Developer Dispatch: HK-51 Activated

CourtneyWoods

Check out the latest Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Developer Dispatch to get a first look at the story behind Game Update 1.5: HK-51 Activated.

Watch as they discuss the dangerous missions that await you in the new Section X area on Belsavis. Discover how you can embark on a galaxy-spanning hunt for clues on how to unlock one of the most deadly Assassin Droids, the HK-51 Companion! Take a sneak peak at the final pieces of the Dread Guard gear set and see a rare new mount that your team can earn by taking on Operation: Explosive Conflict in Nightmare Mode!

Watch now

COOL !

Nice looking area. Cant wait to take in the sights, the massive cannon in the background looks very nice..

Good job to the new fellas in front of the camera. Takes a lot of ballz to open yourself up to all the hateful trolls, that infest these forums...

edit: (well done moderator)

Darker and edgier? How I hate it when people say that, like it is a good thing. Most stuff that tries to be dark and edgy is just crap.

Crap like Tim Burton's revamp of Batman when before that batman was mostly seen like this?

Sure, sometimes it fails, but personally I like that SWTOR's story tries to take it self seriously and tries to lean towards darker themes.

Looking good, like the new mount that's actually something new rather than a reskin.

I like the idea of dailies that need a full group due to mechanics hope these can not just be powered though anyway.

The new world boss sounds interesting but really another "I Have seen him somewhere before" moment. Come on there are so many cool creatures in the Star Wars universe and these guys just keep reusing stuff.

Crap like Tim Burton's revamp of Batman when before that batman was mostly seen like this?

And Christopher Nolan's Batman is even darker than Tim Burton's....and way more awesome.

I think Star Wars is best at it's darkest moments, but they stand out best in all its lighter moments. Balance ftw.

Anywho, looking forward to the patch, it's always nice to see the developer dispatches. Though I feel like they should have hired John Machitta to help cram all that information in. :p

I still think that the whole Dread Master thing has carried on too long as it is. The Dread Master story arc isn't even good. It's boring and predictable and if Kephess comes back again there will be hell to pay for such laziness. I want a dynamic operation story where your choices can actually change the encounter different and better yet the encounter changes difficulty in a particular area such as if you choose selection A. you will have to eat a lot of aoe damage or if you choose selection B. there will be no aoe damage, but the enrage timer is tighter or something like that. Give us mechanics that we can control in a way and not some cheaply done one size fits all boss fights. Basically Bioware needs to put their copy of WoW down and get an original idea. We are playing this game not because of what it copies from other MMOs, but what it offers in itself and while story missions are "ground breaking" because I don't have to read blocks of text, end game is stale and fairly dull. Oh, and adding mounts and pets...DOES NOT CHANGE HOW FUN THE GAME IS! Make mounts or pets that actually assist you in your adventures. I'd like to ride a Nexu who chews up my enemies into bits while I slash away at his friends.

http://i.imgur.com/0VYEG.gif

Edited by Korvus_Starlight

Gentlemen... This is the update we've been waiting for.

Puzzle missions, new area, new progressively harder boss fight, nightmare explosive conflict operation, and a new companion. And most importantly, new story.

I can not wait. This update laughs at update 1.2. It was good to see some imperial players for a chance! Got a little bored of watching Jedi and troopers doing all the fun stuff.

Keep up the excellent work! Also was nice to see some new faces representing BioWare.

Excitement. :D

Is it bad that when I heard Bruce McLean say "Darker and edgier" in the DD, the first thought I that popped in to my head was John Smedley saying "Heroic and Star Warsy" ?

Star Wars fans are used to disappointment from MMO companies. Stop with the buzzwords and just give us the damn update already!

I do hope this is what I think it is. A exciting, story-driven level 50 area that is not elite like Operations, not revolving around getting dailies etcera like Black Hole and generally friendly to those new to MMO's. Basically proper expansive story content, if this is true, I am very excited and very impressed - keep it up!

P.S. A question for BioWare, is this story only open to lvl 50's and more specifically only to those who have completed Ilum, or is it just an area to be explored at anytime, any level. (I assume its lvl 50 only.)

Wow I knew that the new Belsavis area was gonna be that!

What's funny is that this area technically isn't "new" it's actually been there for a while. I discovered it back in 1.2 and made a youtube video about it:

Granted it wasn't finished.. but it's still pretty cool to discover these kinds of places.