Harbinger potentially unofficial APAC server...

Tom_the_Narwhal

A lot of Master Dar'Nala's guilds will potentially be moving to the Harbinger come transfers simply so we can be on at APAC peak with other APAC players. It basically gives us the next best thing from an APAC super-server. Just letting you guys know so that you don't think to go to The Bastion or anywhere else like that. Here's a thread with a few guilds so far, It'll be updated as we get more.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=616525

A lot of Master Dar'Nala's guilds will potentially be moving to the Harbinger come transfers simply so we can be on at APAC peak with other APAC players. It basically gives us the next best thing from an APAC super-server. Just letting you guys know so that you don't think to go to The Bastion or anywhere else like that. Here's a thread with a few guilds so far, It'll be updated as we get more.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=616525

I was just gonna say this!

I have no interest in moving to the Harbinger. It's overloaded, flaky, and from what I can see of the community it's not the kind of place I want to be.

TEHEE will probably move to the Bastion. Having the same community isn't really of benefit to us (there's only a handful of good raiders on Dalborra pubside anyway). The potential for good MD players is one thing, but they're likely to stick to their own guilds at any rate.

Edited by Aurojiin

I have no interest in moving to the Harbinger. It's overloaded, flaky, and from what I can see of the community it's not the kind of place I want to be.

TEHEE will probably move to the Bastion. Having the same community isn't really of benefit to us (there's only a handful of good raiders on Dalborra pubside anyway). The potential for good MD players is one thing, but they're likely to stick to their own guilds at any rate.

You guys should reconsider not going to Bastion. I have characters on both Harbinger and Bastion. Items on the gtm are significantly higher than on harbinger. For example, I can buy a handmaid's tunic on Harbinger for 140k-160k where on Bastion it cost around 300k. Every thing from crystals to mats are more expensive on the Bastion and there are less people to play especially on republic side. That's why I want to move my Bastion characters to Harbinger.

Edited by Knockerz

You guys should reconsider not going to Bastion. I have characters on both Harbinger and Bastion. Items on the gtm are significantly higher than on harbinger. For example, I can buy a handmaid's tunic on Harbinger for 140k-160k where on Bastion it cost around 300k. Every thing from crystals to mats are more expensive on the Bastion and there are less people to play especially on republic side. That's why I want to move my Bastion characters to Harbinger.

There are arguments for and against the Harbinger, as there are arguments for and against every other server.

On the plus side, the Harbinger has a larger community. The plus is that yes, prices are driven down by supply and make for a cheaper playing experience in terms of credits. It also has more people available to recruit into raiding teams, warzone premades, etc etc.

That plus is also a downside. The Harbinger is infamous for its instability (and you have to wonder just how much of that is due to the population?). Wasn't the chat server down a few days ago? Heard numerous reports of spiking latency too. Doesn't sound pleasant.

On the plus side, the Harbinger will most likely have the majority of the APAC population migrating there. That's great. I love a bunch of these people on Dalborra (and haven't had the good fortune to extend into knowing people on Master Dar'Nala or Gav Daragon). If I do end up on the Bastion, I will be sad to lose contact with all those people.

However, the Harbinger also has (from what I have heard, granted) a very... unpleasant general population. At least, an unpleasant vocal one. Whilst this may not speak for a majority, it's a sharp contrast to what we're used to in a relatively mild-mannered community where the worst you get is being called "Porky Pig" because you let slip that it's a nickname (if you're reading this man, you will never escape it).

The biggest downside as far as I see it though is the fact that a very, very, very, very, very good friend of mine (and a fantastic player to boot) sees a difference of ~100ms when playing on the Bastion. In favour of the Bastion.

Personally, when all things are equal, I am impartial. Things like this tip the odds. Reasonably sure the guild we run is of a majority agreement in that regard.

There are other contributing factors that will sway our overall decision. But at this point in time, the Bastion is looking more attractive than one of Brett's sheep on a cold day.

Edited by Punchy

There are arguments for and against the Harbinger, as there are arguments for and against every other server.

On the plus side, the Harbinger has a larger community. The plus is that yes, prices are driven down by supply and make for a cheaper playing experience in terms of credits. It also has more people available to recruit into raiding teams, warzone premades, etc etc.

That plus is also a downside. The Harbinger is infamous for its instability (and you have to wonder just how much of that is due to the population?). Wasn't the chat server down a few days ago? Heard numerous reports of spiking latency too. Doesn't sound pleasant.

