[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

Because just one guy is responsible for all of the bug fixes, art, class balance, quest structure and progress, and game mechanics, right?

Thinking that their process is a single, looping line of Problem In -> Thinking, Fixing, Implementing -> Solution Live is absurdly short-sighted, and incorrect.

When did I ever say that ONE GUY LOL was responsible? I never said that. And I never said that a problem was linear in solving either. I said that there are a crapload of other issues going on at the same time that SHOULD have higher priority in regards to implementation in a patch or what have you than other issues.

Edited by Notannos
use of retarded

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't really take you seriously after lines like that. Is that how you pay for the game? I use my paycheck. Please stop trolling and wasting time here.

I never said I get food stamps/welfare. Man, you people aren't even quoting me right anymore. Take a look at America as a whole and tell me I'm wrong, unless you live in white suburbia where lawns are trimmed with rulers and Mrs. Smith would never lay a hand on those children of hers.

When did I ever say that ONE GUY LOL was responsible? I never said that. And I never said that a problem was linear in solving either. I said that there are a crapload of other issues going on at the same time that SHOULD have higher priority in regards to implementation in a patch or what have you than other issues.

Did it ever cross your mind that specific ppl only work on specific stuff at bioware? There are engine programmers for this thing, who fix it for and other that specificly work on stuff you want fixed. This company is big with lots of diffrent departments.

Edited by Notannos
use of retarded -editing quote

I still don't understand these images, lol. My game does not look like that left hand pic there.

Then you are not running on highest setting or simply blind or lying as bioware confirmed this bug themselfs already.

Edited by Ommm

This thread was made on the 6th? I thought we were all aware in December that High was actually Medium first due to a bug and second due to optimization concerns, and that High textures already existed and were unavailable, but would be in soon. Why is this even a discussion?

Help me, Obi-Wan, I'm going to freakin' die over here if I don't have slightly crisper graphics within the week.

Funny thought:

Imagine Bioware advertised their game with current screenshots. People who would browse http://www.swtor.com would go "Well it looks fun, but WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THE GRAPHICS??". I mean, who wouldn't? Some screenshots I made look like they've been done over 10 years ago.

Example: http://imageshack.us/f/339/swtor2011112817024366.jpg/ (maximum settings, the worst looking object I've ever seen)

I mean, if you decide you want a new MMORPG, check their website and see low res and jagged edges everywhere, wouldn't that be a major turnoff? Don't get me wrong, I still up to this date buy games that don't look great, even though I have a high end gaming pc. But those are indie titles. Small companies with great ideas. Certainly nothing EA/Bioware. Also you don't exactly pay 150$ (alot more whre i live) for a CE, and 20$ a month (calculated where I live) for something with the graphic of Plants vs Zombies. ;)

Of course some people are arguing its "just" graphics, and gameplay and such is more important. I'll agree to some extent, but if you play for days it gets really tiresome to look at the blurry, jagged mess.

When playing on my old pc there are always tricks to get stuff running decently. Turn off shadows, AA, lower shader, whatever. But when playing on something better than low end stuff, you really want to see something for your hardware.

We've been forced enough to play low res games that on top of that run badly, considering the crapload of bad console ports out there. But when a PC only title comes out, looks bad and runs horrible for what you see, then something is really wrong.

Who knows what the DEV team is doing. They might actually have to halt everything and focus on fixing their engine if they ever want to resolve this. Most likely they'll have to make a few phonecalls to Nvidia/Ati to get some beta drivers rolling, while they make the changes.

Looks like a big pile of work, along with all the other issues. Maybe it wasn't that good to send everyone off to holidays right after release, considering the current state the game is in? Sure, from the human aspect it makes sense, is fair, deserved and what not. But from an economical aspect.. its a catastrophe.

Edited by Crassius

This thread was made on the 6th? I thought we were all aware in December that High was actually Medium first due to a bug and second due to optimization concerns, and that High textures already existed and were unavailable, but would be in soon. Why is this even a discussion?

Help me, Obi-Wan, I'm going to freakin' die over here if I don't have slightly crisper graphics within the week.

