Dungeon Finder Needed Badly.

Obi-Wun

What this game really needs at this point...is a Dungeon Finder. It was a huge success in other MMO's, no reason for it not to be in this game.

Pros:

1. Can continue questing while waiting for group to form.

2. Prevents trolls from sitting there ruining General Chat while they are bored trying to fill a group.

3. Proves that BioWare can do something like this. Buys street creds.

Cons:

1. Some people think it ruins the community...but I think they are wrong. They obviously have not sat for an hour trying to fill a Flashpoint group.

2. People who think like that are probably in a huge guild and have no trouble filling groups. We're usually filling 2-3 of 4 and just need that last role.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What this game really needs at this point...is a Dungeon Finder. It was a huge success in other MMO's, no reason for it not to be in this game.

Pros:

2. Prevents trolls from sitting there ruining General Chat while they are bored trying to fill a group.

You can already do all of that by flagging yourself as LFG and then changing your comment, specifying which flashpoint you want. Also, speaking in General chat on the planet you are leveling on has been a great way for me to find groups for a flashpoint at the level I was at.

What you really want, I think, is something that will automatically put you in a group. I don't feel we need it, and I don't ever want to see it. If it's too much effort for someone to join a group and not have it done for you, they shouldn't even be playing a game. Try Facebook or some browser game for that.

If it's too much effort for someone to join a group and not have it done for you, they shouldn't even be playing a game. Try Facebook or some browser game for that.

You can also try every modern MMO made since 2004. They all have dungeon finders.

Edited by carnac_fett

Pros:

Cons:

1. Some people think it ruins the community...but I think they are wrong. They obviously have not sat for an hour trying to fill a Flashpoint group.

2. People who think like that are probably in a huge guild and have no trouble filling groups. We're usually filling 2-3 of 4 and just need that last role.

In regards to your Pros....

1. You can do that right now, unless you can't move and type.

2. Really... this is the lamest thing I read, trolls will be trolls no matter what.

3. All it'll prove is Bioware caters to the lowest common denominator in the MMO hierarchy, the whining casual, and that won't do them any good.

3. All it'll prove is Bioware caters to the lowest common denominator in the MMO hierarchy, the whining casual, and that won't do them any good.

It is strange that you call casuals "whining casuals", but regardless, making the game more accessible for the non-hardcore will get them more subscribers. Which is a good thing!

I don't see what a dungeon finder has to do with the destruction of community. Can you elaborate on your strange comment?

When you can just click a button and enter a dungeon queue, you no longer need to socialize with your server.

This means the server slowly degrades into a bunch of people waiting in a queue, never joining guilds, never creating a proper community.

Guilds are the foundation of an MMO. Any function that makes success possible without a guild degrades the community.

The community grows when you have no choice but to socialize with people to get into raids/dungeons.

Copy paste from my own post in another thread:

The only major problem that exists currently is that the LFG Tool that is, in fact, present in SWTOR needs to be made more obvious. What LFG Tool, are you asking? I'm talking about the LFG functions in the Social Window. Here is how to properly use them:

Step 1) Open the Social Window.

Step 2) Click the box that flags you as LFG and set a note saying why you're LFG.

Step 3) Search for 'LFG' in the box at the top. This will present a list of everyone who is flagged as LFG, no matter where they are - in fleet, on a planet, or anywhere else.

Step 4) Whisper any who seem suitable as groupmates and ask them if they would like to group. If they say yes, invite them. Because you've done step 2, you may even receive whispers asking you if you want to group with them. Reply as you see fit.

Step 5) Periodically repeat steps 3 and 4 until your group is complete.

Note that this entire process can be done from anywhere, whilst doing anything, as long as you're not already in a group doing something else.

I have four republic chars on a standard populated server. And four empire chars on a light pop server. None are in guild and have never waited for more than twenty mintues to get a flashpoint going. Ps you can still quest while spamming general chat to look for group. You dont have to be standing still. I played wow and rift and at times waited an hour just to find a healer or tank. Having a lfg tool doesn't help this.

In regards to your Pros....

1. You can do that right now, unless you can't move and type.

2. Really... this is the lamest thing I read, trolls will be trolls no matter what.

I hope you know, but casuals make up majority of every MMO fanbase. Hard core players are just the most vocal.

It is strange that you call casuals "whining casuals", but regardless, making the game more accessible for the non-hardcore will get them more subscribers. Which is a good thing!

Notice I said Whining Casuals, not Casuals. I have no issue with people that can only play small amounts per day, I have a problem with people who can only play small amounts of time per day and cry, *****, moan and groan that something takes more then their alotted 7 minutes per day to do until it gets nerfed. Look at WoW and what the Whining Casuals did to it. Even the non-Whining Casuals don't like what has become of it.

Notice I said Whining Casuals, not Casuals. I have no issue with people that can only play small amounts per day, I have a problem with people who can only play small amounts of time per day and cry, *****, moan and groan that something takes more then their alotted 7 minutes per day to do until it gets nerfed. Look at WoW and what the Whining Casuals did to it. Even the non-Whining Casuals don't like what has become of it.

I like this.

Wow, I didn't know that there were only four MMOs made since 2004. Neat!

DCUO, there are more too. I think it would be easier to name games that don't have a lfg tool.

It's a game man, sometimes people just want to play. Besides here's a scenario:

General: Need Tank for X

Me: I'll go

/invite gohlar

What are we friends now? Have we forged a bond? lol no.

Edited by Gohlar

I don't see what a dungeon finder has to do with the destruction of community. Can you elaborate on your strange comment?

He, among others others, is under the delusion that a tool/queue to assemble people into a group somehow erodes a sense of community while shouting in general for two hours builds it.

In either scenario, no more than a few sentences are generally passed among group members.

Guess which scenario will eventually hemorrhage the most subscribers (AKA the community), though?

When you can just click a button and enter a dungeon queue, you no longer need to socialize with your server.

This means the server slowly degrades into a bunch of people waiting in a queue, never joining guilds, never creating a proper community.

Guilds are the foundation of an MMO. Any function that makes success possible without a guild degrades the community.

The community grows when you have no choice but to socialize with people to get into raids/dungeons.

I don't see how spamming in general chat builds the game's community but pressing a button to enter a queue for a dungeon destroys it.

There is no mystical voodoo that prevents people from socializing and building friendships in a dungeon-finder group.

Bad communities kill bad communities.

A lot of people use WoW as some sort of grand example that an LFD tool destroys a game.

WoW's community was awful LONG BEFORE the LFD tool came out.

Edited by carnac_fett

DCUO, there are more too. I think it would be easier to name games that don't have a lfg tool.

It's a game man, sometimes people just want to play. Besides here's a scenario:

General: Need Tank for X

Me: I'll go

/invite gohlar

What are we friends now? Have we forged a bond? lol no.

Exactly, this works! When people clamor for a grouping tool, they want to be automatically put into groups. It's the epitome of laziness, in my opinion. WoW only added a cross-server LFD because DPS players were complaining.

Exactly, this works! When people clamor for a grouping tool, they want to be automatically put into groups. It's the epitome of laziness, in my opinion. WoW only added a cross-server LFD because DPS players were complaining.

Lazy while playing a video game has always been an amusing argument imo.

Chat spam does work. It's just slow and tedious. If someone isn't staring at the chat, they can miss it. That's why we will be seeing a LFD tool here soon hopefully.

Edited by Gohlar