Heroic World Boss not so Heroic?

Who :Nemesis Rising Guild on Arkanian Legacy Server

Where: Coruscant & Taris (Republic)

What: SD-0 and Subject Alpha

So we had planned an activity for our Guild, we decided that a World Boss would be a nice target and we would start with the lowest level one on Coruscant to see how we would get on. We mustered a team of 12 (mainly lvl 20-25) with a main tank lvl 34

Before we get started with the flaming I KNOW THIS BOSS IS LVL 18 and I KNOW WE ARE ALL HIGHER LEVEL THAN THE BOSS. This post is not intended as a publicity stunt for our Guild or as bragging. I am just a little disappointed at the bosses as they stand and was wondering about your opinions.

The Boss in question is SD-0. He has 192k hitpoint or thereabouts. The main tank was nearly twice his level - a situation we all know means that he is nigh on invincible in most situations.

Up to this point we had never experienced a World Boss so didnt know what to expect - the Tank went in and got agg and THAT WAS IT. Now I was hoping for a bit more than a simple Tank & Spank - I had read about others taking him on in full raids with lvl 50 characters to tank so was a bit surprised to find that he couldnt really damage the tank at all. I thought this would be a bit more tactical, perhaps an introduction to raiding.

After we won a few of us travelled to Taris to try our luck on Subject Alpha Lvl 21 - he has about 340k Hitpoints? We were mucking about and having a laugh - we ended up naked and dancing. The fight started with an over enthusiastic Jedi leaping into the fray and getting beaten sensless :D. The tank pulled the Boss and then managed to tank him WHILST NAKED :eek:

The fight took an age with just 5 of us but we did kill him in the end.

My point? The bosses that I have faced are a bit easy. Shouldnt the damage they deal be scaled? Lvl 50 characters should find it just as difficult to fight a boss as a charater who is the correct level, surely this is possible in the programming? If not then any group that has a over level character should get lesser rewards than purple items - I KNOW THE ITEM REWARDS ARE FOR THE LEVEL OF THE BOSS AND NO USE TO HIGHER LEVEL CHARATERS. But atm it is too easy to farm the bosses for high level rewards not all of which are bind on pickup.

I dont want to make these bosses inaccessable to characters that should be fighting them but Heroic should mean more than has a lot of hitpoints. ?

For pictures head over to our website

World bosses are designed to be tacked at level...I'd be shocked if anything actually hit you.

Also subject alpha has an AOE Cloud, but it couldn't hit you guys so you probably didn't even notice it.

Edited by Battyone

So we had planned an activity for our Guild, we decided that a World Boss would be a nice target and we would start with the lowest level one on Coruscant to see how we would get on. We mustered a team of 12 (mainly lvl 20-25) with a main tank lvl 34

Before we get started with the flaming I KNOW THIS BOSS IS LVL 18 and I KNOW WE ARE ALL HIGHER LEVEL THAN THE BOSS. This post is not intended as a publicity stunt for our Guild or as bragging. I am just a little disappointed at the bosses as they stand and was wondering about your opinions.

The Boss in question is SD-0. He has 192k hitpoint or thereabouts. The main tank was nearly twice his level - a situation we all know means that he is nigh on invincible in most situations.

Up to this point we had never experienced a World Boss so didnt know what to expect - the Tank went in and got agg and THAT WAS IT. Now I was hoping for a bit more than a simple Tank & Spank - I had read about others taking him on in full raids with lvl 50 characters to tank so was a bit surprised to find that he couldnt really damage the tank at all. I thought this would be a bit more tactical, perhaps an introduction to raiding.

After we won a few of us travelled to Taris to try our luck on Subject Alpha Lvl 21 - he has about 340k Hitpoints? We were mucking about and having a laugh - we ended up naked and dancing. The fight started with an over enthusiastic Jedi leaping into the fray and getting beaten sensless :D. The tank pulled the Boss and then managed to tank him WHILST NAKED :eek:

My point? The bosses that I have faced are a bit easy. Shouldnt the damage they deal be scaled? Lvl 50 characters should find it just as difficult to fight a boss as a charater who is the correct level, surely this is possible in the programming? If not then any group that has a over level character should get lesser rewards than purple items - I KNOW THE ITEM REWARDS ARE FOR THE LEVEL OF THE BOSS AND NO USE TO HIGHER LEVEL CHARATERS. But atm it is too easy to farm the bosses for high level rewards not all of which are bind on pickup.

I dont want to make these bosses inaccessable to characters that should be fighting them but Heroic should mean more than has a lot of hitpoints. ?

A level 34 could solo both of these bosses at the same time. ( at least a class with healing ability)

The problem is that we resist pretty much everything if we have 5 level above them. I think it is a ridiculous mechanic and should not be in game, at least not vs bosses. Tanking a level 20 at level 30 should be easy enough without the resist, no need to make it virtually impossible to die. It would make soloing/duoing world boss and instance more fun.

