Corso's tanking in 1.2 - rocket jump instead of harpoon?!

NRieh

Ok, ladies and gentlebeings....

Possibly, that was just a trolling post. Also possibly it's not something we ever see live. Of just a bug. I REALLY hope for it, as it is NOT on patch list. But here's the thread on PTS.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=363799

He no longer uses a rope to pull NPCs to him, he uses a rocket to jump to them. Totally sucks if you depend on him to bring NPCs into range for you... also not mentioned in the patch notes.

Take away giggling(still unclear), nefr whatever. But breaking the BEST ever CC-friendly tanking feature?!

Not. Fun.

Edited by NRieh

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for mentioning it. I'm sure this thread will be closed and referenced there but the reference is good. Not good news, I wonder what the rationale might be? Hoping for bug, I don't think that needs change even though I don't use the harpoon personally.

as a gunslinger i benched corso right away for bowdaar cause his only gap closer was harpoon which was totally useless (since i killed harpoon guy before he can use flameguard). With this he actually can use flameguard and emp without standing back like a total tool

/facepalm.

Admittely I don't use Corso much lately on my scoundrel but if I want a tank that goes TO the target I'll get out Bowdaar. Corso was nice for crowd control because he'd pull a target to me away from the one I'd hit with tranquilizer. Corso also nicely pulls the target to him and typically into a perfect position so I can backblast them.

As the OP stated, Corso is the CC-friendly tank. Bowdaar is a good tank but short on subtlety.

If I wanted to use Corso as a AOE melee tank all I'd have to do is turn off his harpoon ability but if I wanted a melee range tank I already have Bowdaar. It makes no sense to make both companion tanks the same.

Troopers have a 2 tank companions also. One is a ranged tank with a harpoon ability(tow cable) and the other is a melee tank with no harpoon ability. Why remove the capability but only from the smuggler class who can really make use of it.

I really hope they do NOT implement this.

Edited by Quilland

Forgive me my caps, but

CONFIRMED AS "WORKING AS INTENDED".

Heading for Team Corso© to bring more firepower to initial PTS thread, but I'm not really hoping they're going to change their mind.

Here's "golden" quote.

Thanks guys - looks like this missed the patch notes. Game Update 1.2 has a huge number of changes and sometimes smaller stuff can get omitted by accident in the patch note process.

I can confirm that this is an intended change. We will get the notes updated as soon as we can.

Thanks!

- Cameron

Hmm maybe it'd been better if it were harpoon for scoundrel and rocketjump for gunslinger. I always hated having the mob closer, and I always turned his harpoon off.

So its better for me. Guess not so much for the others.

Corso sans harpoon means Lightspring becomes a bit trickier. I suspect this is part of the reasoning for the change. :p

Oh yes, briliant reasoning for changes! First nerf mission and bosses and then - nerf players, as it's way too easy for them. [/sarcasm off]

The only "reasoning" I see is that some players still do not know how skills autouse toggles on\off. As they keep QQing about mobs dragged behind their cover.

Hmm maybe it'd been better if it were harpoon for scoundrel and rocketjump for gunslinger. I always hated having the mob closer, and I always turned his harpoon off.

So its better for me. Guess not so much for the others.

Uhh no.

As a gunslinger who always uses Corso, I LOVE his harpoon. Yay for an extra interrupt.

What.

I'm sorry, but harpoon was the thing that made Corso. I found it really useful for peeling patrols away so they wouldn't blunder into fights.

Rocket jump makes him more like a bounty hunter, and with his 'flame guard' animation making him look like he's got a flamethrower it makes me sad.

And very angry.

I am extremely angry at this. I'm beyond angry at this. This is going to totally be a game breaker for me. I only play Scoundrel now (except for crafting alts) and I only use Corso. I rely on his harpoon for my playstyle.

If it is indeed gone by the time 1.2 goes live, I too will be gone.

This isn't an empty threat BW. I'm not going to derail this thread by going into all the other things, things I can learn to live with. This one is a deal breaker for me. I will not learn to live with this one. This will be the final straw that breaks the ole proverbial camel's back!!

To quote Corso: "I have had enough!"

:mad::mad::mad:

Edited by VarnieTsk

Uhh no.

As a gunslinger who always uses Corso, I LOVE his harpoon. Yay for an extra interrupt.

as a gunslinger i hated him bringing mobs towards me which i just kill in the air so he cant get flameguard off. I never used harpoon unless i needed to peel someone away. But i turned it off and micro managed him to use flameguard so he can get the armor buff up

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=363799 is where the feedback on the Public Test server is.

Go there and voice a protest (politely and in a reasonable tone of voice!) and explain why this stinks on ice.

Public TEST has to mean something, surely?

That thread is probably the place to mention that this is an unwanted un-happy-making change that should be repealed pronto.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=363799 is where the feedback on the Public Test server is.

Actually, this link is in my opening post, same as quotes from that thread, as that's where I got this "minor detail".

But I think it's good to repeat it sometimes, just in case someone will skip first page. It's totally true, that they MUST have our class feedback on this "minor intended change, missed in patchnotes". All of it.

