SWTOR vs SWG

PeacefulViolence

Finally someone with some sense posted here, damn Biodrone defense force is trying to ruin what could be a great discussion.

Did either of you play the same SWG I played ? hrmmi belive my first quest was on tsarni station go to mine and kill X . I land on Tat Quest for speeder. Go pick up these parts at this waypoint click and come back. Fast Forward to legacy Jabba's place go kill X and Y and come back ! Hey lets do Heroics ok Go kill IG88 X times for this many tokens along with 3 other instances to get one peice of heroic jewlry and you can only do it once a day. Hrmm ok.

Lets try pvp in swg goto restuss. Goto rep/imp base pick up pvp quest kill 5 imp players kill 20 npcs and destroy antenna wow omg that is soooooo original.

OMG NO WAY Invasions goto city invasion craft X and Y for defenses then omg wait for it here it comes something new and never done before yes its Kill X and Y to win the invasion.

All NGE thats all I played from about 04-10 ! But lets see pre-nge go kill random spawns X and Y for hours to get skill points train and go back and kill more. grind random classes for jedi doing what ? Killing X and Y random spawns ? Oh ya.

Now tell me how any of that is different then this game ? Oh wait you can randomly roam around in swg more then you can on this game. Oh dont forget decorating lol. Crafting yes I give swg crafting it was great Seriously. You could monopolize entire spawns that happend once every year and screw new crafters.

Sorry take the rose colored glasses off and see swg for what it was !

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's kinda like saying if the vast majority enjoys Lady Gaga, other genres of music just don't work, therefore shouldn't exist, you can play your dumbed down MMO, i will wait for something revolutionary.

you're asking for a very specific game though. Sure they will eventually make another sandbox MMO but it won't be SWG 2.

It's like saying I really like the 1980s Maddona I want 1980s Maddona back. That will never happen but you will get new artists such as Lady Gaga and others who are similar but different.

If you really want the next generation of Sandbox MMOs then go play Darkfall or Second Life.

Edited by jarjarloves

SWG2 is never coming out, forget about that game. It wasn't good and that's why it isn't alive anymore.

Just because you personally enjoy a style of game, doesn't mean the vast majority of mmo players do.

You just have to accept that a sandbox MMO doesn't work, especially when the vast majority of players started with World of Warcraft.

i guess thats why people still playing Ultima Online???

do you have any idea what real mmorpg players want?

Well WOW...to be honest do you ? WoW seems to be doing very well.....After all this is a buisness and going strictly by the numbers it would appear people want something along the lines of that.....Once again just going strictly by numbers.

This is a swg vs swtor thread so going by the numbers subs and box sets sold aswell it would appear people wanted this game much more. Seeing as their were 1.7 million active subs and I do belive they said that was after the free month.

I somewhat agree with the point your trying to make, but don't you feel that if most of mmo players wanted crafting like swg, player housing, decorating, that they would be in most MMOs? The majority of players who want those features are the minority. Its pretty simple.

Which of the two do you like more and why? Personally i don't understand how you can go from KOTOR 1 and 2 to this, (from what i hear there are some devs that worked on KOTOR on the SWTOR team) i understand those were single player games, but a 2012 MMO to feel like a 2005 MMO or whatever is just plain embarassing, it's the year 2012, get with the times "Bioware" or whoever you are.

With that being said, i would like it if this game was more sandbox style like SWG and had populated worlds where NPC's would roam around, the KOTOR games felt rich with life, this game just feel completely dead, everything in this game looks like an abandoned movie set. Makes me sad, I feel like in the hands of another company this game probably would have been better in at least one aspect.

I actually like SWG more. SWTOR and SWG are just 2 completely different genres of MMOs, and I personally like Sandbox MMO's one hell of a lot more than Themepark. In Sandboxes I tend to always be doing something, in Themepark(doing it right this second in SWTOR), I end up spending my time sitting in the capitol city waiting for raids or groups to form or staring at the auction house while I watch a movie since I'm locked out of everything. In SWG I was getting stuff for my house/ship, hanging out with guildies, setting up a shop, bounty hunting people, warring another guild, or random PvPing.

The problem is most MMO players now can't handle the freedom offered through sandbox MMO's and would rather be on rails the entire time. They get overwhelmed and confused and would rather be told what to do and have a set path to do it. This is why Themepark MMO's like WoW and SWTOR will always be more successful and why we'll probably never see a major company make another sandbox MMO again. There is just no money in it compared to Themepark MMO's.