Not being able to hit ennemy 5 level higher is fine (i guess) but making it virtually impossible for ennemy, especially bosses, to hit us when we are 5 level higher is stupid. Why would anyone want that easy?

At lvl 27 SD-0 Oneshot killed about 7 of us the last time I took him on. Its possible someone interupted him during your run. But I know atleast for me. Im a DPS and always stayed behind that behemoth and was unable to see it coming when he dropped his ability.

Guys are missing the point.

As I said I know that I am massively over level for it. But surely something as epic as a World Boss shouldn't work the same way as every other npc. I am aware of the abilities of each NPC but why should i be invincible to him? Make it so he can take me down - also he shouldnt just focus on one person.

If you fight the boss at the same level his damage really isnt that bad and if you figure out how to stop him one shotting you then its actually just a matter of time. I of course take on stuff at or above my level and have enjoyed much of the content.

But as a Guild we have many members of varying level. I want to be able to participate in events together as a community - big raid events like this boss should be scaleable (is that a word?) so that we could fight together.

Heroic should mean something.

Guys are missing the point.

As I said I know that I am massively over level for it. But surely something as epic as a World Boss shouldn't work the same way as every other npc. I am aware of the abilities of each NPC but why should i be invincible to him? Make it so he can take me down - also he shouldnt just focus on one person.

If you fight the boss at the same level his damage really isnt that bad and if you figure out how to stop him one shotting you then its actually just a matter of time. I of course take on stuff at or above my level and have enjoyed much of the content.

But as a Guild we have many members of varying level. I want to be able to participate in events together as a community - big raid events like this boss should be scaleable (is that a word?) so that we could fight together.

Heroic should mean something.

Your point is understandable but your missing how these world bosses work. "World Boss" would be inline with the "World" it's in. If you want to do guild activities, you'll have to set the bar and sadly some will be left out. You have a valid point on wanting the world bosses to scale but unfortunately it doesn't work like that. The "heroic" part is meant to be heroic of that level so choose a different planet to do a world boss. What would you do with a level 24 epic belt anyways other than give it to your level 24 guildie.

This thread is just completely stupid.

The world bosses are scaled to the level of the planet they are on and the kind of players they are expected to face.

Outleveling any NPC will yield increasing loss in difficulty because you naturally gain more resists, health and defence against enemies that are weaker than you. The same works for heroic 4 missions being entirely soloable by someone that sufficiently outlevels them.

That said, SD-0 is quite capable of one-shotting even a level 50 with his attacks. 2 50s can take him out but it takes an extremely long time. Try facing off against the other bosses and the difficulty will increase with new abilities and quirks being added.

If your looking for an uber diablo style boss the game dosent have one... several of those might be interesting but its far more likely to be a group phase instance style mission.

I.E Hardmode / NM flashpoints.

If your finding world bosses so easy, perhaps you should take the hint and do the those instead. If you want more of those with increased difficulty - Sure, why not.

Well then by that logic, the boss should scale to the size of the group as well. It's not as difficult/heroic if you have more people in your group, right?

Even if they managed to implement some sort of magical system that detects your group size and level automatically, there are still issues. You want players of varying levels to be able to down these bosses. So let's say you are going after the Coruscant world boss, with levels 14-50. The what level does the boss scale to? If you have a level 50 tank, he pretty much can't be hit unless the boss is level 45+. I you have a level 14 tank, he get's one-shot unless the boss is low level. So it either becomes trivial for some or impossible for others.

If your concern is with players being able to farm BoE purples from these low level world bosses, I would say who cares? The people that waste their money on low level purples that will get replaced by greens in a couple levels deserve to be parted with their credits anyway. It's the same people that complain about not having enough credits to purchase their speeder training at 25.

I'm not trying to come off as a jerk, because I understand your intentions. But the best solution is to just tackle the content as you reach it if you want it to feel heroic. Heck, even the "Heroic Missions" aren't challenging if you go back a couple levels later. It's the same with flashpoints. Everyone has to deal with the issue of guildmates not leveling at the same pace. It's going to happen.

None of the replies in this thread really understand the OP's issue. I think I can shed some light on it.

He's concerned that the world bosses don't have an exception to the mathematics that make characters pretty much invincible to all mobs more than 5 levels below. He's also concerned that the only purpose of those fights will be for 50s to grind them to twink their guildmates/alts with purple everything. Because of these two points, he suggests that the bosses should have different calculations on damage and such to make it harder for people to do this. He's *not* advocating making the boss magically go up in level, just make it so that the player can actually take damage to avoid solo grinding those bosses.

Now, there's a whole other argument that perhaps it's a huge waste of time for 50s to grind bosses and that crafting could do a much better job much more easily. If there're any unique orange items that are world boss only, perhaps they'll become cheap as 50s get bored and grind for them.