From 400 in Cybertech to 400 in Biochem

byronpac

In the beginning, Cybertech seemed the best choice for my Level 50 Bounty Hunter Merc. Now I've realised I hardly use my grenades and until I run some endgame content, I won't have any mods past level 22 to craft and sell. So, except for my Assassin Droid schematics, I have little need to use my Cybertech skill.

I'm seriously considering changing to Biochemistry and picking up Bioanalysis and Diplomacy along the way.

Additionally, BH Companions also have crit and/or efficiency bonuses to all three skills!

What I'm NOT certain of are what reusable Chems/Medpacks are available at the highest level.

With 2.0 coming, I'd really appreciate some advice if changing to Biochem is a good idea!

EDIT: Changed the sentence in italics - Any advice on what endgame Biochem items are available is also much appreciated!

Edited by byronpac

They've said before that the reuseables are not a mechanic they intend to repeat, so it seems unlikely there will be a lot of BoP purple consumeables at the new tiers. You may want to pick up a biochem alt to make stuff for yourself, but it doesn't seem like there will be any skill you need to have just to be able to use particular must-have kit at the endgame anymore.

I'm not sure what kind of armorings/mods you can craft in 2.0, but I think that keeping cybertech is a smart thing to do if you want to make money. Cybertech mats are extremely expensive, but the return is amazing.

Biochem is more of a money saver than a money earner. You can craft Implants which sell for a very decent amount of credits, but the money saving comes with the stims and medpac's you craft. Biochem mats are cheaper, and the return is decent.

Another way to look at it is: Cybertech is more of a benefiting yourself skill and biochem is a benefiting everyone skill.

They've said before that the reuseables are not a mechanic they intend to repeat, so it seems unlikely there will be a lot of BoP purple consumeables at the new tiers. You may want to pick up a biochem alt to make stuff for yourself, but it doesn't seem like there will be any skill you need to have just to be able to use particular must-have kit at the endgame anymore.

Thanks for the quick reply. Regarding reusables, even if I did have an alt that can make them, my main would need Biochem at 400 to use those items, correct?

What about Exotech stims etc.? Don't they also require Biochem to use?

They may have said that, but it appears they lied, as there are currently purple reusable of the current top stim/, med-pack/adrenal available on PTS

Thanks for the quick reply. Regarding reusables, even if I did have an alt that can make them, my main would need Biochem at 400 to use those items, correct?

What about Exotech stims etc.? Don't they also require Biochem to use?

In short no. The only items currently that require Biochem to use are the Re-usable (Purple) crafted items. Other that that any item crafted in Biochem can be crafted for any one to use.

Edited by DarthSeraph

In the beginning, Cybertech seemed the best choice for my Level 50 Bounty Hunter Merc. Now I've realised I hardly use my grenades and until I run some endgame content, I won't have any mods past level 22 to craft and sell. So, except for my Assassin Droid schematics, I have little need to use my Cybertech skill.

I'm seriously considering changing to Biochemistry and picking up Bioanalysis and Diplomacy along the way.

Additionally, BH Companions also have crit and/or efficiency bonuses to all three skills!

What I'm NOT certain of are what reusable Chems/Medpacks are available at the highest level.

With 2.0 coming, I'd really appreciate some advice if changing to Biochem is a good idea!

EDIT: Changed the sentence in italics - Any advice on what endgame Biochem items are available is also much appreciated!

Are you crazy man? Don't drop Cyber!!

Cybertech is the skill to gain financial independence now and in 2.0, but lets talk about what you could do.

Stims and Medpacks of the Exotech variety are good, but really you just need a mule. Just do some prep work now. Hopefully you got UWT as your mission skill. Get as many companion gifts as possible, and level an ALT that is also geared for biochem, to around 30(3 companions), That is enough to make more than enough to make the stims/medpaks you need. You can also get the ship droid part to increase Bio Eff, so god no, don't drop Cyber....

Well, if you stick with cybertech and start rolling in credits you'll be able to afford to use reusable grenades and exotech stims and whatever medpacks (or new tiers). I myself use Biochem on just about all of my chars since I swap too characters too often to get anywhere near having 22 mods for cyber. The only char I have cybertech on is my Sniper which I don't often use, partly because grenades are such a long cooldown. That being said, I only really PvP so the medpacks and stims are helpful.

Thanks for all the replies... I shall hold on to Cybertech for the time being. Despite being on The Bastion (PVP server), the RP side of me was never too comfortable with Biochem for a BH. Hence my choice of Cybertech, Scavenging and UTW. :) You've put my mind at ease!

As said above, keep Cybertech, especially for RE'ing armorings and mods!

What you could do is pick up Bioanalysis and harvest mats to send to an alt, have that alt make stims and medpacks for your main.

You don't need the reusable stuff, although they are very handy to have, but if you can fund your own stims and medpacks from your main, you'll be saving money.

I got a 400 Biochem dont drop cyber tech if you really want to make money,

exotech stims are not cheap or easy to make, they are made in stacks of 3 if you crit you get one extra, dont have the game up but to craft the stims it takes 4 purple level 6 mats from diplomacy to craft them, I currently think I am around 4 stacks of blue grade 6 matts and have maybe 3 or 4 purple just because the return rate is so low for that.

implants 25 to 50 are nice for alt but that is really one of the best parts besides the money you save from stims and unless you are running TFB HM EC NiM you dont really need the stims if in Black hole armor already