is the Sith a race or a religion

Senyio

hello, i would like a good explanation of the sith (red skin tentacle face people), im not a HARDCORE fan of starwars like most of you may be so please i need a good explanation about the sith, my friend and i where arguing about the sith been a race and he was telling me that they are not a race, they are a religion and since he says he is a hardcore fan of the movies and story of Starwars hewas right and i was wrong. so can some one give an excellent explanation or if you know George Lucas and he will say it by video or something that the sith is a race , again the red skin tentacle face people... i get annoyed when some one is close minded so if any developer sees this and care to elaborate.

Originally they were a race on the planets of Korriban and Ziost, yes. Long story short, there was a group of exiled Jedi who found Korriban and enslaved and ruled the Sith species. This is probably where the title Lord of the Sith originally came from. Over time, the Sith species and the Exiles mated, and then more outsiders came to the planet and mated, and Sith blood became less and less in each new generation.

This is also referred to in the Sith Pureblood race in this game. These are Sith with enough original Sith blood to show characteristics of their ancestors.

Eventually, the Sith species did die out and the Sith become more of a philosophical order (some people say religion, it means the same thing to me, they don't actually worship the Force though).

So, if your friend is a "hardcore fan" of the movies only, than yes it is a "religion" but as far as Extended Universe canon goes, the Sith were originally a species.

Since you wanted the answer from George Lucas, he says they are a religion. The Sith race doesnt exist. The Sith Knights was created by a fallen jedi around 2000 years before the movies.

at 0:47 onwards.

There is more interviews from Lucas that goes more indepth about it. Mentioning Darth Ruin and that the Sith completely ruled the galaxy. Nothing about the Sith race though.

Edited by Girdeux

As for how it works in SWTOR, you'll want to go with Darth's explanation above.

This is also mentioned several times if you play as a "Sith" (race) in either Sith (class) prologue on Korriban. Quests such as the one given to you by the headmaster? to scan and catalogue bloodlines here and there on the planet - to cleanse the blood and keep it strong (aka. stop crossbreeding)

It is very similar to the lore of Vampires in several universes - those with little or no "pure blood" in their genetics are considered of a lower caste, or considered enemies (for thinning the blood so far)

hello, i would like a good explanation of the sith (red skin tentacle face people), im not a HARDCORE fan of starwars like most of you may be so please i need a good explanation about the sith, my friend and i where arguing about the sith been a race and he was telling me that they are not a race, they are a religion and since he says he is a hardcore fan of the movies and story of Starwars hewas right and i was wrong. so can some one give an excellent explanation or if you know George Lucas and he will say it by video or something that the sith is a race , again the red skin tentacle face people... i get annoyed when some one is close minded so if any developer sees this and care to elaborate.

Race...

Took 2-5 minutes to make this to you from Wookiepedia.

As for how it works in SWTOR, you'll want to go with Darth's explanation above.

This is also mentioned several times if you play as a "Sith" (race) in either Sith (class) prologue on Korriban. Quests such as the one given to you by the headmaster? to scan and catalogue bloodlines here and there on the planet - to cleanse the blood and keep it strong (aka. stop crossbreeding)

It is very similar to the lore of Vampires in several universes - those with little or no "pure blood" in their genetics are considered of a lower caste, or considered enemies (for thinning the blood so far)

he said sith knights and didn't mentioned anything about sith race... yet we have a race in the game named sith.

Long story short, there was a group of exiled Jedi who found Korriban and enslaved and ruled the Sith species. This is probably where the title Lord of the Sith originally came from. Over time, the Sith species and the Exiles mated, and then more outsiders came to the planet and mated, and Sith blood became less and less in each new generation.

my friend and i where arguing about the sith been a race and he was telling me that they are not a race, they are a religion and since he says he is a hardcore fan of the movies and story of Starwars hewas right and i was wrong.

he said sith knights and didn't mentioned anything about sith race... yet we have a race in the game named sith.

I'm sorry - do you have trouble reading properly? :mon_rolleyes:

Both.

Something I've wondered though.

Where have they all gone by the time of the films? Has the bloodline just been that diluted that the ridges etc don't show up any more?

Without checking up on lore, I'd guess that the Sith species have mostly died out by the time of the films; at most there can be small, obscure groups or cults here and there, but that's it. Even in SWTOR, their bloodline has already been weakened and is far from pure. I'd think that this tendency would continue in the future, and the wars with the Republic couldn't have helped.

The Sith are in fact a race of beings encountered by dark jedi....The jedi (who seemed like gods to the Sith) became the ruling class and became "Lords" over the Sith, hence the title "Sith Lord". It was only thousands of years later that the "Sith" label included other species.

The Sith are in fact a race of beings encountered by dark jedi....The jedi (who seemed like gods to the Sith) became the ruling class and became "Lords" over the Sith, hence the title "Sith Lord". It was only thousands of years later that the "Sith" label included other species.

Yes and actualy give meaning to the sith order. I would also say that these dark jedi perform dark side rituals to be able to mingle to the sith species and create a hybrid between human and sith. The closest on their looks would be how they apear in game. Knowned siths like Naga sadow and ludu kresh where hybrids for instance. I want to say also that this is canon. Its not G canon but everything related to olde republic like the great hyperspace war, exar kun wars, the mandalorian wars, Revan story ( KOTOR) is part of EU canon.

Both.

Something I've wondered though.

Where have they all gone by the time of the films? Has the bloodline just been that diluted that the ridges etc don't show up any more?

Pretty much. There'd probably be people who were 1/10,000th Sith, but no one can tell without a fairly extensive DNA test.