On the plus side, the Harbinger will most likely have the majority of the APAC population migrating there. That's great. I love a bunch of these people on Dalborra (and haven't had the good fortune to extend into knowing people on Master Dar'Nala or Gav Daragon). If I do end up on the Bastion, I will be sad to lose contact with all those people.

However, the Harbinger also has (from what I have heard, granted) a very... unpleasant general population. At least, an unpleasant vocal one. Whilst this may not speak for a majority, it's a sharp contrast to what we're used to in a relatively mild-mannered community where the worst you get is being called "Porky Pig" because you let slip that it's a nickname (if you're reading this man, you will never escape it).

The biggest downside as far as I see it though is the fact that a very, very, very, very, very good friend of mine (and a fantastic player to boot) sees a difference of ~100ms when playing on the Bastion. In favour of the Bastion.

Personally, when all things are equal, I am impartial. Things like this tip the odds. Reasonably sure the guild we run is of a majority agreement in that regard.

There are other contributing factors that will sway our overall decision. But at this point in time, the Bastion is looking more attractive than one of Brett's sheep on a cold day.

Instability only happens during prime time, which won't affect aussies. I play usually around 1am-6am pst, which is around the same prime time as aussies and there isn't any problem for this time interval.

Edited by Knockerz

Whilst this may not speak for a majority, it's a sharp contrast to what we're used to in a relatively mild-mannered community where the worst you get is being called "Porky Pig" because you let slip that it's a nickname (if you're reading this man, you will never escape it).

You're dead to me.

I would suggest lvling a toon to 10 on each and playing some wzs and flashpoints, at least experience it for yourself, tho I wouldn't do this on a double xp weekend which is the temptation.

Double xp brings out the scary people lol.

Edited by Antiskeptic

Instability only happens during prime time, which won't affect aussies. I play usually around 1am-6am pst, which is around the same prime time as aussies and there isn't any problem for this time interval.

But when they move most of us to Harbinger, their non-prime time becomes our primetime + their offpeak. If the server cant handle their load at primetime (at login it says light load) how is it going to handle our influx.

I popped over their yesterday, as I had chars on their from 12 months ago I couldn't move off, and the community hasn't changed in that time. In fact I think it's gotten worse than what Barrens Chat used to be in WoW.

Do I have a choice, yes either unsub, or move to another server. I have to wait to get together with my real life guild mates when they come over this weekend to discuss which server we'll be moving to.

I will be moving all toons from master d and dalborra to harbinger most of TA is still undecided as to which server

But I feel that if most guilds/ players from apac choose roll to harbinger this will be our best option for the long term

Looking forward to playing against players from both servers

Edited by Ren_simp

For all looking to the future, its better for everyone to stick together.

The harbinger is now the unofficial apac server as BW has said it will eventually move everyone who didn't volunteer there. Also, returning players who did not know about the move will all be moved there if they re-log in after the merger.

The minority who moved to other servers will find their population dwindle eventually as people naturally go play other games after a while, or have other real life commitments to attend to (kids, work , studies etc). Eventually there will be less and less people to raid with and recruitment will be ineffective as new apac players will always move to the server with the perceived higher apac population community (which is harbinger).

If all you do is flashpoints and pvp then it doesnt matter where you move, you'll always be able to find a grp. But if you want to raid with others in a similar timezone (ie apac), all should stick together and move to harbinger. You'll also be able to preserve your communities at the time that you normally play at.

For all looking to the future, its better for everyone to stick together.

The harbinger is now the unofficial apac server as BW has said it will eventually move everyone who didn't volunteer there. Also, returning players who did not know about the move will all be moved there if they re-log in after the merger.

The minority who moved to other servers will find their population dwindle eventually as people naturally go play other games after a while, or have other real life commitments to attend to (kids, work , studies etc). Eventually there will be less and less people to raid with and recruitment will be ineffective as new apac players will always move to the server with the perceived higher apac population community (which is harbinger).

If all you do is flashpoints and pvp then it doesnt matter where you move, you'll always be able to find a grp. But if you want to raid with others in a similar timezone (ie apac), all should stick together and move to harbinger. You'll also be able to preserve your communities at the time that you normally play at.

Well said mate

You're dead to me.

I promise I will never bring it up again in a public forum... or general chat. Happy now?

Also, despite that massive post I made this morning/last night, TEHEE is probably going to the Harbinger. :o