Will 1.3 bring new lower graphics options?

DarthWoad

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My computer is probably the slowest in the world. Even at minimum settings, its quite bad. I need to go deeper.

A 1gb video card at $48 from ebay and a 10krpm hard drive will fix your problems fast.

If you can affrod $15 a month sub (or your parents can) then they can afford a cheapo video card.

If they dumb the graphics down anymore for low detail settings, you would be running around in a wireframe environment!

Edited by Talarchy

My computer is probably the slowest in the world. Even at minimum settings, its quite bad. I need to go deeper.

To be honest, part of the issue isn't your graphics settings, but the game's overall optimization. Its been reported numerous times, that people get reduced performance when trying to downgrade their graphics settings. Better overall optimization should be the priority before further lowering the graphics options...especially for less powerful machines.

See the post on the main page about optimizing your computer settings to improve performance.

Also...upgrade. This game makes tremendous use of particle effects and certain graphics cards don't play nice with them. The 4650 is a prime example of a good card that hates particle effects but a number of old cards have issues with PE's. It doesn't have to be a top of the line card to improve your performance.

It's not a graphical issue. This game is getting slower, with every major patch.

My computer has been upgraded from a Single-core CPU to a double-core over the course of my sub; the graphics card also saw a replacement.

But the load times are getting slower and slower as the patches keep coming.

Someone in the development department is screwing something up, because it ain't the playerbase.

Its not the graphics its the game itself. I have games that have 1000x better graphics then swtor... And they still run smoother. Bioware screwed the pooch somewhere in the programming. No idea how... But they did. I still love this game but they needto fix the terrible performance and load times etc in this game

I think their doing more to optimize the graphics so everyone gets more performance out of their system than they have now. Well that's what i'm hoping the will do, at very low settings the game looks very plain the only thing they can rely do is reduce spell effects, screen shaking and other unnecessary thing, well give the player the option to do so. Edited by midxx

Controversial view:

How about not accomodating people with low spec PCs?

Time was the PC industry was about new, better, faster, more powerful technology. None of us are running WIn7 on a 486, right? New games would come out and PC enthusiast would go out buy ram, GPU etc just to run the game on medium. Console gaming saw the same thing (we won't see Halo 4 come out and expect to play it on the original X-box or even the 360, maybe. So is teh logic different for this game?). The next gen games don't code so they can be run on a PSone or P133. Nope, they demand new hardware in an industry built on the notion of development and improvement - and the public buys into that. That's why my modile phone is capable of running Grand Theft Auto 3 with a stablity that my PS2 could never do.

Honestly, it is counter intuitive to cater for PCs that are low-spec as to be borderline outdated.

I actually think it is unfair that people with low spec-computers are asking/expecting optimization that hinders the performance and enjoyment of those who follow the trend and have PCs capable of running this game at its best.

Other games, be they stand alone or MMO (which, IMO should be the most demanding of spec) are not afraid to say, "Buy a better PC/Upgrade".

[i want HD graphics]

Edited by OneDon

It's not a graphical issue. This game is getting slower, with every major patch.

My computer has been upgraded from a Single-core CPU to a double-core over the course of my sub; the graphics card also saw a replacement.

But the load times are getting slower and slower as the patches keep coming.

Someone in the development department is screwing something up, because it ain't the playerbase.

yeah, I upgraded to a dual core aswell and bought more RAM,, saw some definite improvement - for a while. now I'm back to where I started (which is sad because I could play FFXIV on highest settings .before. I upgraded my system and that game has much much much much much much better graphics than TOR)

I don't remember when and where exactly I heard about it but I know that they'll implement a new lower graphic option. I think it was during the SWTOR MCM Expo Panel. Could someone else confirm?

I seriously doubt anyone who says they are/have been playing this game on a single-core system. Single core processors have been obsolete for over 10 years, and even dual cores are very close close to that point. A single core processor computer can barely handle a modern desktop web browser or PDF file.

The "standard" today is a quad core, although 6 and 8 core machines are starting to become more common.

Besides which, load times are largely driven on our end by hard drive speed. If you are using an old IDE platter (also obsolete), you are going to see ridiculously long load times. A modern 7600rpm SATA II hard drive (standard, not exceptional) will give you marked improvement. An SSD upgrade would reduce load times to almost nil (assuming the rest of your board was up to date and can handle the data transfer speed).

As it stands now, the load time can be pretty long, and fairly aggravating, even on a standard to above average modern computer. But I don't believe for a minute that anyone is or has been playing this game at any time on a single core machine. And if you are, you have no right to complain. A single core computer is worth literally $2.50. Spend another $5 and buy yourself an obsolete dual core, where you'll at least get 10fps and might actually have a SATA hard drive interface.