Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!

Glzmo

For me, i'd like to see them - specially as your default chat setup is beyond bad.

Firstly ./say and. /general (1) go in the same default window - given the game does not have a LFG channel or a LFG tool (i dont want to start a debate about the tool here); there is WAY to much text in this inital window. People almost exculsively ignore the window unless they want something - or if they dont its difficult to see what is /1 and what is /say as they by default the same color and are seperated only by a prefix.

I realise you can configure all this, but the fact is you have stupid defaults. When adventuring out in the world, if i walk up to someone and go "/say hi mate", it gets ignored.. why? Because thier default chat window is scrolling so fast they ether don't see it or have stoped looking.

Chat bubbles for all the faults are good for atracting attention of someone out in the world. It gives us a visual referance for someone speaking rather than looking up in the top right of the screen (also a silly default choice for a chat client in a mmo, again i realise that you can move it, but with the rest of the UI being so unconfigurable there is no place sensible to move it to).

For what its worth if you cant imediatly fix the bubbles then do the following.

Make a default chat channel config that is something like the following, apply it to all clients if they choose.

window1 = say, yell, team, tell(/r)

window2 = general and other spam, tell(/r)

window3 = guild, team, tell(/r)

Anarchy online is 10 years old, (over) it doesnt have chat bubbles but when someone speaks, thier charicter has a very subtle "glow" it only glows very breifly and then fades, it prompts users to look @ the chat window.

./Trindermon

Edited by trindermon

in Warhammer Online party chat would appear in bubbles; parties consisted of up to 6 players

something moderated like this would make sense, but i see no need to find the social hubs filled with text bubbles of randoms unless i can toggle that option off

I just cannot understand how a large title such as this one was released without such basic features as chat bubbles. I know that there are more feature this title lacks, but that is not the discussion, and to make matters worse, we are only 7 days away from the monthly re-sub. How much time are we willing to give to the developers to fix these issues? When will you say enough is enough?

Coming from SWG this was pretty much the first thing I looked for when i saw they weren't there by default. Disappointed to find no option for them.

By all means allow them to be toggled off, with possible sub-options for showing bubbles for guild/party/friends/NPCs, but to omit them kills the sense of community.

It's pretty obvious. Many features weren't ready yet but corporate side wanted to get sales quickly for Christmas. They are betting that people will pay for the game while they still develop/fix these issues. This tactic is working so far. The game needed 3 more months to get basic stuff fixed. :x

Bumping because the lack of official replies on the intention of chat bubbles / animations or other things to improve 'near avatar' communication is starting to make me worry.

The M's in MMO stand for Massive and Multiplayer. This game needs to be able to have smooth communication with other players, and chat bubbles/animations to note other players nearby communicating in a way that is meant to be for other people nearby (because that is what you use /say for, even as a non RPer) is essential for the Multiplayer experience. The large /say distance would also be a lot smaller issue if you can somehow see when someone that is physically (in game) near you says something.

Edited by Devlonir

Hello Devs, any news on when chat bubbles will be ready? Please enable them for /say, /yell, /emote at least and with an on/off toggle. You've made such a beautiful game world, I'd really like to be able to see the sights but I can't because I've got to keep my eyes glued to that little chat box in case anyone's talking to me. :(

Apparently the spokespersons and devs were busy dealing with an issue that turned out to be a non-issue and working as intended. A handful of people whined they couldn't see super uber high res textures on teeny tiny characters in the game with their multi-thousand dollar game rigs...

So the devs thought that was more important to waste time on.

Yet something that has dozens of threads about it, hundreds of posts, keeps coming up by new people every day, and generally speaking whenever you ask a crowd about chat bubbles, they seem to almost all agree the game badly needs them...

Well, the devs will ignore.

I'm starting to think the big ticket items (horrible UI, horrible chat system, camera control issues, fps issues) are ones the devs want to ignore and hope all the people who care will unsub so all that is left are people who are content with mediocrity. That way the devs won't actually have to fix anything.

Come Jan 19th, the devs just may very get their wish.

:mad::confused::(

Edited by Frigidman

I've posted in support of this thread but I will have to disagree with you there Frigid much as I think you are nice usually I think the low quality blurriness in the game IS a big issue too as the bad interface etc, it really ruins it especially when you like to take screenshots of your RP characters. In most cutscenes the close-ups on clothes look horrible too, or near anything in the environment. Blurry nastiness like they made the game for Xbox first or something... swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=75972 Edited by SelinaK

I think the low quality blurriness in the game IS a big issue too...

Hmm.

Well, I know each has their opinions, and trust me when I say I am a very big stickler on quality looking graphics. Its the years of designer nonsense in me. However I do have to note, that I just am not seeing all this nastiness that people seem to be going on about.

Not to derail this topic, I WANT CHAT BUBBLES!

Just wanted to share, that I wish I saw what the problem is with the textures. But really, they are crisp on my screen... even more crisp in conversations. I love the distance blur effect, as it adds much more depth. I kind of wish I could turn on distance blur in general gameplay, and not just in the conversations. But, eh, its a minor desire, overuled by my deep seated passion for CHAT BUBBLES! (and a more adjustable/friendly UI ha).

As an RPer I find that without this feature, it simply feels wrong to RP at all. It breaks the mmo part of the game for me, and so far I have pretty much viewed it as a single player game with an option for multiplayer.. All the players running around might as well be npcs, since the general chat is too spammed to keep an eye on all the time, I feel like I'm on my own, even on the fleet.

Even if the feature has issues, just give us the option to turn it on or off, anything is better than this :/

PS. I love this game, I just want to be able to play it to its highest potential

Edited by Shatidox

Concur they are needed.

BW...please add a toggleable option for Chat Bubbles.

Additionally, please enable facial emotes (smile, frown, bored....etc) in game as well as some selection of stances to help our characters seem less than wooden.

How about emotes that do something? I'm surprised that alot of the emotes aren't even voiced like /lol or /joke it's odd considering how much was spent on voice acting. Did the VA get uppity with Bioware?

How about emotes that do something? I'm surprised that alot of the emotes aren't even voiced like /lol or /joke it's odd considering how much was spent on voice acting. Did the VA get uppity with Bioware?

Naw, BW mentioned the actors are still on board for new content and all that.

I'm pretty sure it just boils down to bioware not caring about the ACTUAL social activities of people in the game. Emotes are half done. Chat window is abysmal. No chat bubbles to bring people together. Distance falloffs are all wack. Ignore is half working. UI is klunky in general.

Face it, bioware does not care about any massively multiplayer role playing that is not part of the 3 choices in canned conversations while in a group. To them, those 3 choices "are the social aspect of the game" and NOTHING else matters to them.

Seriously.

This is pretty much a standard feature of ANY modern MMORPG. I probably won't continue playing past my free month if chat bubbles or at least overhead text has been implemented.

If this would make you quit a game, you must quit a lot.

I agree chat bubbles are cool and a good feature to have but not games breaking nor something to qq about.