Terror From Beyond 8M HC - The Writhing Horror, is it bug? If not any idea?

Hi!

So, our problem, when we start the fight, everything goes fine, until the first teleport of the boss. Then a little add spawns in 20-30s before the red pool shows up and Jealus Male arrives. Our tank who have the aggro on the Boss get killed instantly by a skill named Nasty Bite. What we can do against this? This happens about every 1 of 2 times when we are here. It does this so frequently that we think this is something that we don't know about the tactics, so could someone help us?

Thank you very much!

Oszvald

-EDIT: Found the problem, our tank was a noob and he couldn't hold aggro on start :D so one of the DPS got the incub debuff, and the tank got the +damage income debuff.

Edited by OszVaLD

B]-EDIT: [/b] Found the problem, our tank was a noob and he couldn't hold aggro on start :D so one of the DPS got the incub debuff, and the tank got the +damage income debuff.

This is correct. It is vital that the tanks hold agro on this boss. A single, brief agro drop can result in a full wipe. Guard your two highest burst DPS (regardless of melee or ranged) and chain taunt if you have to. Make sure that your highest-threat tank is the first one to take the boss (a shadow/assassin is usually safe, but a vanguard/powertech is a good choice as well). Also make sure that your tanks are using a front-loaded variant of their high-threat rotation in the opening 10-15 seconds.

If you do all of these things and you're still having trouble with the DPS pulling, then you need to work with your tanks a bit to either a) improve their gear, or b) improve their skill (more likely the latter). The tanking subforum here is quite active, so if you would like specific advice for any of the tank types, feel free to post there.

Just to be clear, it is not the fault of the DPS when they pull. It's also not a sign that they're particularly awesome, since a pull happens at burst points, not due to average total DPS, but that is beside the point. One of the most important jobs of a tank is to put out enough threat to stay ahead of the DPS, regardless of their output or what crits they happen to hit. And when they lose agro, it's on the tank to snap the boss back INSTANTLY (<200ms delay) with a taunt. If they can't do that, it's the tank's fault and they need to improve. DPS should help where they can with their agro dump, but really they should be largely just allowed to do their job without interference. Damage Dealing is a fairly demanding role in TOR (if you're playing at a high level), and we don't want to make it any harder than it needs to be.

Edited by KeyboardNinja

I open this one on a Guardian tank and I find it useful to open with a Strength stim (change to Endurance when I get back on the boss), pop a Power Adrenal and chain taunt this boss. I also use my maximum burst threat rotation. I usually Guard our Commando. They seem to be the class that pulls from me the most. Our DPS also pop their threat reducers right before going into a burst and hold off on the adrenals/relics until after the first move.

As KN said, it's best to have your highest threat tank open this one.

Due to Guardian Tank being inherently weak in holding good aggro especially at start this can be a problem. What seems to work for me is after taunting and landing all my hight threat abilities (go through my first rotation) it is prudent to use the 2nd taunt (aoe one, usually) which should be able to keep all threat --- For safety once the boss burrows and appears at his 2nd loc at start you can taunt him again --- your taunt cooldown will be ready by the time Jealous male shows up if you do it at start. With this, there really shouldn't be aggro steal issues. Still, it would be wrong to say that DPS has no role at all in this, DPS players in this group should be running parser and if they are getting too close to Tank's threat should be using their dumps accordingly.