Game feels dead

IAmYourGod

Yep, I'm nowhere near 50 and I'm in no rush to get there. Am just having a blast with the storylines, and I'm on a pvp server as my primary server. Seems pretty lively, but I've just been taking my time and still haven't even made it to 30 yet. Nothing's been devestatingly broken beyond repair for me, I have my alt classes to putter around with, things are pretty smooth, and there's plenty of servers with queues. So, I'm not sure where the 'dead' interpretation comes from, other than the lonely-at-the-top syndrome that some people probably have if they power-leveled and skipped a lot of story stuff. Maybe. :D

Have to agree with what Kyomih said. Just look at the quoted text up here in the post above mine, yep yep. ^ ^ ^

I think I've stopped having a shred of sympathy for those who go zoom to the top too quickly and then choose to publicly complain about it. Roll an alt, slow down, relax, maybe enjoy the story stuff by taking a different route with your choices or something. Eeesh. :(

Edited by Anomini

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got to 50 on the 18th and didn't skip any conversations or cut scenes. Yeah there isn't much going on end game yet. and what there is PvE wise is a huge bug fest.

I just log in, do my dailies, help some guildies, then log on an alt.

Im currently running around in Alderaan as lvl 34. Im not even thinking about lvl 50 and are instead enjoying my time there exploring, getting chased down by lvl 40 mobs, following my story. Sure, there arent many people here, but that really dosnt matter.

I think its amazing to see how greedy people seem today. Bashing a 1 week old mmo from a company that (as far as I know) dosnt really have any experience on the mmo market compared to fx Blizzard. And just because there are a few things that arent after their wish. And those of us who loves the game are suddenly stupid and weird.

A lot of these people act like the fat kid in the supermarket crying and making a scene because his mother wont buy him a chocolate bar.

High level planets have max 6 players, no one is doing world pvp in Illum. People don't talk in chat, and i takes around 3 hours to find a group to flashpoints. What is this, a single player game that i need to pay monthly fee for? No thanks.

Now that i'm 50 and i've finished the story i guess... that was it.

Plenty of character slots.

This the norm for MMOs. You out levelled everybody else in the game. And are now complaining that there is nothing to do. MMOs are launched with the end game content not finished on purpose. If people took their time to level, or if a company was smart like Blizzard (back at WoW Launch) they would make the instances at max level to hard to do with a normal group to slow people down. There wouldn't be this issue.

With that being said, it is ironic that MMOs are not the least social type of games out there. You get more interaction through single player forums then you do MMOs. This is mainly due to how streamlined WoW has become. Everybody just wants to sit in a town and do nothing and say nothing till their queue pops. That is also why World PvP is dead. Warzones make it easy. You can sit and do nothing and have rewards given to you even for losing, or you can go out and try to hunt your prey and lose and get nothing for it. The current gen players are always going to take the lazy way out.

The only way to get back to the things you want would be for a company like a Blizzard with unlimited money for the most part to make a lower budget game and only expect 200k subs of truly dedicated fans and keep the difficulty up like they did with Everquest. Then you are only going to get people that are wanting to talk and play with other people. As it is now nobody wants to cause you don't have to.

There was somebody on her complaining that they were going to quit because a quest was to hard. Even after people were telling them exactly what to do, and the tricks to the fight they were still saying no quest should be to hard for one person to solo. Unfortunely this is not a small sampling of the player base this is what the player base has become. ME ME ME ME ME NOW NOW NOW NOW, oh I have to use more than just one skill RAGE QUIT!

It's a shame really, there have been some good ideas for MMOs in the past 10 years, but none ever took off because of the shear laziness of our culture and society. Hand it to me or I don't want it.

My highest is level 32, i started him in the headstart on Thursday.

But, last weekend i didnt play, monday and tuesday i didnt play, yesterday i was dead tired so i didnt play.

The game will be there when i want to come back, its not like reaching 50 first on your server gets you a cookie..

I`m in no rush at all, hell 32..with 50 being max, ive powerleveled!..

QFT / ffs, what is it with you new generation of MMO players? You devour MMOS and spit them out..powering to 50 without actually enjoying the ride then blaming the game for it. Lots of people got the game for Christmas, haven't played the hell out of beta and didn't use early access.

I seriously think that companies shoot themselves into the foot with doing "betas" which we all know is just a marketing tool most of the time anyway (at least betas close to release). Today's MMO players do not care for the actual leveling, are all about instant gratification but those are the ones that will leave a game after a few weeks of playing and look for the next best thing anyway.

Seriously, I just started playing and the amount of "the game is dead", "there is nothing to do at lvl 50" posts just makes me laugh for so many reasons I cannot even start to put them down in written words :)

Or the outcries for lfg tools. My god, what would you guys have done back when there weren't even AH. You know, while leveling you actually had to make friends along the way and that was part of the social experience. That also meant the was never a shortage of people to group with. Heck, even here: I already made friends even though I started on a server I knew I would not stay on. The faster you level the faster you outgrow content the faster you outgrow rewards, the less you are inclined or interested in the leveling process per se (what a nice merry-go-round).

You want to level fast and instant gratification which in turn means you are only playing for end-game in a game that has been released a bit over a week ago..there is something very flawed in expectations of a certain player group compared to mmo designs in general.

Also, what did you guys expect? That all the content you powered through even before release would magically reappear at lvl 50?

I have seen this tendency and the dilemma arise within the last few years of MMO design and community development and I am curious to see where this eventually will lead :)

One idea is to make the leveling process harder, like in the old days but then the new generation of mmo players cannot put up with such hassles (slow leveling, deleveling even, corpse runs, no hand-holding with artificial tools at every corner). It seems that the new generation is destroying their own fun and they are not even really aware of it.

Uff, that was way longer then I intended. I do not blame anyone for :tldr this. ;)

Pretty much said this in another post. It's the way people are now. WoW brought in so many people to the genre, and a lot of them were FPS people, that any game over 10 hours is to long. If you can't hit max level in a day played then it's to slow leveling. If it takes less than 23.9 hrs played to max level there isn't enough content.

There really isn't anything developers can do. They put so much money into the game that if it doesn't keep and hold subs it fails. So they have to make unwanted changes to keep the impatient people happy, which then turns off the rest of the crowd. If they don't put in the changes then people leave, if they do put them in people leave. Then servers become under popluated and the game starts to fail. A lot of it can be traced back to simply leveling to fast.

High level planets have max 6 players, no one is doing world pvp in Illum. People don't talk in chat, and i takes around 3 hours to find a group to flashpoints. What is this, a single player game that i need to pay monthly fee for? No thanks.

Haha...i love threads like these, i enjoy laughing at fools who play mmos without any friends to enjoy it with, rush to level cap then complain.

Have you ever wondered OP why nobody is talking in general chat? it's because they're in party/guild chat having fun with friends and loved ones.

Bye bye i'm off to do some flashpoints with the wife.:csw_falcon:

QFT / ffs, what is it with you new generation of MMO players? You devour MMOS and spit them out..powering to 50 without actually enjoying the ride then blaming the game for it. Lots of people got the game for Christmas, haven't played the hell out of beta and didn't use early access.

If you really think people powering to 50 is new to MMOs, I'm not sure you've been around for very long. Some people strive on achievement or accomplishment and to them, hitting 50 as fast as possible is their own prerogative. Who are you to say otherwise? Maybe some people are complaining about being bored now, but they don't represent the whole group.

With that said, the game has been out for around 17 days now. By no means can you call the fresh level 50s powerlevelers. I hit 50 8-9 days after I got the game. I watched every cutscene, cleared every fp, enjoyed as much of the content as I possible could. The only way I could have extended my gameplay more is if I decided against getting a mount.

Maybe these people aren't fast, maybe you're slow? Some people had the luxury to play as much as they wanted over the past few weeks, and ultimately that let them hit 50 faster. There's nothing "wrong" with them.

I seriously think that companies shoot themselves into the foot with doing "betas" which we all know is just a marketing tool most of the time anyway (at least betas close to release). Today's MMO players do not care for the actual leveling, are all about instant gratification but those are the ones that will leave a game after a few weeks of playing and look for the next best thing anyway.

These betas are put on to catch as many bugs as possible. Software development isn't as simple as movies may have you believe. Different hardware and different drivers can create a giant mess with the simplest of actions.

I fail to see how it's a marketing tool. Does it help in the marketing department? Probably. But last I checked, correlation doesn't imply causation.

In regards to your statement about "today's MMO players," that's largely speculation with your limited view of the community. Perhaps you could back that up with more concrete evidence.

Seriously, I just started playing and the amount of "the game is dead", "there is nothing to do at lvl 50" posts just makes me laugh for so many reasons I cannot even start to put them down in written words :)

That's a bit sadistic, especially since you're not in their position.

Or the outcries for lfg tools. My god, what would you guys have done back when there weren't even AH. You know, while leveling you actually had to make friends along the way and that was part of the social experience. That also meant the was never a shortage of people to group with. Heck, even here: I already made friends even though I started on a server I knew I would not stay on. The faster you level the faster you outgrow content the faster you outgrow rewards, the less you are inclined or interested in the leveling process per se (what a nice merry-go-round).

When I was your age....

Times have changed and so have the people. Maybe you had a good time making friends while leveling, some people are into the game for the same reasons.

There is an extent to how slow you can level, sometimes the answer isn't as simple as "stop leveling so fast."

You want to level fast and instant gratification which in turn means you are only playing for end-game in a game that has been released a bit over a week ago..there is something very flawed in expectations of a certain player group compared to mmo designs in general.

Also, what did you guys expect? That all the content you powered through even before release would magically reappear at lvl 50?

I have seen this tendency and the dilemma arise within the last few years of MMO design and community development and I am curious to see where this eventually will lead :)

You don't know the reasons they level and shouldn't make assumptions about it. This game hasn't been around "just over a week," the release of the game was nothing more than a formality, the game was introduced around 17 days ago.

Some people would expect a little more at 50, just because it's never been done in the pas doesn't mean things can't change now.

This tendency is simply that a different kind of person can play the MMO now. They've grown much more popular in present days. As it turns out, you appear to be in the minority. The new people have caused the game to change in ways you probably don't like, and you seem to be lashing out at them.

One idea is to make the leveling process harder, like in the old days but then the new generation of mmo players cannot put up with such hassles (slow leveling, deleveling even, corpse runs, no hand-holding with artificial tools at every corner). It seems that the new generation is destroying their own fun and they are not even really aware of it.

Uff, that was way longer then I intended. I do not blame anyone for :tldr this. ;)

They tried making the leveling process harder, but people were against it. Once again let me say that there is a new type of person playing this game. They enjoy things that you may not. You don't know what they like, you can't just say they're too stupid to know what they enjoy. The majority is winning out, and you don't like where the genre you once loved is going, but bashing others isn't the answer.

I got to 50 on the 18th and didn't skip any conversations or cut scenes. Yeah there isn't much going on end game yet. and what there is PvE wise is a huge bug fest.

I just log in, do my dailies, help some guildies, then log on an alt.

I'm calling you out on this one. No way in hell you got to 50 in 5 days without skipping any conversations.

Yea take into account that many people took part in the early access and many did not. I started at launch and have two level 20 characters. There are many people trying all of the classes on one side to get a feel for what they like. I would probably level another char, because you probably won't see endgame junkies for another month or so. Give it time, that player base will catch up to you :)

well thats because most people dont powerlevel ... when i got to 50 there were about 10 other 50s on my Server ... OF COURSE it feels dead on Ilum and Corellia ...

give it 2 or 3 more weeks and you will see an improvment...average lvl at the moment is somewhere around 30 ...

last night 170 people on coro, people are there, alot doing new toons still picking the class or side they want, Im pretty settled on Sage but im still jumping into alts to see how they play.

The game does seem quiet, yeah I see people running around but chat is quiet, fleet with 50 people isnt busy, its strange.

If thats what you think... bye! /waves see you next time.

If you really think people powering to 50 is new to MMOs, I'm not sure you've been around for very long. Some people strive on achievement or accomplishment and to them, hitting 50 as fast as possible is their own prerogative. Who are you to say otherwise? Maybe some people are complaining about being bored now, but they don't represent the whole group.

In case you have not noticed, I was answering a specific OP by a specific person. If you feel attacked (like you obviosly did), then that is your own problem :)

I did not say everyone powering to 50 is like the OP because there are lvl 50s who are not coming on the boards complaining about what OP is complaining but instead making good arguments for making sure they will not neglect the end game in the days to come.

Not to mention, I am a powergamer myself, or at least used to be. Since I was not really interested in SWTOR I, for once, did not play betas and all that comes with being hyped up for an MMO. Been there done that and thus I know what I am talking about, because I fell into the exact same trap with other games.

With that said, the game has been out for around 17 days now. By no means can you call the fresh level 50s powerlevelers. I hit 50 8-9 days after I got the game. I watched every cutscene, cleared every fp, enjoyed as much of the content as I possible could. The only way I could have extended my gameplay more is if I decided against getting a mount.

Maybe these people aren't fast, maybe you're slow? Some people had the luxury to play as much as they wanted over the past few weeks, and ultimately that let them hit 50 faster. There's nothing "wrong" with them.

No arguing here but that was not my point. Again, there are many players who played fast but they are not complaining as far as I can see or complain about other issues. Not lack of population.

These betas are put on to catch as many bugs as possible. Software development isn't as simple as movies may have you believe. Different hardware and different drivers can create a giant mess with the simplest of actions.

I fail to see how it's a marketing tool. Does it help in the marketing department? Probably. But last I checked, correlation doesn't imply causation.

I know this is going to be a statement you can believe, or not: I worked in mmo development for quite a few years and no offense but the betas before release are a) stress tests and b) marketing tool to generate hype. While an MMO is a constant work in progress, close to release there are no huge changes that haven't been planned way before. Even if people think they gave valuable input, 99% of the time that input has been known and worked on way before the public or invited beta testers gave feedback.

Development works with a alpha testers way before it is even known, and most of the time (specially for western development) "beta" testers get invited way late and there are maybe a few small bugs that can be fixed this way, specially if you have tens of thousands testers swarming your servers. Again, if you compare the amount of people who are actually "testing" and submitting bugs (or think of the ones getting into betas for the sole purpose of finding exploits..) then you see why I say the betas close to release are mostly a marketing tool.

In regards to your statement about "today's MMO players," that's largely speculation with your limited view of the community. Perhaps you could back that up with more concrete evidence.

Again, I am comming from an mmo development and community background and I started to get involved in communities and GMing back in the days of Everquest and never stopped until now. Maybe that gives you a little insight of how well I do know MMO communities :)

That's a bit sadistic, especially since you're not in their position.

completely lost as to how "sadistic' would fit in any of my text

When I was your age....

Times have changed and so have the people. Maybe you had a good time making friends while leveling, some people are into the game for the same reasons.

There is an extent to how slow you can level, sometimes the answer isn't as simple as "stop leveling so fast."

I am not sure how the first and the second part fit together, I do agree on the second part though. Part of the issue is that the leveling process in general might be too fast.

As to the first part, I will never understand why people choose to play an MMO yet are not interested in interacting with other players. That's just me though..I guess..

You don't know the reasons they level and shouldn't make assumptions about it.

This game hasn't been around "just over a week," the release of the game was nothing more than a formality, the game was introduced around 17 days ago.

Some people would expect a little more at 50, just because it's never been done in the pas doesn't mean things can't change now.

This tendency is simply that a different kind of person can play the MMO now. They've grown much more popular in present days. As it turns out, you appear to be in the minority. The new people have caused the game to change in ways you probably don't like, and you seem to be lashing out at them.

You accuse me of making assumptions about others while you are making assumptions about me and the rest of the community as well. For once, where did I say I do not like how games changed? My whole post was that people complain about issues they cause themselves. Also, if I would be lashing out at someone or something, believe me, you would notice ;)

There is nothing wrong with expecting more at lvl 50 but again, I have been around long enough to know that this is never the case simply due to how MMO development works. Also, I would think that from all the information out there people should not be so surprised. But then, I know not to be hyped up too much about any newly released game, little expectation leads to less frustration. However, I am not using this as an argument. I am aware that I cannot expect everyone to act like that :)

They tried making the leveling process harder, but people were against it. Once again let me say that there is a new type of person playing this game. They enjoy things that you may not. You don't know what they like, you can't just say they're too stupid to know what they enjoy. The majority is winning out, and you don't like where the genre you once loved is going, but bashing others isn't the answer.

Again, you are accusing me of having said or implied things I did not even talk about.

Where did I say I do not like where things are going? Do you know if I enjoy the game or not? Or to what extend?

And I kind of thought that the whole point of my post was that there is a new kind of person playing the game, yet there is not only a new and an old kind..there are tons of different shades in between and I was talking about the kind that likes to level fast and then comes to the forums and declares the game dead because there is not enough content or not enough lvl 50s to play with.

And once again, I was neither bashing nor lashing out at someone. Merely stating my opinion in a calm way and compared to others, taking the time to mention why I think it's some players creating their own issues.

Or let me make another example of why you probably did not really understand why I posted what I posted in THIS thread: See the "leveling is too fast" thread? I did not post in that one because that person is probably right, yet this thread was titled "Game feels dead". It very well might feel to him that way because a lot of players are not lvl 50 yet, but is it the players fault who did not level fast enough?

Edited by Kyomih

I have to wonder about the people that say it was so easy to hit 50 just by casually playing a couple hours a day after work, and they did't skip anything etc etc.

I have to say this sounds a lot like pure BS. I've played what I consider a lot, probably far more than I would like to admit and the highest I have is a level 30.

I don't find anything about the game particularly difficult at all, but I actually HAVE taken the time to complete everything and watch every dialog, do every heroic.

I've found I've over-leveled the content I am on drastically. I'm 30 and just starting Tatooine because I've also done quite a few flash-points.

So yeah the people who have seen and done absolutely every last option AND hit 50 in a week by playing here and there after work, yeah sorry but I'm going to go with you're full of ****. You space-barred through things and skipped stuff more likely.

Edited by savagepotato

Not every one is lv50 yet you should see a lot more people in those areas in the coming weeks, I my self have been playing since the 13th and only have a lv32 SW
I don't see many people in the leveling zones either... I'm wondering if it's related to instancing or something.