THIS IS WHAT I'M SAYING, MANG. God, someone with logic please help me here as I wade through the turds.

"omg, if we don't make QQ threads all over the forums they will completely fuhgeddabout us!"

When did I ever say that ONE GUY LOL was responsible? I never said that. That's retarded. And I never said that a problem was linear in solving either. I said that there are a crapload of other issues going on at the same time that SHOULD have higher priority in regards to implementation in a patch or what have you than other issues.

Well, appearently they had the time to "stealth" change the graphic settings in patch 1.1 currently on PTS to remove the medium texture setting option to make the current medium the new high setting!

That's why I am losing faith in Bioware in how they gonna handle this game. As I loath these kind of "underhand" shady practices! :mad:

As of they do pull this kind of crap with this issue. You can bet they will do it with other issues as well. And that doesn't bode well for this game's future!

And that is also why I don't expect any satisfactory answer from Stephen today. It won't be what people will like to hear! Most probably another excuse about him not having an answer "yet again". :rolleyes:

Edited by Jeronas

Well, appearently they had the time to "stealth" change the graphic settings in patch 1.1 currently on PTS to remove the medium texture setting option to make the current medium the new high setting!

That's why I am losing faith in Bioware in how they gonna handle this game. As I loath these kind of "underhand" shady practices! :mad:

As of they do pull this kind of crap with this issue. You can bet they will do it with other issues as well. And that doesn't bode well for this game's future!

And that is also why I don't expect any satisfactory answer from Stephen today. It won't be what people will like to hear!

If that's true it's very sad.

THIS IS WHAT I'M SAYING, MANG. God, someone with logic please help me here as I wade through the turds.

"omg, if we don't make QQ threads all over the forums they will completely fuhgeddabout us!"

It is about basic principle. You dont advertise under false pretense, in full knowledge that it is not working on release.

Edited by Ommm

It may certainly require a bit of work on their part, but the textures already exist and can be displayed in game (and in beta, for a time, were working 100% for those who had the options up) so I would expect it sooner rather than later.

That said, I don't understand the people who are jumping off a bridge over having lower texture quality for a month, if that. It's like I'm in kindergarten again and little Timmy is screaming because his yellow crayon has some black on it.

Because we're edging close to a month in "live" status and it still isn't fixed?

Because the game is being sold at least in part based on completely false representation?

Because people that weren't in the beta didn't know they would be in "soon" because all they ever got was a 60$ game with worse-than-free-to-play MMO textures and never saw the beta commentary in the first place?

Because instead of fixing the issue, the test server is reflecting fewer graphical options and exactly zero graphical improvements in regard to texture quality, a change that was undocumented which leads many to believe they were attempting to silently bury the issue?

Take your pick, any of those are pretty valid.

Funny thought:

Imagine Bioware advertised their game with current screenshots. People who would browse http://www.swtor.com would go "Well it looks fun, but WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THE GRAPHICS??". I mean, who wouldn't? Some screenshots I made look like they've been done over 10 years ago.

Example: http://imageshack.us/f/339/swtor2011112817024366.jpg/ (maximum settings, the worst looking object I've ever seen)

I mean, if you decide you want a new MMORPG, check their website and see low res and jagged edges everywhere, wouldn't that be a major turnoff? Don't get me wrong, I still up to this date buy games that don't look great, even though I have a high end gaming pc. But those are indie titles. Small companies with great ideas. Certainly nothing EA/Bioware. Also you don't exactly pay 150$ (alot more whre i live) for a CE, and 20$ a month (calculated where I live) for something with the graphic of Plants vs Zombies. ;)

Of course some people are arguing its "just" graphics, and gameplay and such is more important. I'll agree to some extent, but if you play for days it gets really tiresome to look at the blurry, jagged mess.

When playing on my old pc there are always tricks to get stuff running decently. Turn off shadows, AA, lower shader, whatever. But when playing on something better than low end stuff, you really want to see something for your hardware.

We've been forced enough to play low res games that on top of that run badly, considering the crapload of bad console ports out there. But when a PC only title comes out, looks bad and runs horrible for what you see, then something is really wrong.