Edited by Ganrax

I played SWG from publish3 all the way thru the NGE, and even then I stuck around for awhile after I lost all my friends due to the NGE. Kept my account active long after the NGE and would log in at times for the hell of it. I endured the hologrind to unlock my Jedi (unlocked on my 31 profession mastery a day before pub9 which stopped the hologrind) and was also a 9 time ace (3 rep 3 Imperlai 3 neutral). With that being said, I played the HECK out of SWG and I enjoyed pretty much every moment of it. I loved the free roam style you had, and the control you had. Mixing professions along the way, the countless hours spend on crafting, the countless hours doing nothing but visiting the player run and built towns etc. It was so easy to get immersed in doing...nothing and having fun doing it. Theres another thread about swg vs this in terms of crafting somewhere also that I replied to and also posted on.

ToR itself, if a pretty fun game. Took me a week to get to 50 from first wave of early release, and im also Legacy level 34 (yes I have alot of time on my hands at the moment). ToR in itself is part of the new "age" of Mmos, similiar to WoW. Kill x amount of this and that, and basically you have to follow a story line where as SWG was pretty much "do whatever you want, use your imagination, create your own story", which I loved and will miss dearly. There is NO comparison between this and SWG. This is a modern wow. Gamers now a days do not like to spend countless hours crafting or getting good at something, they like the instant gratification that games like this and WoW bring. In SWG you actually had to work hard at something and spend those countless hours/days/weeks to get good at your profession. Sure you had to level up by taking missions from the terminals but once you mastered what YOU wanted to, the game was wide open for you to do anything you want (unlike this where you hit 50, run flashpoints and ops) then what? Ops can be cleared in 2 days maybe 3, and the other 4?

SWG relied on the player to make the game fun for himself. How many people here who played SWG can honestly tell me that one thing they dont miss..is the social aspect that SWG had like the special events in towns (player coordinated), and all that?

SWG catered to people who like to do what they want, when they want, and left it WIDE open for people to create their own stories. WoW and Tor seem to cater to those gamers with ADD who dont like hard work and want purples NOW NOW NOW, but they also cater to the super casual gamers...parents and so on, who do not have the time or patience to spend those countless hours needed to master something.

Player driven content was awesome. There where months that our guild would feud with another guild and we would do nothing but fight in each others cities and every where else we would run into each other. I do miss that.

If I had to pick one thing I truly miss, it would be guild runs to the DWB, where some of you help pave the way for the crafters and the rest would post up outside to keep the opposite faction out lol

Those where some great times.

SWG2 is never coming out, forget about that game. It wasn't good and that's why it isn't alive anymore.

Just because you personally enjoy a style of game, doesn't mean the vast majority of mmo players do.

You just have to accept that a sandbox MMO doesn't work, especially when the vast majority of players started with World of Warcraft.

It wasn't good? So SOE kept this game open for 8 years why then exactly? SWG had a booming population right up until 2010'ish. (Discounting the NGE incident) TOR has been out for under 4 months & it is looking like SWG was at the end already.

In some servers you're lucky to get anyone to talk to you in chat, let alone get a group going. SWG always had that fun, outlandish community that I'm not sure TOR is going to have. SWG had so much you can do there was never a dull moment. You could go grind holos, krayts or what have you. Or if you didn't feel like doing that, go have a chat with an ent in the Eisley Cantina. Tbh, if SWG opened free or not I would go back to it. I would still play TOR, but TOR is no where near a substitute for SWG.. not yet at least.

It wasn't good? So SOE kept this game open for 8 years why then exactly? SWG had a booming population right up until 2010'ish. (Discounting the NGE incident) TOR has been out for under 4 months & it is looking like SWG was at the end already.

In some servers you're lucky to get anyone to talk to you in chat, let alone get a group going. SWG always had that fun, outlandish community that I'm not sure TOR is going to have. SWG had so much you can do there was never a dull moment. You could go grind holos, krayts or what have you. Or if you didn't feel like doing that, go have a chat with an ent in the Eisley Cantina. Tbh, if SWG opened free or not I would go back to it. I would still play TOR, but TOR is no where near a substitute for SWG.. not yet at least.

I wouldnt call 200k booming especialy compared to 1.7 mil in this game

200k back then was booming. In 2003-2005 MMO's were still very much a niche genre of gaming. WoW has mainstreamed the genre since then, meaning a lot more people play MMO's now. If an MMO has 200k now it is pretty much dead, back then 200k would have been doing pretty damn well.

Yes but SWG had no where near as many servers. It was much more compact. Because it was compacted like that there was much more interaction with the other players.

You really cannot compare the two games in this way. TOR is much more spread out, I think they need to cut some servers tbh.

Edited by Aedey

Which of the two do you like more and why? Personally i don't understand how you can go from KOTOR 1 and 2 to this, (from what i hear there are some devs that worked on KOTOR on the SWTOR team) i understand those were single player games, but a 2012 MMO to feel like a 2005 MMO or whatever is just plain embarassing, it's the year 2012, get with the times "Bioware" or whoever you are.

With that being said, i would like it if this game was more sandbox style like SWG and had populated worlds where NPC's would roam around, the KOTOR games felt rich with life, this game just feel completely dead, everything in this game looks like an abandoned movie set. Makes me sad, I feel like in the hands of another company this game probably would have been better in at least one aspect.

yeah, I honestly was hoping for a new kotor 3. But then I thought "hey, maybe this mmo will be better then just a kotor 3." guess I was wrong. I feel like I cant even trust them if they tried to make a new kotor. Anyways, I prefered swg. Although I only played for 5 1/2 years or so, I never got bored logging in every day. Always had something to do, and the community was not made up of over-used meme's and trolls like it is here. In swtor, its been about 3 months and Im completely done with everything. Now luckily, http://www.projectswg.com/forums/index.php?sid=960e9c6631189677e827654a25c5f9b1 is going to be coming out eventually, so I just have to wait.

All in all, swg wins in almost every aspect.

Totally true, there was so much you could do. pvp, pvp armor, crafting, the crapload of collections, social interaction, space, galactic wars in bestine, naboo and coruscant, heroics, and so much more.

Totally true, there was so much you could do. pvp, pvp armor, crafting, the crapload of collections, social interaction, space, galactic wars in bestine, naboo and coruscant, heroics, and so much more.

Too bad nobody played that game to do even 75% of the stuff you mentioned.

Must have been because all those things you mentioned sound good on paper and were actually very terrible in-game.

SWG was not a good game. Some people enjoyed it for the people they played with, but that makes a good community, not a good game. Playing SWG without others was plain boring and felt like a waste of time. SWTOR offers me the ability to log in at 4am when my guildies aren't on and still have a great time.

You may want sandbox, but it really hasn't ever been implemented in a way that would compete with today's top MMOs. Ever. I have never seen a Sandbox game claim nearly what WoW and SWTOR are drawing in. Look at the upcoming MMOs. GW2 had over a million requests for beta in less than 3 days. SWG, at it's best, had less than half of that.

Hello everyone! Several posts have been removed from this thread for straying off-topic. As you continue to participate in this thread, please remember to heed the Rules of Conduct.

As a general reminder:

• Insults - Please do not resort to or use them in any way in your posts. Posts should be productive, not destructive.
  • Trolling - Please do not post messages that are purposefully designed to provoke, antagonize, or otherwise elicit a negative emotional response.
  • Agree to Disagree - Be respectful of others' viewpoints even if they are opposite of your own. Discuss disagreements constructively.
  • Flag, Don't Fight - Utilize the Flag Post feature to report possible rules violations, rather than responding to or fighting them.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Finally someone with some sense posted here, damn Biodrone defense force is trying to ruin what could be a great discussion.

Yes damn those fanboys for disagreeing with you. You came here wanting people's opinions on SWG v SWTOR yet people did exactly that offered their opinions and they collided with yours, so now you brand them "fanboys " got to love that line you people use, never gets old huh?

It's against the rules to call posters, trolls or to deem a thread trolling, so I'll just point out that there are NPCs roaming about on nearly every world. Some places like Nar Shaddaa have hundreds.

The OP means npcs taht actually move around and talk to other npcs that they interact with. IE, Vader landing in Theed with Storm Troopers and walking around the town. In SWG there were npcs that were on timers that only came out an interacted with players when certain events were triggered. That's what a lot of people want to see in this game.

In some servers you're lucky to get anyone to talk to you in chat, let alone get a group going. SWG always had that fun, outlandish community that I'm not sure TOR is going to have. SWG had so much you can do there was never a dull moment. You could go grind holos, krayts or what have you. Or if you didn't feel like doing that, go have a chat with an ent in the Eisley Cantina. Tbh, if SWG opened free or not I would go back to it. I would still play TOR, but TOR is no where near a substitute for SWG.. not yet at least.[/

You can't be serious. The population of swg was dying around 2008, then you saw a slight increase due to soe being hacked then getting 45 free days to play. The amountnof people playing tor ***** on what swg ever had, but I do feel that tor could merge servers. What you described as being fun could be done in this game, you can grind in this game then go back to the space stations and talk

I'm so glad Swg has gone. It should have been put to death years before it did. I don't see how anyone can criticise tor for server populations when Swg servers were devoid of life for years. "so much to do in swg" I forgot how many posts I read asking what people did when they log on.... Most replied logged off 30 mins later.

