PvP design

Mrpooba

Obviously this comes off negative, but this is a sincere question:

How, after over 3 (known) years of game development time, can pvp in this game be so bad?

A whopping 3 warzones, 1-50 brackets, and zero incentive to world pvp. We have instant que, but no choice in what game we play, and no cross-server pvp(and that's fine, I like fighting people in my community, but I find very few people on my server that feel the need to communicate in pvp, which is terrible).

The CC is ridiculous (no diminishing returns + 4 SIs = bye, you lose (and I'm not even complaining about imbalance here, it's just dumb that there can be perpetual stunlock)), the warzones themselves aren't exactly that fun (I considered huttball cool until I played it 3 times in a row), and the majority of people in said warzones just try to kill each other instead of focusing on the objective.

I understood that this game was going to be more PVE oriented going in, but how can it be (in my opinion at least) worse than, say, a certain game that came out 7 years ago at it's own release?

What happened, Gabe?

Agree on the 1-50 bracket BW really did even worst then I could ever imagine.

Any competent PvP designer know that **** cant work and still they did -_-

Well you either need cross-brackets or you need cross-realm, at least until there's a lot of 50s. Maybe they'll add brackets a couple months in once there's enough 50s to keep same realm, same bracket pvp.

**And even once there's a "50" bracket I don't think every 10 levels needs its own bracket, maybe 10-30 and 30-49.

Edited by Jooji

Obviously this comes off negative, but this is a sincere question:

How, after over 3 (known) years of game development time, can pvp in this game be so bad?

A whopping 3 warzones, 1-50 brackets, and zero incentive to world pvp. We have instant que, but no choice in what game we play, and no cross-server pvp(and that's fine, I like fighting people in my community, but I find very few people on my server that feel the need to communicate in pvp, which is terrible).

The CC is ridiculous (no diminishing returns + 4 SIs = bye, you lose (and I'm not even complaining about imbalance here, it's just dumb that there can be perpetual stunlock)), the warzones themselves aren't exactly that fun (I considered huttball cool until I played it 3 times in a row), and the majority of people in said warzones just try to kill each other instead of focusing on the objective.

I understood that this game was going to be more PVE oriented going in, but how can it be (in my opinion at least) worse than, say, a certain game that came out 7 years ago at it's own release?

What happened, Gabe?

This "certain game" didn't even have battlegrounds until much later. When BGs did get implemented, it was only a few maps.

It does work. But you can't see past the QQ goggles.

I mean, when I came in at level 16 fighting other teens and 20s, it wasn't bad, but now I'm queing in at a much higher level, and playing with 12s still, who don't have half their moves.

That's just bad..

Gabe Amatangelo, please respond and hammer me down because I'm ignorant and don't know what I'm talking about. Please inform me that I'm wrong, and address the already-established plans for the near-future you have that will make PvP at least decent.

That would be pretty cool; I'd fly to Austin and give you a high-five

(but you gotta pay for the ticket)

The brackets like they are now make sence for a new mmo.

You basicly dont have alot of lvl 50 players yet and the system they use which is almost the same as in Warhammer to boost your stats really help lower lvl players.

Cross-server BG that you are revering to like in WoW made BG in that game more boring then it ever was.

You didnt build up any form of social contacts on your own server like you did during the proper BG's on your own server.

The CC might be a bit to much yes only thats a balancing issue which can be changed by future patches.

Every new game has balancement issues.

Bit like WoW had a nice balance issue at the start of TBC where they made warriors completely useless for tanking.

And still TBC is the best expansion they ever released.

Untill now you can also use CC yourself on for example the DPS, or boost up the survivability on the target thats being killed.

I know this wont happen much in random warzones only thats a problem by the players not the game mechanics.

"but how can it be (in my opinion at least) worse than, say, a certain game that came out 7 years ago at it's own release? "

Funny how you are revering to wow here.

7 years ago WoW had close to no pve content.

WoW didnt have a single BG untill patch 1.5

The only way to get honor back then was through world pvp.

And lets not forget how awesome balanced the classes were at the start of WoW.

sarcasm intended.

roflmao.

Anyone with a brain knows that a lv 50 has a clear advantage against any lower level.

1-The stats boost they give to lower level is no way near what a lv 50 have.

2-The lower level dont have the same amount of talents and skills from there class, wich results in less dps and/ or healing, mitigation etc etc...

Uh no... it really doesn't work. Level 50s get 14k health with all abilities. Level 20s get about 12k with crap abilities. Unless the 50s suck, the level 20 will get steamrolled.

Edited by Idunhavaname

TBH, I don't think you should even be able to queue for a warzone until 20. Until 20, you really don't have enough of the abilities needed to PvP. For brackets, it SHOULD look something like 20-35 and 36-49, and a level 50 bracket, and boom, more balanced PvP. Most of the problems are now gone, and we don't get teams of 4 level 11s and 12s and 4 others 20+ getting steamrolled by a team of all 18+s. It's really the biggest gripe with PvP I have.

Let this be a public service announcement: Don't queue until you are level 20, or you're hurting the rest of us.

Edit, and OT: *** is up with Alderaan's loading time? The other planets weren't that bad, but jesus, Alderaan takes, like, 15 minutes. It's why I'm on the forums instead of playing right now, that loading time is just effed up.....

Edited by knarral

roflmao.

Anyone with a brain knows that a lv 50 has a clear advantage against any lower level.

2-The lower level dont have the same amount of talents and skills from there class, wich results in less dps and/ or healing, mitigation etc etc...

They never said it would be 100% even. In fact, they've said that their design intent was to get it closer to 80% even. So yes, 50s have a clear advantage, working as intended. The system also tries to match 50s vs 50s, but it isn't going to wait forever if it can't get a full match.

Don't forget no incentives to heal. After 75k healing, it becomes entirely pointless to heal other players since they will reap much more rewards/medals than you. It is worse enough MvP votes typically go to the one player with the most medals. Edited by AltusImperator

Don't forget no incentives to heal. After 75k healing, it becomes entirely pointless to heal other players since they will reap much more rewards/medals than you. It is worse enough MvP votes typically go to the one player with the most medals.

Really? I understood the last one (which frustrates me, I usually have highest damage done, highest kills, highest objective points, but that OTHER guy healed just a little bit or went around and 1v1'd people, causing him to get the points when I did more work... Frustrating....), but I never thought that after 75k healers wouldn't be rewarded for healing....

It's all thanks to the Mythic designers.

Mythic - Runing games since Warhammer Online.

Honestly, I wish BW whould just get rid of that clueless department and hire people who, at least, have a notion of balance or you know what, **** it, only thing they'd need to fix the satate of PVP is common sense.

Really? I understood the last one (which frustrates me, I usually have highest damage done, highest kills, highest objective points, but that OTHER guy healed just a little bit or went around and 1v1'd people, causing him to get the points when I did more work... Frustrating....), but I never thought that after 75k healers wouldn't be rewarded for healing....

You see healers get 3 medals: 2.5k heal, 75k healing done, and 300k healing done. Below level 30, which is what I see most people are at in WZs at my server, 300k is unattainable. Yet even with 300k healing, the player can stop healing and focus on obtaining other medals since he is not rewarded for any more heals. My point is the incentive system is flawed and can be fixed by either adding more medals or simply counting kills for healers.

All I am asking for is balanced rewards for each role.

Edited by AltusImperator

They never said it would be 100% even. In fact, they've said that their design intent was to get it closer to 80% even. So yes, 50s have a clear advantage, working as intended. The system also tries to match 50s vs 50s, but it isn't going to wait forever if it can't get a full match.

If BW says its working as intended, it doesnt mean its any good!!

We are the players, we are the paying customers, we want a game that is fair for everyone, end of story!

Im not gonna say more **** about this game's PvP, but it needs lots of work. I could go play any other game if I wanted and give my 15$ to someone else and I will if things havent change in 4-5 months, but for now im gonna wait and watch.

You see healers get 3 medals: 2.5k heal, 75k healing done, and 300k healing done. Below level 30, which is what I see most people are at in WZs at my server, 300k is unattainable. Yet even with 300k healing, the player can stop healing and focus on obtaining other medals since he is not rewarded for any more heals. My point is the incentive system is flawed and can be fixed by either adding more medals or simply counting kills for healers.

All I am asking for is balanced rewards for each role.

Y'know, I also want a few medals to be removed... such as "Paladin" and "guardian," if for no other reason than it means they got a medal for AFKing at a gun on alderaan and it put them at the top of the scoreboard.

roflmao.

Anyone with a brain would realize that every single WZ is a team based objective, so a level 20 has no business going 1v1 with a level 50. So, sorry, your point has no merit. Lower levels aren't excluded from acquiring said missing abilities, they just have to earn just like the level 50s did.

What your QQing boils down to is "Boo hoo! This is too hard!".

Uh no... it really doesn't work. Level 50s get 14k health with all abilities. Level 20s get about 12k with crap abilities. Unless the 50s suck, the level 20 will get steamrolled.

Ok, fine. Let's bracket it.

Oh wait, now level 49s aren't fair. Let's bracket it again.

Oh wait, now level 49s are STILL not fair and level 29s are no longer fair. Let's bracket it again.

Oh wait, now "CLASS X" is overpowered at level "X". Let's rebalance the game.

Oh wait, now "CLASS Z" is overpowered at level "X", while "CLASS X" is severely gimped at level "Z".

Oh wait, now there's no point to PVPing, since the entire essence has been destroyed and this game has turned into the exact same mess WoW has become.

Congrats, you broke a game.

As Iv said before, there is only need for few brackets.

A

1-49

_______

B

1-29

30-49

________

C

1-39

40-49

I am mostly in favour of A and B, but the bottom line is, level 50s need their own bracket.

See my previous post again. If you don't think that's going to happen, you're kidding yourself. It's happened over and over and over again.

The bottom line is, bracketing does the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of what you and many other seem to think it would do.