Will useless stats be removed in 1.2

Carbonated

Sorry if this is been asked already the sticky doesnt have it.

But will 1.2 fix what currently plagues reverse engineering now, that things like sniper rifles getting shield rating for example be removed?

I seem to have a probelm with level 35+ gear the first purple schematic of it always seems to be shield rating.

It drives me nuts!

I also hate finding shotguns/vibroknives with Aim on them.

Those are 2 different issues that you are describing.

1. RE producing any combination is working as the developers have intended. So a "fix" is not likely.

2. Some items having wrong itemizations. This can be considered a bug, but I haven't heard anything about a fix in the works yet. Might come as part of the 1.2 patch.

1. RE producing any combination is working as the developers have intended. So a "fix" is not likely.

Intentions can change.

Given the general ill feeling this nonsense creates, I wouldn't be surprised if the "drop tables" for RE get a going-over at some point.

If a sniper rifle with shield rating and defence is correct then GG.

which class or companion uses tanking stats on a sniper rifle?

It is simply coded to allow all variations of Critical/Power/Defense+secondary stats. Changing it to only allow sensible combinations would mean a HUGE amount of work, because every craftable item will need to be checked for combo's which do and which don't make sense. I highly doubt the developers will have time for that.

How about, don't reverse engineer Redoubt sniper rifles? Focus your RE endeavors on Critical or Overkill (depending if you prefer Crit or Power as your first secondary stat). Shield may still appear in the second tier, however, and that's just unavoidable. Reverse Engineering does not take into account the type of item in question, it only follows an algorithm that applies to all items.

I would be in favor of removing Presence from all gear, however, and in turn removing it as a RE outcome. (Invariably, the first purple I always tend to learn has presence - complete waste of time.)

Also, the orange gear becomming critable does not change anything about reverse engineering. It simply allows the opportunity for orange craftables to be produced with augment slots.

Edited by Natarii

It is simply coded to allow all variations of Critical/Power/Defense+secondary stats. Changing it to only allow sensible combinations would mean a HUGE amount of work, because every craftable item will need to be checked for combo's which do and which don't make sense. I highly doubt the developers will have time for that.

Rubbish. The common code could be conditional on the main stat or type of the item. No Cunning class needs Tanking stats. No shotgun or vibroknife needs Aim or Cunning stats. No Assault Cannon needs Cunning. No Medium armour needs tanking stats. No Willpower-based single sabre needs tanking stats. Those are some of the obvious ones, and there aren't many subtleties. It shouldn't take an hour for someone to come up with the list, then at most a developer-intern-day to pop the conditional checks on the half-dozen logic trees that would need modifying. It's straightforward logic and that day of devtime should cover the QA as well.

And while they're doing that, they could either suppress the "you already know that" message when you RE for a duplicate schematic, or have the output decision tree not include known schematics.

Unless they've written the whole frimpin' thing in some sort of spaghetti code or made some appalling architecture choices.

How about, don't reverse engineer Redoubt sniper rifles? Focus your RE endeavors on Critical or Overkill (depending if you prefer Crit or Power as your first secondary stat). Shield may still appear in the second tier, however, and that's just unavoidable. Reverse Engineering does not take into account the type of item in question, it only follows an algorithm that applies to all items.

I would be in favor of removing Presence from all gear, however, and in turn removing it as a RE outcome. (Invariably, the first purple I always tend to learn has presence - complete waste of time.)

Also, the orange gear becomming critable does not change anything about reverse engineering. It simply allows the opportunity for orange craftables to be produced with augment slots.

Hmm I must have failed to explain again. In patch 1.2 stuff is being added etc. You know like the ability to crit orange, new patterns etc.

The question is "Have they said anything about useless stats on items being removed?" The example I provided was "Shield rating on Sniper rifles".

-I do not Bother crafting Redoubt blues unless i'm making something for a tank.

- Presence is actually useful while leveling if you use your companions.

- I know orange gear being crittable doesnt change anything, I only mentioned it because this is one of the changes apparently coming up, which could be when they decide to not put shield rating on Sniper Rifles.

I got two drops last night:

A blue blaster rifle that looked awesome as it had shield and defence on it - with cunning.

