"DPS" is for wow: "DD" = Damage Dealer for SW:TOR

GreySquall

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Been playing mmo's for about 8 years now and the first time i ever heard of DD was in rift ,was told it was an russian thing lol.

(played EvE ,Lotro ,Aion ,WoW ,War and Rift.)

All the games you are writing down there have come out after WoW, escept for EvE (if im not mistaking.).

What the point is that WoW has made the "dps" effect on all the games do to its size.

DD where used in the old games like EverQuest, Earth & Beyond etc. DPS where more or less intordused trough WoW and pased over to other games and is now being used as the "universal" word for "damage dealer".

A lot of words has been lost do to "modernization" of the language.

Remember the other day in Rift I said. "Hold back, I will do a LoS pull".

People whent: What? LoS? What is LoS?

I whent /faceslap.

excuse me sir but that is not correckt....

i have been playing mmos over 10 years - **** i got old - and damage dealing classes were always called DD

DPS gained popularity after parsers *damage meters* were used and therefor people started to ask for DPS... but if you look at EQ/EQ2/VG people still tend to ask for a DD instead of a DPS

Ehh...partially right.

EQ had combat logs and parsers, as such: DPS was used quite frequently as well. Post EQ definitely used it quite a bit.

As previously mentioned, DD stood for Direct Damage, AKA Nuke. So, both terms existed, and were used, in EQ...this was likely largely server dependent.

That being said: All I saw in EQ2 was DPS. As well as every MMO I touched after that, from LoTRO, WAR, and about a dozen others.

Actually, you are wrong. DD means "Damage Dealer".

As for DPS and DD.

WoW is the one who made "dps" famous. DD kinda drowned. A few other games before WoW did use DPS but where not effecting the rest of the world like what WoW did.

I prefear using DD because it is more correct.

LF1M Damage Dealer. vs LF1M Damage per second.

Acronyms can mean more than 1 thing. This confusion right here is probably a large part of why DD was phased out...and it happened during EQ1 as well. I started with Velious, and I have always known my wizard to be DPS who does Direct Damage ( DD ) / Nukes.

That being said, the role wasn't used anywhere near as much in EQ due to the vast differences in classes...most people just said their class. Wiz lfg, etc.

If you really want to go away from DPS, try using "DMG". That will avoid any confusion like you are seeing here as it's both clear what it means even if you dont know older acronyms, and it is differentiated from others.

All the games you are writing down there have come out after WoW, escept for EvE (if im not mistaking.).

What the point is that WoW has made the "dps" effect on all the games do to its size.

DD where used in the old games like EverQuest, Earth & Beyond etc. DPS where more or less intordused trough WoW and pased over to other games and is now being used as the "universal" word for "damage dealer".

A lot of words has been lost do to "modernization" of the language.

Remember the other day in Rift I said. "Hold back, I will do a LoS pull".

People whent: What? LoS? What is LoS?

I whent /faceslap.

Was just trying to make a point ,why change something that works and people understand?

Also LoS has been used in all mmo's i've played aswell (well besides EvE).

Edited by Szeph

Ok everyone, I understand that tank and healer are pretty much self explanatory...but the term "DPS" is just a little too "WoW" for me. I say we decide as a group to say "DD" = Damage Dealer. I for one don't want to feel like im just playing space age WoW, and this is one way to help make that distinction.

Support an independent era...say "DD"!! Keep this on the first page so everyone gets the word.

"DD" originally meant Direct Damage, as opposed to Damage Over Time (DoT), and Area of Effect (AoE) damage.

"Damage Dealer" is as lame as "DPS", to be honest.

You can not reinvent the wheel. DPS and DD are terms from the late 90s, when MMOs started. DD has always meant direct damage. DPS is Damage per Second. The silly change from DD meaning Direct damage to Damage dealer started in 2008. Hint that came from the World of Warcraft community.

So some that just want to not follow the age old formula. Like wow was the MMO that messed up the two term NooB and Newb. Before that everyone know a newb was a new player and NooB was a jerk.

Edited by Romiz

excuse me sir but that is not correckt....

i have been playing mmos over 10 years - **** i got old - and damage dealing classes were always called DD

DPS gained popularity after parsers *damage meters* were used and therefor people started to ask for DPS... but if you look at EQ/EQ2/VG people still tend to ask for a DD instead of a DPS

Yes, and no. I do remember DD being used sometimes in EQ1, but then it switched to dps. EQ2 has always used dps from my experience. DD seems to have fallen out of favor not only because of parses, but because it also refers to direct damage. It's just a terrible abbreviation to use for a class that focuses on damage due to the confusion it causes.

This seems like a sad attempt to differentiate SWTOR from WoW. If SWTOR were different enough, this wouldn't be needed (for instance, in Guild Wars 2, there is no such role). This thread's existence is, ironically, just another reminder of how close the two games are.

I will continue to say "dps". It's a more flexible term and a unit of measurement ("I did 1200 dps") rather than just a vain attempt to lash out against a game no one would be reminded of anyway with such a generalized term.

Ok everyone, I understand that tank and healer are pretty much self explanatory...but the term "DPS" is just a little too "WoW" for me. I say we decide as a group to say "DD" = Damage Dealer. I for one don't want to feel like im just playing space age WoW, and this is one way to help make that distinction.

Support an independent era...say "DD"!! Keep this on the first page so everyone gets the word.

Why do people try to change terminology that has been around forever just because WoW did it?

I swear, it just makes people look mentally unbalanced.

Well, all of the former FFXI players will know what you mean if you say "DD" (Damage Dealer). Those that are more accustomed to the more specific naming trends might be confused.

It might be easier to simply ask for the AC you want since there aren't very many to begin with. It seems to work fine in AoC, instead of asking for a healer I usually see them asking specifically for a BS (Bear Shaman) or a POM (Priest of Mitra). That game only has around 12 classes.

Some aspects of MMO parlance change in accordance with the game, others have taken years to reach their current accepted forms. I'm comfortable saying flashpoint instead of dungeon and warzone instead of BG. Other things I'm not willing or don't care enough about to change. I still call the exchange the AH.

If you've been around longer than WoW, you would realize that DPS has been around longer than WoW.