Community: What's your opinion on BW's approach to releasing the Rakghoul event?

ViciousFett

Well, it's now Friday night and still no event launch. The patch was deployed on Tuesday morning and we've been twitter teased ever since.

I understand that the dev's intention was to make this event a surprise, like the original one, but when most of the community is already in the know and expecting it I feel this method is just cruel and annoying. I respect the effort to add some RP flavor with the Twitter and Facebook posts, but some of us would like to be able to allot time to the event in advance rather than constantly having to check to see if it's begun yet.

What do you guys think? Should BW be more transparent with all their events, or do you like not being in the loop?:rak_02:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it's now Friday night and still no event launch. The patch was deployed on Tuesday morning and we've been twitter teased ever since.

I understand that the dev's intention was to make this event a surprise, like the original one, but when most of the community is already in the know and expecting it I feel this method is just cruel and annoying. I respect the effort to add some RP flavor with the Twitter and Facebook posts, but some of us would like to be able to allot time to the event in advance rather than constantly having to check to see if it's begun yet.

What do you guys think? Should BW be more transparent with all their events, or do you like not being in the loop?:rak_02:

No, I love it :)

I mean it's easy enough to figure out that the event will be set in motion on a tuesday as per every other event, but I like that they are teasing it with in-universe story snippets.

Besides, you'll know when it starts soon enough.

No, I love it :)

I mean it's easy enough to figure out that the event will be set in motion on a tuesday as per every other event, but I like that they are teasing it with in-universe story snippets.

Besides, you'll know when it starts soon enough.

The original event started on Sunday April 15th, 2012

Edited by ViciousFett

There's no reason they couldn't give a proper date up front and still do their in-universe nonsense updates. The people who really enjoy those would probably still enjoy them. I think those posts are the same as the ones on the dev tracker though which is an infinite improvement from what we had back in the Dark Ages of No Information, when the only way to get official info was to hang out on *********** twitter since the official site only got updated with the same info days later. Edited by Pscyon

It's BS.

If you want to make it a surprise, make it a surprise.

If you want to tease it, tease it a couple times than launch. When one gets to do "omg twitter update, is it how, huh, huh, is it here??? Um... nope." for the 10th time the glee of anticipation is replaced by annoyance by that stage.

People are just such impatient little children.

They did say mid January and it makes perfect sense to not let it overlap with the Bounty Week, so why all this bs about "an approach"? It's pretty clear to me what they're doing, so I just don't get all the fuss. Guess this is what happens in a world where people want everything spelled out for them and have the patience of a 5-year-old.

Sorry people, sometimes you don't get what you want, when you want it. Sometimes you just have to wait a little.

Good intent but iffy implementaiton in my opinion. Might have been great if we did not know the event was comming from the THORN achievement section, dulfy, etc.

I love the snippets, but

1) if they dont launch it this weekend, I will be annoyed - there is only so much teasing you can take, especially for something you know is comming anyway.

2) the event better be good - all the teasing increases expectations, so it better deliver

You mean like having greee and xmas event at the same time? :p

The Life Day is a Holiday not an event, there is a difference. Plus all there was to do was throw a snowball where as if it was Gree and BH that means double the dailies and required rep grinds and wasted event opportunities.

So yeah. It's pointless to have two events running in the same week.

Edited by Reno_Tarshil

BH week was pointless to me the 2nd week it came back, I farmed enough rep for legend in week 1. It's what, the 10th BH event week now? Does anyone care about it any more?

yes. there is mount and pet you can buy now with completed contracts. mount is actualy pretty hot (and I'm enjoying my little pet as well - even if its recolor of cartel pets, its still very cute) plus there are people who missed it before, or who didn't bother maxing it out in a single week, etc etc.

naturally, it would be nice if they added more rewards to it (and some new bounties etc). to keep it interesting for those who have already gotten everything currently available that they wanted.

yes. there is mount and pet you can buy now with completed contracts. mount is actualy pretty hot (and I'm enjoying my little pet as well - even if its recolor of cartel pets, its still very cute) plus there are people who missed it before, or who didn't bother maxing it out in a single week, etc etc.

naturally, it would be nice if they added more rewards to it (and some new bounties etc). to keep it interesting for those who have already gotten everything currently available that they wanted.

Even adding new bounties would not motivate people with legend status, IMO.

I think this approach is great, but it would be better if we did not see THORN and Rakghoul stuff in Legacy. But I guess those are things that simply cannot be "switched on" without patch. I do hope it will start this weekend, as the suspense is killing me Edited by Aries_cz

I think this approach is great, but it would be better if we did not see THORN and Rakghoul stuff in Legacy. But I guess those are things that simply cannot be "switched on" without patch. I do hope it will start this weekend, as the suspense is killing me

Can they start the event without a patch? It was my impression that everything they did in the game (aside from CM) updates required them to bring down and restart the servers. Therefore I though that the event couldn't start earlier than the next patch day (Tuesday).

Teasing on Twitter and Facebook is one thing, but for previous events they have always released notifications on the website the day before. When that happens (i.e. some mysterious message appears about THORN and Rakghouls), we'll know that the launch is imminent.

Long as part of these tunnels is a free-for-all cluster #$%* zone I'll be OK.

Wait. No black/green color crystal on vendor (minus), no being able to use the dna I had saved from last event which BW had said to not throw away for when else would you use rakghoul dna 'currency' if not during the rakghoul event (minus).

Unsure which weighs more.

Some nifty blasters/sabers (plus). Positives might weigh a bit more.

[edit] heh just realised a day later, long as part of the tunnels IS NOT etc etc.

Edited by Fireswraith

Can they start the event without a patch? It was my impression that everything they did in the game (aside from CM) updates required them to bring down and restart the servers. Therefore I though that the event couldn't start earlier than the next patch day (Tuesday).

Teasing on Twitter and Facebook is one thing, but for previous events they have always released notifications on the website the day before. When that happens (i.e. some mysterious message appears about THORN and Rakghouls), we'll know that the launch is imminent.

If the assets are included in the game, it should be possible to do it without a patch. The first Rakghoul event was without patch, if I recall correctly. It just "happened" during weekend.

Just because you rushed thru the event in the first week, doesn't make it pointless.

But it's an mmo.

Having multiple things to do at any given time is kinda the point of the genre.

So the "oh we cant have that this week we have something else" is a bit humorous.

By data mined stuff the event clearly takes place on several different planets and it looks like its just alderaan this round. The outbreaks could easily be on a separate timetable than "normal" events.

Edited by aeterno