How to Play SWTOR with a Video Game Controller

PeepsMcJuggs

I FINALLY got PGP to work! Apparently the program is very fickle about how you have your controller set up in MiJ (which means people NOT using a PS3 controller shouldn't have any problems...AS LONG AS THEY RUN PGP AS AN ADMINISTRATOR).

For PS3 controllers using MiJ, follow this guy's instructions here to get PGP to properly recognize your controller (except make sure you set Buttons 5 & 6 as L1 & R1, and 7 & 8 as L2 & R2, then disable the z-axis): http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/wiki/index.php?title=Motioninjoy_and_PS3_Controller

Updated tutorial and video to be posted soon.

Edited by PeepsMcJuggs

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted to say that this is incredible. Thank you so much for the tutorial and all of your effort. The game is so much more enjoyable and with my carpal tunnel i can actually play it pain free.

ONe question, the only thing that is a pain is that i have to constantly make sure my mouse arrow on the screen is in a good spot because the right analog stick always clicks and stuff. when in pvp if it is not in a corner it will get off of my target. have you found anyway to remedy this. It is not the end of the world but if you have a way then that would be great.

I just wanted to say that this is incredible. Thank you so much for the tutorial and all of your effort. The game is so much more enjoyable and with my carpal tunnel i can actually play it pain free.

ONe question, the only thing that is a pain is that i have to constantly make sure my mouse arrow on the screen is in a good spot because the right analog stick always clicks and stuff. when in pvp if it is not in a corner it will get off of my target. have you found anyway to remedy this. It is not the end of the world but if you have a way then that would be great.

Happy to help! Unfortunately, there is no solution to that particular issue until BioWare offers integrated controller support...although it just occurred to me you might be able to configure the controls to automatically move the mouse to the center of the screen when you tilt the analog stick. I'll have to test that out tonight.

Edit: Oh I think I know what you mean...you're referring to the fact that it right-clicks, and therefore you lose your current target. The only partial fix is to disable the "clear target by clicking on terrain" option. Otherwise, there's no solution I can think of at the moment.

Edited by PeepsMcJuggs

ill try the disable thanks

I've fiddled around a bit, and I'm not certain, but I think this problem is a timing issue. As in, XPadder issues the right-click command a split second before moving the mouse. PGP doesn't seem to have this problem. Try switching the order of events in the advanced commands so mouse movement occurs BEFORE the right-click.

I have attempted at running xpadder as admin. im using a wired xbox 360 controller and the xpadder program and the controller seems to work i can control it easily and works for other games but once i start up SWTOR it stops working any one know how to fix this issue? Edited by Pdarkk

I have attempted at running xpadder as admin. im using a wired xbox 360 controller and the xpadder program and the controller seems to work i can control it easily and works for other games but once i start up SWTOR it stops working any one know how to fix this issue?

If you're pretty tech savvy, don't take this condescendingly, as others have encountered this issue: are you setting the XPadder.exe file to run as an administrator, not the XPadder folder?

Additional steps to attempt: try running XPadder in Vista compatibility mode, and ensure it's not running out of the Program Files (x86) folder. Also, have you tried rebooting since you configured everything?

Barring that, someone more knowledgeable on 360 controller issues is gonna have to step in, because by what you're saying, it should work.

Is there any chance of getting Khalirei's Xbox Profile's uploaded? (Or is that in the files you've previously linked?)

Thank you so much for all of this!

He never uploaded it, but said he's willing to if anyone requests it. Go ahead and shoot him a pm. The profile mappings are displayed here: http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/9386/xbox360mapping2.jpg

Somebody recommended this XBOX profile as well: http://www.mediafire.com/?jgxb6298mf7zl0t

Hey Peeps I am currently using the Xpadder to play along with a slightly modified version of your imperial agent config and am having some problems with the camera control. Sometimes when I am running along and moving the camera with the right analog stick, the camera will suddenly jerk and end up pointing straight up in the air or off in the opposite direction. Have you ran into this problem?

Hey Peeps I am currently using the Xpadder to play along with a slightly modified version of your imperial agent config and am having some problems with the camera control. Sometimes when I am running along and moving the camera with the right analog stick, the camera will suddenly jerk and end up pointing straight up in the air or off in the opposite direction. Have you ran into this problem?

I did at first, yes. Camera controls are the hardest thing to tweak with these profiles as I've recently discovered that what works at one zoom distance doesn't necessarily work at another (the camera seems to rotate faster the further out you zoom).

There's three different settings you can play around with until the camera rotates the way you want it:

1. Dial down the camera rotation speed in SWTOR's preferences (this is normally set to 1% or 0% for me).

2. Go into XPadder's settings (the monkey wrench in the upper right corner) and select Values. From there, you can adjust the Default Mouse Speed.

3. Go to your Windows control panel and adjust your mouse's pointer speed.

Edited by PeepsMcJuggs

I use XBOX controller (via Errol's Pinnacle game profile with some changes) also due to hand injury that makes using a mouse a literal pain.

It works very well but I did in part choose my class and AC and what skills are being used to maximize the controller effectiveness. Putting SHIFT on a bumper to unlock 2x the keybindings also helped.

+1 for controller usage :-)

@Sevroth, another option occurred to me: you could disable your right stick's y-axis on your main mapping (basically don't have anything assigned to it), but have it enabled on map 2. This way, on your primary map, you can only rotate the camera left and right, but if you hold down R2, you can rotate it up and down as well. This should help prevent you from accidentally slewing the camera to the sky.

^ Proof some of the best ideas come to you in the bathroom. ;)