View Single Post

Aurbere
12.01.2013 , 08:11 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Kacynski View Post
Questions here: what are the limits of the Lightsaber to this ability (not talking about the wielder here, talking about the physical limits of the Saber).
How do you mean? Like how much firepower can a lightsaber deflect? I think lightsabers can deflect turbolaser fire, but I may be misremembering.

Another important feature of the Lightsaber is that its blade packs such a high energy density that it can cut through almost all known materials. It is very impressive (and fear inducing) to see someone cut their way through a thick steel door (as Qui-Gon in TPM)
Questions here: again, what are the limits of the Lightsaber. Which materials resist the blade and why?
Cortosis, phrik, Mandalorian Iron. Those are the materials I can name off the top of my head. I can dig up some more info as to how they resist it if you wish.

We also see that the Lightsaber is used as a kind of force focus to defend against force attacks (like Obi-Wan defends against Count Dooku's lightning).
Questions here: Is a Lightsaber necessary for that (obviously no, because Yoda deflected lightning with bare hands); or how does the Saber help? Is it just used as a tool for ones own mind, a psychological crutch so to speak? Or does a Lightsaber has its own merits when it comes to defend against the Force.
A lightsaber can't defend against all Force attacks, but it can defend against Force lightning. I can't think of why at this moment, but I believe it is all about the energy of Force lightning.

A weakness of kind of the Lightsaber is its close combat nature. At first glance it is of no use at range. At many instances though, we see it thrown with great effect. What other long range uses there are for a Lightsaber (if any).
Lightwhips are good for range, but they require a high level of mastery to be used effectively. Other than that, throwing it and deflecting blaster bolts.

One thing that also always interested me is, how closely attached the Jedi are to their personal weapon. Of course a Jedi can use telekinesis to grab any object, but it always seemed to me that they have a special bond with their Lightsaber so they can instantly pull from wherever it is.
Question here: Is this assumption true? Does a Jedi need to see their Saber to grab it with the Force? Or does the Lightsaber generate an imprint in the Force that can be sensed by its owner?
As we see in the Sith Warrior story, Darth Baras can locate his lightsaber from (quite literally) across the galaxy. I would have to pull out The Jedi Path, but I believe that it says a Jedi can do that in there as well.
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus