Chat Bubbles for rp??

BlloRain

I am happpy patch 1.2 is out, some great things, but I cant help but feel let down. I may be in a small % but I so hoped for Chat bubbles to Rp, I hoped we could have chairs we coudl sit in and RP. I hoped we could enter each others ships to RP.

Is it me or does Bio not care about any RP?

Jett

We can enter the ships of group members. And we can now match the colors of our clothing -- that's one for RP.

Then there's all that legacy stuff, where you are not restricted to a couple races because of the class you've chosen. (Your Sith Inquisitor can now be a cyborg...! Ouch!) And then there's that whole Legacy Tree thing that people have been so excited about... Let's see... There's also the new emotes ( /smuggler) that were given to us... I am sure there are more I am missing. Point is, chat bubbles and more sittable chairs would be nice, but let's be frank, Bioware has done more for the RP community in 4 months than most MMO developers would do in years.

Edited by Guildrum

People seem to forget a lot on the RP servers that those of us that do RP are a minority. BioWare has done things for us which people have already mentioned so be thankful for everything they give us. Besides I've heard nothing what so ever about chat bubbles being planned at any time and BioWare has said that all new chairs will be sittable but nothing about old chairs being converted so you really shouldn't have expected either with 1.2

Lines of text after the first from a single person are now indented by default. We don't have chat bubbles yet, but at least it's a bit easier to separate out speech and emotes from different people in a sea of chat scroll.

I watched the subject of chat bubbles come up in the live stream of the Guild Summit Meeting.

The devs were truly embarrassed and apologetic. They admitted that the chat bubbles were causing huge bugs in the game, and that they are having a hard time trying to find ways to fix the bugs.

It's not matter of priority in this instance, I think hey just bollixed up their coding pretty bad and are in over their heads on it. Seriously, if you watched the video, all the visual cues of shame and embarrassment are there. They put their hands on the back of their necks, they looked sheepish, one person slightly blushed, they traded glances, the shuffled feet, etc etc.

Sometimes, I get the impression these guys really did try to bite more than they could chew in making SWTOR.

Do I think they just wasted a huge amount of time on "balancing" classes when they should have done something else? Yeah, I agree with that. The combat in the game is not the focus of the game, they repeatedly said this game was a content story-based game, therefore the "imbalance" in PvP should have been put on a back-burner, not be their main priority.

I agree with the main point, they are shafting social and RP players with their attention, and they directly lied to us telling us it would be a social game, then ignored social and casual players in favor or the power-gamers (loyalty, anyone?) but in the case of the chat bubbles, that's not quite the issue here.

Admittedly, I haven't watched the guild summit video, but I think I read in one of the community Q&A that, while bubbles wouldn't be implemented in 1.2, they're definitely planned (maybe between 1.2 and 1.3 or 1.3 at most?). Let's hang in there :cool:

I watched the subject of chat bubbles come up in the live stream of the Guild Summit Meeting.

The devs were truly embarrassed and apologetic. They admitted that the chat bubbles were causing huge bugs in the game, and that they are having a hard time trying to find ways to fix the bugs.

It's not matter of priority in this instance, I think hey just bollixed up their coding pretty bad and are in over their heads on it. Seriously, if you watched the video, all the visual cues of shame and embarrassment are there. They put their hands on the back of their necks, they looked sheepish, one person slightly blushed, they traded glances, the shuffled feet, etc etc.

Sometimes, I get the impression these guys really did try to bite more than they could chew in making SWTOR.

Do I think they just wasted a huge amount of time on "balancing" classes when they should have done something else? Yeah, I agree with that. The combat in the game is not the focus of the game, they repeatedly said this game was a content story-based game, therefore the "imbalance" in PvP should have been put on a back-burner, not be their main priority.

I agree with the main point, they are shafting social and RP players with their attention, and they directly lied to us telling us it would be a social game, then ignored social and casual players in favor or the power-gamers (loyalty, anyone?) but in the case of the chat bubbles, that's not quite the issue here.

One of the few people on this forum that make sense. BioWare said from the get-go that if you were coming here for the PvP, you were going to be wearing a sad face before long. And this is from someone who loves PvP. I want less devs working out balance issues raised by preteens too stupid to play their classes right and more devs working on giving what they spent months hyping: immersive storylines and cinematics and an unbeatable roleplaying experience.

Unless I've completely missed something and I'm the only person in the entire game who gets to watch the company that made Dragon Age make his Jedi and Sith lightsabre blades hang in midair while the characters move around and through them, or watch Twi'lek lekku and robes flap around like Zevran's buttcheeks on a windy day, or has to sit through 5-30 second pauses whenever the subtitles translate Huttese or Trandoshan jibba-jabba.

C'mon, BioWare, you're better than this! I'm going through school for video game graphic design, and I'm seeing my college buddies outdo your hired help damn near every project we're given. Work harder!

Edited by Malles

It is sad. I worked for Epic games on Unreal 2004 as a concept artist, and molder. I also work for 3dbuzz.com They are making a MMO with only a hand full of people, coded by one of the best people in the 'Biz" He is only one person and he is putting Bio to shame.

When i found out it was a coding issue, why did they not fix this in R&D before moving a head? There is a lot to offer in the world of TOR. I do like the game, with this said.....RANGER ON! let move a head get more fixed. Get people in there that can solve this issue and the others.

I know this may sound silly but what about hoods for the with and their mask at the same time?

I was at TigerSwan school. It is a shooting school one of the best. They say and I agree, that there is no advanced shooting skills, only mastering the basics under pressure. Bio you hear that? Master your basics first.

Jett

People seem to forget a lot on the RP servers that those of us that do RP are a minority. BioWare has done things for us which people have already mentioned so be thankful for everything they give us. Besides I've heard nothing what so ever about chat bubbles being planned at any time and BioWare has said that all new chairs will be sittable but nothing about old chairs being converted so you really shouldn't have expected either with 1.2

Chat Bubbles are planned infact, they said it's one of the things they will put in after 1.2. They were in the Beta they said, but it caused many bugs and/or latency issues so they removed them for the time being.

They've said so in one of their Q&A

It is sad. I worked for Epic games on Unreal 2004 as a concept artist, and molder. I also work for 3dbuzz.com They are making a MMO with only a hand full of people, coded by one of the best people in the 'Biz" He is only one person and he is putting Bio to shame.

When i found out it was a coding issue, why did they not fix this in R&D before moving a head? There is a lot to offer in the world of TOR. I do like the game, with this said.....RANGER ON! let move a head get more fixed. Get people in there that can solve this issue and the others.

I know this may sound silly but what about hoods for the with and their mask at the same time?

I was at TigerSwan school. It is a shooting school one of the best. They say and I agree, that there is no advanced shooting skills, only mastering the basics under pressure. Bio you hear that? Master your basics first.

Jett

Hood/Mask options are now implemented.

Comparing shooting a gun to developing a multi-million dollar MMO is a bit of a stretch, but that's just my opinion. We have no way of checking your claim about 3buzz and their single-man coding guru. Maybe he's some sort of prodigy? Neo, perhaps?