Gear Matters - It rly does, bro, srsly.

Wimbleton

Left all my legacy stuff in my bank.

NP.

https://imgur.com/a/SLzQE

Stop whining about gear and play.

To understand the world we generalize, and when we generalize to describe the world we most often use ourselves as the main reference of which/who we describe said world. But with age, experience and education we, in most cases, learn that using our selves as a mold to describe the world most often gives a false description of said world.As we progress in our development we learn to adjust our image and thereby our description of the world. We learn that our experiences is only a tiny part that really just describes, that tiny part on which we resides.

Now this is the most common development of the mind and the way we perceive the world around us, well, as said, In most cases . . .

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To understand the world we generalize, and when we generalize to describe the world we most often use ourselves as the main reference of which/who we describe said world. But with age, experience and education we, in most cases, learn that using our selves as a mold to describe the world most often gives a false description of said world.As we progress in our development we learn to adjust our image and thereby our description of the world. We learn that our experiences is only a tiny part that really just describes, that tiny part on which we resides.

Now this is the most common development of the mind and the way we perceive the world around us, well, as said, In most cases . . .

There is no spoon!

Eh, I think what your really trying to say Ble is that gear doesn't make you a better player.

We all know gear matters, all gear does is amplify whatever you are able to do at your skill level, but it won't make a better player. Like for instance, suppose someone is an awesome marauder player, exceptionally good, but he only has 116k HP when he loads into a match. He can probably run circles around a player that has 128k hp but has horrible timing, spams all there dcds, and tries to face tank everything. In the end, gear didn't matter for the guy with 128k because he was simply outplayed.

However, imagine if the marauder had the same gear. Then it wouldn't even be close, he would tear that guy up. So in the end gear matters, but skill, knowing your rotations and handling pressure is what makes or breaks the deal in most arena matches. Also, play an OP class helps too. xD

This.

Gear isn't the end-all-be-all and very skilled players in 230s or 236s can make short work of unskilled players in 242s or 248s. That being said however it would be equally incorrect to claim that gear does not matter at all. Pit two players of more or less equal skill against one another in specs that match up relatively well, and the one with the better gear is going to have an advantage.

One rather obvious advantage is that the higher geared player will have a deeper health pool, and that isn't the only advantage. How can anyone honestly claim that isn't an edge?

If someone truly thinks gear does not matter at all they should create a new character in a spec that are they are already very familiar with and skilled at playing. As that person's gear gradually improves from 228s to 248s they will see their DPS or HPS numbers rise correspondingly. Since they are playing a spec they're already skilled with, experience isn't the factor, it's the gear upgrades.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

There is also a post on reddit now where a guy made a video about "gear doesnt matter". Funny is he played imp side ofc against a team of noob/rpers :D

what is this trend surfacing now about people wanting to prove that you dont need gear for PVP?? Its nonsence! Those are just lucky matches where people dont get serious oposition.

There is also a post on reddit now where a guy made a video about "gear doesnt matter". Funny is he played imp side ofc against a team of noob/rpers :D

what is this trend surfacing now about people wanting to prove that you dont need gear for PVP?? Its nonsence! Those are just lucky matches where people dont get serious oposition.

I did a response post a couple of pages ago on how we tend to perceive the world, I'm sure there's pvpers that are skilled enough and in an knowingly environment can put out numbers that are considered brilliant. BUT. the thing is that every average Joe does get better in an knowingly environment, AND those guy's that, hopefully not even using 3d party ToS violating hardware aka Macros, are very few. To compare and demand that every average Joe should put out the same as those few players are not only Silly but also plain ignorant. Anyone who's ever leveled through low- and midbies know that gear matters, and that purple is better than green, what happened now to pvp is that top teir pvp is a continuation of low- and midbie pvp, where in fact gear matters for thos who not belongs to the top 1%.

Edited by t-darko

I did a response post a couple of pages ago on how we tend to perceive the world, I'm sure there's pvpers that are skilled enough and in an knowingly environment can put out numbers that are considered brilliant. BUT. the thing is that every average Joe does get better in an knowingly environment, AND those guy's that, hopefully not even using 3d party ToS violating hardware aka Macros, are very few. To compare and demand that every average Joe should put out the same as those few players are not only Silly but also plain ignorant. Anyone who's ever leveled through low- and midbies know that gear matters, and that purple is better than green, what happened now to pvp is that top teir pvp is a continuation of low- and midbie pvp, where in fact gear matters for thos who not belongs to the top 1%.

Now the thread is finally getting somewhere.

Mr. SJW states that if my mommy had loved me more, I'd have more empathy for those that suck at PvP and would have thought more about their feelings before making this thread.

Well, jokes on you, I had two dads and they loved me a minimum of 2 times per week, again, without gear on.

Edited by Wimbleton

Anyone who's ever leveled through low- and midbies know that gear matters, and that purple is better than green, what happened now to pvp is that top teir pvp is a continuation of low- and midbie pvp, where in fact gear matters for thos who not belongs to the top 1%.

I remember the times when they raised level and i had my full Brutalizer gear and went into midbies. I was really ripping ppl apart in midbies due to that.

Anyway what I wanted to say I leveled a toon to 70 last week and did a little PVP while at it. It was A BLAST!! I mean I was king of the hill, one eyed man among the blind, it was simply incredible. Most matches I was immortal etc, I mean it was sooo fun to see so many noob players there. I take back everything I said about Icykill playing midbdies :)

But in those wzs u could clearly see how gear does not matter (i had the 208 initial blues from 65 token toon) but skill was very important.

Now the thread is finally getting somewhere.

Mr. SJW states that if my mommy had loved me more, I'd have more empathy for those that suck at PvP and would have thought more about their feelings before making this thread.

Well, jokes on you, I had two dads and they loved me a minimum of 2 times per week, again, without gear on.

Well looks like u got me there mate, on the other hand . . .

“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

-Mark Twain

Ohhh i remember that video. Because I made it in honor of this thread's op. So thank you op :)

<-------

Thats the video btw.

Well looks like u got me there mate, on the other hand . . .

“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

-Mark Twain

Ok, I'll stop arguing with you then, I wouldn't want onlookers to think ill of me on the interwebs.

Good stuff.

Gear doesnt matter, get it in your head people. Stop complainin, enjoy the game.

Wrong.

Gear does matter. A rather obvious area in which gear provides an advantage is giving you a deeper health pool. A deeper health pool means more up time damaging or healing or guarding. It could also mean not being the focus in an arena. It's also not the only advantage that gear provides.

If two players of roughly equal skill get involved in a one-on-one fight the one with the better gear is going to have an advantage. The OP likely got away with it either because he was up against a greatly inferior team, always had company and was left to freecast, or had a pocket tank or healer or both. Gear isn't the end-all-and-be-all for PVP but to claim that it does not matter at all is simply ridiculous.

To anyone who doesn't think gear matters: Create a new PVP toon in a class you already know how to play very well. Record the damage or healing you dish out with each match after hitting level 70. You'll notice that with some exceptions, you generally dish out more damage or healing as your gear level progresses. Since this isn't a new class for you, obviously experience isn't the determining factor in your improvement. It's your gear.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco