Arenas

Scarymike

So, this has probably been brought up before, but I would really like to see an arena type system within the game. I truly believe it is a chance for people to prove they are the best of the best. I hope to see it in future content. Especially a 1v1 gladiator arena. That would be the best. Edited by Scarymike
spell check

Honestly, Bioware needs to think about this. Their engine obviously can't handle large scale pvp, and they are going to lose those subscriptions to GW2. So why not focus on improving their small scale pvp. There are still plenty of people who like arena style pvp. Just make it so you don't have to do arenas to get the best gear. If you only want to do rated warzones, that's cool. Some people like to do both. I like having options.

nor would I like to read all the QQ about balancing classes for a 1v1 setup when this is a team based game.

I agree with this. I know the OP mentioned 1v1 arenas but that not what i was referring to. Bioware just needs to do something. I really enjoy this game, but it can't handle massive pvp and warzones are starting to get old.

not something i would participate in.

nor would I like to read all the QQ about balancing classes for a 1v1 setup when this is a team based game.

well............if Brool wont participate in it, then there is no point in making it.

Edited by vwsupra

I would enjoy it but I would not enjoy all the QQ that would follow... people already want to face tank with ranged DPS class and scream imbalance. People forget the role of support classes, we would have healers mad that they can't do well in 1v1 arenas. :rolleyes:

I think if they implemented a 2v2 through 4v4 arena that would be cool. It would eliminate some of the QQ from support classes who try and face tank since they could be teamed up with a class that they could potentially excel with.

All around... I like the arena idea but not for a 1v1. It would be nice to have a dueling area but in no way should it be rewarded in any way. Just somewhere for people to duel on fleet. Honestly I don't even think any arena modes should be awarded if they're ever brought in. Just for entertainment value and practice only.

I would enjoy it but I would not enjoy all the QQ that would follow... people already want to face tank with ranged DPS class and scream imbalance. People forget the role of support classes, we would have healers mad that they can't do well in 1v1 arenas. :rolleyes:

I think if they implemented a 2v2 through 4v4 arena that would be cool. It would eliminate some of the QQ from support classes who try and face tank since they could be teamed up with a class that they could potentially excel with.

All around... I like the arena idea but not for a 1v1. It would be nice to have a dueling area but in no way should it be rewarded in any way. Just somewhere for people to duel on fleet. Honestly I don't even think any arena modes should be awarded if they're ever brought in. Just for entertainment value and practice only.

I would be for 1v1 2v2 or 4v4 arena.................as long as Marauder's are not allowed to que.:D

Reason I left WOW.

Arena centric PVP. Nothing screams FOTM louder.

Playing in a small box gets very old. They are nothing more than glorified duels. The coding must be incredibly simple so i'm sure developers would look at them as a quick add on. The question is....what do you want them to spend their limited time and budget on? If they give me cheap PVP and make it their centerpiece, I'm moving on.

If they made about 5 larger variants of Alterac Valley instead, I would have stayed.

I will never participate in arenas or stick with a game that makes them their centerpiece.

I'm not the only one that feels this way. You can thank WOW for that.

Edited by Sungas

I don't think we are going to see 40v40 with this engine. AV was cool back in the day, but in the last couple of expacs, a lot of people hated AV. One side turtles and it becomes a big aoe fest at a choke point. Dont even get me started with IoC. There are a lot of people that enjoy competitive small scale pvp. I understand that it becomes a balancing nightmare for bioware, but it might be a necessary evil. I don't know how long people will stick around just to queue warzones. Edited by DCVAN

Maybe an arena that involved your companions. All I know is I despise hut ball and most people play just to farm comms. I want a challenge, not a disorganized mess. I don't want to have to rely on the guy next to me, who depending on his/her mood, and diet, will either be a team player or not.

So, this has probably been brought up before, but I would really like to see an arena type system within the game. I truly believe it is a chance for people to prove they are the best of the best. I hope to see it in future content. Especially a 1v1 gladiator arena. That would be the best.