And a green assualt cannon with shield, defence and cunning.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Edited by Tatumsa

I wouldn't go as far as to say 'HUGE' in the amount of work. The database programmers would just need to create an extra table or so and link them with foreign keys (or what ever the specific DB calls it) to the item creation tables and set basic IF/THEN/WHILE type statements. Probably a days worth of planning and another hour or two of coding. Most of the item creation takes place in the DB.

Then again these 'odd' stats are likely there just to create 'junk items' in which you vendor for extra cash. The items sell for more than what the mob would drop in credits so your better off at times getting a green POS item than a fraction of the credits.

Anyway, everyone benefits in some way from all the stats if they could use the specific item (ie: sith dont use guns so tech bonus doesnt help, but doesnt rocket punch gain benefit from str dmg bonus? (albeit not as much but some)).

Use your imagination and try to climb outside the box once in awhile. The broader view is much more pleasant than the squinted eye.

Redoubt is useful to nearly everyclass or at least can be. It provides defense boost and everyone could use some extra dodge. As for shield rating and absorption that I will agree is wasted on classes that cannot use shield generators but there are companions as stated that possibly can. Lieutenant Pierce comes to mind but he personally doesnt use sniper rifles (blaster rifle is his preference). Redoubt is primarily defense rating with shield absorption or shield rating appearing sporadically (and only in the rarest chances all 3 together but usually when the base item originally had shield rating and absorption and no defense (which is added upon RE and gaining a redoubt prefix)).

Edited by ryuoki

I managed to get a Veracity Techblade as my first Tier 2, but it took ages and cost a fortune to get - and already had 3 guildies after it lol. I'm currently trying to get a Veracity Blaster Rifle for my Corso, although I do have a Leadership one I got from a crit blaster rifle, but now spending another fortune REing Redoubt rifles.

I wish they would hurry up and fix REing armour so we can get mats from that, as I get way more armour greens than weapons.

The problem with "useless" stats is they arent. Yes I will openly admit that some combos are usless to player toons. However they are not useless to some compaions.

True, There are combinations not usefull for any player toons, but the companions could use it with much success....

Rubbish. The common code could be conditional on the main stat or type of the item. No Cunning class needs Tanking stats. No shotgun or vibroknife needs Aim or Cunning stats. No Assault Cannon needs Cunning. No Medium armour needs tanking stats. No Willpower-based single sabre needs tanking stats. Those are some of the obvious ones, and there aren't many subtleties.

Well you are wrong on at least one count there: The Knight companion, Doc, uses a scattergun (shotgun) and uses cunning as his primary stat. As stated by others above, there are stat combinations that companions use that are not used by players.

Another good example is Aim gear with defense & shielding. Fess and Vik only for republic. But it sells very, very well.

Um, I think you missed Vanguard completely, and Corso/Bowdar for smugglers, possibly more.

Well you are wrong on at least one count there: The Knight companion, Doc, uses a scattergun (shotgun) and uses cunning as his primary stat. As stated by others above, there are stat combinations that companions use that are not used by players.

I'd assume the "no shotgun or vibriknife needs aim or cunning" was a mistype. Pretty sure both scoundrels (shotgun) and agents (vibroknife) use cunning as main stat. And those are both player classes.

Rubbish. The common code could be conditional on the main stat or type of the item. No Cunning class needs Tanking stats. No shotgun or vibroknife needs Aim or Cunning stats.

My IA would be in deep doo-doo if Vibroknives no longer had Cunning. Pretty sure Scoundrels would be pretty put out if their shotties stop having Cunning too.

As for Aim for melee, such as some companions, I still say it's a bug, and report it daily as such. They didn't want multiple of ranged tanks per class, so low and behold they hose an entire line of companions because they couldn't recode Aim to Strength.

... but that's another topic.

Um, I think you missed Vanguard completely, and Corso/Bowdar for smugglers, possibly more.

Yes. Vanguards do use shields, but I was not aware that they actually perform a tanking role outside of soloing. The ranged tank thing is weird.

Corso Riggs is also technically a ranged tank but I seriously doubt many folks use him with Bowdaar available, who uses Strength btw.

Also, the only people who ever buy my purple +Aim tanking gear are sages. Just sayin'.