Sage or Shadow for Solo Leveling?

RevansFollower

Ok, so I am wondering about which AC is better for solo leveling. Assuming I use the appropriate companion for each, my gear is equal and every other factor is a constant for each except the one variable that is the class itself.

Which is better by themselves? I was reading in Torhead and correct me if I am wrong, but the Sage gets an extra 400 force points and the Shadow gets nothing comparable, so does that mean that they have to wait in between attacks or something and use the basic meh attack?

If I sound noobish, it is because I am usually a melee player and not a caster, so please help.

Ok, so I am wondering about which AC is better for solo leveling. Assuming I use the appropriate companion for each, my gear is equal and every other factor is a constant for each except the one variable that is the class itself.

Which is better by themselves? I was reading in Torhead and correct me if I am wrong, but the Sage gets an extra 400 force points and the Shadow gets nothing comparable, so does that mean that they have to wait in between attacks or something and use the basic meh attack?

If I sound noobish, it is because I am usually a melee player and not a caster, so please help.

shadow is more of a rogue/tank spec. It is also a melee class. Instead of the massive 400 fp sages get i think you can recharge so to speak your bar faster. I'm not sure if shadow is good for soloing as I am a sage, but i should assume so. Sage is fine however we have heals in case we're in trouble :p

I'm leveling an Inf spec Shadow right now, and I must say that I love the playstyle. I've only died about once and that because I accidentally fell off the top of a rock into a mob. As far as energy goes I usually have no problems, the recharge time doesn't vary, and I believe the Inf specc gets more FP in the skill tree. Also when you get annoyed because you just killed your through an entire complex of mobs and then have to fight your way back out, you can just stealth past them instead. We also get some nice stuns and force cloaking in the middle of a battle is so much fun.

I'm a level 49 shadow, and this is my first MMO. First. Ever. I've been extremely pleased with the choice of Jedi Shadow and have never felt "stuck." Not once.

The great benefit of the shadow for solo play is, if you do have to repeat a mission, you can do so without having to fight every enemy all over again. You just slide by and fight the boss.

This is for information purposes, not a boast: One night I couldn't find assistance for a Hero 4 mission I wanted to do. So I did it. Solo. My character was the right level too, not overpowered. Never died. Never could have down it without a Shadow's stealth. It was on Balmora. I had to switch on terminals in a building filled with bugs. Got them all, first try.

I'm a level 49 shadow, and this is my first MMO. First. Ever. I've been extremely pleased with the choice of Jedi Shadow and have never felt "stuck." Not once.

The great benefit of the shadow for solo play is, if you do have to repeat a mission, you can do so without having to fight every enemy all over again. You just slide by and fight the boss.

This is for information purposes, not a boast: One night I couldn't find assistance for a Hero 4 mission I wanted to do. So I did it. Solo. My character was the right level too, not overpowered. Never died. Never could have down it without a Shadow's stealth. It was on Balmora. I had to switch on terminals in a building filled with bugs. Got them all, first try.

Ok. that settles it, i am rolling shadow. :cool:

You can't change once you make this choice, so there's no reason to pick which one gets to 50 faster or better, but rather which one fills the role you want to fill with the playstyle you like to play at 50.

The differences between the AC passives aren't a legitimate selling point from one to the other, as they're completely different and play completely differently. If you want to be a melee, be a Shadow. If you want to be a caster, be a Sage. That's the only factor that should drive your choice.

That said, Force for a sage is more like a mana bar, whereas for a shadow it's functionally a lot more like a rogue's energy.

In PvE Shadow has a lot going for it. With Tharan in Inf spec you can lock down 3 mobs while you dps the third. You can stealth in and out of an objective once the bonus missions for a quest are done.

Only draw back is the mini game I like to call spot the icon! The shadow runs out of power very quickly if you don't hit skills when they are proc so a good deal of your time is spent looking for these ever shifting, dull colored icons above your health bar.

I have a lv50 shadow and a very soon to be 50 sage.

Shadow was easy after I got Theran as I was Kinetic (tank) specc'd

With the sage I used Zenith and then Nadia and went Seer (heals) for survivability

I think I've enjoyed playing the sage more as range appeals to me more than melee

whatever you choose, if you enjoy playing the character you'll find it as easy as pie

I have played both into the 40's (thought I did go with assassin which is the empire version of shadow so I could see the story).

Both are just fine for leveling solo or otherwise. I leveled my sage as a healer and assassin (shadow) as tank. They both seemed to level at about the same speed and with both I used a dps companion once one was avaliable.

As a shadow, stealth is a huge boon though. You can stealth past things you do not care about. This can be detrimental to a point as you do miss the exp from the things you would otherwise have to kill. This was mostly a non issue for me.

So, I would say it is totally up to your play style. Do you want to range dps/heal or melee/tank.

