Jedi Consular siding with the Empire

Admie

My Jedi Consular was always prideful and arrogant, but also a Republic patriot.

During the class story she was good and protective to her allies but brutal and merciless to her enemies.

As the story progressed she started getting tired of republic incompetence and started calling them out on it, while also more brutal to the enemies to make up of for what the Republic could not.

During the Revanites crisis thanks to Lana and Darth Marr she had a change of heart and started working towards coexistence.

When Zakul attack it was back to brutality towards enemies, letting Zakul people die, trying to kill Arcann instead of saving him and that kind of stuff. During the war when we need it the most the Empire helped us while the Republic cowered and just watched. On top of that Saresh tries to kill me, to me that is not the same Republic I fought for.

So I sided with the Empire, but still kind of feels bad for betraying your old allies, was it the right thing to do?

What do you guys think? If we ever get the choice to fight both sides for the Alliance in the next expansion I would probably go that route.

The question of whether it was the "right thing to do" depends on what context you mean by it.

Is it the right thing to do for your character? I think only you can decide if it makes sense for them.

Is it the morally right thing to do from an out of character perspective? I'd say no.

Is it the right thing to do from a fun perspective? I guess that depends on whether you enjoy playing undercover agents.

But if you're asking for my own personal interpretation of what would make sense for characters defecting, it depends on what your reasoning for joining the Empire is.

If you think the Empire more suits your character's ruthless moral compass, then sure.

If your choice between Empire and Republic is based strictly on the question of what they've done for you lately, then I guess the Empire would be the better choice because they did rebel against Vaylin.

Is your character's main concern that they see the Republic as incompetent, and that an expectation of competence was the root of your character's patriotism? That might make sense as a reason for your break your allegiance with people you once considered allies.

It would presumably mean that your character is at least somewhat less considered with things like loyalty or a belief in Republic ideals like freedom and democracy. Also if Saresh is a factor, they would need to take a former Republic chancellor trying to assassinate you more personally than all the other times the Empire tried to kill you in the earlier parts of the story.

Or perhaps it's something as simple as your consular recognizing the power of the Dark Side of the Force.

If you think that the Republic is now corrupt and therefore the Sith Empire is better for the galaxy, then I think it makes no sense because you are still ignoring the slavery, brutality, imperialism, and authoritarianism still inherent in the Sith Empire. If those things aren't a deal breaker for your character, then go right ahead.

Also racism is decreasing in the Empire, but it's still a ways off from what the Republic is like.

Of course, if you have a different interpretation for why your character behaves as they do, then just go with it.

Edited by OldVengeance

If your choice between Empire and Republic is based strictly on the question of what they've done for you lately, then I guess the Empire would be the better choice because they did rebel against Vaylin.

The way I'd put it is that the Alliance has a treaty with the Empire and not the Republic; as such, it'd seem to me like a betrayal to side with the Republic on Iokath either way (Ossus is a different situation).

The way I'd put it is that the Alliance has a treaty with the Empire and not the Republic; as such, it'd seem to me like a betrayal to side with the Republic on Iokath either way (Ossus is a different situation).

This was my impression too. LS/DS don't really come into it.

Mind you, if you're a Jedi then you're kind of screwed, because in this era the Jedi and Republic are essentially the same thing. You can't back the Empire and remain a Jedi, except as an exile.

I would disagree with that considering Acina actually broke the treaty when she sent Imperial troops to Iokath without informing you. Sure the Republic did the same thing but as you pointed out the Alliance had no treaty with the Republic just the Empire and still Acina did that and didn't think it was a big deal.

I would disagree with that considering Acina actually broke the treaty when she sent Imperial troops to Iokath without informing you. Sure the Republic did the same thing but as you pointed out the Alliance had no treaty with the Republic just the Empire and still Acina did that and didn't think it was a big deal.

True, but the Republic did it first, and it was an aggressive move against both the Empire and the Alliance.

From what I remember when Lana was going over that both sides arrived at the same time and they both were just as aggressive.

Pretty much this. :D

I see a lot of people that consider this choice, by thinking who helped them during KOTET, but in my opinion, you should make this choice based on which faction would your character want to rule the galaxy (since the Alliance isn't an option now). My advice to the OP is to consider which faction your character identifies the most with.

Edited by JJKerryee

Pretty much this. :D

I see a lot of people that consider this choice, by thinking who helped them during KOTET, but in my opinion, you should make this choice based on which faction would your character want to rule the galaxy (since the Alliance isn't an option now). My advice to the OP is to consider which faction your character identifies the most with.

However, you don't know that the Alliance isn't an option at the time of making the choice.