Swg had a booming community until 2010ish.... What a load of bollocks! I returned to swg in 2008 and it was dead then..... So dead I spent 75 quid moving toons trying to find people to play with

Swg alienated the mmo community more than any other in history. It doesn't need people coming to tor forums wearing rose tinted specs and making new players to the star wars universe think they missed out on a better star wars francise.... They haven't

Edited by Tsukuni

Some more stuff to add

In SWG you could craft and do nothing else and still play for HOURS.

The crafting system was over complicated, and pain in the butt, impossible to do if you joined late because there were no good rescources ever, and took way too long, not to mention it was incredibly mind numbing

Even just running a city you can be there for hours. Wasn't much to do in the cities really besides just...stand there

I didn't play WoW very much but i guarantee every class here has the same class over there.

Replies in green

I played SWG from publish3 all the way thru the NGE, and even then I stuck around for awhile after I lost all my friends due to the NGE. Kept my account active long after the NGE and would log in at times for the hell of it. I endured the hologrind to unlock my Jedi (unlocked on my 31 profession mastery a day before pub9 which stopped the hologrind) and was also a 9 time ace (3 rep 3 Imperlai 3 neutral). With that being said, I played the HECK out of SWG and I enjoyed pretty much every moment of it. I loved the free roam style you had, and the control you had. Mixing professions along the way, the countless hours spend on crafting, the countless hours doing nothing but visiting the player run and built towns etc. It was so easy to get immersed in doing...nothing and having fun doing it. Theres another thread about swg vs this in terms of crafting somewhere also that I replied to and also posted on.

ToR itself, if a pretty fun game. Took me a week to get to 50 from first wave of early release, and im also Legacy level 34 (yes I have alot of time on my hands at the moment). ToR in itself is part of the new "age" of Mmos, similiar to WoW. Kill x amount of this and that, and basically you have to follow a story line where as SWG was pretty much "do whatever you want, use your imagination, create your own story", which I loved and will miss dearly. There is NO comparison between this and SWG. This is a modern wow. Gamers now a days do not like to spend countless hours crafting or getting good at something, they like the instant gratification that games like this and WoW bring. In SWG you actually had to work hard at something and spend those countless hours/days/weeks to get good at your profession. Sure you had to level up by taking missions from the terminals but once you mastered what YOU wanted to, the game was wide open for you to do anything you want (unlike this where you hit 50, run flashpoints and ops) then what? Ops can be cleared in 2 days maybe 3, and the other 4?

SWG relied on the player to make the game fun for himself. How many people here who played SWG can honestly tell me that one thing they dont miss..is the social aspect that SWG had like the special events in towns (player coordinated), and all that?

SWG catered to people who like to do what they want, when they want, and left it WIDE open for people to create their own stories. WoW and Tor seem to cater to those gamers with ADD who dont like hard work and want purples NOW NOW NOW, but they also cater to the super casual gamers...parents and so on, who do not have the time or patience to spend those countless hours needed to master something.

This is about the best reply I have seen...I have only ever played 2 other MMO's SWG till its death and AoC, I would have liked to see more of the SWG ideas added to this game myself, crafting and open world with housing/cities....I am enjoying this game, but loved SWG for the same reasons as mentioned above.

SWTOR has WAY more content at launch than lazy SOE devs managed to develop in eight years.

I used to love SWG for it's community and social side, not the game. Whenever i came back after taking a break i was coming back to my friends, never for the game.

The last months of SWG when we were practically flooded with content, proved more than anything how extremely lazy SWG devs were all those years.

Replies in green

I guess you never had a city to defend, or your guilds Jedi being hunted. Being in one of the leading Imperial PvP guilds on my SWG server, also the one with the most Jedi enemies were always in my city. We were the only imperials on a rebel infested Dantooine.

Crafting was not over complicated, it just took some intelligence and business savvy. As a crafter you could always compete. I made a alt a year into the game to craft. And i did just fine. You could always make a 80% composite armor even with crappy resources. Something small to get you into the market then higher quality as you invest more time.

Better than this point and click thing that we have here. Levels i can deal with, crafting a baby monkey could do I cannot.