[Guide] The Watchmen and Combat PvE basics

BlznSmri

Focus PvE Build

I am only lvl 40 right now. Wanted to give it a go with Focus, what you think? I need something with leveling livability because I find single targets a bore and groups get me good. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I like what Focus has to offer, wasn't sure if I should skip out on Force Exhaustion till later and go with the 3% Accuracy early... trying to figure my self out.

Also, did stat priority change for 1.6? I'm also trying to get my gear in order (been outta the game since Feb :o)

+1 for sticky!

I'm lvl 37 watchmen and not having any problems with mobs. I either tear them down real quick with Kira or stay pretty much fully healed with doc. I've been told watchmen has the most survivalibilty for PVE and still has good dps. I'm enjoying it at least.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Focus PvE Build

I am only lvl 40 right now. Wanted to give it a go with Focus, what you think? I need something with leveling livability because I find single targets a bore and groups get me good. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I like what Focus has to offer, wasn't sure if I should skip out on Force Exhaustion till later and go with the 3% Accuracy early... trying to figure my self out.

Also, did stat priority change for 1.6? I'm also trying to get my gear in order (been outta the game since Feb :o)

+1 for sticky!

Focus doesn't really leave much room for mistakes in making their PvE build so you're on the right track, that said, I don't recommend Focus for anything outside of dailies, the damage potential isn't the same and the rotation is just clunky compared to Watchmen and Combat.

I'm probably gonna get the idiot label for this but...

I just hit 50 with combat spec and I am applying the same principle to my sentinel as I did on my guardian. I stack accuracy, power, and surge, don't worry about stacking crit, the abilities you need to crit with have an auto crit proc. Using this on my guardian has served me well in ops and hm flashpoints, he is a beast. Thus far with my sentinel, applying this stat system, my sentinel is also a freaking monster, the mobs run in terror. :D Just throwing my 2 cents in, some of you might want to try this and see how it fairs for you.

Reminder: this is in combat spec only, it is my understanding that this would definitely NOT apply to watchman because the burn abilities are VERY crit reliant and dont have many auto crits.

I'm probably gonna get the idiot label for this but...

I just hit 50 with combat spec and I am applying the same principle to my sentinel as I did on my guardian. I stack accuracy, power, and surge, don't worry about stacking crit, the abilities you need to crit with have an auto crit proc. Using this on my guardian has served me well in ops and hm flashpoints, he is a beast. Thus far with my sentinel, applying this stat system, my sentinel is also a freaking monster, the mobs run in terror. :D Just throwing my 2 cents in, some of you might want to try this and see how it fairs for you.

Reminder: this is in combat spec only, it is my understanding that this would definitely NOT apply to watchman because the burn abilities are VERY crit reliant and dont have many auto crits.

You only have 1 auto crit ability in Combat spec and it's not even your heaviest hitter. I can't stress this enough, there is not a single dps spec in the game that should ignore crit rating outright. The returns on 125-150 crit rating are enormous and EVERYONE aside from tanks should grab at least that much.

You only have 1 auto crit ability in Combat spec and it's not even your heaviest hitter. I can't stress this enough, there is not a single dps spec in the game that should ignore crit rating outright. The returns on 125-150 crit rating are enormous and EVERYONE aside from tanks should grab at least that much.

Pretty much what this guy said.

Crit, while unnecessary if you're looking purely at the talents, is a DPS gain up until the DR Curve becomes really steep (after 328 rating).

I personally still prefer to do a PS cycle of;

BR > PS > Blade Storm > BRx2-3

but I haven't played around with the other cycles just yet.

This is the ideal order for the non-Master Strike/Ravage burst window, provided that you have low latency and good reflexes (and minimal wasted time with GCD sitting up). It can be tricky to execute, but provides the best overall DPS if done right.

This order permits a 3rd Blade Storm/Force Scream per two burst windows. It doesn't benefit from 100% ArPen, but it still hits harder(with forced crit) than Blade Rush/Massacre for the same resource cost.

The caveat is that this Blade Storm/Scream *must* be used immediately upon the skill coming off CD after the burst window, to avoid delaying the next MS/Ravage burst window.

Done right, you are optimizing your damage per resource and damage per GCD (as Storm/Scream with forced crit is your best DPR and DPGCD besides MS/Ravage)

Would doing aFocys/Combat hybrid be a good idea for a OvE/PvP balance?

PvP isn't my forte so I really can't tell you. Though I do tend to stay away from Hybrid builds since Full Watchmen/ Combat out dps pretty much every Hybrid build I've seen.

In my opinion, with respecs being free for subscribers, if you're going to do PvE, spec full PvE, if you're going to PvP, spec full PvP, you'll already need two different sets of gear to be viable in either.

Edited by BlznSmri

PvP isn't my forte so I really can't tell you. Though I do tend to stay away from Hybrid builds since Full Watchmen/ Combat out dps pretty much every Hybrid build I've seen.

In my opinion, with respecs being free for subscribers, if you're going to do PvE, spec full PvE, if you're going to PvP, spec full PvP, you'll already need two different sets of gear to be viable in either.

Alright, I'll be going Combat, then.

This is the ideal order for the non-Master Strike/Ravage burst window, provided that you have low latency and good reflexes (and minimal wasted time with GCD sitting up). It can be tricky to execute, but provides the best overall DPS if done right.

This order permits a 3rd Blade Storm/Force Scream per two burst windows. It doesn't benefit from 100% ArPen, but it still hits harder(with forced crit) than Blade Rush/Massacre for the same resource cost.

The caveat is that this Blade Storm/Scream *must* be used immediately upon the skill coming off CD after the burst window, to avoid delaying the next MS/Ravage burst window.

Done right, you are optimizing your damage per resource and damage per GCD (as Storm/Scream with forced crit is your best DPR and DPGCD besides MS/Ravage)

I've been doing this the last few weeks of carnage play as I had done it on accident and realized the difference. I can confidently hit gore>fs>Massx3> etc etc> FS at CD> gore>ravage>scream now every rotation and it is a pretty good size DPS increase. It comes out to 6 screams per minute, rather than 4, and even without gore window up its still your 2nd highest DPGCD ability behind ravage as you said. Overall, close to 50 dps increase as its a cheap 2 rage ability for 4 fury as well.

So this is a great guide for this class and this is the only class that I play as a level 50. I have a set of pvp gear and pve gear and have a quick question regarding accuracy running combat spec for pve. I currently run BH gear optimized with dread guard belt, bracers and hilts. (A couple other 27's as well) Following the traditional 30% crit 75% surge and stacking strength with a little power I have come down to accuracy. As a watchman i was running 99.89% and was trying to get one more piece to get me above 100% but as a combat senty my accuracy gets buffed up to just under 107% i think. Now my question is that I have been told by a few that run combat that having between 105 and 110% acc is important to combat. Is this true? Am I wasting bh coms/credits on accuracy? I did notice a 150-200dps increase when I switched to combat with the added accuracy but I want to make sure I'm not wasting stats.

So this is a great guide for this class and this is the only class that I play as a level 50. I have a set of pvp gear and pve gear and have a quick question regarding accuracy running combat spec for pve. I currently run BH gear optimized with dread guard belt, bracers and hilts. (A couple other 27's as well) Following the traditional 30% crit 75% surge and stacking strength with a little power I have come down to accuracy. As a watchman i was running 99.89% and was trying to get one more piece to get me above 100% but as a combat senty my accuracy gets buffed up to just under 107% i think. Now my question is that I have been told by a few that run combat that having between 105 and 110% acc is important to combat. Is this true? Am I wasting bh coms/credits on accuracy? I did notice a 150-200dps increase when I switched to combat with the added accuracy but I want to make sure I'm not wasting stats.

From what I've read the "Optimal" amount of Accuracy for Combat is like 102% Melee Accuracy (this is based off Sims), all other enhancements after that should be Surge. If you're going to be switching back and forth from Watchmen to Combat regularly, I'd say get 2 or the 3 extra pieces of gear to swap out, one for each set.

Thanks for the Guide.

As a rookie Sentinel i found it most useful.

Currently Im a level 23 and already overwhelmed by the number of Damage abilities the class provides.

No other class is so Keyboard-Consuming on Damage.. lol..

Though i would disagree on the Focus part.

I think the Focus is ideal for leveling because of its AOE capabilities. The whole PvE leveling is consists of encounters with mobs packs of 4-5..

sweep-smash - half of mobs are dead..

And more important - (from the brief inspection) the points spend on Focus in 10-30 lvl bracket are providing more benefits than the other two trees....

Edited by Missandei

Well yeah, Focus does have it's benefits, it's just that outside of leveling, 2 current tier fights, and PvP, Focus just isn't comparable to Watchmen or Combat, with it usually doing 100-200 dps less than either.

I am thinking of expanding my guide though, might do some leveling tips as I level a Marauder, but we'll have to see, currently leveling a Slinger to get the final class buff....

Well yeah, Focus does have it's benefits, it's just that outside of leveling, 2 current tier fights, and PvP, Focus just isn't comparable to Watchmen or Combat, with it usually doing 100-200 dps less than either.

I am thinking of expanding my guide though, might do some leveling tips as I level a Marauder, but we'll have to see, currently leveling a Slinger to get the final class buff....

Surprisingly, we have a mara on our server that runs smash spec for pve, he posted up a 2k parse a while back. I was pretty surprised, I didn't think it could even get that high lol. I suppose that is still 200 behind seeing as carnage tends to be able to hit up to and upwards of 2.2k though lol.

Surprisingly, we have a mara on our server that runs smash spec for pve, he posted up a 2k parse a while back. I was pretty surprised, I didn't think it could even get that high lol. I suppose that is still 200 behind seeing as carnage tends to be able to hit up to and upwards of 2.2k though lol.

Do you have a name so I can see said parse?

I for one love combat spec and yes its a bit tricky with my latency but i make it work.

Quick question any specific stats i should pursue? Other than strenght, also im trying to go for the cheaper blue augments as i really dont see spending 1.4m credits on 20 additional power/endurance

I for one love combat spec and yes its a bit tricky with my latency but i make it work.

Quick question any specific stats i should pursue? Other than strenght, also im trying to go for the cheaper blue augments as i really dont see spending 1.4m credits on 20 additional power/endurance

Get the Might Augment 21's, cheaper kits, cheaper augmenting, only a 14 endurance difference total.

Ok, so I'm a Sentinel lvl 50, gear is half Columi, half Black Hole (on process of replacing the Columi).

When I traded the Columi chest piece for the Black Hole, my damage went down a bit, but Critical Chance and Multiplier went up - I imagine it is a worthy trade-off, correct? Or should I customize the chest piece?

Couple of extras questions: which lightsaber crystal (for PVE) should I be using? Both of mine are +41 Power.

And second, is it worth to replace Rakata Relic of Forbidden Secrets (on use gives +175 to Crit Rating and Surge) for Dread Guard Relic of Boundless Age (on use, +350 Power) ?

Thank you

Crit/ Surge relics are a complete waste. You get to your Crit and Surge caps from your gear. Get the DG Power Relic.

You don't want to sit at any less than 150 Crit or any more than 350 rating. Cap Surge and Accuracy then stack Power all the way. It doesn't really matter what crystal you use, just so long as your other mods and enhancements are balanced.

Do you have a name so I can see said parse?

Its got some weird alt codes on the e's and I don't know the codes for them, but we're on the Harbinger; his name is Creep .

EDIT:

Found it, without any edit he's at 1985 dps after combat ends. TBH, Its pretty damn impressive, seeing as I've never managed to break 1900 in the spec. I can sit at 1850ish on a good day in Rage lol

http://www.torparse.com/a/91531/4/0/Damage+Dealt

Edited by IAmViiOLENT

I just translated Omophorus his post from your Marauder thread to make it easier to understand for Sentinels.

I hope I made no mistakes. Here his post, but with the names of the Sentinel's abilities.

There are 2 primary Precision Slash patterns, which you basically alternate due to CDs (Precision Slash at 15s, Master Strike at 27-30s).

Precision Slash > Master Strike > Blade Storm

Zen > Precision Slash > Blade Rush x3 > Blade Storm

You do not want to delay Precision Slash use more than 1 GCD past coming off CD (0 of at all possible) so you ideally want each Precision Slash window to start with a fresh Combat Trance,

or at the very least the Blade Rush buff (for the Master Strike window) to minimize the chances of missing a forced crit Blade Storm.

For your second question, no, not exactly.

The primary goal with Combat is to use Precision Slash to CD. If it's sitting up off CD, you're losing DPS fast.

The 2 Precision Slash patterns above have different Focus needs to support.

-The Master Strike pattern requires 3 focus (1 for Precision Slash, 2 for Blade Storm)

-The Zen Blade Rush pattern requires 6 (1 for Precision Slash, 1 per Blade Rush, 2 for Blade Stom).

Thus, in between Precision Slashes, your goal is to ensure that you have what you need available for the next Precision Slash.

For Master Strike, this means a minimum of 3 Focus, and preferably the Blade Rush buff and a fresh Combat Trance if at all possible.

For the Zen pattern, it means a minimum of 6 Focus and 30 stacks of Centering (which you can, if necessary, get the final stacks out of Precision Slash and fast-finger Precision Slash > Zen > Blade Rush to still squeeze 3 into the window).

The secondary goal, after the Zen Precision Slash pattern, is to burn any remaining stacks of Zen ASAP so that you can begin building Centering again.

Advanced players may throw Cauterize in as well for a little extra DPS, but that's not something to worry about at the moment.

For all intents and purposes, you're using Zealous Strike as often as possible to keep Focus up, and then using as many Blade Rushes in between Precision Slash windows as possible without leaving yourself short for the next one (and using Strike to keep things balanced).

It's not quite build-then-dump, because you have very deterministic time targets with very deterministic needs that you need to be planning ahead for.

Without taking damage, Centering becomes the tightest resource, but in actual content it's not a big deal and Zen should be up when needed.

There is a bit of a balancing act needed to ensure that you spend enough Focus to have 30 Centering every other Precision Slash, but not leave yourself resource-starved and thus cost yourself DPS during your peak times (or delay Precision Slash, which is just as bad).

Edited by Bughugger

As a SWTOR noob (but NOT an MMO or DPS noob) I appreciate your work. Math is not my forte either.

Since my Sentinel is only 19, this is going to give me a lot to work with.

I only have one other comment: If you are a DPS class, your first job is always "moar dps". Everything else is secondary, including your own survivability ;)

Edited by poneez
Mispellings