Edited by Ikutai

Well I can only speak as a Sage. Since I prefer to play a ranged character. Apart from my Jedi Guardian that is :D

My Sage is a healer, cause that's what I love to do. For solo it's a lovely class as well. I always use Theran to heal me so I can kill stuff. Just have to keep Force Armor (Shield) up and the occasional Rejuvenate (Heal over Time spell). Not much I can't do it seems. I don't feel weak at all. I find it easier to play with than my Guardian.

But the choice is yours. Seems Shadow might fit you better, since you've noted that you normally play melee classes. Shadow does just that :)

Have fun :)

I have soloed my way to 33 by now as a Jedi Shadow, and stealth is a huge plus. I have very little game time so while I always do all quests, I also try to avoid clearing too much trash to get the most out of my ingame time.

You'd think I'd be underlevelled since I stealth and avoid combat, but it is the other way around.

I just skipped the entire Alderaan planet (except the story quest line) to get back in touch with my level as I was 4 levels higher than my quests. (Will have to play Alderaan on a an alt sometime)

This game has so many quests that if you like the space missions, which I do, or the Heroics, which I have not needed so far, you will be levelling without problems whatsoever.

I even make a point of NOT logging out in rest zones to avoid bonus xp in order to stay in my level range more or less.

Love my Shadow, love this game, but am sure you could level just as easily as a Sage.

(Oh, love the companion system too - see? I am a totaly fanboy)

Lvl 50 infiltration shadow here. My favorite thing is when I am riding around on my mount and then I see a imp player I just her my stealth button and I automatically jump off my mount and myself and companion go into stealth. I have taken down so many imps that way I can't even count. Best fun of the game imo.

Level 50 Shadow here. Let me tell you two "short" stories.

I am obsessed with getting all the datacrons and have gotten every single one on the planet I visit. There I am, on Nar Shaddaa, where the datacron is in a high level area (level 36) and I was level 25. I was adamant about getting the datacron before I left the planet, so I slooooooooowly snuck in cloaked while shaking in my proverbial booties getting to the datacron. The sense of achievement and adrenaline rush was awesome.

So I hit level 50 near the beginning or Corellia, when I realized there is really no need to do the bonus kill X number of enemies then collect Y items then kill boss Z. So, I finished the last 15 (!) remaining quests in the planet faster than you can recite the Gettysburg Address. i cloaked to the target (usually a switch), mez the mob guarding it, hit the switch, force cloak out. Done. Or, I cloak through 40 trash mobs, kill boss. Done.

We are fairly limited to companions if you want little downtime (Tharan or C2-N2), but other than that, we're a pretty fun AC.

Edited by KilmarFyrewynd

Hey folks-

For those playing both Sage and Shadow, how exactly did you spec? VERY new to the game, and I'm trying to decide which is best for me.

Since its a little different then the other MMO's out there, which is what drew me to it in the first place.

Just getting an idea to what i could look forward too in the future.

Thanks in advance

Hey folks-

For those playing both Sage and Shadow, how exactly did you spec? VERY new to the game, and I'm trying to decide which is best for me.

Since its a little different then the other MMO's out there, which is what drew me to it in the first place.

Just getting an idea to what i could look forward too in the future.

Thanks in advance

As my sorcerer, I grabbed 5 points in the Lightning tree (Telekinetic) and then went Madness (Balance). As my Sage I went Seer/Telekinetic hybrid to 50 and then respecced to 31/7/3 (pure healing).

Both were very capable, I feel the madness/balance build was better at numerous trash mobs and the healer was better at strongs and elites.

Both could solo H2s on level, but the hybrid healer spec had a much easier time of it, and especially at 50 when I was specced full heals and had geared my pets.

Edited by Onager

• 2 years later...
I soloed some heroics with sage too, seems like it depends a lot on the player's abilities, and playstyle. I sure had trouble on beating heroics with sage, coz i dont have stealth i had to fight for it, but we can send companion in, deal dps and then heal the comp until he's fine, and then keep atacking untill comp's close to death, heal him again... You got what i'm saying, if you want shadow, there is a chance the enemies detect u if u pass close to them. Sage is guaranteed on long combats.

I soloed some heroics with sage too, seems like it depends a lot on the player's abilities, and playstyle. I sure had trouble on beating heroics with sage, coz i dont have stealth i had to fight for it, but we can send companion in, deal dps and then heal the comp until he's fine, and then keep atacking untill comp's close to death, heal him again... You got what i'm saying, if you want shadow, there is a chance the enemies detect u if u pass close to them. Sage is guaranteed on long combats.

Um.. i'm pretty sure this guy isn't still sitting around trying to figure out what class to play ( 02.01.2012 , 02:01 PM | #22 )

I think your flux capacitor is damaged.