Duping Armor Sets & selling on the GTN

KarajansJamara

This seems to be getting worse lately. I can easily find at least a dozen characters who are selling pages and pages of armor sets and sometimes decorations.

Not multiple different ones, which is normal seller behaviour but up to 6 pages of the same one or multiple stacks of 20 decorations etc. They then list them all at prices much lower than the current selling value.

I understand that some people will say "so what" but to people who actually enjoy the trading part of the game it is ruining their enjoyment and screwing up the server economy at the same time.

And there's the part where this is against the games EULA and a ban-able offence.

I've reported them in the past but nothing happens, they just keep on doing it. Is it even worth reporting them anymore?

Are the game devs even bothered about it?

Edited by KarajansJamara

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What part of the EULA / TOS prohibits selling your in-game items on GTN for whatever price you choose?

Are you implying that people are coming by these item stashes unfairly? If so, the burden of proof is on you to show they're somehow hacking to create unbound duplicates.

Undercutting your prices isn't hurting the economy, the game, or anything other than your bottom line. Dumping a ton of merchandise on GTN on the cheap actually HELPS a ton of players get items they might not otherwise acquire.

What part of the EULA / TOS prohibits selling your in-game items on GTN for whatever price you choose?

Are you implying that people are coming by these item stashes unfairly? If so, the burden of proof is on you to show they're somehow hacking to create unbound duplicates.

Undercutting your prices isn't hurting the economy, the game, or anything other than your bottom line. Dumping a ton of merchandise on GTN on the cheap actually HELPS a ton of players get items they might not otherwise acquire.

I'm all for fair trading and undercutting etc. It's the duping part that I have issues with.

It's obvious to anyone who trades regularly when duping happens as something that usually only has about 6-12 listings suddenly appears with 6 pages of it at a ridiculously low price.

It's not up to me to work out how they are doing it, that's the devs job. I report it when it happens but nothing seems to be ever done about it.

They ban gold sellers for screwing with the games economy so why not ban players that dupe too?

Edited by KarajansJamara

The duping is the ban-able offence obviously.

I'm still confused. You're assuming that people who farm a ton of the same gear are somehow availing themselves of some sort of game mechanic exploit?

While you're not able to discuss exploits in these forums, if you suspect a genuine exploit, detail the exploit as you understand it to Eric Musco in a private message to him as well as write a ticket for it.

Otherwise, if you're just seeing on the GTN the results of people farming themselves to death for specific armors, that's not an exploit, and they can sell however much of that on the GTN as they choose.

I'm still confused. You're assuming that people who farm a ton of the same gear are somehow availing themselves of some sort of game mechanic exploit?

While you're not able to discuss exploits in these forums, if you suspect a genuine exploit, detail the exploit as you understand it to Eric Musco in a private message to him as well as write a ticket for it.

Otherwise, if you're just seeing on the GTN the results of people farming themselves to death for specific armors, that's not an exploit, and they can sell however much of that on the GTN as they choose.

I'm aware of those that actively play the game to trade etc but duping is something that occurs in every game and I know how to spot it after 20+years gaming and trading in many MMO's myself. The way they list, what they list and when they list are all telltale signs of duping.

I have written tickets, many times. That's the whole point of this post - they don't seem to care about it and it's still happening on the same characters and progressively becoming more frequent.

Thank you for your idea of writing a message though, that is a helpful suggestion indeed.

The only evidence of duping here seems to be that items are appearing on GTN in a quantity that the OP doesn't believe to be legitimate.

None of us have data on how many items exist or how many Cartel Market items are generated from day to day. The accusation is flimsy, at best.

The OP claims to be reporting people and nothing is done. Well, in that case, it's a closed case. The people in charge of dealing with such reports have either found no wrongdoing or they have been directed not to prioritize this particular issue. Either way, it's completely their discretion how to deal with it.

Want to keep competing? Lower your prices.

The only evidence of duping here seems to be that items are appearing on GTN in a quantity that the OP doesn't believe to be legitimate.

None of us have data on how many items exist or how many Cartel Market items are generated from day to day. The accusation is flimsy, at best.

The OP claims to be reporting people and nothing is done. Well, in that case, it's a closed case. The people in charge of dealing with such reports have either found no wrongdoing or they have been directed not to prioritize this particular issue. Either way, it's completely their discretion how to deal with it.

And the possibility exists that someone spent a lot of credits buying up everyone else's version of a given armor on the GTN and then repriced/bundled them to form their own little monopoly of that item.

Edited by xordevoreaux

And you are entitled to your opinion.

I know duping when I see it.

My ability to make money in game is not an issue and neither is it the driving force of my post.

And the possibility exists that someone spent a lot of credits buying up everyone else's version of a given armor on the GTN and then repriced/bundled them to form their own little monopoly of that item.

That happen's frequently but not at the volume the dupers list at.

Like I said initially - the volume of listings and the pricing indicates duping. It is not normal trading behaviour.

