LAUNCH! (I'm in) My take on the launch...

WeppsSWG

Greetings all. Just wanted to say I got access yesterday, and played through my evening and here's what I think so far...

No lag. No waiting. Joined a heavy server, got right in, never got a lag spike of any kind through the evening. Turned graphics to High setting, no change in performance.

Gameplay - I have to say, I'm totally immersed in the story and the voice-overs are excellent. I am still learning obviously, but the transition from one quest zone to the next was smooth. This is just level 1 to 6. Combat - easy to learn, no troubles, with the exception of several deaths on Heroic missions lol.

Bugs - none that I noticed. Perhaps there are some relating to the math behind the scenes, but I found everything smooth running, and easily digested. This, to me, is the most critical factor in a superior launch.

Method of launch - the early launch controversy doesn't affect me. I didn't care if I had to wait an extra day. I realize many DO care. So in that, I would say the method used was questionable. I'm sure they have their reasons. Therefore, the only thing I would have done differently, is more clearly express those reasons to the awaiting customer base. Aside from that, WELL DONE!

Overall - I rate this a SUPERIOR LAUNCH! I've seen many. This was better than City of Heroes, and even Rift. Thanks a TON for all your efforts!

Wepps

I was in first day and was sad to see all the people dissing Bioware. This launch has been amazing. I have rarely experienced any lag (server was full first day too!), and only one ten minute queue yesterday. I noticed that they did fix a huge bug I experienced in beta where on Corruscant an enemy would disappear into the ground and you couldn't kill him/her. There have been a lot of good additions as well.

How do you know how many people will be buying the game? Are you a sales analyst?

The people that WANT to play right away already pre-ordered the game. There isn't going to be like a million people on the 20th that are going to be like 'OMG Star Wars MMO! Never heard of it! Cool!', but rather there might be maybe a couple thousand that get it then because they couldn't pre-order it for some reason. Don't take a 'sales analyst' to realize this.

90% of the people who will be playing on the 20th pre-ordered the game, so the 20th will not be anything special.
You greatly underestimate the power of seeing a new box on the shelves. Most newly released AAA MMOs will continue to climb in subscriptions for months before they actually begin to drop. I suspect we will see many, many more people to come in the next few weeks... especially given the Christmas release.

Day 31 will come and go... subscriptions will begin to hemorrhage... but the influx of new ones will keep the graph on the rise for quite some time (unless they really blow it in some huge way.)

Edited by Fascion

The people that WANT to play right away already pre-ordered the game. There isn't going to be like a million people on the 20th that are going to be like 'OMG Star Wars MMO! Never heard of it! Cool!', but rather there might be maybe a couple thousand that get it then because they couldn't pre-order it for some reason. Don't take a 'sales analyst' to realize this.

I agree. It's Star Wars, man! The people who are going to play it have been aware of its existence for some time.

I'm still dying to see Smuggler game play. I started a Bounty Hunter though, for tradition, as well as the fact that the guild my friends are in from Rift is Sith Imperial lol.

But there will be a lot of kids on the 25th who asked for it and were told, not until Xmas. I don't think the problem will be the 20th I think it will come in the days following Chrimbo.

But there will be a lot of kids on the 25th who asked for it and were told, not until Xmas. I don't think the problem will be the 20th I think it will come in the days following Chrimbo.

In every one I've played launched October or later, Christmas was also a major issue, yes. But if they can get through THIS so cleanly, I'm not really worried.

Have you ever been present for an MMO launch? Because with many others, there were like a hundred thousand people who decided to pick it up on launch day. Not everyone is a die-hard Star Wars fan... why would they need to be?

And yeah, there are probably a ton of people who will get the game for Christmas...

Edited by Mirela