So when is SWTOR gonna get an art and graphical update?

Macetheace

Cathar the exception, I'm noticing models are beginning to look dated, esp with the newer titles on the market, and I've always felt some of the interiors, could use some updating - giving more variation of style, design and colour, would that we would get a place that looked inside somewhat like the clone labs on Chameno in Episode 2.

Another thing is the planets from space - you've probably seen the really cool KDY fly in - look at the resolution on that planet !! , or the new fleet fly ins - or the oricon moon in the fly-in or the planets in GSF maps - then compare them to Coreilla, Balmorra, Voss, Belsavis - and i'm like, i'd love these to get an update, and each have something interesting in the atmosphere - you'd expect Belsavis to have some massive security grid, an orbital weapons system in Balmorra, Coreilla would have orbital shipyards like Kuat and others. Then think how Coruscant and Drommund Kaas could look with tons of ships and traffic and lates etc when you see the fly -in

Anyway, I'm just wondering when we're gonna get updateseven a whole game graphical update.

[in before - BW will never do that - it's too many resources - BW have no ambition - EAWare just milking your money on CM and don't expect anything]

Talking about CM, they could do a new set of high resolution models & faces for different races and sell em off on the CM. Talking about higher definiton on the fae, e.g. on the guys you would notice the difference between slight stubble and just shaven.. you could even have things like male bodies with body hair, an option for adam's papples on more than just Twi'lek size 1 males - and maybe even a new body size for male and female - male would get a tall and thin body type, female will get a fat body type - that woudl be cool, all avail on the CM ofc..

Bodywork is just fine, it's what's under the hood that needs an upgrade.

Model wise I'm guessing people the appearance kiosk didn't go down as well (earn as much) as they might have hoped. Otherwise I'm sure we would have seen more/more detailed content for it.

I'm honestly not sure if I'd want a graphical update. SWTOR already doesn't run all that smoothly on my machine, with really weird framedrops in certain areas and nothing I can do about it, since fiddling with the settings doesn't seem to affect my framerate in any major way.

Why do people feel this way?

They said from the beginning this isn't going to be ultra-realistic so that more machines can play the game. I really don't find any fault with the graphics at all, not dated or otherwise.

I'm honestly not sure if I'd want a graphical update. SWTOR already doesn't run all that smoothly on my machine, with really weird framedrops in certain areas and nothing I can do about it, since fiddling with the settings doesn't seem to affect my framerate in any major way.

even changes that can seem small can have quite an impact on the performance so it's best not to mess around with graphical updates.

Why do people feel this way?

They said from the beginning this isn't going to be ultra-realistic so that more machines can play the game. I really don't find any fault with the graphics at all, not dated or otherwise.

Hehe... one of the rare times that you and I are in complete agreement. :)

Besides.. they have been making incremental improvements for some time now..... and I have yet to see an MMO do any sort of actual tech/graphics refresh inside of the 5th year of production (+/-). My point being..... it's normal to see incremental improvements over time for an MMO, but NOT a complete refresh update.

Edited by Andryah

adding day and night cycles and maybe some weather patterns would help too.

They already said that they won't do that. It was a stylistic choice not to include them, apparently some artists felt that the planets needed specific lighting to get the mood across and day/night cycles and weather patterns would make that impossible. *shrugs*

They already said that they won't do that. It was a stylistic choice not to include them, apparently some artists felt that the planets needed specific lighting to get the mood across and day/night cycles and weather patterns would make that impossible. *shrugs*

Yeah.. day/night cycles are over-rated in MMOs (IMO), and frankly more often an annoyance then immersive.

As for weather... some of the planets DO have actual weather effects, and other effects in the sky above though they are not obtrusive to game play, so I really don't get where people are so worked up about weather effects.

I get that some people would rather PvE the weather then in game NPCs... but it's a niche audience IMO, and not worthy of going back and bogging down a finely tuned planet with effects that offer noting but some eye candy for some players.

Edited by Andryah

Ah I was going to start a thread thanking Bioware for the ninja graphical update they did last Wednesday , so yeah . Thank you Bioware. The textures on high setting are really stunning , both myself and a friend have noticed. Balmorra is looking amazing , quesh too and even Hoth.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Yeah.. day/night cycles are over-rated in MMOs (IMO), and frankly more often an annoyance then immersive.
Eeeeh. I liked them in WoW. Even back in Vanilla, when it got really, really dark at night.

But I'm one of them weird roleplayers, who learned cooking just for the utterly amazing ability to build campfires in the wild ;)

i got mixed feelings about day/night cycles, and don't feel as much the need for random weather patterns as I did when I played wow.. didn't think we'd get them in any graphcial update though.

I would like to see more completely new envrionements like Oricon and Asation - sadly DArvannis looked way too much like Tattoine in the night time with a sandstorm weather effect.

Talkinga bout weather, instead of random weather, each planet should at least have 1 zone where there is a weather effect in play, either rain, or snow, or a sandstorm or just strong winds..something that fits the planet's environment.

my biggest though will still be model update tho, and i'd really like the planet models to be upgraded too

Cathar the exception, I'm noticing models are beginning to look dated, esp with the newer titles on the market, and I've always felt some of the interiors, could use some updating - giving more variation of style, design and colour, would that we would get a place that looked inside somewhat like the clone labs on Chameno in Episode 2.

