days till I hit the unsub button is all I'm saying, and no I'm not giving my stuff away because I'm hoping that in a year these issues are fix.

They've never claimed that they fixed it, and I didn't imply that they did? Until you see a patch note that says "High Resolution textures are functioning as intended," they haven't fixed it. All this other stuff is minor little stuff that people are misinterpreting.

The fix will come when it's ready. Obviously it isn't yet.

Edited by VicSkimmr