I really hope this thing never gets out of PTS. But I also feel, that someone in BW may just follow simple logic "if you want to make someone happy - upset them hard, and then make them feel as they had it before". Smuglers will be that happy about having their tank untouched, so that most of common nerfs may pass either unnoticed or taken calm. Actually, I just can't imagine worse nerf for a solo gameplay.

Yeah that was my point, I just wanted to emphasize that it is probably better to comment in that other thread (the link to which you already provided, I just provided it anew since I agree that the change is nonsensical.)

Keeping in mind that the outcry that caused this change to Corso coming from many in the Gunslinger community is already being countered by many in the Scoundrel community who rely heavily on this ability for positional attacking while using crowd control.

Let's hope BioWare listens to both sides here and does the right thing.

Is giving Corso both the ability to pull and leap too much of a stretch?

Is giving Corso both the ability to pull and leap too much of a stretch?

And also a medscanner with a dual-blade lightsaber, just to make him even more versile, huh? :p

The main thing is - we already got another leaping tank (Bowdar) and another leaping dps, which is often used for dd\tanking purposes (Akaavi). I could somewhat understand it, if we had none, but Corso with harpoon. But we have two more options. Why would we need any changes?

Also - why smugglers and Corso, as other classes have "mirror" companions WITH pulling thing, like M1-4X for trooper (the one I'm aware of).

And also a medscanner with a dual-blade lightsaber, just to make him even more versile, huh? :p

The main thing is - we already got another leaping tank (Bowdar) and another leaping dps, which is often used for dd\tanking purposes (Akaavi). I could somewhat understand it, if we had none, but Corso with harpoon. But we have two more options. Why would we need any changes?

Also - why smugglers and Corso, as other classes have "mirror" companions WITH pulling thing, like M1-4X for trooper (the one I'm aware of).

I'm pretty sure the snipers counter of Corso which it Kayilo or something has both pull and Rocket leap. Dont hold me to that, its been a long time since i played my sniper

I am extremely angry at this. I'm beyond angry at this. This is going to totally be a game breaker for me. I only play Scoundrel now (except for crafting alts) and I only use Corso. I rely on his harpoon for my playstyle.

If it is indeed gone by the time 1.2 goes live, I too will be gone.

This isn't an empty threat BW. I'm not going to derail this thread by going into all the other things, things I can learn to live with. This one is a deal breaker for me. I will not learn to live with this one. This will be the final straw that breaks the ole proverbial camel's back!!

To quote Corso: "I have had enough!"

:mad::mad::mad:

I really hope you are joking. To leave the game over a buff to a companion is beyond idiotic. I'm sure BW wouldn't miss you.

I played with Corso on the PTS. His jetpack is amazing. It does fantastic damage, it gets him into the group instantly to tank, and his stance pulls the aggro. It's not a big deal at all.

I really hope you are joking. To leave the game over a buff to a companion is beyond idiotic. I'm sure BW wouldn't miss you.

I played with Corso on the PTS. His jetpack is amazing. It does fantastic damage, it gets him into the group instantly to tank, and his stance pulls the aggro. It's not a big deal at all.

No, I'm not joking. Not even a little bit.

This is all well and good for Gunslingers who want to keep their distance. I am a Scoundrel, I am specc'd & play mainly melee. I enjoy playing the way I'm currently playing. I rely on Corso pulling mobs to me selectively while I cc others, and the rest run to us. I don't have to run across the map to get to the ones he force leaped to.

I do NOT use Bowdaar BECAUSE of his force leap.

If I wanted to use force leap, I'd use Bowdaar. I already have one Bowdaar, i don't need two.

My Scoundrel is the only class I have any fun playing now. With the harpoon being a major part of it. I play with Corso BECAUSE of the harpoon. With his harpoon gone I am left with nothing I want to play and will therefore take my marbles and go somewhere else.

I don't call this a "buff to a companion," I call it completely removing one of the core abilities of my companion.

Edited by VarnieTsk

I really hope you are joking. To leave the game over a buff to a companion is beyond idiotic.

First, it's not "buff to a companion", it's a major gameplay change. It's pretty same as if Gus suddenly turned into jedi and switched to their gear and main stat.

Second. You know Corso is smuggler's romance option, and also much involved in convo right? Well, yes, I think it's a bad idea to change such companions in any way. Troopers are very likely survive same changes for their droid (if happened) less... personal and painful. Especially considering that troopers ARE ranged tank "origin" class, which means they got their own harpoon anyway, when they need one.

Beta-->live changes is kinda normal thing. They could've even intentionally change some things, just to make them differet and new to those who buy game and get rid of some spoilers. Live-->test--->live changes must be way more careful, imo. I'm feeling now like I've been used as a beta-tester, which (for whatever reason) was monthly charged for his job. Especially when guy in PTS thread told that it's kinda "bug fix", that they were going to remove all the harpoons from companions while beta, but they just did not have time. So - they are fixing it now, to make all ranged tanks follow same "jump in" style.

I won't say "I quit because of harpoon is gone". I'm ex-wow-restodruid, after all, you know it's hard just to invent something ugly that had never happened to my prefered class. But BW already try hard, lol. And I don't think 1.2 will be my reason for buying another month.

"More Story", probably, which was told to happen "this year", and which (I bet) is about xmas time.