Roll a new character on The Fatman server and join our 1v1 Duel Tournament September 9th. There is a prize for a newly rolled character that advances the furthest. Read the rules and sign-up at http://www.chosen-elite.com/duel

I don't think we are going to see 40v40 with this engine.

Of course we can see a 40 V 40 warzone.

The only problem is seeing it is all we could do as we would all freeze and not be able to do anything.

Could you imagine 80 abilities going off at once .... you'll be able to hear the servers cry for a quick death.

It's a shame really. Some people like small scale arena but i'm more of a fan of large scale fights. More going on, the stress, the hectic battles, the getting pounced on by 12 stealthers when the rest of your team zergers and you were tying your shoe lace.

I started with PvP in DAoC and loved the big battles in the lakes. I thought Illum would scartch that itch for me but sadly it wasn't to be.

The truly sad part is the game and the PvP crowd have the makings of some great big fights but we'd kill a server or two trying it.

So you are saying that they shouldnt strive for balance? How about when class X comes across class Y in OW? Should it be a given that class X always wins? Or wait, we're going to pretend that OW PvP doesnt exist at all just because BW seemingly did everything they could to keep the two factions apart? Weird because I've, even on a PvE server, managed to get my fair share of ow-pvp in foremost the daily areas on Belsavis.

On another note, I thought the pits in Huttball subbed as some form of Arena. People sure spend a lot of time down there atleast....for no apparent reason.

Edited by MidichIorian

So, this has probably been brought up before, but I would really like to see an arena type system within the game. I truly believe it is a chance for people to prove they are the best of the best. I hope to see it in future content. Especially a 1v1 gladiator arena. That would be the best.

I can already see it now... the ones that will do it / survive in there is PT/VG mara/sent ops healer / any of the formentioned. every other class will be sidelined due to utility issues persay.

I can already see it now... the ones that will do it / survive in there is PT/VG mara/sent ops healer / any of the formentioned. every other class will be sidelined due to utility issues persay.

I dare not say the value of my DPS assault merc. I think everyone underrates their toons and bases everything off of wz's, how many people actually duel anymore. And its not class or spec, but gear and rotation. Enough said.

First I'd like to say the arena should of done this before rated war zones. As someone's said above the game can't handle large scale battles in its current state.

Second I want to point out that 1v1 is an will always be a dumb idea. NO GAME is balanced around a 1v1. In fact most mmo are balanced around a group. In this case I think TOR is balanced around 4v4 an up.

IMO 2v2 3v3 and 4v4 with 3-4 arena types with the ability to LoS on arena maps would of helped the game far more then the rates by far. Now I don't think you should get better gear. But really cool fluff or armor shells that provide a different look or color.

While I know some of you do not like arenas at all, an could enjoy world pvp more. But when I hear people complain about word pvp, I laugh for a few min. World pvp takes players to want to join in a area to fight. An I always chuckle when those same players say they need forts an objectives to conquer. Correct me if I am wrong. It isn't that a war zone? I mean world pvp is about large scale battles not the an giving low end toons a hard time. Not give me something to fight over. IMO you need something to fight over because people will NOT just go out in a zone to pvp. But give them something to bring them out. World pvp doesn't seem to be as popular as those who claim it is. If it was it would be going on right now with or without an objective. Now I do agree BW did screw illum up but at least you can still go to it an perform open world pvp (or planet).

At least I can say this much IF arenas was put in. More if not a lot more players would have played it, an que times (when severs combined) would have been a lot better then the rated war zones. A proper rating system an bam players would be sucked in. Still cring about op classes, but at least then BW could get really good data on which AC lack to perform well in a 4v4 and which classes shine to much (dmg-cc-survivablity).

My 2c

Edit: using my iPhone which doesn't like some of my term use an puts in different words from time to time

Edited by Orcron

LOL people like this get ran over day by day by the small scale guys. Lawl.

On a side note I think this would be a great idea. I most certainly would participate in.