Another thing is the planets from space - you've probably seen the really cool KDY fly in - look at the resolution on that planet !! , or the new fleet fly ins - or the oricon moon in the fly-in or the planets in GSF maps - then compare them to Coreilla, Balmorra, Voss, Belsavis - and i'm like, i'd love these to get an update, and each have something interesting in the atmosphere - you'd expect Belsavis to have some massive security grid, an orbital weapons system in Balmorra, Coreilla would have orbital shipyards like Kuat and others. Then think how Coruscant and Drommund Kaas could look with tons of ships and traffic and lates etc when you see the fly -in

Anyway, I'm just wondering when we're gonna get updateseven a whole game graphical update.

[in before - BW will never do that - it's too many resources - BW have no ambition - EAWare just milking your money on CM and don't expect anything]

Talking about CM, they could do a new set of high resolution models & faces for different races and sell em off on the CM. Talking about higher definiton on the fae, e.g. on the guys you would notice the difference between slight stubble and just shaven.. you could even have things like male bodies with body hair, an option for adam's papples on more than just Twi'lek size 1 males - and maybe even a new body size for male and female - male would get a tall and thin body type, female will get a fat body type - that woudl be cool, all avail on the CM ofc..

The game already runs poorly as is.

There are other MMOs out there with better character models, textures, etc, than TOR but their engines aren't nearly as bad as TOR's is.

Also stop trying to turn TOR's character creator into Skyrim's. You ask for the weirdest specific things out of it's character creator or things that nobody else is looking for in the game. There are numerous character creation features that people want far FAR more than things like adams apples.

As far as planets go, that's an easy/simple fix. The vanilla planets are basically JPEGs. They could replace them with 3D models to make them look much nicer, however having specific intros for every planet is a bit insane and not needed. It be nice, but there are other areas where they could better focus that attention. Note that the new/current Fleet entrances are great but they don't need a different one for each class, just as every planet doesn't need it's own unique intro.

Also you can make TOR look better than it already does using things like Nvidia Inspector and Sweet FX Config, but the game is only going to run worse for you. They can't just all of a sudden make it look better without it taking a performance hit. A game like WoW is easy to update and easy to get running well because it's running on decade old tech that's become really cheap and easy to develop for. TOR will probably never get to that point.

Edited by Darth-Obvious

The game is perfect. Max settings on a 660 GTX and the game runs at 60+ fps np. If you think the game needs improving in the graphics department, either don't play on older laptops / upgrade your desktop GFX cards, or/and get a good monitor (Asus has a dope 24 inch that has a 50 million : 1 contrast ratio). The screen alone will make a big difference

when we get an swg 2.

Go away troll.

Edit: By the way I actually like the incremental changes to graphics they made. I can play on high with 45 fps and I am quite happy with that. Don't think they need to do a huge update at this stage.

Edited by theUndead

I bet soon.

How so?

It's very unlikely we'll see anything to the degree he's asking for.

This isn't WoW, they can't just overhaul the graphics like they do.

It's known that they'll be updating the Shadows setting soon and given that it's one of the most resource intensive settings I'm curious what percentage of the population will be able to crank it up without performance loss, because I'm guessing the TC won't be able to.

Honestly outside of the low res textures on a lot of vanilla stuff, players already have the ability to make the game look better themselves.

For instance I can already easily do stuff like smooth out jagged edges/pixels and make the colors pop more...

https://live.staticflickr.com/8379/8537242949_8d9b5e57e6_b.jpg

...and those are in game shots, they're not touched up with photoshop or anything, and it's not like I had to do anything complex either. It's just Nvidia Inspector combined with Sweet FX Config.

Edited by Darth-Obvious

It would be nice if new planets going forward had some day/night cycles + weather.

The big problem that day/night cycles that people don't bring up or seem to be aware of is the effect it would have on cutscenes.

The cutscenes have their own specific lighting, which would instantly be off if the surrounding area of the cutscene was darker or lighter. For instance you would have a number of cutscenes that would become way too dark or way too bright.

In other words they would basically have to go back readjust all the lighting in outdoor cutscenes, which they're never going to do and part of the reason why they didn't add them in the first place. If the environment remains completely static there are things that you never have to adjust for like lightning.

If anyone wants to see what I'm talking about with the game's lighting, click on your ship's holoterminal when you don't have a mission and you'll see the lighting switch to the cutscene lighting on your character model.

They have far more pressing concerns at the moment then how the game looks.

The start of their new 'Epic Story' arc was a bit of a damp squib (I'm sure some people loved it), a couple of OK cutscenes accompanied by 2 short, dull as dishwater, utterly unchallenging, 'tactical' flashpoints.

The Ops content has been stretched as thin as it realistically can be with nothing on the horizon other than DP NiM for probably the next 6 months.

PvP is also basically in stasis. New seasons will come and go, but there are no new WZ's or sweeping innovations on the horizon.

Strongholds is interesting but is essentially fluff, much like GSF was.

At this point point literally the last thing BW needs to be thinking about is sprucing up the visuals.

Hehe... one of the rare times that you and I are in complete agreement. :)

Besides.. they have been making incremental improvements for some time now..... and I have yet to see an MMO do any sort of actual tech/graphics refresh inside of the 5th year of production (+/-). My point being..... it's normal to see incremental improvements over time for an MMO, but NOT a complete refresh update.

Agreed.

I want an Ultra setting:D, but I'm aware that making it will take time. I figure they'll add it as an option eventually.