From what I remember when Lana was going over that both sides arrived at the same time and they both were just as aggressive.

Yep, this is what happened. The treaty with the Sith Empire in KOTET is optional but if you do take it Theron mentions how uneasy that Alliance, pun intended, might be in the post-credits cutscene of KOTET. In hindsight that was a set-up to the aggressiveness the Empire shows to the Alliance at Iokath even if the deal was taken.

I don't think it's ever the right moral choice to side with the Empire, no matter how useful they were compared to the Republic during KotET. However it can be the "right" (as in appropriate) choice for your character, as a way to express part of the complexity you're roleplaying. Our characters don't have to be perfect. They can become arrogant, impatient, frustrated, and make mistakes. Sometimes those mistakes will have lasting negative effects, yet they can make for a great story. Edited by Estelindis

I don't think it's ever the right moral choice to side with the Empire, no matter how useful they were compared to the Republic during KotET. However it can be the "right" (as in appropriate) choice for your character, as a way to express part of the complexity you're roleplaying. Our characters don't have to be perfect. They can become arrogant, impatient, frustrated, and make mistakes. Sometimes those mistakes will have lasting negative effects, yet they can make for a great story.

What if you don't think the Empire will win the war, but you don't want the Republic to win either because of its habit of attempted genocide?

Would be funny in a movie. Male jedi consular gets enough of the Republic, marries to Darth Acina, and become Sith Emperor. Well my character did not take such path, because on Ossuss he remained loyal to the Republic.

The primary problem with the Empire is their ideals, and the fact, that we know almost nothing about it. I mean Acina claims, that the Empire is changed, but how much we saw of it? Did she erased slavery? Reduced the extreme rights of Siths? The inside stirr didn't changed. We just wanted to talk about stuff on one day, and we get betrayed by some lowly minister.

What if you don't think the Empire will win the war, but you don't want the Republic to win either because of its habit of attempted genocide?

This is sort of the reason my DS Empress agent sided with the pubs on Ossus. She doesn't want either side to come out on top. She wants to do maximum damage to both sides so they'll be easier to knock down with the Alliance.

This is sort of the reason my DS Empress agent sided with the pubs on Ossus. She doesn't want either side to come out on top. She wants to do maximum damage to both sides so they'll be easier to knock down with the Alliance.

Would be great, if we could do that in later content. Having a 3 sided storyline. Siding with Empire, Republic, or against both. I mean in base game we got 8 storyline content. Later it's reduced to one. Would be nice, if it would expand to 2 or 3.

• 2 weeks later...
I dont think the Alliance is done for just yet. I'm looking at it more as a temporary choice while the Alliance recovers its strength. At this point you are basically the most powerful person in the universe, and I dont really see myself as a Jedi or Sith anymore. My characters main goal now is to force a coexistence between the Sitn and the Jedi, and that seems easier done with the Empire then with the Republic as you would have to deal with senate.

My characters main goal now is to force a coexistence between the Sitn and the Jedi, and that seems easier done with the Empire then with the Republic as you would have to deal with senate.

But wouldn't that require overcoming centuries of indoctrination within the Empire that teaches the Republic, and Jedi specifically, are intent on destroying your culture and civilization? It's mentioned by a few Imperial characters in the game that, as it's taught within the Empire, the Republic and Jedi are constantly persecuting, hunting, and trying to destroy the Empire. Which is likely, from a story perspective, used to justify the Empire's and Sith's repeated preemptive attacks on the Republic and Jedi.

But wouldn't that require overcoming centuries of indoctrination within the Empire that teaches the Republic, and Jedi specifically, are intent on destroying your culture and civilization? It's mentioned by a few Imperial characters in the game that, as it's taught within the Empire, the Republic and Jedi are constantly persecuting, hunting, and trying to destroy the Empire. Which is likely, from a story perspective, used to justify the Empire's and Sith's repeated preemptive attacks on the Republic and Jedi.

Also the Sith believe that power in the Force comes from rage and hatred, that the Jedi are weak and need to be destroyed, and that the strong are meant to dominate the all others.

How exactly is anyone going to force them to get along without one simply defeating the other?

Edited by OldVengeance

Also the Sith believe that power in the Force comes from rage and hatred, that the Jedi are weak and need to be destroyed, and that the strong are meant to dominate the all others.

How exactly is anyone going to force them to get along without one simply defeating the other?

At this point if you play a force user you are basically the strongest being in the universe. So you could use their own logic against them.

At this point if you play a force user you are basically the strongest being in the universe. So you could use their own logic against them.

I really don't think that's the case, certainly not to the extent that all Sith would fear to cross you like they did Vitiate.

Edited by OldVengeance