Who knows what the DEV team is doing. They might actually have to halt everything and focus on fixing their engine if they ever want to resolve this. Most likely they'll have to make a few phonecalls to Nvidia/Ati to get some beta drivers rolling, while they make the changes.

Looks like a big pile of work, along with all the other issues. Maybe it wasn't that good to send everyone off to holidays right after release, considering the current state the game is in? Sure, from the human aspect it makes sense, is fair, deserved and what not. But from an economical aspect.. its a catastrophe.

See now, I can agree with this. You're being logical. I understand that some people enjoy their high-end graphics and in some cases it makes or breaks a game for them. Also, I'd like one person to tell me what exactly this magic and simple "fix" is that will restore the high textures to all without problems, because I certainly don't know. This is why I don't work on the dev team, I play the game and work a different job. It could be more complicated than anyone realizes.

If by some trolling stunt the dev team knows exactly what it takes to fix the game and just hasn't implemented it because they enjoy reading people all over the forums complain about the game they worked very diligently to make happen, then I'll eat my hat. Until then, I still stand by my beliefs that all this hubbub over something the devs already know about and SHOULD be working to resolve is just pointless yammer.

Well... you know what they say.
I'm a big fan of the squeaky wheel, but you only have to do that to get attention to the problem. They know. They're working on it. Further squeaking is just aggravating to the ears. They're still working on it, but it takes a set amount of time, and all the squeaking in the world doesn't speed that process up--if it accomplishes anything at this point, it's making the guy preparing the new wheel avoid the room with the old one squeaking in it because it's so annoying and pointless.

It may certainly require a bit of work on their part, but the textures already exist and can be displayed in game (and in beta, for a time, were working 100% for those who had the options up) so I would expect it sooner rather than later.

That said, I don't understand the people who are jumping off a bridge over having lower texture quality for a month, if that. It's like I'm in kindergarten again and little Timmy is screaming because his yellow crayon has some black on it.

If the yellow crayon cost Timmy 60 bucks plus a monthly fee and a few hundreds in computer parts and had some black on it out of the box - hell yea he better be screaming

Edited by daMarek

Speaking solely for myself, Bioware (and most of the defense force) keeps mentioning stuff like ''it'll get fixed, don't worry about it'' to which i would respond, when exactly? When i paid for my 6th month?

Regardless of wether it's alot of money or not, you can't expect people to just keep quiet about something like this or other problems when they are paying 60bucks for the main game and 15 every month after that, entitlement or not, we as paying customers do deserve an answer.

Edited by mesha

I'm a big fan of the squeaky wheel, but you only have to do that to get attention to the problem. They know. They're working on it. Further squeaking is just aggravating to the ears. They're still working on it, but it takes a set amount of time, and all the squeaking in the world doesn't speed that process up--if it accomplishes anything at this point, it's making the guy preparing the new wheel avoid the room with the old one squeaking in it because it's so annoying and pointless.

I don't really need to add anything to this, so I'll just quote it.

Speaking solely for myself, Bioware (and most of the defense force) keeps mentioning stuff like ''it'll get fixed, don't worry about it'' to which i would respond, when exactly? When i paid for my 6th month?

Regardless of wether it's alot of money or not, you can't expect people to just keep quiet about something like this or other problems when they are paying 60bucks for the main game and 15 every month after that, entitlement or not, we as paying customers do deserve an answer.

Nobody even knows if the problem has been isolated or not.

If the yellow crayon cost Timmy 60 bucks plus a monthly fee and a few hundreds in computer parts - hell yea he better be screaming
You bought new computer parts--they'll still be there when the problem is fixed.

You bought the game for $60--that product will still be there when the problem is fixed.

Your free month came and went while the problem was still a problem--even granting that you are indeed entitled to that free month (you are, as per MMO conventions) you're absolutely ridiculous to assume that there would be no issues during launch month.

Have some patience. Don't be Apelles' cobbler.

If they would just say when or flick the switch already it wouldn't be an issue.

It's more of a big deal because we know the capability is there, you can see it.

Fact is other games had better character graphics eons ago and this is the biggest online mmo to come out in years!