I'd like to point out that since you listed your credentials.

To the point, all because you have been doing it for x (x being as many years as you want it to be) amount of years, does not mean you are doing it right.

Doing what right? Learning how to spot a game exploitation?

Doing what right? Learning how to spot a game exploitation?

Rather than get bogged down in a back-and-forth discussion with people here on meaningless points of a meaningless argument, concentrate on getting that private message to Eric Musco (EricMusco is his handle).

Hey JimG,

As folks have stated in this thread the right thing to do is definitely to submit an in-game ticket (as you have done). It may take a bit before you get a response but that is the correct path! If you want, shoot me a PM with the ticket # and I can make sure the right eyes see it.

Thanks!

-eric

It was mentioned earlier, in the thread that if you reported it and it remained, most likely not an exploit.

So at this point it is a baseless accusation, with the only "proof" you have listed is that it seems fishy.

But please do continue on, I am going to get some popcorn.

Rather than get bogged down in a back-and-forth discussion with people here on meaningless points of a meaningless argument, concentrate on getting that private message to Eric Musco (EricMusco is his handle).

Thank you for your response and your help.

I admit I forgot how many trolls there are on forums these days but it's nice to see at least one person who can give a helpful and intelligent reply.

Buying up items expensively to create a monopoly, then selling pages of them at once cheaper than you could possibly have bought them would be the most stupid abuse of capitalism ever. And it does not explain why it is always several players at once. It doesn't happen for weeks, then, boom, many items at once.

Something is seriously off about that. No, it is not a smart way to make credits. it is just about the dumbest way to ensure you earn a minimum amount of credits, not only in those sales but for weeks to come. Is it a sign of something nefarious? no idea. But it sure is not normal, sensible behaviour.

I've spent years hoarding some cheap sets of armor. If I decide to free up cargo hold space by selling 20 sets of imperial away huttball armor....that's not duping, that's spring cleaning.

Well, actually, it isn't a cheap set of armor and it is not 20, it is more like 50 (of one set) each. And not one set of armour but about 10 of them, And they weren't cheap, they are pretty expensive sets (sets that sell for about 20million usually). And it happens every couple of weeks lately.

That would be the worst hoarding (why? why would anyone hoard 50 sets of the same armor) followed by the 7.5 billion credit loss spring sale. Once every couple of weeks. Hm, yeah, I don't think your explanation makes much sense.

Edited by Atantre_Chants

I still doubt it's duping.

More likely:

The same people spamming creds for cash on Fleet that create accounts with stolen credit card info are using that same info to purchase massive amounts of Cartel Coins. They fire sale the expensive items to get any amount of creds that they can sell on Fleet. They know the accounts MAY get hammered at any time, but they can recreate new ones with new stolen credit cards and reuse any character names that got nuked if they so desire.

That's a lot harder for the folks at EA / Bioware to control.

I'm aware of those that actively play the game to trade etc but duping is something that occurs in every game and I know how to spot it after 20+years gaming and trading in many MMO's myself. The way they list, what they list and when they list are all telltale signs of duping.

lol. ^

but to people who actually enjoy the trading part of the game it is ruining their enjoyment

I enjoy trading. Spesifically I enjoy trading when I get a good deal. A lower price is a better deal to me. I hope this stuff starts happening on Darth Malgus too, I wouldn't mind some cheap armour sets.

This seems to be getting worse lately. I can easily find at least a dozen characters who are selling pages and pages of armor sets and sometimes decorations.

Not multiple different ones, which is normal seller behaviour but up to 6 pages of the same one or multiple stacks of 20 decorations etc. They then list them all at prices much lower than the current selling value.

I understand that some people will say "so what" but to people who actually enjoy the trading part of the game it is ruining their enjoyment and screwing up the server economy at the same time.

And there's the part where this is against the games EULA and a ban-able offence.

I've reported them in the past but nothing happens, they just keep on doing it. Is it even worth reporting them anymore?

Are the game devs even bothered about it?

Can I ask what sort of items? Knowing what they are might help us understand how it’s duping.

Are they CM items?

Are they crafted items?

Are they dropped items?

Can I ask what sort of items? Knowing what they are might help us understand how it’s duping.

Are they CM items?

Are they crafted items?

Are they dropped items?

^ This is a very important question.

If they're crafted items, then I've gone from listing 5 or 6 at a time to putting up 20 or more when someone decides to buy up my reasonably priced crafted items and then relist them for a much higher price. I'll keep throwing them up at my price since it's all profit to me. For the tier 1 and 2 items I'm usually getting 3 to 4 times the cost of making them, and there is an infinite supply of them to feed to the relister.

I keep a supply of some crafted items in my legacy bay so I can list them with whatever character I'm playing that day, and don't have to bother logging into the actual crafter alt.

*note: I base my selling prices on the cost of running crew missions to get the mats, not the ridiculously high mat prices you find on the GTN.